Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

(edited)

What I don't like about fast food other than I can't afford it, is that the rules keep changing if you can't go often. Which line do you stand in, they forgot to give me a cup at McD last week (after months of being away) and were annoyed I asked about menu changes. I don't mind doing things myself but I'm wondering what happened is they saved money from being so understaffed back in the day that customers got unhappy, then they shifted the service to the customers to save even more money and called those service people in at part time unexpectedly, I could tell you some of those stories.

I feel your frustration. Went to Wendy's yesterday and had to use their new self serve drinks dispenser. Ice shot out all over the place and I only wanted a regular Coke and there were fifty gazillion options. Pushed the regular Coke option and got a drink that was horrible tasting. Me no likey! Our McD's drive thru has gotten just as bad at cutting costs, you have to ask them for ketchup, napkins or straws for drinks.

Edited by mbaywife123
  • Love 1

mbaywife123, I suspect that was a Coke Freestyle machine.  I hate them.  Well, except for the marginal entertainment value of watching people try to figure out how to work them.  They've even changed the interface a little from when they were first introduced...but not for the better.  Confusion still abounds.

The Coke DOES taste bad.  Well, not necessarily bad, but it's not the same as Coke from cans, bottles, or "regular" fountain dispensers.  And it's the same at every single Freestyle machine I've used, all over the country.  Apparently Diet Coke has the same issue; I don't drink that one but people have made the same complaint.  So don't think it's a one-off situation.  Plus, they know it.  Their twitter feed is full of complaints, and Coke responds that they'll pass them on to the appropriate department.

To me, the Coke in Freestyle machines has a bit of a cinnamon flavor, and none of the bite that a traditional Coke has.  I mentioned this a few pages back in this thread, btw--it's been bugging since my first encounter with a Freestyle machine years ago.  Wait.......maybe they're finally getting rid of their supplies of New Coke?  Figured out a way to put the syrup in these weird cartridges these machines use?

And I guess I should issue my apology here--I was on a survey panel many years ago about an innovation in fountain drinks, how you can get hundreds of flavors in one machine, and how likely would you be to order a drink if that option were available, etc. etc.  Fast forward a couple of years, and ...the Freestyle machine.  My guilt is somewhat assuaged by knowing I didn't say in the survey that I thought it was a great idea, but I still feel like a participant in this heinous assault on customers. 

• Love 1

To me, the Coke in Freestyle machines has a bit of a cinnamon flavor, and none of the bite that a traditional Coke has.  I mentioned this a few pages back in this thread, btw--it's been bugging since my first encounter with a Freestyle machine years ago. 

I haven't tried a Freestyle machine, but that sounds a bit like the flavor you get when you have Coke and diet Coke in Latin American countries.  The recipe is definitely different, and to me always tastes like there's more cinnamon in it than the US recipe.  I looooooove the Coca Light in Mexico and S. America, so I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.

I think people who get the flavored drinks don't notice it as much because the flavoring takes precedence.  I remember having a cherry Coke when they first came out in bottles/cans (instead of at the soda fountain) and the cherry was the most prominent flavor  Not that that's bad, but it overwhelmed the underlying Coke. 

What I don't understand is why Coke does this.  Those machines are Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, yet the flagship drink is just wrong. 

Nothing to do with coke machines, but on the news the other day they had a fast food french fry taste comparison that surprised me. They were on some corner in New York and taste tested fries at the three nearest locations which happened to be Five Guy's, McDonald's and Burger King. They put the fries in generic bags and had random people on the street rate their favorite. Five Guy's came in first which was no surprise at all but Burger King beat McDonald's pretty consistently.

All three were cold by the time the people ate them so it wasn't a hot, fresh thing, just the taste of the fries. Here I haven't ordered fries at Burger King in years because I didn't think they were worth the calories, but maybe I need to give them another shot.

Never had Five Guys, but I think getting cold fries makes a difference in the ratings.  If I have McDonalds, I have to eat there so the fries are hot.  It doesn't bother me if the other items cool off, just not the fries.

