Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

Ugh, I checked their Wikipedia page, read this part, and I'm rethinking my plans for tomorrow:

Criticism[edit]
Men's Health magazine stated on their web site that Five Guys' meals are generally considered unhealthy.[22] They state that a standard double patty burger, for example, contains 700 calories and 20 grams of saturated fat.[22] Men's Health also rated Five Guys' french fries as some of the most unhealthy food in America, saying that a standard large order of fries contains almost 1,500 calories.[23] The Center for Science in the Public Interest placed Five Guys' bacon cheeseburger, which it claims contains 920 calories, among its 2010 list of most unhealthy meals available at U.S. chain restaurants.[24]

Sometimes I miss the old days, before the internet, when we didn't think as much about the nutritional stats of the stuff we ate. 

I checked their site for nutritional info and I guess I could always have a bunless little burger and a small fries, but what's the point? That's what I usually have at home if I have burgers. And I bake frozen Alexia fries.

Or, I could just do my usual thing; order the less horrible items (little burger and small fries), let the husband and kid go crazy, and just have a taste of theirs because that doesn't count, lol.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 1

My small city has a high % of restaurants per capita but we don't have many of the ones already mentioned.  I don't think some of them even have stores in Illinois.  We got a Sonic a year or so ago.  I went once, wasn't impressed and never went back.  I don't like to eat in my car anyway.  What I really wish we had is a Boston Market.  There was one near my mother's house in Buffalo and I loved to go there when I went home to visit when she was alive.

We do have a fast food purveyor that is unique called Two Blokes and a Bus.  Two fellows one of whom is a trained chef bought an old English double-decker bus, named it Victoria and converted it into a food truck of sorts.  The bottom level is the kitchen and there are a few tables on the upper level although most people get take away.  They post their menu and where they'll be each day on Facebook and there are lines before they get there, even in snow and rain.  The food is absolutely great.  The local paper has Reader's Choice awards every year and the Blokes have won the fast food category each year since they started up 3 years ago.

• Love 2

At McDonalds I always get a double hamburger, either ketchup, pickles, and onions or mustard, pickles, and onions and an order of french fries. And a 20 piece McNuggets that everyone eats. I like to get the mustard, onions and pickle double burger because it reminds me of White Castle burgers. Not the same at all but just a reminder. 

Mmmmm, White Castle. It's been many, many, MANY years since I had a real White Castle burger.

• Love 1

@LuckyBitch, I think most decent sized fast food burgers are going to be outrageously high in fat, calories, salt, etc.....I'm very careful about my calorie count (I lost 75lbs last year) and every once and a while I treat myself to a juicy fast food burger (or some other high calorie/fat treat) and if there's a "junior" option, I get that one.  As for the fries, which I've discovered are almost always worse than burgers, I don't order any--I just steal a few from my kids or husband.  Personally, I think 5 Guys is worth it just once, but, everyone has different tastes and you may well go for it and wonder what the big deal is--much like the way I feel about In and Out.

Now, I have a moral dilema:  Without getting into a political discussion, the owner of Chick Fil-A went just a bit too far for me with his opinions last year, so I said that if there was one in my city, I'd probably never go.  Now, there is one going up just down the road (across the street from the consignment shop "Out of the Closet" lol! Ironic much?), and I have to admit, I've heard so many good things about their food, that I wonder if I should break my promise to myself and try it just once to see what the big deal is.  Is it that good?  And, if so, what's the best thing on the menu?

Edited by Shannon L.

I can't do Chick-fil-a because there is MSG in their chicken products.

Plus, I have never ever felt the hype was worth it.  Just an opinion.  My mother swears by it.  My sister loves it, but she is my MSG barometer, if she breaks out in hives eating anything, there is MSG, and she does at Chickfil-a.  And not the good kind.

@Shannon L. you're right about the high calorie and fat content in most fast food burgers. I always knew that but never really cared because I never eat them so I hadn't bothered to look up the nutritional stats until this recent decision to check out 5 Guys. 

I'm pretty good about what I eat, so what the hell, I'm just going to splurge and try it tonight. I'll just have to make up for it by being good tomorrow and all week, plus maybe putting in some extra treadmill time.

