Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E04: Great Wide Open

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Sad to see Mark go and know this is it for the show's lifetime. They'll finish out the season but at least Mark got a goodbye out of it.

If CBS were smart, they'd make a Young Ducky/Gibbs spinoff.....

..but the big news is ,we finally saw how he got the boat out of the basement!!!!!!!

• Love 12

Seems odd Gibbs thanked McGee for having his back for 18 years. McGee was a probie when he joined the team. DiNozzo was second in command for years. But he wasn't there to thank so that may explain it. Even with Gibbs this season seemed to lack something. I'll keep watching (it's the only network show I never miss) but not with as much enthusiasm. The producers talk like 'you can't count Gibbs out' etc but I don't buy it. Of all the original cast David McCallum is the only one still there, even if he does little more than make an occasional cameo every month or two. I suspect this will be the final season.

• Love 4

The trades reported that Harmon was ready to retire at the end of last season, but he agreed to return for a limited number of episodes because CBS was going to cancel it without him. But what’s the difference between Harmon leaving at the end of last season, or basically four episodes later?

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The trades reported that Harmon was ready to retire at the end of last season, but he agreed to return for a limited number of episodes because CBS was going to cancel it without him. But what’s the difference between Harmon leaving at the end of last season, or basically four episodes later?

They got season 19 and a chance to build the show without him. No idea if this is going to work, NCIS and NCIS: LA very much revolve around their leads; they're characters in every sense of the word. NCIS: New Orleans could probably have survived without Pride but I think it's much harder for the other two.

I really did not see the exit coming. I knew that Harmon had agreed to a few episodes but I expected that they were going to draw out this case, make it a season long arc and keep Gibbs present throughout the whole season while he's present physically in only a few episodes.

Why does this new FBI agent have to look so much like Fornell (with a beard)? And if he's going to join the team, will he be a probie? That would certainly create an interesting dynamic.

• Love 4

You all seem very sure Gibbs/Harmon won't be back at all, but this is from an article in 'People' today: 

"Gibbs' goodbye may not be forever, however.

"As an executive producer and dear friend, Mark continues to be an integral part of the fabric of the show. Our north star has always been staying true to our characters, and that truth has always guided the stories we tell and where those characters go," Binder, executive producer, told PEOPLE in a statement. "So regarding the future of Gibbs, as long-time fans of the show may have noticed over the years…never count Leroy Jethro Gibbs out.""

• Useful 1

As Gibbs and McGee were walking on the dock in Alaska to talk to the father of one of the victims, Gibbs pointed out an old boat in need of a lot of work, and McGee said something like it was barely floating.  At the end of the show I thought that the seed of Gibbs' next boat project had been planted.  I'm sorry to see the end of the Gibbs era, but happy that in my imagination he will be restoring a boat, fishing, and perhaps finally finding the peace he has sought since the death of his wife and child.  A guest appearance once in a while would be icing on the cake.   

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 11

So the great Leroy Jethro Gibbs goes out not with a bang, but with a whimper.

After the comments about the "great boat!" regarding the old tub at the marina, I expected we'd see Gibbs happily fixing it up as a live-aboard, but we've already seen that with Sam on NCIS:LA.  It definitely seems to be more of a Gibbs thing than a Sam thing, so I wasn't going to quibble about that too much.

But then it ends with Gibbs standing in hip-waders in a lake in the Alaska wilderness with a single packpack, rifle, and fishing pole to his name?  Has the show jumped genres and now Gibbs is a contestant on Alone?  Certainly not Naked and Afraid, it's too cold there!

I guess I'm OK with it, it has been increasingly obvious during the last several seasons that Harmon's heart wasn't really in it anymore.  I think he was weary of the character, and weary of the constant grind.  A little of his spark left over the whole Paulie Perrette thing, and it wasn't fun anymore for him.  I'll still watch, of course, and while I'm neutral on Gary Cole, the actor, I'm not fond of this character.  I was surprised that he "switched sides" there at the end, so maybe there is hope for a complex and layered new team lead.  Or not.  Time will tell.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I really did not see the exit coming. I knew that Harmon had agreed to a few episodes but I expected that they were going to draw out this case, make it a season long arc and keep Gibbs present throughout the whole season while he's present physically in only a few episodes.

