Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Boat Daddy

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Captain Sean’s hands-on managerial style continues to frustrate Eddie as the staff works hard to pull off an elaborate beach picnic for the guests. Fraser feels pulled in multiple directions by his chief stew Heather, which leads to housekeeping falling through the cracks much to the displeasure of the primary. On the first night out two crew members hook up, which could lead to stormy waters ahead for the whole team. Captain Lee arrives but will his new crew be able to get their act together before the next charter?

Airdate: 11/01/2021

So, Capt. Lee arrives at the very end of the episode then?  Surprise. 

• Useful 1

They're going to make a big deal out of Eddie calling Rachel out for her drunken shenanigans from last season?

That beach setup was nice, a wooden boardwalk with canopies and a nicely set table, with water views all around.

How is that any different from having their little lunch on board the yacht?  Considering that they had to wait a couple of hours while they waited for Sean to set up the picnic, why didn't they complain about that instead of a nothing burger like the trash bag and towels?

Why were they going around barefoot on deck?  The one guy got his foot cut but when they were docking, he stepped on the line to catch it.

Another "it's going to be SO tough" docking scene.

• Love 13

What a cheap trick with the shells.

Sean is nuts.  He's the walking talking definition of a micromanager.  At least he's gone.  Crew did a good job humoring him and docking.

A "beach" party on a dock?  Whatever.

Frazer can't do everything, Heather.  She's really starting to bug me.  A legend in her own mind and not well organized.  Jessica can stop doing laundry during service periods and help out.

Spare me the towel drama!  I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never used all the towels.  The whining over that little almost empty trash bag is BS too.

Nice to see Lee back.  Glad they patched him up OK.  He really knows how to schmooze.  I think he'll get wise to Heather eventually.

That tip was split 12 ways so it looks like Sean got a share.

Surprised Rachel got liquored up and didn't go off on anybody.  There's time.  lol  Her food looked great. 

Sorry Rachel, that wasn't "spineless".  Eddie, as a supervisor, was right to go to Lee last season to talk about Rachel being a mean, toxic drunk.  It impacts the whole crew.

Awkward crewmance first night out.  Oy!  I like them both, but you know it will crash and burn.

Lee said on WWHL that Sean treated Eddie like his go-fer, and intoned he didn't like it.  Very diplomatic, as usual.

• Love 13

Both last week and this week I heard the chief stew (can't remember her name that is how much I am impressed by her) apologize to the primary and say "this is not up to standard."  Why would she say that? It is telling the primary that they are not doing their job. I think the complaints about the towels and trash were producer driven.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, PaperTree said:

What a cheap trick with the shells.

Sean is nuts.  He's the walking talking definition of a micromanager.  At least he's gone.  Crew did a good job humoring him and docking.

A "beach" party on a dock?  Whatever.

Frazer can't do everything, Heather.  She's really starting to bug me.  A legend in her own mind and not well organized.  Jessica can stop doing laundry during service periods and help out.

Spare me the towel drama!  I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never used all the towels.  The whining over that little almost empty trash bag is BS too.

Nice to see Lee back.  Glad they patched him up OK.  He really knows how to schmooze.  I think he'll get wise to Heather eventually.

That tip was split 12 ways so it looks like Sean got a share.

Surprised Rachel got liquored up and didn't go off on anybody.  There's time.  lol  Her food looked great. 

Sorry Rachel, that wasn't "spineless".  Eddie, as a supervisor, was right to go to Lee last season to talk about Rachel being a mean, toxic drunk.  It impacts the whole crew.

Awkward crewmance first night out.  Oy!  I like them both, but you know it will crash and burn.

Lee said on WWHL that Sean treated Eddie like his go-fer, and intoned he didn't like it.  Very diplomatic, as usual.

Yes to all of your post!

I kept waiting to find out Sean was not really a boat captain, (like he hijacked the boat before the crew arrived) and he was just some crazy guy who told everyone he really does swings an ax and fires/kills people and was ordering Eddie to bring every stick of furniture off the boat to the pier party and we find out he stole the Wave Runners from another boat...his weird smirk and constant chortles made me think he was crazy sinister but was hiding it from the crew until he swung the ax!