• Love 2

I saw we finally have a Five Guys near me. Have not tried it yet, but the reviews around here are good. So it's on my list. As is Sonic. After spacing out as I don't want to weigh 300 lb.  :-)

• Love 1

Here's a tip.  At Five Guys, pull out the cup with fries in it, and leave the rest in the bag and close it up to keep the rest warm while you're eating the others.  It seems obvious, but  I can't tell you how many people I see just tear the bag open, exposing all of them, or pouring all of them out, just sitting there getting cold. 

And I have it on good authority that they're not supposed to be really crispy.  They are "boardwalk style."

On Burger King fries, back about 20 years ago or so, they changed them to use some sort of milk-something on them, I think to make them crisper.  I know this only because I had a nephew with milk allergy who suddenly couldn't eat them any more, and had to stick to McDonald's.  And they may have changed back since then, but there was an actual difference between the formulation of McDonald's and Burger King fries, at that time, anyway.

In-N-Out fries are just potatoes, sliced in front of you and thrown into the grease. 

• Love 2

Nothing to do with coke machines, but on the news the other day they had a fast food french fry taste comparison that surprised me. They were on some corner in New York and taste tested fries at the three nearest locations which happened to be Five Guy's, McDonald's and Burger King. They put the fries in generic bags and had random people on the street rate their favorite. Five Guy's came in first which was no surprise at all but Burger King beat McDonald's pretty consistently.

All three were cold by the time the people ate them so it wasn't a hot, fresh thing, just the taste of the fries. Here I haven't ordered fries at Burger King in years because I didn't think they were worth the calories, but maybe I need to give them another shot.

That's honestly kind of shocking to me. Like you, I haven't had BK fries in a VERY long time, but I've always loved McDonald's fries. But yes, Five Guys fries are awesome. 

On Burger King fries, back about 20 years ago or so, they changed them to use some sort of milk-something on them, I think to make them crisper.  I know this only because I had a nephew with milk allergy who suddenly couldn't eat them any more, and had to stick to McDonald's.  And they may have changed back since then, but there was an actual difference between the formulation of McDonald's and Burger King fries, at that time, anyway.

Now this? Doesn't shock me at all. The two have always been pretty different (but, IMO, mostly still good in their own way). BK has changed theirs a bit over the years, though. 

Here's a tip.  At Five Guys, pull out the cup with fries in it, and leave the rest in the bag and close it up to keep the rest warm while you're eating the others.  It seems obvious, but  I can't tell you how many people I see just tear the bag open, exposing all of them, or pouring all of them out, just sitting there getting cold. 

And I have it on good authority that they're not supposed to be really crispy.  They are "boardwalk style."

In-N-Out fries are just potatoes, sliced in front of you and thrown into the grease. 

Can anyone verify if BK still does that? If so, it would explain the lactose-intolerant kind of reaction any time I've had a Whopper and fries.

BK fries are ok I like them because they are bigger and less greasy than McD.  We don't have a 5 guys within several states in the midwest. Or an in n out.  The BK fries probably have cornstarch on them, that helps with browning.  It dries out the fries and is a starch that will brown so double duty.

On Burger King fries, back about 20 years ago or so, they changed them to use some sort of milk-something on them, I think to make them crisper. I know this only because I had a nephew with milk allergy who suddenly couldn't eat them any more, and had to stick to McDonald's. And they may have changed back since then, but there was an actual difference between the formulation of McDonald's and Burger King fries, at that time, anyway.

I remember when that happened. They were promoting the new fries with the tagline "It's potatoier!" Up until that point they had been my favorite fast food fries, afterward I didn't like them.

BK fries are ok I like them because they are bigger and less greasy than McD.  We don't have a 5 guys within several states in the midwest. Or an in n out. 

Five Guys is growing like kudzu.  Here's a link to a list of all their locations; the only states I see without one are Alaska, Hawaii, and Iowa. 

http://www.fiveguys.com/en/locations/store-list

But surely there's one coming to Ames some time soon.  Maybe Des Moines.  I first went to Five Guys back when it was just in the D.C. area, and noticed as I traveled around when they were first expanding that they'd be in college towns. 