Same here.  About halfway through after Gibbs being uncharacteristically sentimental and warm and thanking people (really, it was Harmon speaking to those actors/friends which was very sweet), I thought "hold on, is this his departure episode??"  He will be missed, but I do like Gary Cole and hope they can keep the show running.  Not a fan so far of the way they're writing Katrina Law (she's too glib and borderline flirtatious for me) but we'll see.  I'll stick with the show because I love the premise and the rest of the cast.

• Love 7
On 10/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, thewhiteowl said:

Gibbs and McGee head to Alaska while the team works at home to uncover the conspiracy behind the serial killer.

I'm still unclear how/why McGee went with him. Was it just so Gibbs could have the Final Farewell Scene (FFS) with someone from the team?

• Love 1

I sincerely hope Gary Cole's character is not made team leader.  He was just fired from the FBI and having NCIS employ him immediately is questionable, at best.  Also, McGee has earned the right to be team leader.  He's been there 18 years.   If anything, Cole's character should, technically, begin as a probie.  They made Ziva go through that and she was with a Mossad agent.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I'll stick with the show because I love the premise and the rest of the cast.

Yeah, I like the new(er) characters enough to keep watching.

4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

So the great Leroy Jethro Gibbs goes out not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I thought it was fitting and consistent. He always seemed to be fond of how Mike Franks had retired (and even moved in with him at the end of the season 3).

I'll still watch, of course, and while I'm neutral on Gary Cole, the actor, I'm not fond of this character.  I was surprised that he "switched sides" there at the end, so maybe there is hope for a complex and layered new team lead.  Or not.  Time will tell.

I hope that they're not making him team leader as he'd be new. So far, the newcomers all started out as probies (Kate, McGee, Ziva) and while I know that it happens in real life all the time, I think it would also be unfair to McGee. I really want to see how he handles being team leader. He's such a different character from Gibbs (and Tony).

• Love 1

It became increasingly clear that this is Gibbs' departure episode and I'm okay with that. He might pop up occasionally like Ducky does but it was clear for a while that this arc will be his swan song. Not sure if the show can survive but I like the new team and if they add Parker that could be interesting to watch. More interesting than seeing Gibbs going through the same trauma over and over again. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I'm still unclear how/why McGee went with him. Was it just so Gibbs could have the Final Farewell Scene (FFS) with someone from the team?

Also as a reminder of some of the trips the two of them have taken on cases in the past. 

it’s possible this show could go on without him ( the Closer became Major Crimes).  However 19 seasons is a lot and there’s not a lot of new ground to cover in terms of material. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

They got season 19 and a chance to build the show without him. No idea if this is going to work, NCIS and NCIS: LA very much revolve around their leads; they're characters in every sense of the word. NCIS: New Orleans could probably have survived without Pride but I think it's much harder for the other two.

Hmm, I feel almost the opposite. I think New Orleans was very much tied into Pride and revolved around him in a way that the others weren't around their leads.  I think that's at least part of the reason the show never became quite as popular as the other two.

Anyway, I think McGee was on the trip to Alaska to make sure that it was his character there at the end with Gibbs, which given their relationship makes sense. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him as team leader.

I'm curious to see how they integrate Parker into the fold. I don't see him becoming an NCIS agent (he's too old among other things), so maybe we'll find out that he wasn't completely fired from the FBI and he becomes a liaison ala the way Deeks' character on NCIS:LA used to be?

Edited by Slade347
  • Love 1

This was a good exit for Gibbs IMO - I thought it made sense that he wanted to move on to something new and hopefully find peace. I really liked the last scene of Gibbs fishing in the bay, and seeing how Gibbs seemed happy for once. The final scene between Gibbs/McGee was really good, I’m glad that’s who Gibbs had his last scene with and them fishing in the bay was nice.

