Type keyword(s) to search

TV Tropes: Love 'em or Loathe 'em

• Start Topic

the continued - seemingly bottomless - trope of "schlubby guy, smoking hot wife." I would love to enter an age where political correctness put an end to that one.

I'm afraid that one will exist as long as schlubby guys are in the writers room. 

• Love 12

For some reason I always enjoy watching characters having a secret and not telling people (generally their parents if it's a teen show). I don't know why, though it feels some shows lose something when everyone is "in the know". Roswell is an example of that, by the second season all main characters knew and then during the third season mainly brought in Jessie to fill that gap, but then he knew too.

(edited)

I just thought of one. It doesn't really apply to much since I don't watch soap operas anymore since ABC canceled its lineup but I always enjoyed "The Man Everyone Wanted Dead."

Brian Frons, president ABC Daytime?

;) Sorry,  you set me up for that one.

For some reason I always enjoy watching characters having a secret and not telling people

This was by far the best thing to ever happen to Friends, when Chandler and Monica decided to keep their relationship a secret.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Conversely, I also hate the skinny lady who chows down on everything unhealthy with no consequences! Gilmore Girls, looking at you. I would much rather see a character who actually diets and works out and is skinny, or even passes up food offered occasionally. Not because I think that is more laudable or anything, but because it is probably more true to how actors maintain their bodies.

This one doesn't really bother me for the most part. Mostly because for a network TV drama, over the course of 1 year we see maybe 924 minutes of someone's life (42 minutes times 22 episodes). That is less than 0.2% of their whole life that year. Which means there is lots of time for them to be doing stuff we might not care about like working out or sleeping or whatever. The only time it did bug me was 30 Rock, because Liz Lemon ate like total crap and constantly was talking about how she hated all exercise. Then again that was a totally absurd comedy that didn't really reflect real life for the most part so even then I could get over it.

I just turned 50 - three weeks ago - and I love menopause jokes.  Of course, I haven't hit menopause yet, so maybe when the hot flashes start, I might feel differently.

Now schlubby guys with hot wives but no schlubby women with hot husbands - that I hate.  And the skinny girls who eat like NFL linemen but never gain any weight; I know they do exist, but not in nearly as large a proportion of the population as they do on tv.

I'm sure you wouldn't like to be considered a golden anything!

Eh, I don't particularly care one way or the other.

• Love 5

I just thought of one. It doesn't really apply to much since I don't watch soap operas anymore since ABC canceled its lineup but I always enjoyed "The Man Everyone Wanted Dead."

Stephano of Days of Our Lives would fit this one.

(edited)

Stephano of Days of Our Lives would fit this one.

Soaps did it a lot.   I watched Days of Our Lives for awhile but ABC's lineup was the ones I watched the most and I haven't seen "The Man Everyone Wanted Dead" Mystery on anything other then soaps.  My favorite was ALL My Children's murder of Michael Cambias.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)

Soaps did it a lot.   I watched Days of Our Lives for awhile but ABC's lineup was the ones I watched the most and I haven't seen "The Man Everyone Wanted Dead" Mystery on anything other then soaps.  My favorite was ALL My Children's murder of Michael Cambias.  

Yes.  Most of these were soaps.  Will Cortland AMC and Damian Smith GH.  Who shot JR the biggest one ever.

Who Shot Mr. Burns? - the Simpsons. is the only non-soap one I can think of but that was a spoof. 

Soaps would tend to do "Who Murdered the Asshole" ,  Other genres tend to do a whodunit where the motives don't paint the victim in quite as bad a light,

Edited by ParadoxLost

Most episodes of Murder, She Wrote were about The Man (or Woman) Everyone Wanted Dead. The victim would spend the first 10 minutes or so of the episode being unjustifiably nasty to several people, invoking "I'll kill you before I let you <fill in the motive here>!" responses from them all before being found mysteriously dead. Then Jessica would step in, expose all their motives and solve the case.

Only here could I find a heated discussion about Golden Girls!

Anyway, my trope peeve: When any TV couple is on screen and the man has a weighty matter on his mind, the woman resorts to making absurd statements to prove he isn't listening: "and then aliens tried to abduct me but fortunately some kindly pirates were sailing by and chased them off ... " and the man says, "That's nice, dear ..." or something to that effect.