Was at one in Pittsburgh a couple of days ago, and it was really really good.  i detected some quality problems when they started expanding wide a few years ago, like NEVER getting the right toppings on my hamburger, but for the past year or so they've been on the ball.  And their fries are more consistently delicious.  I eat there all over the country, so I get a good idea of what's generally going on, rather than at one specific location. 

I noticed that the list of stores includes which ones have the dreaded Freestyle machines.  That's helpful if you want a Coke that tastes like Coke--avoid the Freestyle.  However, before these machines showed up, a running joke between Mr. Outlier and me was the hideously loud drink machines at Five Guys.  They use(d) the ones with the ice maker on top and the constant roar was ungodly.  At least the Freestyle machines are quiet.  Except when people are cursing at them because they can't figure out how to make it work.  Or because the Coke tastes terrible.

The list also includes the locations that have milkshakes, which I have yet to encounter.  But I'm keeping my eye out.

In-N-Out isn't a franchise operation, so it's not going to grow like Five Guys has, but I've seen them in Dallas, so they're getting out there a little.  But for the record, Five Guys and In-N-Out are so different they shouldn't ever be compared to each other. 

(edited)

I just left a job with two soda machines.  I cleaned the bottom rack and tray that catches the ice, and the walls and I made it a point to disinfect the buttons everyone touches.  Until they told me sanitizing wipes were too expensive to use on anything so I just used a towel and water.  The trays and racks grow mildew every day.  Once we had to get a plumber to clean out the drain holes on the two machines they had grown so much mildew.  Fountain soda is cheaper but I will never buy one again. They simply don't give workers enough time to clean them properly. 

Edited by QuelleC

A local TV station used to give reports on restaurant inspections, and almost every one had the infraction "mold on ice machine."  Then I started looking more closely when I was out, and yep--lots of mold on ice machines.  And soda gradu everywhere. 

I think about refills in soda machines.  I prefer not to use straws because they're so wasteful, but I think about drinking from a cup, and then refilling it on one of the machines where you press the cup against the hanging-down lever.  The part on the cup where my mouth has been is probably touching that hanging-down lever, and the same is probably true of everybody else in there.  Yuck.

Then I look around in a restaurant and think about the fork I'm using having been in thousands of other mouths.  Or the glass I'm drinking from has been slobbered on by thousands of other people.  Yeah, I know they get washed and sanitized, but still.  INSIDE strangers' mouths. 

I just left a job with two soda machines.  I cleaned the bottom rack and tray that catches the ice, and the walls and I made it a point to disinfect the buttons everyone touches.  Until they told me sanitizing wipes were too expensive to use on anything so I just used a towel and water.  The trays and racks grow mildew every day.  Once we had to get a plumber to clean out the drain holes on the two machines they had grown so much mildew.  Fountain soda is cheaper but I will never buy one again. They simply don't give workers enough time to clean them properly. 

Protip: Pour at least a half gallon of water from the coffee machine spigot down the drain each night and it will cut down on the buildup in the pop drains.

Never had Five Guys, but I think getting cold fries makes a difference in the ratings.  If I have McDonalds, I have to eat there so the fries are hot.  It doesn't bother me if the other items cool off, just not the fries.

Five Guys fries are okay, but they are too thick. I love fries with the peel, but those thicker fries have too much non-crispy potato within. Potatoes needs to have a really good crunch. Except McD fries (see below)

BK fries are coated with some starch something, which is why they taste weird and have a weird almost grainy texture. I love their Whoppers, but the fries are lousy. McD's are the tastiest, IMO. And crazy as it sounds - I like them lukewarm. I like to dump them out into the take-out paper bag, and let them cool down a bit and get a bit soft. I have no idea why, but I find them really tasty. I think it's because I cannot eat really hot food - it just burns my mouth. Food needs to be a lower temperature, so I actually taste the food, not burn my mouth!

What I don't understand is why Coke does this.  Those machines are Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, yet the flagship drink is just wrong. 

