Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Starbucks has sandwiches, salads and lunch boxes.

Plus cookies & pastries &, as I remember, other similar things. The kinds of things that go well with coffee drinks & the non-coffee drinks they sell. They also have breakfast-type sandwiches & oatmeal.

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've only had the regular. I've never seen a cajun option. One order will feed at least 2 people.

They've added a "Little" fries option. I can do that easier than the previous smallest option. My whole family (3 people currently at home) could share the original smallest option. The new little option is only what they put into the cup plus whatever they put in the bag (about 1 1/2 to 2 servings).

• Love 1

Popeyes already has at least 12-15 locations in Ontario Canada. By many accounts, the customer service ranges from average to abysmal. Being bought out by TH probably won't help with that.

Growing up in Canada, I remember when they actually made the donuts on site and they weren't bad. Now nothing is good at TH.

Plus cookies & pastries &, as I remember, other similar things. 

But all of those things are factory made and flash frozen, then shipped.  I'm not aware of any Starbucks that sells any locally made food products.  Including the sandwiches.  I can buy that stuff myself at Costco. 

• Love 2

Popeye's has the superior fast food fried chicken, but horrendous sides.  I did try the KFC hot Nashville style chicken, and it was not as good as the real thing, but it was pretty damn good for fast food.  So good that I've considered rampaging on my diet several times.

Chipotle isn't bad calorie wise if you get the burrito bowl with no rice and with grilled chicken.  The rice and tortillas have RIDICULOUS caloric counts.

I'm not a burger person, but I liked the 5 Guys burger and the Cajun fries.  They do give you a shitload of fries, though.

I wasn't impressed with Tim Horton's.  It was indistinguishable from Dunkin Donuts to me.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

I saw how they prepared the rice and that just looked so wrong to me.  They mixed in several sticks of butter (I stopped counting at 5) to about 20 cups of cooked white rice in a big metal bowl.  Somehow I do not think that much butter was necessary for rice in Mexican cuisine  :D :D :D

Well that's horrifying.  Luckily on the rare occasion I go to Chipotle, I get the salad bowl.  Now that I know about the butter, I won't even feel tempted in the opposite direction.

10 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Absolutely. You have the sole discretion on how to spend your hard earned money.  I just found it interesting that things actually related to sandwiches / burgers, like customer service at fast food locations, are not considered as strongly in choosing which fast food brand to visit.

For some of us, the corporations policies & beliefs are very important.   Much more important than how a worker at a fast food place reacts to us in the few minutes we are there.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, ariel said:

Much more important than how a worker at a fast food place reacts to us in the few minutes we are there.

Also I shockingly haven't had a bad customer service experience anywhere at any fast food restaurant in years. Though I live in a fairly rural area so maybe it's because they aren't super busy? Maybe if I had a bad experience I'd add that to my equation but it just hasn't played a part for me personally. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ariel said:

For some of us, the corporations policies & beliefs are very important.   Much more important than how a worker at a fast food place reacts to us in the few minutes we are there.

Maybe I am just an oldschool corporate drone, but aren't the behaviors of the employees the reflections of those corporations' policies and beliefs ?  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Maybe I am just an oldschool corporate drone, but aren't the behaviors of the employees the reflections of those corporations' policies and beliefs ?  

No

• Love 5

For the longest time I thought the general unfriendly vibes generated by most McDonald's employees were direct reflections of their corporate policy on wages...

Or maybe they're unfriendly because their customers make a mess of the bathrooms.  Or are drunk and unruly.  Or are the 589th person that day to ask them if they're having fun yet.  Or went to the drive-through and asked for Ronald.  Or place their order without so much as a please or a thank you.  Or any number of reasons.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Qoass said:

Or maybe they're unfriendly because their customers make a mess of the bathrooms.  Or are drunk and unruly.  Or are the 589th person that day to ask them if they're having fun yet.  Or went to the drive-through and asked for Ronald.  Or place their order without so much as a please or a thank you.  Or any number of reasons.

