Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

On 2/17/2017 at 10:54 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Then he asked a little about me, like what I did for a living, and I said I was in law school.  He said that was a good place for me.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

On 2/15/2017 at 9:40 PM, forumfish said:

Hot fudge milkshakes with a side of cheddar peppers makes a good lunch

Jesus! This sounds good.  I have never been to this thread because I rarely eat fast food.  Well, until now!  Hot fudge milkshake and cheddar peppers??  That sounds so good.  I have no clue what a cheddar pepper even is but I have to have them.   Just googled, I have a sonci 1/2 mile away!!!  

On 2/5/2017 at 3:12 PM, spiderpig said:

Apart from the obvious heavy hitters (McD, BK, KFC, JitB, Wendy's etc.) does anyone have opinions on the following:

Sonic

I love Sonic's onion rings. I can't really describe how they're different from other places except that it's almost like they have a hint of vanilla (at least to my taste).

• Love 1

I can get my younger employees to do just about anything with the promise of Jimmy John's.  And I love that they will deliver any order, no matter how small, even just one sandwich.  I think their business model of a flat per sandwich delivery fee is very smart.

On 2/18/2017 at 10:18 AM, spiderpig said:

McDonald's is supposed to be test-marketing snow crab sandwiches at 4 locations in the Silicon Valley area, with the possibility of making them available at 250 Bay Area locations.  Cost:  $8.99!  

Anybody have a chance to check it out?

$8.99? No wonder they're testing it in the Silicon Valley area.

They opened a few Jimmy John's in my area but I'll never set foot in one after learning their founder kills cheetahs and elephants for sport.

• Love 5

I was gonna pile on to Jimmy John's by citing their requirement that their workers sign a non-compete clause, whereby if they quit, they can't work in another sandwich shop for two years, or X number of miles, or something.  But I saw that a court deemed it illegal, so they stopped.  But seriously...low wage workers in a sandwich shop signing a non-compete clause. 

That said, every once in a while I score at Jimmy John's and my roast beef is nice and rare.  The only other place that I might get it that rare is at Jersey Mike's.  But at either place, it's always a crapshoot, unfortunately. 

• Love 1

I'm all about the batter on onion rings.  If you go to the bottom of page 6 of this thread, there's some discussion of onion rings, and on page 7 is a photo of the only kind of onion rings I'll spend calories on.  Tragically, I can't think of any fast food places that serve them like that.

• Love 1

I'm just curious, does everyone (aside from me apparently) seek out the personal behavior and opinions of everywhere they shop/eat?  I had no idea about Jimmy John's owners and I'll probably continue to eat there because  like their food and I don't know our honestly care if Jersey Mike's owners are more politically aligned with me.  Or Subway, or whoever.

5 hours ago, wings707 said:

Any FF have real onion rings?  By that I mean that a real, whole slice of onion is inside the batter?  

Habit. 

19 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I'm just curious, does everyone (aside from me apparently) seek out the personal behavior and opinions of everywhere they shop/eat?  I had no idea about Jimmy John's owners and I'll probably continue to eat there because  like their food and I don't know our honestly care if Jersey Mike's owners are more politically aligned with me.  Or Subway, or whoever.

I don't actively seek it out; however, if something abhorrent about the owner of a business I patron or have interest in patronizing comes my way, yes, I boycott.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Habit. 

I don't actively seek it out; however, if something abhorrent about the owner of a business I patron or have interest in patronizing comes my way, yes, I boycott.

Interesting. I don't feel the same way assuming there are a million characteristics in which to judge a person.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Same here; I regard it as my duty as a member of a capitalist society -- CEOs can do as they wish with their profits (so long as it's legal), but I won't be giving them my money to do it with.

• Love 9

The places I boycott tend to be local businesses, and my boycott is based on how the business owners or employees have treated me or my friends. Except for KFC. I will eat at other KFCs, but not the one here not because anyone has been treated badly, but because I've known too many people who got food poisoning there. It seemed like a good reason to me.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Interesting. I don't feel the same way assuming there are a million characteristics in which to judge a person.  

That is true, but the CEOs/owners who make it a point to publicly take a position on a social issue has entered it into my equation.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We refuse to patronize Chick-Fil-A.

I don't either.  They are a Christian company and believe homosexuality is deviant. They have donated over 1 million to anti gay organizations.  They are despicable. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Habit. 

