Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

Okay, we all know that fast food is, at best, not good for you...but we've (almost?) all had it at one time or another, right?

Assuming you cheat now and then or even use it as a last resort because of lack of time and its very virtue of being "fast" food, what is your preference?

McDonald's?

Burger King?

Wendy's?

Something else entirely not involving burgers? Share your guilty fast food choices here!

For burgers, I like Wendy's, but I do like Mickey D's for the fries...and their Quarter Pounders are good. (Actually, I do like my Mickey D's cheeseburgers, too. So, I guess my childhood preference still exists.)

Non burgers? Hmm. Popeye's Chicken!

I like Wendy's burgers okay, but I miss their old fries!  And embarrassingly, every year when Lent rolls around I love the fried fish sandwiches at Wendy's!  They are a million times better than the filet o' fish at McDonald's and I probably eat more than I should.

• Love 3

Arby's and thankfully they don't have one in any city near us or I'd be there once a week.  My love for them goes back to before I even knew the name of the restaurant.  My parents brought us there once and all I remembered besides how much I loved their sandwiches was the 10-gallon hat out front. One day, when we were driving to D.C for vacation it was lunch time and my parents were discussing where to stop to eat and I saw an Arby's and asked if we could eat at the place with the big cowboy hat.  It took them a second to get it, but they did and that's where we ate that day. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

I agree about missing Wendy's old fries. I tried the new ones, but they aren't good. 

There are a bunch of fast food places I LOVE but are only in certain areas of the country. I love El Pollo Loco and have to get it anytime I'm in CA. I don't know why nobody else has that kind of rotisserie chicken with a drive-thru option. I love all the 'Mexican Grill' taco options  - La Salsa, Baja Fresh, Rubios, Sharkey's. I miss those too. 

I love Baja Fresh!

In the DC area, there used to be a big chain sort of like Arby's only better, called Roy Rogers. McDonald's bought up most of the locations and converted them to McD's, which I loathe. But there are a few Roys left, and I never pass one by without stopping.

• Love 2

I had a McDonald's hamburger once, about 20 years ago, when that's what the friends I was with wanted.  Gross.  An experience not to be repeated.   Tasty fries, though.

I used to treat myself maybe once a year to the only fast food burger I've ever liked -- a Super Star with cheese from Carl's Jr -- and an order of McDonald's fries (the two restaurants are essentially right next to each other), but I won't give Carl's Jr my money anymore thanks to their sexist advertising.

Every once in awhile, I'll pick something up at Subway.

That's all I can think of; clearly fast food is not much a part of my experience even though there are a ton of options here.  We almost never had it when I was a kid, so I guess just out of habit I haven't tried very much of it. 

Oh, wait -- one time on a road trip I had KFC.  Not terrible, but not good.

Edited by Bastet

I love Baja Fresh!

In the DC area, there used to be a big chain sort of like Arby's only better, called Roy Rogers. McDonald's bought up most of the locations and converted them to McD's, which I loathe. But there are a few Roys left, and I never pass one by without stopping.

Oh, man, Roy's roast beef sandwiches were so good!

• Love 3

We have a chain where I live called Whataburger - they have a double meat burger they serve on a plate with all the fixings, no bun.  That is my fast food meal of choice these days.  Or Subway, and one of their chopped salads.

• Love 1

I'm kind of boring when it comes to this. I never liked McDonald's or Burger King even as a kid. We would stop there sometimes on long road trips and the only thing I ever ate was the fries. As an adult, I'd occasionally have McD's fries, but it's been several years. Even at home, we don't make burgers all that often, and I'd rather have a chicken burger. I usually bake some Alexia fries, which are great, (I love the sweet potato ones).

if I want something fast and cheap, I would so much rather grab a slice of pizza. For Mexican fast food, I like Qdoba, though. 

ETA:  I've eaten Boston Market twice in my life, (against my better judgement), and got sick both times. Never again. 

Edited by LuckyBitch

I also have never really been a fast food chain kind of person especially now that I no longer eat beef. If I were to go to a fast food chain for something, it'd probably be Five Guys for their fries. 

