Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Jaded said:

The McDonald's may be doing a remodel if the one torn down was and older build.

Yeah. The old brown style McDonald's restaurants are all being torn down and remodeled. Happened in my area, too.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2019 at 7:17 AM, larapu2000 said:

It's not the fastest of food, but I'm VERY EXCITED to head to Southern California this week for a quick work trip because it means I'll get to eat at Lemonade! 

Thanks for the tip.  I'd seen them around but never went in, but the menu looks great.

I see on their website that they're merging with Modern Market.  I went to a Modern Market once but couldn't figure out the system and just left.

I was out and about checking out a couple of estate sales and stopped by Popeye's on the way home to see if the chicken sandwich was worth all of the fuss.  Not bad at all.  I just got the sandwich (not a combo) because I had just bought iced tea across the street (Yay! Sweet tea with fresh lemon from McAlister's Deli!). It was big enough that I wasn't left hungry and the chicken was a really nice thick filet.  The coating was really crunchy (but not heavy).  The breading (although delicious) was a little 'rich' tasting (most fried foods are like that to me, so I don't get them very often), so I probably won't buy one very often, but I thought it was pretty darn tasty. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I finally remembered to send an email to Wendy's about the wonderful staff at their West Hazleton, PA restaurant.  It just dawned on me that my email (sent using their website form) has never been acknowledged. Strange. You'd think they'd be very happy to receive a positive review of their employees (and manager responsible for those good employees).

On 12/8/2019 at 1:57 PM, annzeepark914 said:

You'd think they'd be very happy to receive a positive review of their employees (and manager responsible for those good employees).

Nobody gives a shit unless it's posted in public on a Facebook page or whatever. 

I have a strong history of offering opinions to businesses, and always use the web form because I assume it has a better chance of actually making it through.  I almost never hear back, or at most get a canned/machine-generated reply.

That's why I like the ones that have offer surveys on the receipt:  Popeye's, Panda Express, Smashburger, Rubio's.  I assume those get read by someone because they offer something in exchange.  Actually, I know they do at Schlotzsky's, because I was going in frequently at one time, and I always get a cheese original.  I did a survey saying how perfectly prepared my cheese original was, and when I was there a few days later and ordered a cheese original again, the manager came around and remarked on it; he obviously had seen my survey comments.  Plus when I did my survey for THAT visit, the code I got was sequentially the very next number after my previous one, which means that almost nobody actually does them.

They're too busy posting on Facebook, trolling for coupons.

A lot of these surveys offer free food if you complete them.  At Popeye's, the offer is two free pieces of chicken and a biscuit with the purchase of a large drink (44 oz of sweet tea for me, thankyouverymuch), so it's lunch for less than $3, including 44 oz of tea then, and 44 oz of tea taken with me.  The only problem is that the employee almost NEVER knows how to ring it up, and probably a third of the time they just give me a 2-piece dinner (which includes a side, which the offer doesn't) and my drink for free.   

They act like they've never seen it before.  It's in orange on the back of the receipt, and each table has a sign about doing the survey AND there's a sign on the door asking for feedback via the survey on the receipt.  It's obviously a "bonus" to me to get it for free instead of $2.48 AND to get more than what the offer was, but it offends me that they're screwing it up.  But I'm not going to fight them over it, FFS.

At Panda Express, you get an upgrade to a 3-entree platter for free, and they ALWAYS know how to ring it up.

So at least if I go to the trouble of sending comments via a survey, I get some free food out of it, instead of just frustration wondering if they even got my comments.

And actually, I just looked at my most recent Schlotzsky's receipt, and the "feedback" portion just says to email them.  Uh, no.  Even though it was a fabulous visit and I really wanted to give credit where credit is due, I have no reason to believe my email will even actually be received, so I'm not going to spend my time doing it.  I often do surveys even if there's not an offer attached to it, but this is taking the uncertainty too far.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Useful 3

Speaking of sweet tea, @BooksRule...I don't use a cell phone for anything but making calls, so when I'm waiting for my order, I just look around.  I've been noticing the calorie information on menu boards.  For one, it's an easy way to calculate exactly how much more food you get for the extra $2 you pay for a "large" instead of a "medium" sandwich or whatever.  Sometimes it's a real bargain, and sometimes it's just the same basic price but accounting for the larger size.

But what's surprising is that sweet tea has fewer calories than sugar-sweetened sodas.  I'm looking at the online menu for Popeye's, and here are the calorie counts for the small (22oz) size of the sugar-sweetened fountain beverages:

Sprite & Dr Pepper  260

Coke & Minute Maid Lemonade  270

Fanta Orange  290

Hawaiian Punch  310

And...sweet tea clocks in at 180 calories--by far the fewest calories.  Hell, I thought I was killing myself drinking sweet tea, that it was a real luxury, and come to find out it's almost low-calorie compared to the others. 