• LOL 13
  • Love 5

I have to agree with many of you, Rachel is one of the best chefs we have ever seen on this show.  Ben would have been the other.  Sean was definitely an odd duck and micromanager but I thought he added something interesting to the show.  Eddie is quite the complainer this season and really looks really tired at times.  Enjoying the news cast, at least thus far.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Yes to all of your post!

I kept waiting to find out Sean was not really a boat captain, (like he hijacked the boat before the crew arrived) and he was just some crazy guy who told everyone he really does swings an ax and fires/kills people and was ordering Eddie to bring every stick of furniture off the boat to the pier party and we find out he stole the Wave Runners from another boat...his weird smirk and constant chortles made me think he was crazy sinister but was hiding it from the crew until he swung the ax!

Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Both last week and this week I heard the chief stew (can't remember her name that is how much I am impressed by her) apologize to the primary and say "this is not up to standard."  Why would she say that? It is telling the primary that they are not doing their job. I think the complaints about the towels and trash were producer driven.  

When I have to apologize at my job, with a customer, I say the same thing.  That way they know it’s not the norm.   However, it’s not for nick picky complaints like trash and towels.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Some general impressions:

Captain Sean:  "I don't micromanage.  I'm hands on."  Dude, you are the poster child of micromanagement.  I hope there is never a severe problem on a boat when he's captain, because the boat will sink while he's rearranging the deck furniture.

I don't know why I didn't notice this until the current episode, but Eddie reminds me of the character Andy Bernard from "The Office" -- especially when he breaks into song or dance.

Rachel is pretty well behaved so far, but you know the crazy is on a slow simmer.

So far the Chief Stew is more talk than action.  

The deck hand that has General Custer's facial hair is going to be a problem.

Very glad Captain Lee is back.  He's the calm in the storm!

Oh, and one more thing -- I know sailors have a reputation for cursing, but so far with this crew -- Holy S&!t!

Edited by Tanukisan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
18 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

I was thinking more young Colonel Sanders.

And a young black woman wants to get with that?

Edited by aghst
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

I don't know why I didn't notice this until the current episode, but Eddie reminds me of the character Andy Bernard from "The Office" -- especially when he breaks into song or dance.

That would be the ultimate insult to me, I absolutely loathed Andy Bernard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Agreed! I had high hopes for Heather but this isn't a good start. Kate is proving tough to replace. She had her flaws but, even when managing green, ill, lazy and crazy stews, the guest experience was rarely affected.

• Love 10

Bwah! What is up with that? His facial hair is dark brown and his head hair is bright yellow.

I think Rayna might be trouble too, I'm getting Lexi-lite vibes from her already. 

I can't decide who's more to blame for towel-gate. I'm leaning towards Heather, she really doesn't seem very good at this, but on the other hand I don't think Fraser is as good as he says he is either. Making sure all the rooms have adequate towels seems pretty basic even when your chief stew is constantly pulling you in different directions.

We got two of Lee's folksy expressions in one episode, and I've never heard the one about sandpapering a tiger's ass in a phone booth . . . or whatever the hell it was.

• Love 9

While I like Captain Lee (even though his folksy sayings are getting a bit tired) I would have loved to have a few more episodes of Captain Sean just as a change of pace.  I thought he was interesting in his quirky way.  While it was obvious the crew didn't want to work any harder than they had to, an above average experience is what the guests are paying for and they really seemed to appreciate the 'beach' furniture set up away from the boat. 

I like this Rachael! Last season she was just too much.  But so far (and I'm sure CraCra will come out soon) she seems somewhat sane-- and her food is amazing! How can she accomplish that much variety by herself?! Below Deck Med's last chef Matt should have to Clockwork Orange videos of her performances to see how it's done until he quits whining and throwing his hissy fits! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Jsage said:

Agreed! I had high hopes for Heather but this isn't a good start. Kate is proving tough to replace. She had her flaws but, even when managing green, ill, lazy and crazy stews, the guest experience was rarely affected.