I always thought it was how the dispense machines mix the coke, versus how Coca Cola actually makes and bottles (or cans) the drink in the factory. In the factory, it is very precise proportions of soda water, syrup and whatever to get that proper Coke product. In places like BK or McD, they just use that syrup from a bag, mixed with soda water. But now you have varying ratios of syrup to water and water quality, temperature, etc. I've had soda fountain coke that was so sweet and disgusting - the machine wasn't dispensing enough soda water to really make the right concoction, and even if perfect, I don't think it can match the factory standards of coke. I think that's what the problem is.

There is a great show that airs here on Food Network Canada called Food Factory. There are two versions - Food Factory (Canadian food operations) and Food Factory USA. (I'm not sure if this Canadian made series airs in the US). Anyway, the USA version profiled how McDonald's hamburgers and fries are manufactured. First, it's a great propaganda device for McD, especially after the whole pink slime meat debacle - but the McDonald's fries are shown as being cut shoestring, parfried, then frozen as one would expect, and the burger patties are shown a specific fat/meat ratio grind of pure beef, formed, flash frozen and packaged. Not saying that they are hiding something (most likely), but the manufacture seems pretty straight forward.

ETA: But when you watch this show, you cannot help but marvel over the volumes of raw ingredients used. Like, how on earth are there enough potatoes grown in the US (or Canada, which supplies McD there) to supply McD that massive amount of raw materal. Same when they show candy/chocolate bar making. One candy alone could use one million pounds of sugar a year. ONE. There are hundreds of chocolate bars/candies out there - how on earth do we have enough supply on a consistent basis?? It boggles the mind.

• Love 3

I've read the odd thing occasionally about how McD owns most of the cattle farms in S America and is the largest tomato buyer, etc.  Jeez I'm hungry, I only had a grilled cheese today.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

Speaking of allergens in fries, McDonald's fries have "wheat & milk derivatives" in the beef flavoring they add to make them taste more like their old fries (the ones fried in beef tallow). My oldest, who is highly gluten sensitive, can't eat McDonald's fries.

Five Guys fries are okay, but they are too thick. I love fries with the peel, but those thicker fries have too much non-crispy potato within. Potatoes needs to have a really good crunch. Except McD fries (see below).

BK fries are coated with some starch something, which is why they taste weird and have a weird almost grainy texture. I love their Whoppers, but the fries are lousy. McD's are the tastiest, IMO. And crazy as it sounds - I like them lukewarm. I like to dump them out into the take-out paper bag, and let them cool down a bit and get a bit soft. I have no idea why, but I find them really tasty.

Sounds like the Five Guys fries are steak fries - they are tricky.  Too thick and you don't get the right outside texture, too thin and you don't get the potato-yness that I like.

You're not alone on liking the McDs fries cooled off.  My kids have no problem whatsoever with cool fries - they'll even take any leftovers home to eat later.  So in my house, it is only me that has the need for the McD's fries to be just out of the fryer.

But overall, I much prefer a good crinkle cut fry to shoestring or steak fries.  They are less popular - I can only think of Culver's that has them in the fast food chains I am familiar with.

they'll even take any leftovers home to eat later.

What is this leftover fry of which you speak?  

A hilariously funny woman I follow on Twitter (@HighlyIrritable) once tweeted "Things I have never heard said to me:  Your hair looks really great.  Things no one has ever heard me say: Do you want to finish this? I couldn't eat another bite."

It's kind of my mantra.

• Love 1

Sounds like the Five Guys fries are steak fries - they are tricky. Too thick and you don't get the right outside texture, too thin and you don't get the potato-yness that I like.

You're not alone on liking the McDs fries cooled off. My kids have no problem whatsoever with cool fries - they'll even take any leftovers home to eat later. So in my house, it is only me that has the need for the McD's fries to be just out of the fryer.

But overall, I much prefer a good crinkle cut fry to shoestring or steak fries. They are less popular - I can only think of Culver's that has them in the fast food chains I am familiar with.