Now, it's possible that the calories for sweet tea could vary because the sugar is added at the store.  I watched them make it at a non-Popeye's place, and they had the (giant) bag of sugar that was going into the tea pre-measured, but I don't know if that's the case everywhere.  I've watched them make it at Whataburger and can't remember how they measure the sugar.  Maybe I'll ask next time I'm in there.

But even with possible variations, I think the sweet tea lovers among us can hold our heads high as we choose the healthier alternative.

• Love 2
On 2/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, BW Manilowe said:

There's no way I'm touching a donut sandwich. First, it just sounds disgusting.  Second, that's what killed Luther Vandross. 

I noticed that Wendy's has started serving breakfast. 

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a28983466/wendys-breakfast-nationwide/

I may try the Frosty-cinno one day.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:36 PM, InDueTime said:

There's no way I'm touching a donut sandwich. First, it just sounds disgusting.  Second, that's what killed Luther Vandross. 

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a28983466/wendys-breakfast-nationwide/

I may try the Frosty-cinno one day.

I didn't find their breakfast menu to be all that innovative or interesting.  The iced coffee with Frosty mix was disappointing.  

On 2/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, InDueTime said:

I remember having breakfast at Wendy's once as a kid, in the mid '80s.  It was only there for a short time though.  I might have tried their new offerings, but our Wendy's--as well as all the ones in a radius of several counties--were shut down a few years back because the guy who owned them all didn't meet the franchise agreement.  I wasn't very happy with him or Wendy's over this.  One of them eventually re-opened on the other side of town, but ours turned into a Domino's, which doesn't appeal to me.  We have enough other options that now I only really get Wendy's when I'm on vacation to watch baseball, as there is one attached to the gas station near our hotel.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:51 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but is the Popeye's fried chicken sandwich really good? Is the roll toasted? Can you request a bit less mayo on it (the picture shows mayo oozing out)? 

I thought it was pretty good.  In no way would I ever stand in line for one.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2020 at 11:51 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but is the Popeye's fried chicken sandwich really good? Is the roll toasted? Can you request a bit less mayo on it (the picture shows mayo oozing out)? 

I posted about it here back in November.  I thought it was really good, but I've limited myself to about two of them since they were introduced.  Mainly because of the high calorie count.  I think of getting one as a 'treat' lunch now and then. I found the filet to be pretty thick and the coating crunchy. As someone else said, I wouldn't stand in a line for one, but if I happen to be near a Popeye's during a non-peak time and I'm hungry, I would probably stop in for one.

ETA:  I don't remember the roll being toasted, and you could probably get less mayo if you asked.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

don't remember the roll being toasted, and you could probably get less mayo if you asked.

It is supposed to be toasted and most of the spicy part is in the mayo. That said mine, and I have only had two once because it lead me to the conclusion that I don’t like fried chicken sandwiches*, didn’t have a lot of mayo on it. 

*Not the fault of this sandwich just I would rather just eat fried chicken without the bread!

10 hours ago, forumfish said:

Taco Bell (don't judge me) has a new Taco Bar package -- $25 gets you fixin's for 20 tacos plus nachos. I did the math and figured it was a decent deal, so I picked it up last night. The four of us each had two tacos and a small serving of nachos. And the same again tonight. And there are four flour tortillas left over that I will use tomorrow night to make sausage wraps, and enough shredded lettuce and cheese to make a small salad for lunch tomorrow. The down side is you have to put stuff together yourself, but the up side is that you can put stuff together the way you want.

That does sound pretty interesting. My boys might like that!

On 5/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, forumfish said:

Taco Bell (don't judge me) has a new Taco Bar package -- $25 gets you fixin's for 20 tacos plus nachos. I did the math and figured it was a decent deal, so I picked it up last night. The four of us each had two tacos and a small serving of nachos. And the same again tonight. And there are four flour tortillas left over that I will use tomorrow night to make sausage wraps, and enough shredded lettuce and cheese to make a small salad for lunch tomorrow. The down side is you have to put stuff together yourself, but the up side is that you can put stuff together the way you want.

I love taco bell! its a vegetarian and vegan best friend when it comes to fast food.

• Love 2

Besides Taco Bell, the following restaurants & snack shops (for lack of a better name) are currently selling DIY kits for making their products at home:

Auntie Anne’s Pretzels

They give you everything but the butter. You apparently make the pretzels from the beginning (the dough stage). You can make the original or cinnamon sugar kind. $20 each. Available online until supplies run out.

