Type keyword(s) to search

Media Talk About Abbott Elementary

• Start Topic

I love that they cast kids who weren't actors. It really shows. The kids feel like kids to me, and not like overly sculpted facsimiles. I thought it was how they were directing them, but apparently it's just that they're actually NOT professionals who've been trained to shave the reality edges off!

• Love 11

Great article. And yes, I love that the kids are not actors, they add to the moc-documentary realness.  And I think they have all been universally fantastic. 

In the article I love the little anecdote about Sheryl Lee Ralph coming in an making the kids behave:  "She teachered them"  LOL.

• Love 9

I just realized that Quinta and Tyler James Williams (Janine and Gregory) were Rome and Julissa in the Black Lady Sketch show, Romeo and Juliet sketch.  It is very clever -- comedy done in iambic pentameter but, you know, more hood with it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Ava/Janelle James was on Kimmy Kimmel last night, and she was just as goofy on his show as she is on Abbott Elementary.  He had a hard time interviewing her because of her goofy laughing, and I think he was glad when the segment was over.  I didn't know anything about her before this show, so I didn't know she was a standup comedienne.   She's a bit much.

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Ava/Janelle James was on Kimmy Kimmel last night, and she was just as goofy on his show as she is on Abbott Elementary.  He had a hard time interviewing her because of her goofy laughing, and I think he was glad when the segment was over.  I didn't know anything about her before this show, so I didn't know she was a standup comedienne.   She's a bit much.

I don't love her character, but I like her.  Her constant laughter showed her nervousness about being on Kimmel i think,  like it was a big honor to be asked to be on, so that was endearing to me.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's a GREAT article! I love her using clothes the teachers could actually afford on a real teacher's salary, and her overall philosophy about their outfits within that.

I also LOOOOOOOOVE the show's attitude toward the children in the cast, and how they dress. It's wonderful.

This show is wonderful in so many different ways!!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

I don't love her character, but I like her.  Her constant laughter showed her nervousness about being on Kimmel i think,  like it was a big honor to be asked to be on, so that was endearing to me.

Well, she made me nervous just watching her on Kimmel.  I don't need to see her again.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

That's a GREAT article! I love her using clothes the teachers could actually afford on a real teacher's salary, and her overall philosophy about their outfits within that.

I also LOOOOOOOOVE the show's attitude toward the children in the cast, and how they dress. It's wonderful.

This show is wonderful in so many different ways!!

I had no idea Adidas had done a collab with Marimekko (Ava’s jumpsuit in Open House), and I like how they explained that Janine’s more expensive outfit was for an ethically owned company — I can definitely see her shopping like that. I have friends who do wardrobe styling (mainly for commercials and print because we’re in the Midwest), so it’s fun to peek behind the curtain. I also like that they are conscious of characters’ budgets — like Gregory wearing H&M, which might also be proof that if you have a body like that, you’ll good in anything. One of my wardrobe friends said that a lot of times the clothes characters wear on TV are so expensive even if the characters aren’t rich is that it’s harder than you’d think to find anything without a visible logo! 

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, she made me nervous just watching her on Kimmel.  I don't need to see her again.

well, i don't care to see her again either and i don't really like her role on this show, though she does it well

she doesn't deserve to be principal, even if she does have a shining moment here or there

• Love 1
16 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

I also like that they are conscious of characters’ budgets — like Gregory wearing H&M, which might also be proof that if you have a body like that, you’ll good in anything. One of my wardrobe friends said that a lot of times the clothes characters wear on TV are so expensive even if the characters aren’t rich is that it’s harder than you’d think to find anything without a visible logo! 

The funny thing is I buy from H&M and I constantly see my clothes on television.  It's a favourite of TV stylists regardless of budget, I think.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I'm watching one of those gawd awful Lifetime movies, this one's called Psycho Stripper.  Melissa plays the mom of the bride-to-be.  She's as tough as she is in Abbott Elementary, Philly accent and all, lol.   

• Useful 1