As far as Chik-fil-A, I've heard a lot about how people love the food, but obviously also the political issues. I haven't had to make the decision whether to try them because we don't have any near us. But, I do think that if we're going to avoid one company because we disagree with their political views, it might be very difficult to do that across the board with all of the products we use. I'm not willing to research every company whose products I use, or whose stores or restaurants I frequent. I'm sure if I did, it would be difficult to make sure every single one aligns with my views on various issues. That said, I do realize that some people feel very strongly about never going to Chik-fil-A after the whole public brouhaha and I can totally understand that.

• Love 3

I love Five Guys. I like being able to customize my toppings and the cajun fries are the best. I haven't eaten McDonalds in years, but I used to love their fries before the taste changed thanks to the trans fat ban here in NYC. Occasionally the hubby and I will drive out to Sonic, which is about 30 minutes away, for slushies. 

My husband fell in love with Del Taco when we were in Orlando on vacation last summer.

Oh, and I also love the spicy chicken sandwich at Wendy's. It's the only thing I eat there.

I used to love Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets but last time I had them I had MANY bites with questionable "crunchy" type things in them.  Deal breaker for me, will never have them again.

I do feel they have the freshest toppings and best buns of any of the major fast food chains though.

I love Five Guys. I like being able to customize my toppings and the cajun fries are the best.

So, I finally tried 5 Guys last night and I think I might be in love with the Cajun fries. Freaking delicious. I'm afraid that they're what will be luring me back there sooner than I should go again. Surprisingly, our kid even liked them. That's a good thing because it made me eat less. A large order of fries is huge! The regular fries are very good too, but I love the Cajun fries.

I went all out and had a bacon cheeseburger. I can't even remember the last time I ate one of those, other than one I've made at home which isn't too often at all. I usually skip the bun, but what the hell, I said I was going to splurge. The burger was good and juicy, and the roll was very fresh. I got it "all the way", which is ketchup, mustard, mayo, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, grilled onions, and grilled mushrooms. Plus, I added grilled jalapenos to it. Totally crazy, I know.  But, it was gooood.

I'm blaming all the posters here for making me curious enough to try it! Damn, ignorance was bliss.

• Love 5

Is it wrong that I eat wherever I like the food despite political opinions? Because my opinion is that the objectionable ones at least have the guts to stand up and say what they believe in and the rest are mostly mysteries for the most part. Who knows what the Subway CEO's political views are for one example?

• Love 4

Who knows what the Subway CEO's political views are for one example?

Well, that's the thing for me, mansonlamps (awesome name!):  everybody is entitled to their own views but when a CEO uses his company as a platform to preach, I get uncomfortable.  Unless, of course, I agree with their views!

I refused to give my money to Domino's Pizza for years thanks to the actions of founder Tom Monaghan.  As our political system is increasingly controlled by corporate money, my only recourse seems to be to vote with my wallet.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 5

Funny you should mention Dominos Since its actually the one chain I avoid, not necessarily for their political beliefs, but for their inhumane practices. Not sure what your particular issue is with them.

Of course I'm sure that makes me a hypocrite because other chains probably use the same practices but I wasn't forced to see horribly disturBing pictures from those chains.

Can I just point out that the icy fruit drinks at Sonic are called slushes?  I was at Sonic two days ago, after a long absence.  I was chagrined that they have only cheeseburgers, not hamburgers.  You can get it without cheese, but you'll pay full price.  That sucks.

Smashburger does the same thing, but at least you can get cheddar cheese, which I find edible, unlike the usual fast-food hamburger cheese.

Whataburger was a life-saver when I used to go to work at around 10:30 a.m.  I could get a hamburger and fries at 9:30 in the morning.

As for the nutrition information on Five Guys' fries, a large order will feed an army so it's deceptive to use that.  In fact, in the last year or so they've added a "little fries" to the menu, which is a much more reasonable portion for one person than even a "regular fries"--one of the reasons I didn't like going there alone was that I would waste too many fries if I ordered them.