Dunkin (Donuts) and Baskin-Robbins

Dunkin’s selling large (9 donuts) & small donut (4 donuts) kits. They supply the donuts (which sound like they’re cake donuts); you get 3 choices of frosting & 3 choices of sprinkles to decorate the donuts with. The donut kits are available at select stores across the country. The small kit is $5.99; the large is $9.99.

The Baskin-Robbins sundae kits are mentioned after the Dunkin donut kits, in the same, linked, article about the donuts (Dunkin & Baskin-Robbins are owned by the same corporate parent).

As for the Baskin-Robbins sundae kits, you get 2 quarts of ice cream; 1 “wet” topping (like hot fudge or caramel sauce, etc.); 2 “dry” toppings (sprinkles, cookie dough, etc.); a full can of whipped cream & the cherries for the top. You also get 5 sundae cups, spoons & napkins. They’re $24.99, available at participating Baskin-Robbins locations nationwide for a limited time.

• Useful 1
On 5/11/2020 at 3:50 PM, Nicmar said:

I love taco bell! its a vegetarian and vegan best friend when it comes to fast food.

This is on the hush hush, but Taco Bell will be adding vegan cheese sauce by the end of the year.........

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

This is on the hush hush, but Taco Bell will be adding vegan cheese sauce by the end of the year.........

really?!!!!  😉

16 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I’m still pissed they got rid of my beef meximelt. Luckily a wonderful shift manager told me to order a cheesy roll up with bees and pico de gallo. 

Assuming they keep gaucamole as an option (which I'm not entirely sure they are?), it looks like I can get something similar if I customize a Burrito Supreme; but it's going to be about a dollar more than the 7-Layer.  😞

On 7/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, callie lee 29 said:

I’m still pissed they got rid of my beef meximelt. Luckily a wonderful shift manager told me to order a cheesy roll up with bees and pico de gallo. 

I wish they offered bees near me.

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

Lol, I didn't even notice that!! Beef. I meant beef. But bees would be interesting...

Funny, because I thought you meant beer!  Beef, bees, and beer - maybe there's a gastro pub we could open together?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, Trini said:

Taco Bell is Revamping its Menu -- Several items are being taken away; including the 7-Layer burrito, which was like my only reason to eat there. 😭😞

No. 😞 That's the only thing I get there now. Damn. I wasn't happy with them a few times, when they gave me cold burritos, but the last few times we got their food, that burrito was good. 

• Love 1

While running errands today outside of my immediate neighborhood, traffic in my lane was stopped and not moving. I thought there was a lane closure ahead and was able to get in a different lane. I soon saw that the traffic snarl was to get into a parking lot for a place called Jollibee. I guess its food must be incredible because in the parking lot, there were employees directing traffic around barricades on where to go and that line wound around like crazy! Has anyone ever eaten there and is it worth the hassle? This rivaled the Popeyes chicken sandwich lines or the In and Out is coming to town lines! I’ve never heard of this place!

27 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Has anyone ever eaten there and is it worth the hassle?

I have never waited in line because it’s not popular here in SF to the point that it’s come and gone multiple times over the years but I have had it a few times here and in Asia. It’s a Filipino fast food chain that takes on more American dishes than classic Filipino food and a lot of the dishes are overly sweet for a lot of people, myself included. The fried chicken isn’t that bad.

Oddly enough I was just listening to the Doughboys podcast ep on Jollibee today on my walk which was recorded several years ago.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2020 at 10:01 PM, Spunkygal said:

While running errands today outside of my immediate neighborhood, traffic in my lane was stopped and not moving. I thought there was a lane closure ahead and was able to get in a different lane. I soon saw that the traffic snarl was to get into a parking lot for a place called Jollibee. I guess its food must be incredible because in the parking lot, there were employees directing traffic around barricades on where to go and that line wound around like crazy! Has anyone ever eaten there and is it worth the hassle? This rivaled the Popeyes chicken sandwich lines or the In and Out is coming to town lines! I’ve never heard of this place!

@biakbiak is right. Jollibee is like the Filipino equivalent of McDonald’s. They have a diverse menu that’s based on American & some Filipino food (the Halo-Halo dessert at the linked menu is kind of an ice cream/shave ice thing (my late dad was Filipino & he used to eat it sometimes). @Spunkygal, as you now know, Jollibee is in the US as well, mainly in locations with big/bigger Filipino communities among the population. They’re in Hawaii; Washington State; Chandler, Arizona; all over California; Nevada (Las Vegas area); Texas; Florida; Illinois (Chicago area); New York; New Jersey, & Virginia. Oddly enough, I don’t think my dad ever ate at a Jolibee, despite being Filipino, & I have yet to (but would like to, mostly from the American dishes on the menu). The fried chicken, which they call Chickenjoy, is supposed to be very good, or so I’ve heard.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthesis.
  • Love 2

I've been getting Arby's fries lately, the few times I've been out. 