And this:  Character A has something of dire importance to tell Character B, and implores character B, "We really need to talk, it's very important," but Character B always has some other pressing appointment or gets a sudden phone call and promises Character A they'll talk later, usually while in the process of hurrying out the door.    Any real person would stop in their tracks and listen, but on TV bad news and serious dilemmas can be put off until the next act.

• Love 6
(edited)

I do agree with that, though it is a curiosity that there's that and yet the continued - seemingly bottomless - trope of "schlubby guy, smoking hot wife." I would love to enter an age where political correctness put an end to that one.

Given how ubiquitous it is, I think this one is more of a Writers' Guild rule than a trope.   I saw a preview for something called The Jim Gaffagan Show.    The show is based on the life of married couple Jim and Jeannie Gaffigan.    Gaffigan, 49, qualifies as a paunchy schlub, IMHO.  (His memoir is entitled Dad Is Fat, while his latest book is Food: A Love Story).   His real life wife Jeannie is 45.

In the show, Gaffigan plays himself, but his wife Jeannie is played by Ashley Williams, who is 36, eight years younger than the real Jeannie (13 years younger than Gaffigan), and easy on the eyes.  Ironically, the real Jeannie Gaffigan is an actress herself.

What would be so wrong about casting an age-appropriate actress to portray the man's wife, if the real woman the character's based on is indeed 45?   

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Sometimes I think the time is ripe for someone like Bridget Everett to pitch a Comedy Central show where she's married to a patient, responsible man who is cleaning up the messes created by her lovable playfulness and is played by someone like Ryan Paevey or Robbie Amell.

Does this count as trope, Valentine's Day or New Years Eve is coming up and everyone is desperate to find a date for those nights, they must have a date, they must have a kiss at New Years Eve because anything else means their a loser. Staying in alone on those nights means your a loser. Cause you can't just let it pass, or even pick up or cook your own favorite food and pick out a movies or tv shows to watch that night or read. Or get together with family and/or friends to do something or hang out or have your own party. Or go out with your friends and/or family.  Or just do nothing at all. I've gone out on those nights with dates, I've also stayed in or went to friend's house or family and still had a really great night. I've gone out with friends and families. A couple times we even had Valentine's Day, the next night with the markdown candy. Sometimes even did nothing because most of us had to work the next day or just didn't feel like doing anything. No one was two seconds away from hanging themselves or bawling into the night cause they were a loser or just became an outcast.

• Love 10

Given how ubiquitous it is, I think this one is more of a Writers' Guild rule than a trope. I saw a preview for something called The Jim Gaffagan Show. The show is based on the life of married couple Jim and Jeannie Gaffigan. Gaffigan, 49, qualifies as a paunchy schlub, IMHO. (His memoir is entitled Dad Is Fat, while his latest book is Food: A Love Story). His real life wife Jeannie is 45.

In the show, Gaffigan plays himself, but his wife Jeannie is played by Ashley Williams, who is 36, eight years younger than the real Jeannie (13 years younger than Gaffigan), and easy on the eyes. Ironically, the real Jeannie Gaffigan is an actress herself.

What would be so wrong about casting an age-appropriate actress to portray the man's wife, if the real woman the character's based on is indeed 45?

I have been watching old episodes of King of Queens (hello schlubby guy hot wife!) on TVLand and, though I record and mostly fast forward through commercials, nearly every break is to advertise Jim Gaffigan's new show and I've seen enough to know out looks really really bad. First of all does the network think sheer repetition of the same ads will eventually make a person want to watch a show they had no interest in the first 10 times they saw the ad? Second of all every commercial is there to hammer home that 10 years ago Gaffigan couldn't even get a date but now that he's famous and has money he had this hot wife and was able to procreate with her 5 times. Hence the casting of the younger actress rather than Gaffigan's own wife. Apparently being married for your money is a badge of honor.

Does this count as trope, Valentine's Day or New Years Eve is coming up and everyone is desperate to find a date for those nights, they must have a date, they must have a kiss at New Years Eve because anything else means their a loser.

I will never go out with anyone who celebrates Valentine's Day. 

