Type keyword(s) to search

Media Talk About Abbott Elementary

• Start Topic

On 1/24/2023 at 10:46 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

apparently I'm an Ava, which would be no surprise to anyone who knows me.

I'm an Ava as well, and no one I know would be that surprised either. Except she has a much sharper wit and snappier comebacks than I could ever hope to have.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Omg that quiz is soooo LOOONG.  Not in the mood to take it right now.  I think I'm a Gregory but also I shop at H&M like Janine.

Janine shops at H&M?  Guess the clothes they put in their window displays don't reflect all their merchandise then.

• LOL 1

If the Saturday Night Live editors' strike is resolved by then, then Quinta Brunson is scheduled to host the show April 1.  As I'm sure you'd expect, some of us SNL fans have been clamouring for this.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Love 1

A running plot through this series has been the possiblity of a charter school company taking over Abbott Elementary and the skepticism/opposition of the main characters to the school going Charter.

I noticed on her Wikipedia page that Quinta Brunson attended the "Charter High School for Architecture & Design" in Philadelphia; this school seems to have shut down a few years ago.

After the most recent episode "Festival", a charter school executive tweeted that Brunson was hypocritical and was not in a position to be criticizing charter schools.  The exec said all of Brunson's schools were charter, but in fact her elementary school went charter only after Brunson left.  My very limited experience here (subbing in public high schools) is that charter schools are publicity conscious and always seem to be selling themselves.

https://www.thewrap.com/abbott-elementary-quinta-brunson-charter-school-tweet/

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

A running plot through this series has been the possiblity of a charter school company taking over Abbott Elementary and the skepticism/opposition of the main characters to the school going Charter.

I noticed on her Wikipedia page that Quinta Brunson attended the "Charter High School for Architecture & Design" in Philadelphia; this school seems to have shut down a few years ago.

After the most recent episode "Festival", a charter school executive tweeted that Brunson was hypocritical and was not in a position to be criticizing charter schools.  The exec said all of Brunson's schools were charter, but in fact her elementary school went charter only after Brunson left.  My very limited experience here (subbing in public high schools) is that charter schools are publicity conscious and always seem to be selling themselves.

https://www.thewrap.com/abbott-elementary-quinta-brunson-charter-school-tweet/

Little creepy of this executive looking through Quinta's school history trying to discredit her and paint her as a hypocrite. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4

He can't refute the criticisms the show is making about how charter schools cull students, and lack standards and protections for teachers and curriculum, so he has to resort to a personal attack. Typical tactic for a bully.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4

Well if the actress has been going to charter schools that just gives more credibility to her criticisms since she lived the actual experience so she knows what she is talking about. The executive made no points.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Little creepy of this executive looking through Quinta's school history trying to discredit her and paint her as a hypocrite. 

And . . . she was a kid . . . its not like it was her choice which school she went to -- that decision was, oh, hey  . . . her parents' decision!!! 

I doubt most kids know the politics behind charter schools v. public schools and can articulate that's why they do or don't want to attend a given institution. 

This is one of the most inane attacks I've ever heard of -- and that's saying something in today's environment! 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 10
15 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

And . . . she was a kid . . . its not like it was her choice which school she went to -- that decision was, oh, hey  . . . her parents' decision!!! 

I was just about to say the same thing. How exactly is that her fault or something she deserves blame for?

To that executive: there's a thing called logic, please try using it sometime, thanks. 

• Like 6
(edited)

Exciting casting.

Says a lot good about that woman (for the spoiler averse) that I thought she looked too young, when in fact she is about 20 years older than Quinta.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 7
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Exciting casting.

Says a lot good about that woman (for the spoiler averse) that I thought she looked too young, when in fact she is about 20 years older than Quinta.

Same.  I did a double take because I thought she was too young. But checked their ages. 

Also there is a picture of them in character and ... going just by the outfit alone, it might explain a lot about her.  LOL.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

From just that clip, I’m ready to nominate her for an Emmy. The look she gave the kid who called her “Ms. Grandma Teagues”.  🤣🤣 

“VIPs don’t need badges, we need refreshments!”  I can’t wait for Ava to meet her. 😂😂

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

Sigh, I was over on Worn on TV checking out the clothes worn in Abbott Elementary's Mom" episode. Ended up saddened to see Taraji P. Henson/Vanetta identified as Janelle James/Ava.

I'm going to be generous and guess whoever posted that didn't watch the show. Those two women hardly look so much alike that they'd easily be mistaken for one another IRL or on AE. Hopefully someone from the site will see this and correct the mistake.

ETA: It's been fixed and now correctly shows Vanetta/Tarsaji on the one outfit she wore in the episode.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

This weekend, I watched the "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" episode that had Sheryl Lee Ralph, Janelle James, and Chris Peretti competing for charity. I am not sure when it first aired. I watched it "on demand".

I don't usually watch, but wanted to see what charities they were raising money for, and how their WoF personas differed or mimicked their Abbott characters.

Sheryl raised money for Donors Choose, Janelle raised for the Innocence Project, and Chris for GLSEN. All good causes, and honestly not that far from their characters.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

https://6abc.com/abbott-elementary-lisa-ann-walter-melissa-schemmenti-food-tour-philadelphia/13526950/

I just love her. Last week when the same journalist was interviewing her about her stand-up shows here, she said "I hope someone buys me a hoagie." Alicia told her "Text me, I'll hook you up!" I'm so glad they followed through. 

Lisa Ann also appeared at a SAG-AFTRA rally here yesterday with Sheryl Lee Ralph. 

• Like 5
On 4/13/2023 at 2:19 PM, Roaster said:

Quinta charming on Jimmy Kimmel last night

Overall, the Abbot Elementary series is simply wonderful. He reminded me of my elementary school where life seemed easy and carefree. Now at the university, I have a lot of assignments and only with the help of https://edubirdie.com/ I manage to cope with all the workload. We really have a lot of tasks, and I'm glad that the authors of edubirdie are always ready to help.

Wow just love her and the show! As a person who grew up in Philly it’s brilliant that they got to film the season finale at the Franklin Institute. Many great field trips there as a kid!

• Like 2