I have no problems with the replacements for Kate and Sandy the past couple of seasons of BD and BDM.

Kate bullied new stews.   Her antics wouldn't have aged well if she continued.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

This is trivial,  but I cringed every time Rachel and Heather mispronounced (as well as seeing it misspelled on the menu board) Shakshouka.  

Oh, me, too. I corrected them out loud every time they mispronounced it but they never paid any attention to me.

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Oh, me, too. I corrected them out loud every time the mispronounced it but they never paid any attention to me.

Hahaha! I did that with the one stew from an old season, oh what was her name? She said sorrey instead of sorry? Anyway, she pronounced charcuterie something like char-que-terry.

• Love 5

Fraser: "I'm having a hard time doing EVERYTHING at 100%..."

Heather: "Right....right....well we have to step up. There's no room for error. So just keep doing EVERYTHING..." 

hmmmm kayyyy. Good talk. 

She's not all that. 25 yr old "chief stew" indeed. Why do I feel she just hung herself with the comment that she's in a relationship with a former guest. She remains to prove herself in my eyes.

Rayna- NO. Step AWAY from the ugly mustache. 

• Love 16
7 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Hahaha! I did that with the one stew from an old season, oh what was her name? She said sorrey instead of sorry? Anyway, she pronounced charcuterie something like char-que-terry.

Maybe Chef Rachel can offer guests the tray of cheeses and meats and tell them to eat her char-cooter-ray.

4 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Rayna- NO. Step AWAY from the ugly mustache.

Why do these people have to hook up on the first night out, I mean get to know who you are on the boat with before you hitch your wagon to worst possible choice.

18 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

I think Rachel is the one that awkwardly sings in people's faces, we saw her do it Capt. Sean who oddly was amused but then again he was amused by peeling a banana.  Rachel is socially awkward and doing jerky dance movements and singing strange lyrics to made up tunes does not help. She is the Andy Bernard of the boat.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

so what the heck happened with the huge pile of towels that the third stew carried out of the laundry room? And personally I don't "go through" towels- I put them back on the rack unless they are sopping wet. Where did the guests put the towels they had used? Did they get thrown on the floor and removed? In which case they should have been replaced that very minute. I mean, if you *really* are without towels, that's inconvenient if you have decided to take a shower then. And I agree with someone above that if I'd found that little bag of trash I would have, you know, thrown it away LOL.

• Love 8
On 11/2/2021 at 4:13 AM, 65mickey said:

I thought it was her passive aggressive way of letting the guest know that someone else was to blame for it - "I understand this isn't up to standards - meaning, someone else failed!" She's passing the buck without technically passing the buck. 

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't decide who's more to blame for towel-gate. I'm leaning towards Heather, she really doesn't seem very good at this, but on the other hand I don't think Fraser is as good as he says he is either. Making sure all the rooms have adequate towels seems pretty basic even when your chief stew is constantly pulling you in different directions.

Heather and Fraser still seem like the exact same person to me - they're both so full themselves, so passive-aggressive and so unwilling to give anyone else any grace. "I would do it better" seems to be both of their subtextual mantra. Kate had some of this too, to be sure, but it was tempered with actual wisdom, expertise and even kindness, which made her much more tolerable (for me). I find both Heather and Fraser so unlikable. 

• Love 11

As far as the towels go:  I'm guilty of going thru a lot of towels as well while on vacation in a hotel.   So yeah I get it I would want fresh new towels every morning as well.  You're paying for 5 star service you should get it.   

Fraser:  I'm getting 2 faced vibes from him.  Too much kiss ass in front of Heather then bitchy gay in his T.H.'s.  Meh I neither like nor dislike him just yet.  Still wait and see...

Rayan & Jake:  good grief are these 2 gross or what?!  Lawd what a disgusting couple.  I don't think he's that attractive--his facial hair makes him look like the damn devil and her vulgarity and sloppy drunk-ness makes her unattractive as well.  Courtney & Mzi were both sloppy drunk on B.D. Med but somehow they managed to stay likeable.