When I think of "steak fries", I think of (usually) "wedge" type fries--those thick & chunky ones. Five Guys' fries aren't that. They're a little thicker, & longer, than McD's & BK's "shoestring"-esque fries, but not a thick, wedge type, like at Cracker Barrel (which sometimes isn't actually a "wedge" fry) or like Bob Evans is serving right now (& yeah, I know those aren't "fast food" restaurants, per se; but they're the only restaurants I can think of serving that type of fry, or close to it). Someone upthread said Five Guys' fries are like "Boardwalk" fries. I agree most with that description for Five Guys' fries.

I always thought it was how the dispense machines mix the coke, versus how Coca Cola actually makes and bottles (or cans) the drink in the factory. In the factory, it is very precise proportions of soda water, syrup and whatever to get that proper Coke product. In places like BK or McD, they just use that syrup from a bag, mixed with soda water. But now you have varying ratios of syrup to water and water quality, temperature, etc. I've had soda fountain coke that was so sweet and disgusting - the machine wasn't dispensing enough soda water to really make the right concoction, and even if perfect, I don't think it can match the factory standards of coke. I think that's what the problem is.

ETA: But when you watch this show, you cannot help but marvel over the volumes of raw ingredients used. Like, how on earth are there enough potatoes grown in the US (or Canada, which supplies McD there) to supply McD that massive amount of raw materal. Same when they show candy/chocolate bar making. One candy alone could use one million pounds of sugar a year. ONE. There are hundreds of chocolate bars/candies out there - how on earth do we have enough supply on a consistent basis?? It boggles the mind.

And almost all of it goes by truck at some point.  Even with as many trucks as you see on the highways, I still can't imagine how they manage to haul enough stuff around to fill all the grocery stores and restaurants.  The whole infrastructure of feeding us is pretty amazing.

As for the Coke, I've had some "off" products in soda dispensers, but what's weird about the Freestyle machines is that the Coke in them is actually very consistent among those machines.  I've had drinks from them literally all over the country and they all have that weird non-Coke flavor.  It's got to be something in the syrup, which comes in futuristic looking cartridges that look like they'd go in a printer.

But overall, I much prefer a good crinkle cut fry to shoestring or steak fries.  They are less popular - I can only think of Culver's that has them in the fast food chains I am familiar with.

I like a crinkle cut IF it's really crispy.  Culver's usually has them not quite crispy enough for me.  When I'd make them at home, I'd fry them so long they would have almost no potato left inside; I don't expect anybody to actually serve them that way, but if they can bend, they're not done enough.

Accordingly, at Five Guys, I look for what I call "kiptyns," those extra-crispy shards that sink to the bottom of the bag. 

Burger King actually carried crinkle fries under the name "Satisfries" about a year and a half to two years ago. It was marketed as a healthier aternative to their regular fries with, I think, 30% less fat and fewer calories.

Alas, they weren't a big seller and BK eventually phased them out of the menu.

Sounds like the Five Guys fries are steak fries - they are tricky. Too thick and you don't get the right outside texture, too thin and you don't get the potato-yness that I like.

You're not alone on liking the McDs fries cooled off. My kids have no problem whatsoever with cool fries - they'll even take any leftovers home to eat later. So in my house, it is only me that has the need for the McD's fries to be just out of the fryer.

But overall, I much prefer a good crinkle cut fry to shoestring or steak fries. They are less popular - I can only think of Culver's that has them in the fast food chains I am familiar with.

Culver's has Crinkle Cut fries, as you said. So do 2 more similar "regional" chains--I'd also consider Culver's a "regional" chain--in my Southern birthplace, Birmingham, Alabama. You probably aren't familiar with them, but they're Jack's restaurants & Milo's Hamburgers.

It's kind of weird but, to the best of my recollection from all the meals I've had while visiting my relatives in the Birmingham area, it seems like (except for when you go to the local stores of the national chains like BK, Hardee's, & McD's... Also Chick-Fil-A, which serves "Waffle Fries") the Southern "French Fry of choice", if you will, is the Crinkle Cut style over any other style.