Yeah, because again, the McDonald's in my town (of 5,000 people when college is in session and 1,500 when it isn't) has great customer service and they're always friendly. Sure, the milkshake machine is always broken but I can't get mad at the employee telling me that... plus there's a DQ right next door so if I really want a shake I go there anyway! I'd imagine the employee's attitude has more to do with how customers treat them than anything. Have you seen how awful some people are to service industry folks? It's so terrible! 

• Love 3

It may have to do with poor training before being thrown into the fire too. The one nearest to me always seems to put newbies who don't have much of an idea of what their doing yet at the 2nd window where food is picked up from. It's worse overnight when they go to one window and they have to do the ringing up too. I feel bad for them more often then not.

• Love 3

I just heard today that our Burger King will be torn down and rebuilt. It's old and tired and needs it. I'm now hoping they are adding Popeye's chicken. We don't have a KFC. The only place that sells chicken is a deli which makes pressurized chicken with jojo potatoes which is very good but a Popeye's would be most welcome around here.

• Love 1

OK - I'll go there.  Taco Bell.

I use public transportation to get to work and the closest ff place is TB.  I hadn't been inside one in a decade, but decided to stop yesterday for a soft chicken taco to take to work.  Two questions:

Has anyone tried the Naked Chicken Chalupa?  It was just introduced in January, and I read they're dropping it from the menu in March.  I found this by Googling "Lorena Garcia Taco Bell".

Second question - what happened to the once-vaunted specially-created LG menu for TB?  (Actually, whatever happened to LG, who at one time was in your face all the time?  But I don't miss her, so...)  

1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

What are jojo potatoes?  I'm intrigued.

Potato wedges with the skin on cooked in a pressurized cooker along with the chicken.

It's not crunchy, kind of like KFC original.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Qoass said:

Assuming all of those craps happen to the person who will be taking your orders just 5 minutes before you step to the restaurant.  Would you prefer:
A. a restaurant where the person impatiently or rudely takes your orders due to the above 
or
B. a restaurant where the person politely takes your order despite the above
or
C. Does not matter, as long as I do not see the spit in my burger :D

6 hours ago, Lisin said:

Yeah, because again, the McDonald's in my town (of 5,000 people when college is in session and 1,500 when it isn't) has great customer service and they're always friendly. Sure, the milkshake machine is always broken but I can't get mad at the employee telling me that... plus there's a DQ right next door so if I really want a shake I go there anyway! I'd imagine the employee's attitude has more to do with how customers treat them than anything. Have you seen how awful some people are to service industry folks? It's so terrible! 

Assuming the same group of horrible customers, would you or should anyone prefer the restaurants where the employees do not crack under that kind of pressure ??

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Assuming all of those craps happen to the person who will be taking your orders just 5 minutes before you step to the restaurant.  Would you prefer:
A. a restaurant where the person impatiently or rudely takes your orders due to the above 
or
B. a restaurant where the person politely takes your order despite the above
or
C. Does not matter, as long as I do not see the spit in my burger :D

Assuming the same group of horrible customers, would you or should anyone prefer the restaurants where the employees do not crack under that kind of pressure ??

It's interesting to me that no one seems to acknowledge that everyone, no matter what income level or educational background, has to deal with assholes and constant criticism in their jobs.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, spiderpig said:

OK - I'll go there.  Taco Bell.

I use public transportation to get to work and the closest ff place is TB.  I hadn't been inside one in a decade, but decided to stop yesterday for a soft chicken taco to take to work.  Two questions:

Has anyone tried the Naked Chicken Chalupa?  It was just introduced in January, and I read they're dropping it from the menu in March.  I found this by Googling "Lorena Garcia Taco Bell".

Second question - what happened to the once-vaunted specially-created LG menu for TB?  (Actually, whatever happened to LG, who at one time was in your face all the time?  But I don't miss her, so...)  