In the same vein, it's always the male who has to rush around and buy the perfect gift make the perfect date. *eyeroll*

In Japan, the women give their male friends homemade sweets on Valentine's day. 

• Love 1

They started advertising Jim Gaffigan's show waaaay too early.

Have we  seen any clips that show it being bad? I thought the commercials were just funny vignettes.

Also, Jim Gaffigan's wife IRL is very pretty,and he really does have five kids, but I'm not sure if that was your point.

They started advertising Jim Gaffigan's show waaaay too early.

Have we  seen any clips that show it being bad? I thought the commercials were just funny vignettes.

Also, Jim Gaffigan's wife IRL is very pretty,and he really does have five kids, but I'm not sure if that was your point.

The only point was, he's 49 yet they paired him with an actress 13 years younger -- fully 8 years younger than his actual wife, whom Ashley Williams is ostensibly playing.   It's okay for Gaffigan to be fat and schlubby and 49 years old, but apparently a 45-year-old wife isn't acceptable in a sitcom scenario.

I got a "this is going to suck" vibe from the clips too.    The "sitcom based on the life of a standup comic/star of the show" has become a trope in itself.

• Love 1

If you are a woman who lives in the city, has a career of her own, eats sensibly, works out, dresses well, is clean, not an outdoorsy type, and a brunette to boot? Yeah, you will never, ever be written to be rooted for by the audience. You will either be the other woman or the out and out villainess, but never the heroine (or, at the very least, someone we care about).

• Love 6

If you are a woman who lives in the city, has a career of her own, eats sensibly, works out, dresses well, is clean, not an outdoorsy type, and a brunette to boot? Yeah, you will never, ever be written to be rooted for by the audience. You will either be the other woman or the out and out villainess, but never the heroine (or, at the very least, someone we care about).

But ... but ... Mary Tyler Moore.

• Love 2
You can only be happy living in a small town with small town folks. Cities are for soulless workaholics.

Jon Stewart did a good monologue on TDS ripping this apart. At some point in a presidential election cycle, the candidates bend over backwards to proclaim how they have 'small town values'. I grew up in a small town. I don't think there's anything I learned there that I wouldn't have learned in the Big City. I lived in several Big Cities. I liked it and would rather live there. I ended up this week moving to a smallish city for a job opportunity. I don't see a difference. I mean, cost of living is awesome. I can travel to the Big City now if I want. I think people who go on and on about small towns and values are actually just afraid of the world. 

• Love 2
(edited)
Cities are for soulless workaholics.

I find this funny because I sometimes get bothered by the opposite geographical stereotype, cities are the only places where there are intelligent, cultured people with any ambition or ability to understand nuance at all.  

In contrast, the tv trope I hate is that people people in the "flyover" states are only interested in trivial, conventional lives and ideas and are therefore unworthy of consideration.. On tv, if you're Midwestern, you're probably the stereotype of a bumbling rube in one way or another.  The Midwestern character is not going to be talented or intelligent enough to be the smart one in the room,  too naive to understand innuendo or the way the world works, and too conventional to care about having any kind of interesting life at all (not to mention any curiosity about a relationship with an interesting person). If you live in a Red State, you probably are all these things, as well as being unwilling to take any risks, or think about hard issues or become informed about politics.  And heaven help you if you're Canadian!

ETA:

In the same vein, it's always the male who has to rush around and buy the perfect gift make the perfect date. *eyeroll*

There used to be tv commercials that I thought were downright damaging.  This was the trope (stated explicitly) that the man (in those days) should spend at least 6 months of income on an engagement ring, otherwise he was being cheap and the woman not only should be disappointed but maybe find him unacceptable.  I can't remember the exact commercials, but it seemed to be a pretty standard message in all jewelry ads around Valentine's Day.  .

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 6

I grew up in a small town and moved to the city for better job opportunities. I hate the whole Southerners are more polite than Northeners  trope. I think if you have to use folksy sayings to get your point across you aren't more polite you are evasive.

• Love 4
There used to be tv commercials that I thought were downright damaging.  This was the trope (stated explicitly) that the man (in those days) should spend at least 6 months of income on an engagement ring, otherwise he was being cheap and the woman not only should be disappointed but maybe find him unacceptable.  I can't remember the exact commercials, but it seemed to be a pretty standard message in all jewelry ads around Valentine's Day. 

