Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

On 8/26/2021 at 5:20 PM, Bookish Jen said:

Culver's has really good butter burgers, custard, cheese curds, and pretzel bites you dip into melted cheese-the four Wisconsin food groups.

YES.  I think they have the best fast food burgers next to In N Out.

• Love 1
On 8/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, Bookish Jen said:

Culver's has really good butter burgers, custard, cheese curds, and pretzel bites you dip into melted cheese-the four Wisconsin food groups.

We have a Culvers here where I am at and I only went to twice since it opened 20 yrs ago.

Culver’s pretzel bites are yummy!  And check out their Flavor of the Day frozen custard calendar; the Devils Food Cake flavor is amazing - dark chocolate frozen custard swirled with chocolate cake pieces and chocolate flakes.  And the caramel cashew sundaes!

• Love 2
On 8/26/2021 at 5:20 PM, Bookish Jen said:

What is a butter burger? And is Culver's a Midwest chain? Is it coming to the east coast?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What is a butter burger? And is Culver's a Midwest chain? Is it coming to the east coast?

A butter burger is just a burger that has a buttered bun or butter is melted on top of the burger, if I'm not mistaken. Culver's is a Midwest chain. If it comes to the east coast, give it a try!

On 9/28/2021 at 12:15 AM, Mittengirl said:

Culver’s pretzel bites are yummy!  And check out their Flavor of the Day frozen custard calendar; the Devils Food Cake flavor is amazing - dark chocolate frozen custard swirled with chocolate cake pieces and chocolate flakes.  And the caramel cashew sundaes!

Great, now I'm drooling.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dairy Queen is offering deals with a burger, fries and a Blizzard as part of an ad campaign with Major League Baseball.  They have a deal with a "Flamethrower" burger and a cookie dough Blizzard that is endorsed by Bryce Harper of the Phillies, and one with a bacon two-cheese burger and an Oreo Blizzard that is endorsed by Tim Anderson of the White Sox.  The cookie dough Blizzard is my favorite, but I prefer the other burger.  Of course, mixing and matching is not allowed!  I assume the price is the same, so why can't they just hit the button for one meal on the register and tell their co-workers to make the other Blizzard?  What wonderful customer service.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Didn't capitalize Blizzard the first time.

I tried Wendy’s Strawberry Frosty yesterday and was not impressed.  I truly do not think I would have known it was supposed to be strawberry flavored (without seeing the color, of course).  It just had a somewhat sickly sweet, vaguely fruity flavor.  I will be sticking to the chocolate frosty.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The chocolate frosties have saved my stomach, when I've been out over the last month or so. It's one my new favourite things, but I didn't think to get one this weekend. 

On 6/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, Mittengirl said:

I tried Wendy’s Strawberry Frosty yesterday and was not impressed.  I truly do not think I would have known it was supposed to be strawberry flavored (without seeing the color, of course).  It just had a somewhat sickly sweet, vaguely fruity flavor.  I will be sticking to the chocolate frosty.

Wendy's is just so try-hard.  I was forced to eat at a Wendy's recently at a Newark NJ train station, as it was the only restaurant.  I'm a McDonald's partisan, and I don't like BK either.  McDonald's has really perfected its fast-food goodness flavorwise and it is consistent and always looks good.  Wendy's and BK orders just look bedraggled.   After that Wendy's lunch I was astonished to find that Wendy's had surpassed BK for the number 2 spot. 

Now that's not to say that I think Mickey D's tastes like real food.  It's its own product.  I love McD breakfasts also.

The only McD menu item I indulge in, is an egg mcmuffin.

Recently tried a BK original chicken sandwich - as standard, and I was impressed with how good it was. In a non-chickn-y sort of way.

My most oft-consumed fast food is a Culver's cheeseburger. Good flavor.  Next favorite would be ChicFilA chix sandwich. 

None of it very often.

• Like 2

I limit my fast food consumption to In-N-Out, not just for the taste and freshness factor, but that I can get a coffee (good, large, real half-and-half) and a cheeseburger with everything which is plenty enough lunch for me and its just over $5.00!

I had to eat at a Burger King three weeks ago (it was all there was in the middle of a number of medical goings on - lets just say it was all there was) and I had a Whopper and water and it was like $8.99??? What? And its 65% terrible bun. First time in 20 years...and it was edible but felt like a high end cafeteria offering.