• Love 1

I love Baja Fresh!

Roy Rogers!  I grew up near the Hot Shoppes and loved the fried chicken.  When Roy's opened, they were owned by the same people (at least that's what my faulty memory tells me), therefore, I also loved the fried chicken there.  And I used to eat it All. The. Time.  

This was before Popeye's arrived here in the Greater DC Metropolitan Area.   I think they showed up as Roy's was fading out.  And now i love Popeye's.

However, last year a Roy's opened near my house.  And against my better judgement, I went in and had some chicken.  And dammit, it's as good as I remember.  Just what I need...  :-)

• Love 2

I love Baja Fresh!

Have you ever had their cilantro ranch dressing? Sooooo good, I always get the baja ensalada with shrimp & pour it on.

I'm actually kind of over French fries, mostly they just bore me now. If we get fast food, I try to get anything but fries but at McD's it's either fries or a bad side salad. Has anyone had the shakin' fries yet? The look like they might be tasty.

There's a place called The Habit near me, they're a small chain, with the usual burgers & stuff. Nothing new or different about them except they have this one side I love, tempura green beans. They serve it with ranch dressing to dip them in & I'm addicted. I also love the fried zucchini at Carl's Jr, which coincidentally shares a parking lot with The Habit so it's all good for me. :-)

@BizBuzz I didn't know that about Whataburger!  Good to know since I can't eat the bun. 

I love milkshakes from Burgerville.  I'm pretty easy when it comes to the food part of fast food.

Burgerville is amazing! I love them so much. When I lived in Seattle and would go camping in Oregon we would stop at Burgerville on the way down and on the way back. My friends loved their berry shortcake. And IIRC they were one of the first places I could get a hamburger on a GF bun. 

About twice a year I get a hankering for Lubys (which has a drive thru so does that make it fast food?). I like that their boneless grilled chicken breast comes with skin on and they usually manage to crisp it nicely. 

@BizBuzz I didn't know that about Whataburger!  Good to know since I can't eat the bun.

Yeah!  And what is really good is that their meat is REAL!!!

You must live in the south?

Just go through the drive through and ask for their burger on a plate.  They will do single, double or triple like that.  I ask for a side of mayo.  Yum.  It comes with pickles, lettuce, tomatoes and onions.  And what is really cool is that they serve all their food 24 hours, so if you are on a trip and need some food it's always there.  ::giggle::

• Love 1

Yeah!  And what is really good is that their meat is REAL!!!

Just go through the drive through and ask for their burger on a plate.  They will do single, double or triple like that.  I ask for a side of mayo.  Yum.  It comes with pickles, lettuce, tomatoes and onions.  And what is really cool is that they serve all their food 24 hours, so if you are on a trip and need some food it's always there.  ::giggle::

Never even heard of Whataburger until this forum. We Northeast people are so deprived.

No Sonic (though we get the ads!)

No Chick-Fil-A (See Sonic)

No In-N-Out Burger

Sigh!

We used to have some Jack in the Box restaurants here in the '70s, when I was a very small child, but they too, are long gone from here.

• Love 1

Yup. Moved to Texas 4 years ago. 

No In-N-Out Burger

We got In - N - Out Burger here a couple years ago. It was a BIG deal. People CRIED over their excitement of the In - N - Out Burger. It was a wee bit ridiculous. 

• Love 3

Never been crazy about In-and-Out burgers.

Ok, Sonic is good for the occasional Ocean Water.  Especially when it's like today, 96 degrees with a heat index of 114 degrees.  Ugh.  Don't do sodas anymore as a rule, but I will indulge in that delight.

And they have good cheesy tater tots too.  ::giggle::

We got In - N - Out Burger here a couple years ago. It was a BIG deal. People CRIED over their excitement of the In - N - Out Burger. It was a wee bit ridiculous.

While I do like burgers and the occasional treat, crying with joy over a restaurant opening seems just a bit OTT! I don't cry over food...but okay!