I was going to try the KFC tenders and fries, but they were all the way over the other side of town, and we wanted to get home. 

13 hours ago, Anela said:

I've been getting Arby's fries lately, the few times I've been out. 

I was going to try the KFC tenders and fries, but they were all the way over the other side of town, and we wanted to get home. 

I don’t like the curly fries (whomever decided fries needed to be seasoned like that is an idiot, in my book—I’d rather add my own seasoning, thank you very much), but Iiked the “homestyle” fries they used to have (& I’ve been going to Arby’s a long time; since they used Birds Eye Tasti-Fries as their fries back in the 1970s).

The commercial for the new KFC fries bugs me. Mostly because they say they never had fries before. They had “Kentucky Wedges (or maybe Kentucky Fries)” for quite awhile before this new iteration of fries, & until fairly recently. I know this because I used to eat them kind of a lot. I consider those fries, even if they were more wedges than straight fries (a fried potato is a fried potato, in my opinion). 

I love Arby's curly fries, but I have to have the honey mustard sauce to dip them in.

I vaguely recall that KFC had potato wedges/fries, but I don't think I ever ate them. I always got mashed potatoes and gravy. I haven't eaten at a KFC in years, though, because I've known too many people who got food poisoning from the one here, and the one in my parents' town closed. (We wondered when it closed what people would do for food to take to families who had someone die. We had so much KFC after my father died that my mother froze some of it and (I think) eventually threw out some. It was good, and it was very thoughtful of people to bring food especially since the whole family was there for several days, but we did get a little tired of fried chicken.)

• Love 1

This is really gross, but I believe it. Years and years ago when my late DH's adopted son worked at a KFC he said they would deep fry bugs/roaches they found around.. (god forbid  in the store)... and toss in with the chicken. This was on the East coast. This kid was a little "off" but I think he was telling the truth...I don't think he had the smarts to make it up...kind of scary.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:24 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t like the curly fries (whomever decided fries needed to be seasoned like that is an idiot, in my book—I’d rather add my own seasoning, thank you very much), but Iiked the “homestyle” fries they used to have (& I’ve been going to Arby’s a long time; since they used Birds Eye Tasti-Fries as their fries back in the 1970s).

The commercial for the new KFC fries bugs me. Mostly because they say they never had fries before. They had “Kentucky Wedges (or maybe Kentucky Fries)” for quite awhile before this new iteration of fries, & until fairly recently. I know this because I used to eat them kind of a lot. I consider those fries, even if they were more wedges than straight fries (a fried potato is a fried potato, in my opinion). 

I forgot to mention, re: Arby’s potato offerings: I like the potato cakes (the triangle-shaped, as I remember, fried potatoes which most other places sell as hash brown patties). 

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

This is really gross, but I believe it. Years and years ago when my late DH's adopted son worked at a KFC he said they would deep fry bugs/roaches they found around.. (god forbid  in the store)... and toss in with the chicken. This was on the East coast. This kid was a little "off" but I think he was telling the truth...I don't think he had the smarts to make it up...kind of scary.

I’m glad I live in the Midwest & eating KFC isn’t necessarily an option for me, anyway, because I’m a resident in an assisted living facility. We can have outside food delivered, but I haven’t tried it yet & it might still be tricky to places like this given the COVID-19-related restrictions. We can get packages & mail delivered, but I’m not sure about outside food. You can normally get Noble Roman’s pizzas & breadsticks in 1 of our smaller dining areas, but I think they had to clear out at least when the No Visitors restriction went up (& our Governor recently announced that would be ending soon).

• Love 1
On 9/30/2020 at 4:24 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I liked the wedges, too!  Are they ditching them for a traditional fry?  

3 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

I liked the wedges, too!  Are they ditching them for a traditional fry?  

I don’t know for sure, like I haven’t seen the new fries yet, but the commercial is making it seem like they’re going to a traditional fry.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, Spunkygal said:

There is a Jollibee coming to our city..

The fast food places in our area that have been drive-up only (which they all are for the most part) have apparently done a very good job (my father says Taco Bell in particular is very efficient).  However, Arby's is so slow that cars are getting so backed up they block the street, and with their location they could set things up so they at least re-route the cars back behind the veterinarian and other businesses in a neighboring building, as there's space for cars there (a back way out of the parking lot).  It's surprising that they haven't either gotten a little better by this point, or had business decline out of frustration.

We used to have a Dunkin’ Donuts(which originally was a local restaurant with a drive-thru added later)where cars routinely backed up onto the road.  Eventually, it closed and a new location built a little further down.