I, too, don't patronize Chick-Fil-A or Domino's, and I quit going to Fuddrucker's when they changed their french fries to "freedom fries."  I don't research companies and generally try to engage in a news blackout, so if I somehow find out about a company's political views, it means they want them out there front and center.  And I make exceptions.  In-N-Out has a bible verse printed on its french fry containers, and I eat there sometimes.  I like their fries.

And speaking of fries, I've started always getting a side of mayonnaise to mix with ketchup, and make my own Utah fry sauce.  It's particularly good with fries from the Habit.  And the Habit, like In-N-Out, is CHEAP, 

• Love 1

When I lived in Houston we had great fast food options. Treebeards is New Orleans cooking-red beans and rice, shrimp and sausage jambalaya. If they would expand they'd control the world. For hamburgers I would go to Beck's Prime. They also had hotdogs and even a steak sandwich my husband loved. Does anyone have a Schlotzsky's anymore? When I was pregnant I craved their sandwiches and a cherry limeade or Vanilla coke from Sonic.

• Love 1
Does anyone have a Schlotzsky's anymore?

Schlotzsky's, which started in Austin, went public and expanded like crazy, and then imploded.  It's back to privately owned and they're spotty around the country (both corporate-owned and franchised).  I once found Schlotzsky's brand potato chips in a Publix supermarket in Florida.  WTF?

I love the sandwiches and actively seek them out (I travel around full time).  But the one in Grand Junction, Colorado?  Avoid it unless you're really jonesing.  It literally has the highest prices, by far, of any Schlotzsky's I've ever been to.  What costs us about $15 today at any other location was over $20 at that one several years ago.  Even the Yelp reviews all bitch about how expensive it is.  And the one in La Jolla, California, used cabbage instead of lettuce on the sandwich.  Another WTF?  My love for Schlotzsky's is tested regularly, but I persevere.  I do love the Cheese Original Style sandwich.

Oh I forgot about Schlotzky's. I absolutely loved their sandwiches. I always wonder why some chains thrive while others implode, especially since I think Schlotzky's had better food than many other places and was always busy. Another mystery is Quizno's which completely disappeared in my area although I understand they still have some stores elsewhere.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1
Mmmmm, White Castle. It's been many, many, MANY years since I had a real White Castle burger.

I didn't have White Castle when growing up, and as an adult I was always sober when I tried them.  I think both factors make it no surprise that I can't stand them.

I put White Castle in a similar category as Der Wienerschnitzel.  If you grew up with it, or if it was somewhere you went as a drunk college student, you're probably going to be, and remain, a fan.  But coming into it late can be a challenge.  Because really, those chili cheese dogs are kind of gross, but I love 'em.

• Love 1

I didn't have White Castle when growing up, and as an adult I was always sober when I tried them.  I think both factors make it no surprise that I can't stand them.

I hate to admit it, but being straight definitely has an effect on how they taste :-)

Embarrassing how many times I found myself in full bridesmaid attire going through the White Castle drive thru after a wedding. Not driving myself of course! If I was sober enough to drive I wouldn't have needed the sliders.

• Love 1

Does anyone have a Schlotzsky's anymore?

There are two here in my town in Central Illinois.  They closed up a few years ago and the empty stores just sat there shuttered then, two or three years ago, I noticed they were open for business again.  I have no idea what that was all about.

Quizno's here went out of business a few years ago. 

I tried White Castle once when I was driving through Indiana and saw one.  I don't get it.  I guess you have to grow up with them.

That's what fast food is all about, isn't it?  I'm listening to On Point on NPR and they're talking about all these attempts to make burgers & fries more healthful.  Hell, if I want a healthful meal, there are plenty of salad bars around.  What I want on a plastic tray is salt, fat and sugar!  I miss when McDonald's used to deep fry their hot apple pies to a dangerous degree and their fries in beef tallow were way better than the current version.  And don't get me started on the shakes of yore...

• Love 1

I miss when McDonald's used to deep fry their hot apple pies to a dangerous degree and their fries in beef tallow were way better than the current version.  

They still deep fry fries in beef tallow in the birthplace of the fry: Belgium. Every day I was there, I had fries. Sometimes twice in one day. Goes great with Belgian beer. 