Yeah, that's their standard message but its also gone into tv shows hasn't it? Or is it tv movies, where the women always thinks about breaking up with their boyfriends for buying a cheap ring, all he can afford. Or has friends or family encouraging her to dump him for being so cheap. The fact he's a great guy, loves her and treats her well doesn't matter, only how much he spent on the ring.   

I grew up in a small town and moved to the city for better job opportunities. I hate the whole Southerners are more polite than Northeners  trope. I think if you have to use folksy sayings to get your point across you aren't more polite you are evasive.

Agreed. I get so sick of Southerners sanctimoniously proclaiming how they value thank-you notes, and how it's such a Southern gesture. Um, my parents are from New England, and they were very strict about thank-you notes, even before we moved to the South. Get over yourselves.

The older I get, the less patience I have with fictional couples who get together only because, as the late Roger Ebert always used to say, the plot absolutely requires them to. It's always the same: the guy will relentlessly pursue the girl because, hey, females, we're basically objects to be procured, right? The prize... I mean, the girl (or woman) will put up a show of resistance, but will inevitably fall into the guy's arms in the end because.... plot! No character development, no common interests or beliefs, no compatible personalities, but because the writers will it to be. I was chatting with someone who was gushing over Billy Madison (not even the famous game show host scene), and I suddenly remembered how stupid it was that Billy and Veronica get together in the end, because she's so out of his league it's not even funny. What do they have in common? Why would she be happy with him? What keeps them together? I mean, I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them, but I have my limits. Same with TV couples. Why should Ross "get" Rachel? They have nothing in common, and even in the realm of fiction they'd bore each other senseless in no time flat. Why should Urkel "get" Laura? She's annoyed by him for good reason, she doesn't owe him a damn thing. Why should Leonard "get" Penny? Even Professor Proton called them on this: "What do you two talk about?!"

• Love 8

ETA:

There used to be tv commercials that I thought were downright damaging.  This was the trope (stated explicitly) that the man (in those days) should spend at least 6 months of income on an engagement ring, otherwise he was being cheap and the woman not only should be disappointed but maybe find him unacceptable.  I can't remember the exact commercials, but it seemed to be a pretty standard message in all jewelry ads around Valentine's Day.  .

That was the De Beers group pitch. Diamond rings went from the exception to the rule worldwide and now in formally Maoist China the percentages are increasing last I heard to about a third of new brides getting the diamond ring. Good for them since in the first world percentages are dropping due to the blood diamonds and what the trade does to the African source

The older I get, the less patience I have with fictional couples who get together only because, as the late Roger Ebert always used to say, the plot absolutely requires them to. It's always the same: the guy will relentlessly pursue the girl because, hey, females, we're basically objects to be procured, right? The prize... I mean, the girl (or woman) will put up a show of resistance, but will inevitably fall into the guy's arms in the end because.... plot! No character development, no common interests or beliefs, no compatible personalities, but because the writers will it to be. I was chatting with someone who was gushing over Billy Madison (not even the famous game show host scene), and I suddenly remembered how stupid it was that Billy and Veronica get together in the end, because she's so out of his league it's not even funny. What do they have in common? Why would she be happy with him? What keeps them together? I mean, I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them, but I have my limits. Same with TV couples. Why should Ross "get" Rachel? They have nothing in common, and even in the realm of fiction they'd bore each other senseless in no time flat. Why should Urkel "get" Laura? She's annoyed by him for good reason, she doesn't owe him a damn thing. Why should Leonard "get" Penny? Even Professor Proton called them on this: "What do you two talk about?!"

Because sometimes, their differences make them stronger.  I know it sounds like a cliché, but it does happen from time to time.

• Love 2

I don't know that anyone "should" get someone, but maybe they converse about the things they don't have in common? I'd think the differences might be what keeps things interesting.

• Love 3

Six months salary with salaries what they are nowadays would be insane for a ring.

Which is why the percentage was how De Beers made their pitch rather that something like a thousand or a million.

In contrast, the tv trope I hate is that people people in the "flyover" states are only interested in trivial, conventional lives and ideas and are therefore unworthy of consideration..