I'm pretty sure my Grandma cooked those more than any other style of potato/French Fry; as I said, Jack's (which I've eaten at many, many times growing up) & Milo's (which I haven't eaten at once, so far--there was a Jack's near my grandparents' house, but not a Milo's, & my family usually goes to the closest restaurants to us instead of driving to find a particular 1) serve Crinkle Cuts; & as I remember, any other local restaurant we'd go to in the Birmingham area (if not many other Southern cities) would serve us Crinkle Cut Fries when we'd order French Fries with our entrees/sandwiches.

But, when I order French Fries in Indiana (where I live now), or anywhere outside the South--except for the local stores of national/regional chains with specific styles of French Fries, or unless the menu *specifically* describes the French Fries/potatoes as being Crinkle Cut, Waffle, Wedge, or another style--what I usually get served is a shoestring-type; a non-wedge, thicker & longer than a "shoestring-type" "Steak Fry"; or a sort of "Boardwalk"-type Fry, like at Five Guys.

It seems to me French Fry styles are something of a "regional" thing.

I like a crinkle cut IF it's really crispy.  Culver's usually has them not quite crispy enough for me.  When I'd make them at home, I'd fry them so long they would have almost no potato left inside; I don't expect anybody to actually serve them that way, but if they can bend, they're not done enough.

Accordingly, at Five Guys, I look for what I call "kiptyns," those extra-crispy shards that sink to the bottom of the bag. 

I used to work with you!  All of us co-workers who ate together on a daily basis were so familiar with who liked what or did not like what that there was a mass food migration that happened without words.  Frank got the burnt fry bits and bleu cheese, Tammy got the black olives, I got Frank's avocado...

Someone upthread said Five Guys' fries are like "Boardwalk" fries. I agree most with that description for Five Guys' fries.

Missed that tidbit - of course, I didn't know what Boardwalk fries were until someone described them.

Speaking of crinkle fries, I had them today at Shake Shack today. I actually had crinkle fries with cheese, as well as a Shack Burger, which is just a cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato. I found a pretty good recipe for "fake shack" burgers on the Serious Eats site so I've been making them at home (well, only twice). I think I like a thin patty better than a thick burger.

I'm one of those people who believe that there's no such thing as a bad onion ring. (Not even Burger King's, which I agree are probably as close as it gets. I'll still eat 'em though.)

Tempura, beer batter, dry seasoned flour, doesn't matter. I agree with forumfish that Popeye's used to have just outstanding onion rings. But much like the rest of Popeye's menu, the quality has gone down substantially over the last decade or so (not to mention, onion rings are getting harder and harder to come by at Popeye's lately anyway.) I really enjoy Nathan's Famous onion rings, though the batter can be a bit overwhelmingly heavy. My preference is more of a thin, dry flour breading. I'm not sure how many people are familiar with the Frostop™ chain, but they're probably my favorite fast food rings. Just to reiterate though, there's no such thing as a bad onion ring.

I find that local, non-chain type places (especially burger joints and fish/seafood type places) usually have really great rings, and they're always Option A whenever they're on the menu.

But to answer the question directly... the BEST onion rings? Homemade, hands down. So easy, SO CHEAP(!!!) and soooooo good.

Edited to add: Also, Bloomin' Onion, you say? Yes, mate! Please and thank you! And another for my friend here, because I don't think I'll be sharing.

Edited by Uncle Benzene

Mickey D's fries are absolutely my favorite, I prefer shoestring, especially white hot crispy out of the fryer ones, nom, the key to their fries is they use salt-sugar combo on them, both in the manufacture their given that salt-sweet coating, and then the salt used on top is also got a lot of sugar too, lots and lots and lots of people are super addicted to that flavor combination hence their fries usually being the most popular. The only ones I like better are In and Out Burgers, but I live thousands of miles from an In and Out Burger so I don't really count them as a mainstream franchise. 