One of the reasons I like Five Guys fries is that they do them in peanut oil. I went to 5G yesterday, but they were a bit salty. Still good bang for your buck and the fries were decent. 

Every now and then, I love a Big Mac, with plenty of extra ketchup in addition to the "Special Sauce." I'll go all out and order the combo meal, with the fries and soda.

I'm surprised at the negative comments on Boston Market's sides. It's one of the few places that actually has some decent healthy options for sides, like green beans and mixed vegetables. Sometimes I'll order their sweet potato and marshmallow casserole or cinnamon apples in place of dessert.

Does Wendy's still serve chili? That was a great winter lunch. They had some nice salads some years back, too,(and maybe still do--it's been a while) especially the Mandarin Chicken. I got discouraged, though, when I found out they had as many calories as the burgers.

I'm "meh" on Chick-Fil-A. The sandwiches aren't bad, but I don't feel huge love for them. I taught in a Christian school for years, and always wondered if the people there really enjoyed them or just thought they were supposed to, because the man behind them was a Christian who kept the places closed on Sunday. I like Popeye's fried chicken and biscuits more, but don't indulge much unless I'm on the road and there's one in a highway service area.

I like Chipotle's Beef Barbacoa, especially in a fajita salad bowl.

Does Cinnabon count? Every now and then I'll get one in an airport food court.

Cinnabon is like crack to me. OMG, that smell drives me nuts. I make a "Cinnabon" ice cream, which is my regular cinnamon ice cream with melted butter added.

• Love 2

The Chick-Fil-A at Crabtree Mall in Raleigh served a chicken-que sandwich that was delicious - this was back in the 80's and 90's. Too bad it's not on the menus at the rest of them (maybe it's not on the menu in the Raleigh one either--haven't lived there in ages).

I've tried Five Guys a few times over the years at 3 different sites and find the burgers tasteless; the grease stains on the paper bags remind me how bad they are for us (I ate them anyway!)

Really like Fuddruckers burgers and the rolls they're served in (also the self-serve topping selection).  We only have one nearby and you have to get there by 11:45 AM or there's a long line out the door for lunch.

I don't understand what's happening with Quiznos since their sandwiches are so good. We only have one left in our area and it's in a not very central location. Love the Bourbon Chicken sandwich (w/o the black pepper, mayo, lettuce or anything else: just onions, sauce and chicken please).

Edited by annzeepark914
Really like Fuddruckers burgers and the rolls they're served in (also the self-serve topping selection).

I like Fuddruckers because here in Fort Worth they have gluten-free buns so I can get a "real" hamburger experience. 

• Love 2

I've tried Five Guys a few times over the years at 3 different sites and find the burgers tasteless; the grease stains on the paper bags remind me how bad they are for us (I ate them anyway!)

When Five Guys opened up the street from me a couple years ago, the line of cars was disrupting traffic. A few weeks later, when the fervor died down, I decided to see what the fuss is about. I was so disappointed...it wasn't bad, but definitely not better than what I could do myself

I don't understand what's happening with Quiznos since their sandwiches are so good.

I was addicted to their meatball subs.  I'm sorry the one here failed, but it certainly helped with my calorie count and bank account!

We also had a Quiznos here that came and went with fair speed. And, at least here, I can tell you why it failed: The prices were outrageous when compared to other places (Subway, Mr. Subb - a small chain in the northeast) and people went someplace else.

• Love 2

There's a chain that right now just operates in the Washington, DC area - it has 18 outlets all in DC, Maryland, and Virginia - called Qdoba. Great Mexican food, I love it! It's sort of like Chipotle's, but the ingredients seem fresher. I hope they do well enough to expand further and make tons of money for the people who had the concept.

• Love 1

We also had a Quiznos here that came and went with fair speed. And, at least here, I can tell you why it failed: The prices were outrageous when compared to other places (Subway, Mr. Subb - a small chain in the northeast) and people went someplace else.

Same thing happened to the ones near me (in Connecticut).  