• Sad 1

I tried Chik Filet's peppermint drink a few weeks ago as a neighbor had raved about it. I asked her if it was overly sweet & she said no. First sip through the straw? Blech! It tasted like liquid instant pudding. Got home & mixed it up a bit and it was a little better. Then I added some Goya Passionfruit juice (that I use when trying to duplicate Starbucks Pink Drink), whirled it in my little smoothie gizmo, added some fat-free ReddiWhip & it was ok.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 1/24/2023 at 12:38 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Wendy's is just so try-hard. 

Wendy's is the type of fast food chain where the quality from location to location can differ. There are two in close proximity where I am and the one north of the interstate is miles better than the one that's just south.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Wendy's is the type of fast food chain where the quality from location to location can differ. There are two in close proximity where I am and the one north of the interstate is miles better than the one that's just south.

I'll have to allow for regional differences LOL.

In N Out Burger should not count as fast food.  It's more like regular diner food. 

Speaking of diners, are there any left that still offer good, old fashioned, yummy, "diner food"? In my experience, the meals I've had at diners in the past 30 years are missing something (maybe some grease?) I eat healthy food at home but I miss that certain taste to diner food (even the hot turkey sandwich platter is missing something ☹️).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Speaking of diners, are there any left that still offer good, old fashioned, yummy, "diner food"? In my experience, the meals I've had at diners in the past 30 years are missing something (maybe some grease?) I eat healthy food at home but I miss that certain taste to diner food (even the hot turkey sandwich platter is missing something ☹️).

We still have a couple of good diners in our neighborhood on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, including Tom's restaurant, of Seinfeld fame.  The breakfasts are always great.  I think you may be reacting to the healthier choices they offer now.  All the diners offer a selection of salads.  But they still have the old greasy spoon stuff. 

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

The thing about McDonald's is that it's always the same, wherever you go! 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In N Out Burger should not count as fast food.  It's more like regular diner food. 

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree. A "diner" to me implies a place you sit down, consult a menu and are served by a waitperson.

Fast food is you either drive through or order at the counter and then either get your food immediately or come back yourself and get it at that same counter.

In-N-Out is definitely fast food although the quality may be closer to a diner (I actually think their hamburgers are very tasty, but not at the level that some of the hamburger places - not fast food joints - serve around here for considerably more money).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Many years ago, my husband spent about 4 months in Fresno trying a case in federal court. He came home raving about In-N-Out, especially the milkshakes, but he loved the burgers too. I've never had the opportunity to eat at one.

9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's a great one in downtown L.A. that has a nice mix of healthy dishes and those that will clog your arteries by the time you get the check.  (The Nickel Diner, for any locals.)

I think In-N-Out burgers are good, but nowhere near the hype, and I hate their fries.

I love cheeseburgers, but have thrown two of them in the trash -- one was hospital food, and the other was McDonald's (I don't know which one; this was back in high school).  Awful.

The only fast food I ever eat is the Super Star at Carl's Jr., and that's about a once a year thing. And now I realize I haven't had one in a couple of years, at least.  I have a stomach ache right now, otherwise I bet I'd be getting a craving.

• LOL 1

If you are anywhere in the western U.S. there may be a Black Bear Diner near you (I know there are lots in California and at least one in Las Vegas...)...classic American diner food but made absolutely to order with fresh, local ingredients. Completely reliable for a delicious meal across the chain. (Yes, the people that started this are friends of mine, why do you ask? LOL! It started by converting a Denny's in Mt. Shasta, California and then the one 30 minutes north on Hwy 5 in Yreka and went from there.)

12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

We still have a couple of good diners in our neighborhood on the Upper West Side of Manhattan,

We usually stay on the Upper West Side (at the Belleclaire now - I miss the Milburn) on our trips.  Other than Tom's, what would you recommend?  Thanks!

There are still some in Toronto as well.  Fran’s is a classic - they’re 24/7/365.  There were 5 or so locations at one point, but it’s now down to 2.  The OG is long gone too (it’s now a fast casual place, one which I love).  

On 1/26/2023 at 3:39 PM, isalicat said:

If you are anywhere in the western U.S. there may be a Black Bear Diner near you (I know there are lots in California and at least one in Las Vegas...)...classic American diner food but made absolutely to order with fresh, local ingredients. Completely reliable for a delicious meal across the chain. (Yes, the people that started this are friends of mine, why do you ask? LOL! It started by converting a Denny's in Mt. Shasta, California and then the one 30 minutes north on Hwy 5 in Yreka and went from there.)