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same here; I regard it as my duty as a member of a capitalist society -- CEOs can do as they wish with their profits (so long as it's legal), but I won't be giving them my money to do it with.

54 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

That is true, but the CEOs/owners who make it a point to publicly take a position on a social issue has entered it into my equation.

I agree with this. Though I care less what CEOs/owners do with their personal profits and more what they do with corporate funds. And of course how they as a corp. treat their employees. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm the same way, but I may differ in that I try to stay ignorant.  Honestly, I'd starve to death if I refused to line the pockets of everybody I disagree with, so I try not to know, and I pick my battles.  Even as much as I eat out, my "contribution" is still going to be minuscule in the grand scheme of things.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm the same way, but I may differ in that I try to stay ignorant. 

Quoting myself, but it's a little difficult to stay ignorant when Whataburger fills an entire window with "One Nation Indivisible Under God" plus an American flag and In-N-Out has (or used to have--I haven't checked lately (trying to stay ignorant, which is easier when it doesn't fill an entire window)) bible references on their french fry wrappers.

Actually, I haven't set foot in a Fuddruckers ever since they changed the name of their potatoes to freedom fries.  That one was so stupid I couldn't deal.

I just don't understand why businesses have to do that kind of shit.  Just shut up and serve your food.

So it's $1.75 fish taco day at Rubio's.  Surely some surfer from San Diego isn't trying to turn me away from his business.

I hate Tim Horton's with the fire of a thousand burning nuns.  That sludge they call coffee is an abomination, and their cups constitute at least 50% of the litter in Canada.  But I may be forced to give them my money if they bring Popeye's to Canada.  

• Love 2

Tim Horton's is the busiest coffee shop in my area. The line extends into the street for the drivethru window. I don't like their coffee because I find it bitter and too strong. If Popeye's comes to town I would go there. I haven't been to a Popeye's in years but I remember it being very good.

Someday, some one will discover that Tim Horton's coffee contains nicotine, or some other addictive substance.  People in Canada walk around with Tim Horton's cups as if they had a nipple attached.    Public buildings often have signs "No food or drink allowed. This includes Tim Horton's".  It is always amusing to watch a Tim Horton's fan order cappuccino in a real coffee shop, then complain "This isn't cappuccino" because they think the foamy crap from the machine at T.Ho's is the real thing. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Quoting myself, but it's a little difficult to stay ignorant when Whataburger fills an entire window with "One Nation Indivisible Under God" plus an American flag and In-N-Out has (or used to have--I haven't checked lately (trying to stay ignorant, which is easier when it doesn't fill an entire window)) bible references on their french fry wrappers.

And this is why I like to know where I am spending money. The Bible verse on In and Out got me to look into them and discovered they pay more than minimum wage, give employees paid holidays, and promote from within for me those things out weighed any issue I had with the bible verse and it's the only fast food chain that I eat at on even a semi-regular basis.

I hate Tim Hortons because my brother in law is Canadian and he won't stop talking about it. We were driving from my parents house in CT to Rhode Island and saw one and he made us stop and insisted I have one of their donut holes and I said no and he waved the box in front of me getting powdered sugar all over my black wool sweater and the inside of my sister's brand new car. I might be projecting my issues with my brother in law onto Tim Hortons but I don't care!

• Love 2

I love In n Out. They treat their employees well, their food is amazing and the Bible verses are discrete, don't have the actual verse and aren't in direct conflict with my own beliefs. http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/inandout.asp

I avoid Chick-Fil-A and I love Tim Horton's (it's nostalgia for me!).

2 hours ago, rcc said:

Tim Horton's is the busiest coffee shop in my area. The line extends into the street for the drivethru window. I don't like their coffee because I find it bitter and too strong. If Popeye's comes to town I would go there. I haven't been to a Popeye's in years but I remember it being very good.

3 hours ago, Quof said:

I hate Tim Horton's with the fire of a thousand burning nuns.  That sludge they call coffee is an abomination, and their cups constitute at least 50% of the litter in Canada.  But I may be forced to give them my money if they bring Popeye's to Canada.  

They also acquired Burger King, I got really excited that they'd bring Tim Horton's to us, or at least sell their coffee within Burger King. No such luck.

On 2/21/2017 at 11:06 AM, Lisin said:

I agree with this. Though I care less what CEOs/owners do with their personal profits and more what they do with corporate funds. And of course how they as a corp. treat their employees. 