• Love 2

I'm fairly certain Sonic puts something into their slushees that make it very addictive (besides the high fructose corn syrup). I can go a long time without having any but then I break down and get one and I want them all the time. 

• Love 2

How could I forget In-N-Out given the fuss so many people make over it?  That's another one I've tried -- the law school I attended would bring the trucks in on the last day of classes each year to treat the students before finals started.  I ate it, sure, because no one paying for law school turns down free food, but it was simply a decent fast-food burger.  NOT something to cross state lines for.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Yeah, I don't get In and Out, either.  The line is always ridiculously long and I always think "It's good, but it's not that good."  If anything, the milkshakes are the best thing there.  The only burger I'd stay in line that long for is 5 Guys.

I'm fairly certain Sonic puts something into their slushees that make it very addictive (besides the high fructose corn syrup).

Funny you should mention Sonic:  We've never been to one and today, a friend showed up for a quick visit and had two Sonic Slushees with her and said she thought maybe the kids would like one.  They took one to be nice and by the end, they were saying "Omg...we have to try Sonic sometime!  These are amazing!"

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

I also love the fried zucchini at Carl's Jr, which coincidentally shares a parking lot with The Habit so it's all good for me. :-)

My partner adores the fried zucchini at Carl's Jr.  For burgers, I love Fuddruckers.  I don't know if they have them many places anymore, but there's still one in Oregon I go to when I visit the family.

Burgerville is amazing! I love them so much. When I lived in Seattle and would go camping in Oregon we would stop at Burgerville on the way down and on the way back.

Sooo good.

I often go to Sonic & just buy a cup of ice or if I'm buying a soda I buy an extra cup of ice. (How sad is it that I know the price of a large soda plus a cup of ice at happy hour?) I like their slushees but their ice is what I'm addicted to. The only ice I like more is at my gym because it flaked very fine. If I ever become Daddy WarBucks I'm buying multiple flaked ice machines.

As for fast food, since we've gone gluten free it's more of a challenge. Although Chick-fil-A now has grilled chicken nuggets which are handy in a pinch.

As for fast food, since we've gone gluten free it's more of a challenge. Although Chick-fil-A now has grilled chicken nuggets which are handy in a pinch.

This is so good to know since they are finally opening a Chick-fil-A near me and I was so annoyed that they took so long because I am now gluten free also.

I tried them. I did not enjoy them. I don't know why, but they were just meh to me. Maybe because I didn't get the Chick-fil-A sauce with them.

Here in North Texas, our Subway was trial marketing gluten free rolls for their subs. I went in a couple times when I was in grad school and needed FAST dinner. All the hoops they tried to jump through to avoid cross contamination was a fascinating process to watch. I suspect, though, that they gave up because I've never seen them advertised on TV or anything. 

tried them. I did not enjoy them. I don't know why, but they were just meh to me. Maybe because I didn't get the Chick-fil-A sauce with them.

My oldest likes them, but then again she's the one who has a more discernible reaction to gluten so I think she enjoys have something she can get if she has to. My youngest only likes grilled chicken on a salad, if the salad has parmesan cheese shaved on it, although she eats it without any dressing. Kids.
  • Love 1

Never even heard of Whataburger until this forum. We Northeast people are so deprived.

No Sonic (though we get the ads!)

No Chick-Fil-A (See Sonic)

No In-N-Out Burger

I live in California & see the Sonic ads all the time, but there's only 1 & it's not even close so it drives me crazy because I really want those hot dogs. 

As for In-N-Out Burger, they have the world's worst fries, they're undercooked. I've been told if you want them cooked more, you should ask for them "well done", who sells fries in degrees of doneness? If I have to tell you how to cook my fries, you're doing it wrong. Besides>>>>>>>>>

The only burger I'd stay in line that long for is 5 Guys.

5 Guys is soooo much better than In-N-Out Burger & I'm lucky enough to have one semi near me.

I rarely eat fries, but when I do I always ask for them well done (or "extra crispy").  I hate potatoes, and the only way I'll eat them is as french fries - and only if they're thin cut and very crispy, so that they no longer taste like potatoes.  They're just a crunchy vessel for my ranch dressing intake, basically. 