I love onion strings and straws, especially on a burger. I freaking hate when you bite into an onion ring and the whole onion slides out of its coating and slimes your face, which is like 90% of the onion rings I've ever had. the only ones that didn't were like Johnny Rockets, and yeah Johnny Rockets. 

• Love 3

I have two rules for onion rings:

1. They have to be a whole slice. No minced onions.
  2. They have to be battered, not breaded.

Minced onions sounds horrible.  People really do that?

But maybe you can clear something up for me.  I almost never find onion rings I like.  The fast-food ones are the smooth kind, kind of a dark brown, and I don't like the "crust."

On the other hand, I adore these:

o.jpg

Is the difference because the smooth brown kinds are battered an these are breaded, or vice versa?  Maybe if I knew the terminology, I'd have an easier time finding ones I like.  I've actually asked to look at a representative onion ring before ordering because life is too short to eat onion rings I don't love.

• Love 6

Ooh yes, I love the ones you do too! I think (think?) that we like handmade ones as opposed to frozen. That uniform brown to me is indicative of frozen.

So after much fantasizing I ordered the $5 box at Taco Bell with the chalupa with chicken and bacon. When I got to the drive thru it was a griller with various hot sauces as the promo box. My heart sank; this had been weeks in the making in my mind!

I admitted I needed a quick sec as what I had anticipated ordering was a no longer. The lady asked what I wanted and she said "we can still do that!" Yay! So I ordered the box minus bacon. We laughed a bit over the order and I agreed to add a buck to a charity (there is a point).

I think the camaraderie and overall niceness by all worked out to me having best food ever. My box could have been a promotional pic! And damn, damn it lived up! Crazy amount of food for 5 dollars (with a drink!). Chalupa, taco, burrito supreme and beverage. See now why this took weeks of prep? Alas, I could not eat it all, but was just such a great experience I will be back for my much loved and now way overpriced Meximelt

• Love 2

That photo of the onion rings looks delicious.  They look battered, not breaded.  I make onion rings about once a year (I hate the mess and the 'fry' smell), but they look like that when I make them.  I just dip onion 'rings' into an egg beaten with a little milk and then into flour mixed with some Cajun seasoning (sprinkled liberally).  That's how I make my fried shrimp too (or used too--I haven't had home-fried shrimp in years).  I've used a little self-rising flour sometimes to make them a little 'puffier'.  I think they taste lighter that way (or as light as fried food can taste!).

We used to have a locally-owned chicken place that made good fried chicken, but I loved their onion rings.  When you would go in, they would have the onions sliced up, but you had to wait while they battered and fried them right in front of you.  You got a big box of onion rings for a really cheap price and they would have to open the top a little to let the steam out so they wouldn't get soggy.  About a third would disappear on the drive home (and I lived about five minutes away).  I miss that place!

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

Yes, the battered onion rings (especially beer-battered, mmmmmm) are vastly superior to any breaded variety.  I've also found that the breaded ones tend to be the minced-onion "formed" versions, which, as we've discussed, are just. not. acceptable!

I need to stop watching tv.  Or at least the commercials.  Even though I live and work by a huge array of fast food, I rarely want any besides In n Out....until I turn on the tv and start seeing commercials for something that looks good.  I saw the  Arby's brown sugar bacon blt ad hundreds of times before finally trying one (it wasn't that good) and now it's the Jack in the Box buttery jack, the one with the crispy onion bits on top.  

After a few weeks I decided I'd finally try one on my lunch break.  I was only gonna get the burger, but once I got there the advertisement said the burger was only $.99.  I was like wow that's a great deal!  Maybe it's a very small burger that's why it's so cheap I'd better get something with it.  So I splurged on some bacon cheddar potato thingies.  Of course the price was an error, the burger was $4.99!!!!!   For a very average sized burger.  I tried to tell the guy at the window their price was wrong but he acted like I'm stupid and must have been looking at the value menu.  I wanted to go back and take a picture to prove him wrong but I had to go back to work.

The burger, while not worth $5, was actually quite good in the "omg this is gonna give me a heart attack" kind of way.  it was drenched in butter, two types of cheese and onions two different ways, some soft and some crunchy.  