Chick-fil-A employees are the happiest and most courteous fast food restaurant workers on the planet.  Yet people rather go to McD, BK, Wendys, etc where anyone can see dread and boredom in the workers' eyes.  

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

Chick-fil-A employees are the happiest and most courteous fast food restaurant workers on the planet.

Which most be a condition of hire.  My teenage daughter likes the chicken sandwiches from there, but knows she can never work there as she doesn't have the requisite level of perk.

Isn't that something that carried over from a TWoP typo that became sort of famous with us?

2 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

On behalf of even lapsed Catholics like me, I hope this was a mere typo and not autocorrect.

• Love 4

One thing I wish other coffee shops would do is embrace Nutella as much as Tim Horton's does. But their coffee does suck. I remember there was a DD vs TH debate and at that time I haven't tried TH yet. Now I have and I can say that DD is head and shoulders above. In fact that's my fav brewed coffee.  I take my coffee black with no sugar. So I'm particular about how it tastes, since I have nothing to mask it with. I also love that their sugar free syrups (or flavor shots like they call them) are not just sugarless, they are any sweetener-less. Just some slight hazelnut flavor. Perfect!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Quof said:

Yep, it was deliberate on my part. 

Aah, I didn't remember it from TWoP.  I was wondering about an autocorrect programmer with such a strong beef with nuns. 

I was sitting at a place from 12:00 to 12:30 the other day, across from the drive-up window at Starbucks.  There was never a single moment when there wasn't at least one car in line, and sometimes it was 5 or 6.  They were all getting drinks of some sort, with a small number getting something else (maybe a cookie?).  Can someone tell me what these people were getting?  Is it in addition to actual lunch food, or is this instead of lunch? 

3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Can someone tell me what these people were getting?  Is it in addition to actual lunch food, or is this instead of lunch? 

Starbucks has sandwiches, salads and lunch boxes.

8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

5 Guys fries are to die for - literally and figuratively. They are sooo good., but can't be good for your health  - all things in moderation. In my case, extreme moderation.

There's a 5 Guys right next to our local TJ's, but I've never been.  Checking online menu.  Do you rec the regular fries or cajun?

12 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

There's a 5 Guys right next to our local TJ's, but I've never been.  Checking online menu.  Do you rec the regular fries or cajun?

We do cajun, but regular are good too. Regular are more like boardwalk fries kinda? Cajun are like a better version of Arby's seasoned curly fries. They're the same fries they just put the seasoning on them. Also order one small order for two people. They fill up the small cup and then throw an extra full scoop into the bag. A large is SO MANY fries! Their burgers are really good too. As are their grilled cheese! And hot dogs. Ok, guys I really love Five Guys. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Chick-fil-A employees are the happiest and most courteous fast food restaurant workers on the planet.  Yet people rather go to McD, BK, Wendys, etc where anyone can see dread and boredom in the workers' eyes.  

Perhaps; however their very public opinions on things unrelated to chicken sandwiches mean they will never get another cent of my money. 

50 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Cajun and if you are going solo get the smallest size you can order. At everyone location I've patronized (I'm fairly certain it's 5 Guys practice) the fries go in a bag and more fries are dumped on top. So many fries!

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Thanks for the 5 Guyz Fruyz recs!  Mr. pig and I will go during our weekly excursion to TJ's.

Oh, also all you can eat/take with you peanuts! They just have huge boxes of peanuts for you to eat while waiting. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

5 Guys fries are to die for - literally and figuratively. They are sooo good., but can't be good for your health  - all things in moderation. In my case, extreme moderation.

I read the nutritional information on the 5 Guys website once. Big mistake. As Audioslave says, I don't want to learn things I'll need to forget. And I haven't forgotten those numbers yet.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Perhaps; however their very public opinions on things unrelated to chicken sandwiches mean they will never get another cent of my money. 

Absolutely. You have the sole discretion on how to spend your hard earned money.  I just found it interesting that things actually related to sandwiches / burgers, like customer service at fast food locations, are not considered as strongly in choosing which fast food brand to visit.

1 hour ago, Qoass said:

That's what keeps me out of Chipotle.  Unless I want to consume my entire day's calories in one burrito.

I saw how they prepared the rice and that just looked so wrong to me.  They mixed in several sticks of butter (I stopped counting at 5) to about 20 cups of cooked white rice in a big metal bowl.  Somehow I do not think that much butter was necessary for rice in Mexican cuisine  :D :D :D

• Love 2