Apparently the Naked Chicken Chalupa is only a "limited time" menu offering (I read this yesterday), which kinda surprised me--I thought for sure it'd go permanent. The thing I read said it'll be back; they just don't know when yet.

They still have the "Power Bowls" Lorena Garcia created, & the Latin Rice & Black Beans/Beans & Rice side she added to the menu (I can't remember what else she added). I ate Taco Bell the other day & the Power Bowls are in a section labeled "Vegetarian" (& maybe another section I'm forgetting) in their website's menu. The Latin Rice & Black Beans she added are in the (I think) Drinks & Sides menu section. They're listed as individual Beans, individual Rice, as well as Beans & Rice together.

• Love 1
On 2/24/2017 at 5:06 PM, spiderpig said:

Second question - what happened to the once-vaunted specially-created LG menu for TB?

They still have a few items, but they quickly figured out that people who like Chipotle were not going to go to Taco Bell so they stopped trying to be a poor imitation.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, mansonlamps said:

It's interesting to me that no one seems to acknowledge that everyone, no matter what income level or educational background, has to deal with assholes and constant criticism in their jobs.

That scenario is much different for a minimum wage fast food employee (possibly working more than one job) than it is for a high level CEO.

• Love 3

I got a Naked Chicken at TB and found out why it was for a limited time only.  Paper thin chicken soaked in oily breading.  Ugh.  Poor chicken.  I think there was some kind of lettuce and tomato inside, but all I could taste was grease sponge.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

Introducing: The Frork. Because using ordinary fries to mop up ketchup is just so hard!

That idiot who can't get the guacamole off her plate with her fries should be in black and white.  Infomercial parody fail.

Edited by Bastet

I thought it was funny, very tongue-in-cheek, but it's 5:30 am and I've only gotten about 3 hours sleep. From the infomercial parody, it sounds like MickeyD's knows that it's an unnecessary gadget & is just screwing around with it as a way to introduce their new sandwiches. Which I now plan on trying b/c I love guacamole. 

• Love 1

Braum's has switched their 1/3 lb. burger patties with 1/4 lb. patties. That sucks. The prices remain the same (of course). The 1/3 lb. burgers were so big that sometimes I wouldn't even need fries. That's one of the things that set them apart from their competitors for me.

• Love 1

Went to Taco Bell with my grandson the other day. They say timing is everything. As we were eating I watched an employee bag up garbage, take it to the dumpster, rebag the bins and then go back to making food all WITHOUT washing her hands. Last visit for us there. I was skeeved. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Went to Taco Bell with my grandson the other day. They say timing is everything. As we were eating I watched an employee bag up garbage, take it to the dumpster, rebag the bins and then go back to making food all WITHOUT washing her hands. Last visit for us there. I was skeeved. 

Try to report this to the manager of that store directly (phone? email?), or make a complaint through the corporate website.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Trini said:

Try to report this to the manager of that store directly (phone? email?), or make a complaint through the corporate website.

Saved my receipt to do just that. If word gets around they'll soon be closing and this community needs an option other than Mickey D's. 

2 hours ago, rcc said:

I would have said something to the manager. Employees who don't wash their hands or change their gloves shouldn't be there.

There were only 3 employees. Couldn't tell if it was the manager because she seemed (after the garbage incident and fixing just enough food to unclog the drive thru) to be a non-worker. 

If she was the manager then that is even worse. If she doesn't wash her hands then the employees probably don't either. I would email the corporate office or the district office.

• Love 1

I definitely celebrated Doughnut Day today. I did feel bad though - I contemplated getting a box for the office but most times they never eat them all (I prefer a local place, they like a chain) so I just got some for myself. Someone else got the office a box later. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Living in So Cal ain't no way I'm going inside a Taco Bell. I'll begrudgingly go to a Del Taco but that's only if there isn't a hole in the wall joint or a taco truck or a shopping cart (look for the line) to get my Mexican fix.