It was a satisfactorily conclusion to the case and I’m glad they can now get back to having regular cases of the week.

It was awesome to see Ducky again, and his goodbye with Gibbs was particular touching, I’ve always liked that friendship. It was also nice to see Ducky and Jimmy interact again in the morgue. I do wish Gibbs had gotten to say goodbye to Jimmy, I always found that relationship  interesting and they became much closer over the last few seasons and I wish Gibbs and Palmer had had a scene in the episode.

Going forward, I really hope they don’t make Parker the new team leader, McGee has been with the NCIS team for 18 years and he should be the boss now. I look forward to see more of McGee in a leadership role and I’ll be pissed if they suddenly announce Parker will be leading the team, that would be absolutely stupid. I do like Knight though, she’s much better than Bishop.

This is probably the show’s last season, given how closely Gibbs was tied to the show, but I think it could survive without him, I’m interested to see how it does going forward.

• Love 3

17 hours ago, Kyle said:

Cast and crew at least get this season. Hopefully we are finished with Covid shutdowns so everyone should have a better shot at finding other work. Based on everything I have read about him, Harmon is a decent guy. He did it for the people he has worked with for so long.

Edited by chlban
  • Love 4

It’s the end of an era.  None of the remaining characters interest me remotely and there’s just no reason to stay with it.  

I liked finally seeing Mark and Pam appear together but it did signal his ending on the show since it would be the last chance to do it.

As the strong characters left, it seemed like they were replaced with teenagers.  Replacing the phenomenal Ducky with the silly smirking Jimmy was the worst.

• Love 3

It used to be all the NCIS franchises were must watch TV for me. My favorite was the mothership NCIS, then NCIS-Nola, and lastly NCIS -LA (LA was a bit too flash bang shoot em out but I liked the characters mostly). I tried with Hawaii but couldn't get into it and on Monday, it was the first time I switched off NCIS and watched a rerun of Rizzoli & Isles switching back to NCIS during commercials. (I'll watch it online just to see Harmon's last show.} I guess I am done...may watch LA but not sure... If TPTB knew this was coming down they should have kept NOLA, IMO.

Hmmmm…did anyone notice that the right side of the bow of the run-down boat Gibbs was drawn to had the word “Start” on it?

If I were a betting person, we’re gonna see Marcie in a convertible picking him up somewhere (whether I’m DC or Alaska) and then we will see them together on this latest refurbished boat, and it will be brilliantly redone & then the bow will be face-forward to us and then we will see the full name on the bow is “New Start”. 

All the best to the actor that plays McGee, but he is not a leading man that can carry a show.  I understand why they brought in Gary Cole.

Not sure I’ll stick around for long haul, but will check in from time to time, especially when it’s time for final sign-off. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, pennben said:

Hmmmm…did anyone notice that the right side of the bow of the run-down boat Gibbs was drawn to had the word “Start” on it?

If I were a betting person, we’re gonna see Marcie in a convertible picking him up somewhere (whether I’m DC or Alaska) and then we will see them together on this latest refurbished boat, and it will be brilliantly redone & then the bow will be face-forward to us and then we will see the full name on the bow is “New Start”. 

All the best to the actor that plays McGee, but he is not a leading man that can carry a show.  I understand why they brought in Gary Cole.

Not sure I’ll stick around for long haul, but will check in from time to time, especially when it’s time for final sign-off. 

If we're speculating on potential reasons for a Gibbs visit...I can see a Very Special Episode with Gibbs coming by to "borrow" the team (or just McGee and Torres) to go get Jack Sloane out of Afghanistan, now that the all the US and allies have left the country and the Taliban are in control.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, pennben said:

I'm also betting that McGee moves into Gibbs' house. DiNozzo's apartment must be getting pretty crowded by now. 

We also have to worry again about who gets custody of the goldfish.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MDL said:

"but the big news is ,we finally saw how he got the boat out of the basement!!!!!!!"