Um, my parents are from New England, and they were very strict about thank-you notes, even before we moved to the South.

Born in Maine and raised in Vermont here (the rest of the family stayed in Maine).  These two states are apparently filled with a bunch of toothless idiots who wouldn't know good manners to save their lives. *eyeroll*

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree. I know opposites attract and their tv couples but what do they talk about? Penny

doesn't like anything Leonard does she's constantly commenting on the shows he likes and

everything else. But every once in awhile she admits she has no idea what he's talking

about. So why are they together? Does she really want to spend the rest of her life

having no idea what he's talking about or asking him to explain? I know Ross and Rachel

ended up together but its hard to believe they'd stay together, they have nothing in common.

Luke and Lorelai is another couple, Luke is a hermit and there's nothing wrong with that but

Lorelai isn't. When they start dating someone else and many times I end up think their a

better fit then the one set in stone. Like with Beckett, I thought Deming was a better fit for

her. I could easily see her marrying him or another cop.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

There's a good article out there about how some guys think they deserve to "get" the "hot chick" because they went to college, have a good job, work hard; basically good members of society. So that makes them entitled to "pursue" her. 

And seriously, if you want to buy a giant ring; go ahead. Spent your money how you want. However, if you can't afford one, or don't want one, then that shouldn't make your relationship any less meaningful. That's the message from these ads, and they can gtfo. 

I also can't stand the ads where the spouse buys the other a car. Who makes a major purchase like that without consulting their spouse?

• Love 5

Six months salary with salaries what they are nowadays would be insane for a ring.

I do remember the DeBeers ads but IIRC (and even various wedding guides/articles have mentioned this) it isn't 6 months salary - it's 3 months salary as a guideline.

[trivia alert] You're right about diamond rings being pushed is relatively recent;  for centuries, it was sapphires given as gifts to a lover or bride, since blue represented faithfulness and fidelity. [/trivia alert]

• Love 2
(edited)

There's a good article out there about how some guys think they deserve to "get" the "hot chick" because they went to college, have a good job, work hard; basically good members of society. So that makes them entitled to "pursue" her. 

Do you mean this Cracked article? I love that one, and, boy howdy, it's not that far off.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

Not a TV trope but delighted to find out that jennifer beals stars i proof, she's 51. Hope davs on wayward pines is 52. Neither remotely a golden girl stereotype. I knd of love that beals stars because her character is a surgeon with teenage kids. Surgeons (women) don't have kids in their 20s because they are in medical school and then rotation,

Finally,

Now back to TV tropes.

Man proposing with ring in hand. Literally everyone I know went with fiancé to pick out ring. If you're going to wear it girl while life input is a good thing,

All tens go to prom. And it's a big deal to them. I skipped mine and never regretted it!

• Love 2

Yes - even three months salary is a lot.  I see women at work with big rocks on their hands, and the couple will live In a small apartment because after the insane amount of money they spent on a ring and an elaborate wedding, they don't have money to put down on a house.  That's the other TV trope -  that you have to have a HUGE, elaborate, expensive wedding.   How many times do we see people competing on game shows, cooking shows, for money for a wedding?  TV shows have taught us that we can't get married unless we can afford elegant flowers, gourmet food, designer wedding dress, luxury honeymoon, etc.  What happened to having the wedding you can afford, and then saving for a house?

• Love 7

Or skipping the wedding entirely. There's no way I would be able to allow my future in-laws (if I got married) to plunk down $20K+ on me for anything. Plus, in all the family weddings I've been privy to, everyone argues for months and months because the parents are paying so they want to call the shots. 

Something always goes wrong on tv with the elaborate wedding but then it's ok at the end.

• Love 4

Yes - even three months salary is a lot.  I see women at work with big rocks on their hands, and the couple will live In a small apartment because after the insane amount of money they spent on a ring and an elaborate wedding, they don't have money to put down on a house.  That's the other TV trope -  that you have to have a HUGE, elaborate, expensive wedding.   How many times do we see people competing on game shows, cooking shows, for money for a wedding?  TV shows have taught us that we can't get married unless we can afford elegant flowers, gourmet food, designer wedding dress, luxury honeymoon, etc.  What happened to having the wedding you can afford, and then saving for a house?