Taco Nazo for fish tacos. There should be more locations dammit.

In-n-Out double meat, no cheese, extra grilled onions, extra toasted please! Their fries suck.

Popeye's Spicy...all thighs please, biscuits, and mashed with gravy.

Chic-fil-a spicy no pickles, with frosted lemonade. On a biscuit in the AM. Stupidly they did away with their carrot salad and spicy breakfast biscuit here.

Bahn Mi Che Cali and Mr. Baguette for BBQ pork bahn Mi with pate please and a cafe su da.

Zankou Chicken. Extra garlic sauce please.

The only thing I will get at Mc Donald's is a sausage and egg McMuffin. Nothing else ever except coffee and orange juice.

Rally Burger French fries.

Greek burger stand gyros.

I'm a sucker for a "good" glazed raised or glazed buttermilk bar. (Spudnuts), french cruller with white icing my local (ABC), plain cake (Colonial Donut). No flavors, except asliced glazed raised filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Krispy Kreme are only good for "Hot Now" glazed and pumpkin spice. Definitely no chocolate anything.

Edited by Giselle

We went out to a nice restaurant near us for dinner.  We shared a cheese board that would have made Ina Garten proud. I had a truffle mushroom risotto. We shared a Crème brulee for dessert.   It was a great meal.  What made it even greater is that we had a Groupon that made the meal half price.  We did tip on the full amount (before the Groupon).  What's sad is that many people do not.  They tip on the Groupon amount. :(

• Love 5
On 6/4/2017 at 11:58 AM, Giselle said:

Taco Nazo for fish tacos. There should be more locations dammit.

I first read that as Taco Nazi.  I like Rubio's's fish tacos, especially on Tuesdays when they're cheap.

Krispy Kreme are only good for "Hot Now" glazed and pumpkin spice.

I won't eat a KK doughnut unless it's right out of the oil.  That involves verification because they sometimes the HOT sign just means they'll run them through the hot icing again.  Nope.

If there are any apple fritter fans out there, here's a new taste sensation.  Put them in the freezer in a plastic bag.  Eat them frozen.  Just pull off a chunk--they're kind of perforated already.  They are unbelievably good.  I fed some to a friend of mine and he said, "They're so refreshing!"

There's nothing like one hot out of the oil, but eating them frozen can turn even grocery store apple fritters into something very much worth blowing calories on.

• Love 1
On 6/4/2017 at 10:37 PM, ariel said:

We went out to a nice restaurant near us for dinner.  We shared a cheese board that would have made Ina Garten proud. I had a truffle mushroom risotto. We shared a Crème brulee for dessert.   It was a great meal.  What made it even greater is that we had a Groupon that made the meal half price.  We did tip on the full amount (before the Groupon).  What's sad is that many people do not.  They tip on the Groupon amount. :(

I went once to a local expensive steak joint and if it could go wrong, it did. They finally ended up comping our meal. I tipped the same as I would have had they not made it for free.  $50  The waitress looked grateful as none of what went wrong was her fault and I think she thought that'd we be angry and stiff her. 

Have you gotten any of those checks that have a 15,18, and 20%  tips already calculated for you at the bottom of the bill? 

• Love 1

Most restaurant point of sale machines have the "suggested tip" percentage. The worst part? The percentage is calculated on the post-tax total, and where I live sales tax is 15%.   I always enter the tip manually.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Quof said:

Most restaurant point of sale machines have the "suggested tip" percentage. The worst part? The percentage is calculated on the post-tax total, and where I live sales tax is 15%.   I always enter the tip manually.

That's not right calculating the tip post tax. I've also heard that you don't tip as much on wine and booze as you do the food. I think it was 10% for wine or drinks and a minimum of 15% on food. That's a lot of tax where you live. Ouch. 

• Love 1