Hmm, I think you all are tempting me to give 5 Guys a try. We have one not far from us and Mr. LB has gone there a few times but I haven't. I'm going to have to check them out.

Isn't peer pressure a bitch? LOL! (I kid!) But feel free to blame the thread if you're now influenced to eat more fast food. I do!  :-)

• Love 2

Out of curiosity, what is the draw of 5 Guys? I have one very close to me, went once and never went back. Not that it was bad, but I didn't love it. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing.

I am fussy about what goes on my burgers and I like that they start off with the assumption of customizing. Past that, I think the food is reasonably good for fast food, but my standards are low.

I'm in the DFW area too, @joanne3482, and I remember this well.  For a while I'd have to pass the one on 75 on my way home, where for the first few months the line would stretch through the drive-through, the parking lot and out onto the feeder road (at least they put up orange traffic cones for some semblance of safety!).  I've tried it twice, thought it was fairly 'meh' the first time and then decide to give it a go another day.  Big mistake -- I got so sick off that meal, just tons of intestinal pain.  Haven't been back since!

Although Chick-fil-A now has grilled chicken nuggets which are handy in a pinch.

Also tried these, they were not my favorite.  I do love chick fil a breakfast, and will get that once in a blue moon.  And their peppermint shakes in December!

• Love 1

Out of curiosity, what is the draw of 5 Guys? I have one very close to me, went once and never went back. Not that it was bad, but I didn't love it. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing.

They use peanut oil for their fries and I can get mayo for them too. It's a good place if you like peanuts because they offer them as well. It's a nightmare if you have a fatal peanut allergy though. You can't even go in. 

I think 5 Guys fries are fresh cut each day, too.  I can't explain, though, why one burger tastes better than another (what I don't like is when the hamburger meat is seasoned, though--that's a good way to be sure that I'll never order a burger from the restaurant again), but I just found 5 Guys to be the best fast food fries and burgers that I've had so far. 

• Love 1

Isn't peer pressure a bitch? LOL! (I kid!) But feel free to blame the thread if you're now influenced to eat more fast food. I do!  :-)

Ha ha, yes it is! I went from never eating fast food burgers to somehow wanting to check out 5 Guys this weekend. Mr. LB is confused but he's not complaining. We now plan to stop there on Saturday. Gawd help me, I even went as far as Googling them and reading some Yelp reviews for our local place, plus checking out their website and menu. Simple menu, but lots of options to customize the toppings, which I like. I think the fresh cut fries sound good, and I'm also tempted to try the Cajun fries. 

I was curious about their name, so I read the "About" part of their website. Interesting story about how they were four brothers, (the fifth one came later on), who opened a small burger place in VA after their parents told them to either go to college or start a business. The business grew from one carry out place in 1986 in Arlington to four sit-down places in the DC area. By 2003, they starting franchsing the business and there are now over 1,00 locations nationally with 1,500 to come.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 1

I'm not picky about my fast food although Burger King's char-broiling always tastes burned to me.  I try not to indulge too often but I really miss Wendy's dollar menu when I could get a bacon cheeseburger, chili, fries and a frosty for under five bucks.  Now I get the McDonald's breakfast burritos when I hit the gas station nearby.  They're pure salt.  In other words, yummy.

Does Chipotle count as fast food?  I get a burrito there and I'm done eating for the day.  Which is good considering the calorie content.

I was curious about their name, so I read the "About" part of their website. Interesting story about how they were four brothers, (the fifth one came later on), who opened a small burger place in VA after their parents told them to either go to college or start a business. The business grew from one carry out place in 1986 in Arlington to four sit-down places in the DC area. By 2003, they starting franchsing the business and there are now over 1,00 locations nationally with 1,500 to come.

Our veterinarian is near the original location. I always point at it when I go by it, whether I'm telling DH for the 8,000th time or informing the cats.

• Love 1