2nd deckhand I can't remember his name & 3rd Stew I can't remember her name so zero impression of them.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Why is Rachel still so butthurt over Eddie? Not everyone finds her constant shock value comments amusing. She's really stepping up the makeup and clothes this season, so maybe she won't try so hard to be a raunchy dude. Still...I can see an ,"I'll strap one on and shove it right up your puckered little shit blower Eddie!", coming anytime.

I enjoyed the (unintentional) comedy of Sean. His vision of a beach picnic coming to fruition was far more important than frustrated guests. Once they realized his greatness, the 2 hour sweaty wait would be worth it. He's not a micro-manager, he's just a narcissist who thinks he knows how to do everything better than anyone else. 

Drapes don't match the face-rug dude is the 1st to score? Alright then, give it up...is the floor red,  or perhaps waxed to a dolphinesque smooth?

New chief stew is reactive instead of proactive. And she seems to think that "just do more" is a plan that can be followed. Rachel loves her now...but just wait until her scattered ways delay a food pickup. Then she'll be invited to eat some cooter and fuck herself.

Head of housekeeping...at the super 8. 

Eddie, my love, you're looking like a seasalt weathered man. And it appears you're bringing some vinegar this year. Your my favorite potato chip forever!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6

Heather may have been passive-aggressive with the guests, but she had every opportunity to throw Fraser under the bus and did not take them.  She got him alone and talked to him one on one.  That's good management.

The first charter is always crappy because no one knows where anything is.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, J80134 said:

Why is Rachel still so butthurt over Eddie? Not everyone finds her constant shock value comments amusing. She's really stepping up the makeup and clothes this season, so maybe she won't try so hard to be a raunchy dude. Still...I can see an ,"I'll strap one on and shove it right up your puckered little shit blower Eddie!", coming anytime.

Bwhahaha I was howling at this one!  Good grief what a group of shitters & spitters this is crew is.  I guess I got spoiled with the awesome guys on B.D. Med.

19 minutes ago, J80134 said:

Eddie, my love, you're looking like a seasalt weathered man. And it appears you're bringing some vinegar this year. Your my favorite potato chip forever!

Oh I forgot to mention him.  He does seem like a decent guy and I love his friendship with Capt. Lee.  I still don't understand why he's a 1st officer and not a bosun.  I'm not familiar with the maritime rankings--what's the difference?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Maybe Chef Rachel can offer guests the tray of cheeses and meats and tell them to eat her char-cooter-ray.

13 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Betty, you've killed me dead dead dead with this one! I bray-laughed like Kate's ex gf Ro for like 5 minutes. I will, from this day forward, call it char-cooter-ray. 🤣 😂 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

I still don't understand why he's a 1st officer and not a bosun.  I'm not familiar with the maritime rankings--what's the difference?

I was wondering the same thing. A First Officer (3 stripes) is above a Bosun (2 stripes). The big difference is in responsibility. The ships Bosun manages the rest of the outdoor crew and also pilots the tender, schedules watches and work slots, oversees deck maintenance and interfaces with guests. Eddie does all of these things pretty well. A F.O. is an entire horse of a different color. He/she is just below the rank of Captain and as such, has a much higher level of responsibility. They are expected to have a basic understanding of the engineering aspects of the ship, are frequently responsible for passage and navigational plotting, do many clerical duties like ordering and should be able to function as a temporary Captain for short spurts, if the normal Captain should be rendered incapable due to injury or sickness etc. I don't think Eddie is up to the task. Could you see him docking the boat in St. Kitts if Lee were to be incapacitated? Actually, they could send him a boat pilot from shore, but he'd have to at least get the boat there. I don't think he has the experience to do that at all, let alone safely. I'll bet the only radar experience he has is the drift mode when he used to be on anchor watch. The whole promotion thing may just be for the show. It just doesn't make sense to me.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Oh I forgot to mention him.  He does seem like a decent guy and I love his friendship with Capt. Lee.  I still don't understand why he's a 1st officer and not a bosun.  I'm not familiar with the maritime rankings--what's the difference?