There's a chain that right now just operates in the Washington, DC area - it has 18 outlets all in DC, Maryland, and Virginia - called Qdoba. Great Mexican food, I love it! It's sort of like Chipotle's, but the ingredients seem fresher. I hope they do well enough to expand further and make tons of money for the people who had the concept.

There's a couple of Qdobas in Connecticut, too.   i don't live near any of them, but when I'm passing through a town with one, I look forward to trying it. 

My go-to fast food lunch is a baked potato at Wendy's - sometimes I ask for the broccoli and cheese, hold the cheese; and other times I ask for chives and sour cream, since the sour cream is given to you on the side.  I just like the tater; if I'm really hungry I'll get a small chili too. 

• Love 1

I love a meximelt from Taco Bell.

Especially if hungover, Arby's roast beef sandwich with Horsey sauce is good. The one near me has horrific service though so it's like a once every few years thing.

Our Quizno's closed too. Agree about the high prices. Oh speaking of subs, I freaking love Subways Cold Cut Combo. It's like a Totinos pizza, it's not even trying to be cool which is what makes it spectacular.

• Love 1

I just looked online and Qdoba is much bigger than I thought - 600 outlets in the US and Canada. Yet when I try to find locations on the website, it won't tell me anything except the closest ones. Weird.

Anyway, yes, it's good and you should try it.

• Love 2

Crazy, Qdoba came and went near me literally (and I'm using the correct word here) ten or so years ago save one inexplicably popular location. In fact a Chipotle came along years later and took over one of the failed Qdoba's. Personally, I preferred Baja Fresh which no longer exists in Illinois if at all.

There's a Qdoba here in my city in Central Illinois.  I went there just once and thought it was too expensive for what I got plus it had uncomfortable seating.  Never went back.  Quizno's went out of business here five or six years ago.  Chipotle is always crazy busy.  There are two universities here and it's very popular with the college kids.

I just looked online and Qdoba is much bigger than I thought - 600 outlets in the US and Canada. Yet when I try to find locations on the website, it won't tell me anything except the closest ones. Weird.

Anyway, yes, it's good and you should try it.

We get take out from Qdoba fairly regularly. I agree that they're very good and worth a try. 

What's with the Quiznos weirdness? The last place I lived had one that only lasted a couple of years, and even during that time kept some strange hours. Sometimes I'd pass by it in the middle of a weekday afternoon and it would be closed. 

Quiznos sales plunging article.

The outlet I see most often is nextdoor to a semi-upscale (does that make sense?) steak and seafood restaurant that is enormously popular. The restaurant was there before Quiznos, and I thought it was a stupid place for a sandwich shop. If the restaurant is too crowded, people aren't going to say "a 45-minute wait to be seated? Let's skip waiting in the bar area and have a sub instead!" IOW, they're not going to get spillover, and they're not going to be a destination. 

Some of these franchises evidently expand for the sake of expansion, and it comes back to bite them.

When I lived in Houston we had great fast food options. Treebeards is New Orleans cooking-red beans and rice, shrimp and sausage jambalaya. If they would expand they'd control the world. For hamburgers I would go to Beck's Prime. They also had hotdogs and even a steak sandwich my husband loved.

Treebeards!! I worked in downtown Houston for a couple of years, we'd go to lunch there fairly often.  I have fond memories of their cake (and salads, and vegetable sides...).

Beck's Prime has expanded up to Dallas, so I've had the option to go back there for the last year or two.

YES.  We always used to get them growing up at the mall as a treat after back-to-school clothes shopping.

Embarrassing how many times I found myself in full bridesmaid attire going through the White Castle drive thru after a wedding

Swap out White Castle for Sonic and I could say the same thing!

Whenever we fly out of Dulles, we stop at Potbelly's.  They do the same thing to their sandwiches that Quiznos does - grill/bake (or something like that) which makes the roll crunchy and cheese inside melt.  I always get the veggie sandwich and tell them to only put in the mushrooms and the cheeses. A veritable taste treat.

• Love 4

Our Quizmo's also came and went in a flash.  I went there once and it was fine but not so much better than other sandwich places that I would make it a habit.

I much prefer Chipotle to Qdoba.  We have those across the street from each other and the Chipotle is cleaner and friendlier.