A huge elaborate expensive wedding planned in a week or less, with perfectly fitted couture wedding dress (off the rack, of course), venues that are big enough and available on the desired date, a priest or minister or rabbi who has nooo problem officiating over such a hasty marriage, and so on.  

Unless for Plot any or all of these need to be issues that will be comedically, dramatically, or dramedically resolved (or not) to produce a Perfect Wedding or a Perfect Mess.  A perfect wedding is followed fairly soon by perfectly stupid marital problems.  A perfect mess will be followed by days or months or years of savagely bitter feuding. 

And then a new showrunner is hired who will ignore all of it.

Can a pattern of bad plot behavior be a trope?  Or is it some bigger noun?

• Love 1

That's the other TV trope -  that you have to have a HUGE, elaborate, expensive wedding.   How many times do we see people competing on game shows, cooking shows, for money for a wedding?  TV shows have taught us that we can't get married unless we can afford elegant flowers, gourmet food, designer wedding dress, luxury honeymoon, etc.  What happened to having the wedding you can afford, and then saving for a house?

Judging by the running commentary of the few event coordinators I know, this is not limited to TV.  Whether TV influenced or is merely reflecting reality (or a combination of both), the idea of a wedding (ring, dress, reception, etc.) one can actually afford - not just come up with ways to finance - has gone the way of the dodo for most people.  

• Love 1

Judging by the running commentary of the few event coordinators I know, this is not limited to TV.  Whether TV influenced or is merely reflecting reality (or a combination of both), the idea of a wedding (ring, dress, reception, etc.) one can actually afford - not just come up with ways to finance - has gone the way of the dodo for most people.  

That's probably because information is coming from people who plan such things for a living.  Once you go with an event coordinator you can assume 'can't afford' happens quite a lot.  Every wedding I've been to lately has been in a scenic but relatively obscure parks or campgrounds.  Affordable destination weddings with nature offsetting a lot of the usual costs (venue, flowers, etc)

• Love 3

And of course, on tv, you will put your name down for the super exclusive, years long waiting list special place to get married despite not even dating anyone.   Then you will get a phone call saying that there was a cancellation for that very weekend and somehow you made it to the top of the years long list for the venue.   Wacky hijinks ensue.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't mind if people actually have the money to spend. But those that don't, well

don't there's hundreds of ways to have a nice wedding without spending nearly a

million dollars or the amount you could use to buy a house or pay for college.

On those dress shows were you have the Bride begging, guilty and/or sobbing

to get their parents,relatives or who ever said they'd pay for their wedding dress

when they find one that's like thousands more then they agreed to pay. They sob,

cry, plead, guilt. And their friends often get into it too. Its her dream dress, she

looks great in it, Mom/Grandma/Aunt is a bitch for not ponying up the extra cash.

You never see those friends offering to pay the difference or the bride herself

decide to pay the difference, or you know buy the dress herself. I can't even imagine

asking my parents drop that kind of amount.  

It is amazing how no matter how different the girls are on each tv show, they nearly

all want the "Princess wedding". Really? No one wants a small wedding or to elope?

The only time that ever comes up when the bride is stressed out from planning their

fancy wedding. Not a real option. Same with going to Vegas. Somehow usually when

their at the alter, they'll decide that's not the right way to get married. They should have

a real wedding. None of the couples decide to go the courthouse and get married.

Or get married in a backyard. This one comes up a lot on soaps, the couple can't

afford a wedding, so their friends decide to throw them the fancy wedding.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

I do have to say, I have a friend from a wealthy family that got even wealthier because of inheritance; I'm talking about *owning* *two* houses in San Francisco. Like the good part of the city. They had a wedding at a vineyard and chartered a bus from the city and back so we could all drink on the way. It wasn't actually an elaborate wedding. It was, they read the vows, then we all ate and drank at the open bar. 

So, make friends with someone rich is my point. But even that wouldn't be a TV Wedding. It was remarkably low key. I didn't even have to wear a suit. My date ended up stealing someone's booze and we ended up back at my place with our dogs and don't know how we got there. She didn't sober up until the next evening. 

Actually, that would be a good episode of tv now that I think about it. 

• Love 5