Apparently First Officer has the important duty of carrying large amounts of cushions to the dock picnic. 😉

• LOL 15
8 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Apparently First Officer has the important duty of carrying large amounts of cushions to the dock picnic. 😉

Bwhahaha!  I was howling at this one! 😄

Thanks @aqusdealer!  So basically a 1st Officer is like a V.P.  still it doesn't make sense to not have both a Bosun and a 1st officer on a yacht....extra work for Eddie but it looks like his competent enough to handle everything *shrug*

• Love 2

Why is Rachel still so butthurt over Eddie? 

I imagine the producers are prodding her during her interview segments. Plus he's the only other returning cast member from last season so he's the only one who knows what she did, aside from Captain Lee. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I imagine the producers are prodding her during her interview segments. Plus he's the only other returning cast member from last season so he's the only one who knows what she did, aside from Captain Lee. 

So she will pout about her behavior last season and call Eddie a jerk?  Deflecting her drunken mess on to Eddie screams alcoholism, It wasn't Eddie who forced her up on that stage to embarrass herself or go on a drunken tirade at dinner, has she mentioned her boyfriend from last season, the one she cried about not seeing because of the lock down?  I am sure he got tired of her drinking and bailed.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I am SO glad jerk Sean is gone. There was no reason for him to be that involved in the beach setup. He was the main reason why things were delayed. I loved it when Lee was nice to his face, then in his TH, “now get off my boat.” 👍 

Why was there just one stew at the beach? Especially when there wasn’t much going on on the yacht?

Heather…I don’t know about her management skills yet.

• Love 5
On 11/2/2021 at 10:37 AM, Koalagirl said:

This is trivial,  but I cringed every time Rachel and Heather mispronounced (as well as seeing it misspelled on the menu board) Shakshouka.  

I also cringed when the primary was jumping up and down on the bed(déclassé) and Heather did the same at the foot of the bed. ‘Monkey see, monkey do’ is something I can see as her M.O. with guests this season. 

Heather is a little too Captain Sandy for my taste. ‘How is the food feeling in our stomach’s?,’ while rubbing hers during the final morning breakfast, was cringe inducing too. 

• Love 4
On 11/3/2021 at 8:57 PM, aqusdealer said:

I was wondering the same thing. A First Officer (3 stripes) is above a Bosun (2 stripes). The big difference is in responsibility. The ships Bosun manages the rest of the outdoor crew and also pilots the tender, schedules watches and work slots, oversees deck maintenance and interfaces with guests. Eddie does all of these things pretty well. A F.O. is an entire horse of a different color. He/she is just below the rank of Captain and as such, has a much higher level of responsibility. They are expected to have a basic understanding of the engineering aspects of the ship, are frequently responsible for passage and navigational plotting, do many clerical duties like ordering and should be able to function as a temporary Captain for short spurts, if the normal Captain should be rendered incapable due to injury or sickness etc. I don't think Eddie is up to the task. Could you see him docking the boat in St. Kitts if Lee were to be incapacitated? Actually, they could send him a boat pilot from shore, but he'd have to at least get the boat there. I don't think he has the experience to do that at all, let alone safely. I'll bet the only radar experience he has is the drift mode when he used to be on anchor watch. The whole promotion thing may just be for the show. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Eddie is basically a first mate in training (so far) in this season. If you remember the beginning, there was a guy introduced as "chief officer." This guy is likely the true chief mate / first mate / first officer -- all pretty much the same thing in the passenger industry. 

I don't see this arrangement as sustainable, to be honest. 3 active deckhands on a boat this size just doesn't seem like enough for all the cleaning, polishing, and guest-focused stuff ("toys" and picnics) on a large charter yacht.

Of course, I'm way behind, just watching now, so I guess I'll see the truth of the matter as I watch.