I missed much of the ep. How did he do it???

He blasted a hole in a wall.

Which begs the question: did he blast that wall when he made Kelly (boat he made and gave to Mike)? Or Diane, which he burned?

So stupid.

So, Gibbs will remain in Alaska...for now. Which will allow thieves and critters to get inside his home--the HOME he shared with Shannon and Kelly, to ransack and whatever else happens.

The whole Gibbs is a fugitive is such BULLSHIT. He didn't commit a crime; that serial killing Cokehead Colin made it a condition he would only reveal the "first victim" if Gibbs took him. No one arrested Gibbs last week. He's not under FBI's purview. It's so fucking STOOOOOOOOPID, that the FBI decides they finally have something to "take him down"?

I guess McGee got the line of thanks for having Gibbs' back for the past 18 years, since Murray is still on the show and Michael Weatherly isn't, because that line should have been to Tony.

• Love 2

He bashed a hole in the cement block wall, dug a ramp, and just dragged the boat out.

Which was kind of how I always thought he did it.  Gibbs is a primitive, practical*, fix-it kind of guy:  Need boat out.  Wall in way.  Break wall.  Get boat out.  Fix wall.  Build new boat.

*Well, practical other than he builds boats in his basement that necessitate him breaking his foundation to get them out.  We even had a clue about this in an older episode when he said he burned the boat in the backyard after naming after an ex-wife. 

Anyways, I came here to post the thought I had in the shower this morning.  They totally missed an opportunity here for an awesome post-credit bonus scene.  After fishing for a while after the helicopter flew off, Gibbs gathers his gear, takes one long look at the afternoon sun twinkling on the lake, turns with a small grin, and walks into the forest.   We see him walking along, observing his wilderness surroundings with a carefully evaluating look on his face.   He steps into a clearing to see a tight little cabin, wisps of smoke rising from the chimney.  He walks up to the cabin, leaves his wet gear on the wide covered porch, shoulders his backpack, and walks into the cabin.....where he finds.....  Hetty Lange cozily wrapped in a quilt next to the fire, rocking in a chair (handmade by Gibbs, years ago) sipping a cup of tea and attending to a venison roast over the fire.  She looks up and says "What took you so long?"  The shot then moves outside the cabin and the camera rises up in the air to show that behind the cabin is a sophisticated superhero's lair setup, complete with solar panels, sleek high-tech buildings, instrumentation, and helo pad all covered with a retractable camouflage canopy.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Maybe sailing into a port near Washington DC  in his 'new' rebuilt boat... all the way from Alaska!

Preferably with Marcie on board.

I am okay with Gibbs' departure and, yes, I did get teary eyed at the Gibbs and McGee farewell scene. I do hope we see Gibbs again, even if it's just a brief scene or two.  I'm sure we will at least hear about him.

I do hope too that McGee will become team leader, not Parker.

• Love 1

They totally missed an opportunity here for an awesome post-credit bonus scene.  After fishing for a while after the helicopter flew off, Gibbs gathers his gear, takes one long look at the afternoon sun twinkling on the lake, turns with a small grin, and walks into the forest.   We see him walking along, observing his wilderness surroundings with a carefully evaluating look on his face.   He steps into a clearing to see a tight little cabin, wisps of smoke rising from the chimney.  He walks up to the cabin, leaves his wet gear on the wide covered porch, shoulders his backpack, and walks into the cabin.....where he finds.....  Hetty Lange cozily wrapped in a quilt next to the fire, rocking in a chair (handmade by Gibbs, years ago) sipping a cup of tea and attending to a venison roast over the fire.  She looks up and says "What took you so long?"  The shot then moves outside the cabin and the camera rises up in the air to show that behind the cabin is a sophisticated superhero's lair setup, complete with solar panels, sleek high-tech buildings, instrumentation, and helo pad all covered with a retractable camouflage canopy.

