Type keyword(s) to search

Media Talk About Abbott Elementary

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Darian said:

I cam to to post The Root article about the same thing. Her response is note perfect. I just admire her and her work so much. 

Same here. We don't need "A Very Special Episode" of Abbott Elementary. This show handles the struggles of an underfunded school quite well. They don't have to go into a very ghoulish territory.

• Love 11
(edited)

Who else is watching "The Final Straw" with Janelle James on Sundays?  It's a Jenga-type game with fun production design, silly and cute and with enough extra so you're not just sitting there watching them pull things out for an hour.

Janelle and the unseen announcer pitch their jokes just about right.  The contestants have also been pretty good, not as relentlessly "on" as some games seem to like.  I started watching largely to support a member of the cast, but I've kept with it because, although it's a bit slow-moving, it's quite charming and good escapism.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1

From TVLine, Matt's Inside Line

Do you have any fun teasers of what will happen on Abbott Elementary this season? –B.J.

We just spoke to executive producers Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker at the HCA TV Awards, and they said to expect to see in Season 2 (premiering Wednesday, Sept. 21) more of where characters live, and maybe meet new relatives and friends outside of the school environment. Bonus teaser: “We do have some special guest stars that I think will surprise people, specifically in the premiere,” Halpern previewed.

Sheryl Lee Ralph was on NPR's Fresh Air today.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/12/1122411712/actor-sheryl-lee-ralph

Sheryl Lee Ralph is Emmy-nominated for her role as the veteran teacher Barbara Howard on the hit ABC sitcom Abbott Elementary, about an under resourced Philly school. We talk about her long career in showbiz — from Dreamgirls on Broadway to Moesha, and how she made her own way in an industry that didn't offer many parts to Black women.

• Love 6

Abbott Elementary EPs Preview Janine and Gregory's Future, Ava's New 'Depths,' Season 2's Expanding World

During a Television Critics Association virtual press tour panel, creator/star Quinta Brunson explained that “in order to flesh out the backstories of these characters a little bit more and give viewers something that they didn’t have the first season, we thought it would be great to, every now and then, go into their backstories, into their lives,” she shared. “And the home is a great place to learn more about a character. We aren’t going to technically live there, but we think it is a really fun experience for the audience and for ourselves to learn more about where these people came from.”

• Like 1
  • Love 3

TVLine, Inside Scoop

Do you have any fun teasers of what will happen on Abbott Elementary? –B.J.

When we spoke with co-showrunners Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker, the former effused, “I’m so excited for people to see our Halloween episode. I think it’s one of the best things we’ve ever done. When I think about it, I’m like, ‘Oh, man, people are going to lose their mind about this.'” Schumacker in turn added, “I did not envy our director, Shahrzad Davani, on that episode. It was such a puzzle putting it together with, obviously, everybody in crazy costumes. And there’s more action than one might expect.”
  • Love 2

The award-winning ABC comedy Abbott Elementary is all about shining a spotlight on teachers.

It's something near and dear to show creator Quinta Brunson, whose mother was a kindergarten teacher in West Philadelphia for decades.

Brunson doesn't just celebrate teachers on screen, she also takes money out of the show's marketing budget to give real-life teachers much-needed money for their classrooms.

One of this year's recipients is Linda Graham, a 5th-grade teacher at Dunbar Elementary in North Philadelphia.

She's getting $1,000 from the show to fund dream projects in her classroom.

https://6abc.com/abbott-elementary-linda-graham-dunbar-north-philadelphia/12276470/

I could not love Quinta more. 

😊

• Love 12

T-Pain watches too:

I'm watching a cute Christmas Hallmark movie starring Tamera Mowry called "Christmas Comes Twice". It is from 2020.  Sheryl Lee Ralph has a pretty big role in it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Quinta and Sheryl Lee appeared at our Thanksgiving Day parade. There was an absolutely adorable moment of Quinta meeting Jim Gardner in the broadcast booth. I am not exaggerating when I say that this man is an absolute legend in Philadelphia and seeing how Quinta was so starstruck made me absolutely giddy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Nice interview with Quinta by Oprah!  On HBO Max. I never saw her Buzzfeed stuff, so I will have to go back and watch. Really never knew where she came from, but she is amazing for such a young person. I like to hear people discuss their creative process.  She talked about how she observes things and getting all the crazy little details in the show. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 4

Janine and Gregory made TV Line's list of best ships of 2022:

2022 in Review: The Most Dynamic 'Ships From White Lotus, Heartstopper, Abbott Elementary, NCIS and More

Janine and Gregory, Abbott Elementary

Ladies and gentlemen, meet your new Jim and Pam. These two adorkable educators have been circling each other in an exquisitely excruciating slow burn all year long, with Janine first saddled with loser boyfriend Tariq and Gregory now busy with girlfriend Amber. But we all know these two are perfect for each other — and they seem to know it, too, judging by that steamy grind session on the hookah bar’s dance floor. We want them to get together, don’t get us wrong… but we’re kind of enjoying the wait. (Don’t make us wait too long, though!)

https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-couples-2022-hottest-ships-photos/abbott-elementary-janine-gregory/

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 1

Hooray! Nice news to see upon returning home from work :). 

Between this and their Golden Globes wins last night (congrats to them on those, by the way!), the cast and crew must be having one HELL of a celebration right now :D. 

• Like 3

May I just say I absolutely LOVED that Quinta shouted out DonorsChoose.com in her acceptance speech for Best Comedy Series at the Critics Choice Awards. Particularly when she pointed out how rich everyone in the room is and how much money they could afford to donate. 👏👏👏

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4