I love Black Bear Diner.  Driving from Portland to central Oregon in the summer, we always used to stop at the one in Madras on the way.  Then they opened one in Beaverton - yay!  Generous, tasty, unpretentious.

• Like 2

I've never liked the iced tea that comes out of the Gold Leaf things (apparently it's called a "tea tower") where you push a button for one of four flavors.  And now I've confirmed that it's not brewed tea, although I would have staked my life on it just by the taste. 

The marketing materials tout that the dispenser is made to look like a traditional tea urn (in which tea is brewed).  I've jiggled them in the past and they don't weigh anything, and you can see the tubes coming out the back.

So it's bottled tea concentrate, which is why it tastes so crappy.

Five Guys has these tea towers--except in the South!  I went to a few Five Guys locations when I spent a few months down there, and they serve real, brewed iced tea.  But it's not nationwide--I just went to one in Illinois that has the Gold Leaf tea tower.  And I tried the sweet tea just to make sure I'm not imagining things, and it tastes like bottled tea.

I have to give props to the South for knowing their sweet tea, and for making Five Guys realize they couldn't get away with serving that Gold Leaf swill down there.

• Like 3

I know this isn't news -- Dunkin Donuts has been distancing itself from donuts and wants to be known for it's drinks and other sandwich options for years now -- but I recently walked into my local (apparently redesigned) DD, and was surprised to see that they don't even have the donut shelves behind the counter anymore! Made me a little sad. The place is now mainly set up to fulfill drive-thru and online/phone/app orders.

And it's not like I'm in a big (or even small) metro area. I think I can safely say I'm in a place in the middle of nowhere - but big enough for a DD.

39 minutes ago, Trini said:

I know this isn't news -- Dunkin Donuts has been distancing itself from donuts and wants to be known for it's drinks and other sandwich options for years now -- but I recently walked into my local (apparently redesigned) DD, and was surprised to see that they don't even have the donut shelves behind the counter anymore! Made me a little sad. The place is now mainly set up to fulfill drive-thru and online/phone/app orders.

And it's not like I'm in a big (or even small) metro area. I think I can safely say I'm in a place in the middle of nowhere - but big enough for a DD.

So how is the food? (other than donuts) Did you try anything? I have not been in a DD for some years, but there is one on a travel route I will be taking soon enough and if they have something new and tasty in a sandwich let us all know!

1 hour ago, isalicat said:

So how is the food? (other than donuts) Did you try anything? I have not been in a DD for some years, but there is one on a travel route I will be taking soon enough and if they have something new and tasty in a sandwich let us all know!

Well, this last time I was only getting a hot chocolate. Which was good!

I actually don't go there (or any fast food) often at all. But the last time I did get food there I got a basic egg & cheese bagel, which was fine. Almost all the other sandwiches have bacon and/or sausage, which I don't eat.

Sorry for the lame review, lol!

14 minutes ago, Trini said:

Well, this last time I was only getting a hot chocolate. Which was good!

I actually don't go there (or any fast food) often at all. But the last time I did get food there I got a basic egg & cheese bagel, which was fine. Almost all the other sandwiches have bacon and/or sausage, which I don't eat.

Sorry for the lame review, lol!

No, this is helpful! Do they only have breakfast food or have they expanded into other stuff? (I definitely don't eat fast food breakfast of any kind...its like starting your day with a salt lick.)

I always thought the French fries at McDonald's were the same everywhere.  Not so.  Today I went to a McDonald's on my way home from the EN&T...my little reward for being a brave big kid and having that thing put up my schnoz (😬). I got the little burger, small fries and small Coke (nostalgia meal from my teens). The fries started out a bit crisp but farther down in the bag they were limp. Didn't go to the McD's around here that makes really great fries as it was out of my way.  Shudda made the effort. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Speaking of McDonald's, I read that its spinoff restaurant, CosMc's, has apparently opened in Brolingbrook, Illinois with more to follow in Texas.

I guess the menu is more snackish - to compete with Starbucks, with juices, lemonades, some sort of Avacado Tomatillo sandwich, spicy tater tots, donut hole thingys, etc.

I did read the spinoff joint will have all-day McMuffin breakfast sandwiches and soft ice cream. (Seen some reviews joking about the broken ice cream machines at McDonald's proper, so who knows how that will work out!)

Will be interesting to see if this sticks and expands to the rest of the country...

• Useful 3