I don't think Hetty and Gibbs are characters that are compatible. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they're good/effective team leaders (to their teams anyway) and like to defy their superiors. I don't think Gibbs is the training camp kind of guy. I can see him taking care of a troubled foster child but I can't see him grooming that kid or several. He just doesn't seem to be the type. (I also remember reading that Harmon didn't like NCIS LA because it was completely made up, hence, so few crossovers (which I didn't mind at all)).

Gibbs and Pride on the other hand... that I could see. Both in a secluded cabin somewhere in the woods or the swamp land of Louisiana.

12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know if Gibbs will make another appearance or not.  That said, I have always felt and still do that Gibbs would not survive the series.  The entire tone of this episode was sending the message that Gibbs would be okay.  I took that to mean that Gibbs accomplished all he needed to accomplish and that somehow before the season ends, his life will end, and that Gibbs is okay with that.

I think Gibbs was always okay with his life ending. That said, ending the entire series with his death, maybe, but I can't see them doing it before that. I don't think they'll kill their opportunity to potentially bring Gibbs back for an episode should the show go on beyond this season.

• Love 4

The quick flashback to the three headstones was a retcon. There were always just two ever since “Hiatus” and they weren’t silver/granite.

With Gibbs telling McGee he’s finally at peace for the first time since they died tells me that he doesn’t want a death wish any more and I CERTAINLY don’t want him killed off. Just let him retire officially, or have Leon have a throw away line about it instead of him not coming back.

• Love 8

I watched this series from the beginning for 420 episodes. I won't be watching it anymore.

It's like The X-Files after Duchovny left at the end of Season 7 of 11 or CSI after William Petersen left at the end of season 9 of 15. They were just not good shows anymore no matter who they brought in.

• Love 1

David McCallum is the only original cast member left.

Sean Murray didn't become a regular cast member until season two; and he only had like two or three episodes in the first season.

I stopped watching this show midway through Kasie's first season, I think? Even my love for Mark Harmon couldn't keep me in. I only tuned back in when I heard Pam Dawber was finally making a guest appearance.

And now I'm out again. I'll probably tune back in if/when Mark makes a guest spot or two.

But this show has deviated so far from what the premise was when Donald Bellisario created it. While Caitlin annoyed me, they actually investigated Navy crimes; and while the premise of Ziva was ridonkulous, they still investigated Navy crimes.

But Mark Harmon still has a gorgeous/charming smile and laugh.

• Love 2

On 10/13/2021 at 4:12 PM, Trey said:

I am okay with Gibbs' departure and, yes, I did get teary eyed at the Gibbs and McGee farewell scene. 

As that final scene was developing when McGee had waded out to bring Gibbs onto the boat, I was sooo struck by the anguish in Sean Murray's eyes when he was talking to Mark Harmon.  I have never seen him like that before.  Either it was the best acting I've ever seen, or it was genuine on the part of Sean.

• Love 4
On 10/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Mark Harmon still has a gorgeous/charming smile and laugh.

I really really stopped liking him with what came out about the whole Pauley Perrette thing, but dayum he is still soo hot!

• Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I really really stopped liking him with what came out about the whole Pauley Perrette thing, but dayum he is still soo hot!

Ha, funny, that is precisely when I really really stopped liking Pauley Perrette.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 3

Catching up on the show now, and I’m watching this episode currently.

During the conversation with the first victim’s dad, he was saying…I always knew she was dead. The cops insisted all this time that she was only missing, but I knew she was dead.

Dude! Her body was in HER HOUSE! It has been there the entire two years she was “missing.” What kind of crack investigative team do they have heading up missing persons investigations in her neck of the woods? A simple wellness check call could have taken care of that.

Also, did the dad have some phobia of planes? He was SO concerned that not once in two years did he think…hey, lemme go have a little look see myself.

Lastly, if she had enough cash in her bank account for her bills to keep getting paid for two years, apparently occasional freelance travel writing pays better than you would think. Maybe she has the same agent as Carrie Bradshaw! 😁

• Like 1