I tried Popeye's for the first time and wasn't impressed. The Popeye's breading was a bit flaky on the very outside, but once you dug in, it was kind of tough. The chicken wasn't moist and the fries were kind of "eh". I prefer Bojangles.

I went to Denny's which has a $2-$4-$6-$8 menu. I actually like one of their $8 items, and the menu is always promoted in ads. But the restaurant doesn't present you with the discount menu anymore. I went there, and was disappointed that my local restaurant seemed to opt out of the deal.  I found the $2,$4,$6,$8 menu tucked behind the dessert menu and some other junk on the table. I never get dessert there, and would have thought to look if the party I was with hadn't been considering dessert.

Weighing in on the onion ring debate, I hate minced onion in onion rings. But I also hate when the onion spills out of a gently-fried golden breading. I like onion rings that are baked, with a brown, crunchy breading that holds the onion in.

Edited by AltLivia

I tried Popeye's for the first time and wasn't impressed. The Popeye's breading was a bit flaky on the very outside, but once you dug in, it was kind of tough. The chicken wasn't moist and the fries were kind of "eh". I prefer Bojangles.

Since you have Bojangles I guess you don't need to bother, but if you lived in an area with the dearth of fried chicken offerings near me, I would suggest giving Popeye's another try. It's generally hot, crunchy and moist with a good amount of spice. Can't speak for the fries, though, as I've never had them.

I find Popeye's chicken to be hit or miss, how it takes depends on how long it's been sitting there. I actually go for their fried shrimp & beans & rice, something different from every other fast food place.

But I also hate when the onion spills out of a gently-fried golden breading. I like onion rings that are baked, with a brown, crunchy breading that holds the onion in.

Those onion rings I posted a picture of...the onion does sometimes slide out of the crust.  I've just learned to use a little bit of my back teeth to bite them and that helps.

Also, it's not reflected in the photo (which is a random one I found on the internet), but if you get a full order I think they just turn the fryer basket upside down on a plate because they're in a big rectangular loaf formation.  That makes for crispy ones on the outside, and some softer ones on the inside.  And extra delicious are the batter kiptyns on the bottom of the plate, sitting in grease.

In other news, Mr. Outlier rather likes Arby's, and I tolerate it (but I don't like curly fries), and we would laugh when Jon Stewart would invoke Arby's whenever he needed an example of heinous food (while admitting that he'd never even been there).  We were pleasantly surprised to see Arby's run an ad on the final or maybe the next-to-last Daily Show episode specifically referencing Jon Stewart's comments in a good-spirited way AND the CEO of Arby's was a participant in the reel of famous people bidding him goodbye.  Good work, Arby's!

• Love 3

Also, it's not reflected in the photo (which is a random one I found on the internet), but if you get a full order I think they just turn the fryer basket upside down on a plate because they're in a big rectangular loaf formation.  That makes for crispy ones on the outside, and some softer ones on the inside.  And extra delicious are the batter kiptyns on the bottom of the plate, sitting in grease.

Oh, I love those.  A BBQ place around here does that, and I'm more about the loaf o' rings than I am about the main event. 

• Love 2

Doesn't have to be an informed opinion. Can just be an impression from advertising...

Pizza Hut "Flavor Dippers"?  I say from the ads (and everything I know from a lifetime of eating Pizza)... GROSS.  Dipping pizza in Ranch or BBQ? Ugh. This is not how you eat pizza.

Burger King Mac N' Cheetos? Believe it or not I like the idea (although I haven't tasted it yet). It's just deep fried macaroni. No reason that should be gross, even with cheeto dust sprinkled on top. So probably... GREAT.

• Love 1

I think I posted my liking this salad at Wendy's once before, but it's the Apple Pecan Salad.  It is delicious!  It's got red and green apples in it, crumbled blue cheese, craisins, pecans and grilled chicken in it and the dressing is Marzetti's Pomegranate Vinaigrette (I looked it up for the salad ingredients).  It's my go-to meal when we're looking for a place to get a quick bite on a car trip.