Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

nelroy78
  • Start Topic

This show really needs to be done. Every episode is Beverly being a bitch to her friends, Adam being needy, Murray sitting in his chair, Barry yelling and Erica being selfish. The last episode seemed like it was an hour long.

• Love 10
On 11/18/2021 at 6:18 PM, rmontro said:

Is the goal of this and every episode to get us to hate Beverly Goldberg?  That seems to be the aim.

I caught the end and when I saw she was yet again apologizing for being an awful person, I decided enough was enough. I deleted the ep without watching and took the series off the DVR. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I caught the end and when I saw she was yet again apologizing for being an awful person, I decided enough was enough. I deleted the ep without watching and took the series off the DVR. 

Congratulations.  I'm always impressed when someone weans themselves off of a television show.  I need to do more of that myself.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

So, how will they write Murray off? 

With the rest of the show?

The plots are recycled, and the actors seem tired.  Odd that it appears the least-objectionable on-screen character is, allegedly, the opposite off-screen.

• Love 4

The trades reported that Garlin’s role had already been reduced for this season. That’s why people notice he seems to be “edited into” scenes that were shot at another time. He only had a few days of shooting left for the season. My guess is that they won’t address Murray’s permanent absence this season for whatever episodes he doesn’t appear in. It’s easy enough to say that Murray is at work or out of town or whatever.

The real challenge will be next season. And I’m guessing there won’t be a next season, which is why Sony is willing to do this now.

• Love 4

I think last night's episode was the first one I watched all season so it was interesting that the Jeff Garlin announcement was the first thing I heard this morning.  The episode was awful and they have clearly run out of ideas. Adam was a little asshole and Bev's treatment of the NYU admissions officer was disgusting.  None of that was funny or entertaining.  They should probably kill of the Murray and end the show there.  Its over.  

• Love 4

I haven’t noticed that Murray looks edited in this season, but I felt he looks tired and unhealthy.  If there is another season, I think they could get away with doing what they’ve mostly been doing—just don’t even mention him when he’s not on camera. Saying he had a sudden heart attack would also be believable.

I keep waiting for them to try the American Housewife storyline where they gave the female lead a whole new set of friends. Beverly is so mean to her “friends.” Erica is such a loser/complainer. Jeff needs to run away while has the chance. Same for Bree. 

• Love 3

Uggh, it’s MIS-che-vous, not mis-CHEE-VE-ous. Is it the Dave Kim character who doesn’t know that, or everyone else involved with putting out this show?  Either way, it’s annoying the heck of of me. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
My rant would be more effective if I spelled it correctly.
  • Love 5
On 12/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Neiman said:

I haven’t noticed that Murray looks edited in this season

I didn't notice before either, but now that I've read about all the behind-the-scenes stuff, I definitely noticed it in tonight's episode. There were only a handful of shots that genuinely looked like Garlin was on set with the others, lots of back and forth camera shots of single actors talking, and lots of shenanigans with back of the head shots (included the Bev/Murray hug at the end) that were probably shot with stand-ins. I don't generally notice this kind of thing, but it really jumped out at me tonight, and then I started paying closer attention and it was super obvious.

It's a shame that Garlin made the working environment so toxic, because a good heartfelt scene actually showing Erica and Murray working on her vows should have been included. 

• Love 2
On 12/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Neiman said:

I keep waiting for them to try the American Housewife storyline where they gave the female lead a whole new set of friends.

That was because Ali Wong and Carly Hughes both left the show due to a toxic work environment. They were replaced by Holly Robinson Peete, Jake Choi and Jim Rash. The youngest daughter Anna Kat was also replaced, Julia Butters left in favor of Giselle Eisenberg. That was what got the show cancelled, despite the fact that it outrated Home Economics. 😢

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Uggh, it’s MIS-che-vous, not mis-CHEE-VE-ous. Is it the Dave Kim character who doesn’t know that, or everyone else involved with putting out this show?  Either way, it’s annoying the heck of of me. 

I just assumed it was Dave Kim the character who thought it was pronounced that way.  He wouldn't be alone in that; lots of people mispronounce that word.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I actually enjoyed last night's episode. Loved seeing the J__ T__ P___!!!!!! They always bring it, and yes, Barry is so OTT, just roll with it, give him enough rope and he'll eventually will blow it. The Barry Bond clip was so bad it was good,lol. Looked like they had a good laugh at the end.  

• Love 4

Thank God the JTP was here to save the day! They really make any episode better, even in just one scene. "Its been a long few decades." 

I have been waiting for this show to end for ages, it seems like finding out about the shows toxic environment could be the final nail in the coffin, but the show is like some kind of zombie cat with dozens upon dozen of lives. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, DanaMB said:

The goal was reached! I know I now hate Beverly Goldberg. Her real life counterpart had a lot to go with this also. 
I fell asleep watching this last night. It’s all the same crap. Show should have ended years ago. I’ll never understand how they can cancel goo sitcoms & this shit goes on forever. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, chediavolo said:

The goal was reached! I know I now hate Beverly Goldberg. Her real life counterpart had a lot to go with this also. 
I fell asleep watching this last night. It’s all the same crap. Show should have ended years ago. I’ll never understand how they can cancel goo sitcoms & this shit goes on forever. 

Same. I'm still mad they canceled "The Kids are Alright"

• Love 14

This latest episode was a big miss except for the JTP. I like the actor/character playing Murray's partner, but could've done without that unbelievable storyline.  If he's no longer married, he could be a new partner for Beverly once they write out Murray, I suppose.  

Please let Erica get married already. This long engagement with frequent comments about the upcoming wedding vows, dress, etc., is beyond stale. The actress even looks tired of talking about it. 

• Love 2

Ignoring the idiocy of Barry's advice and that Erica acted upon it, I thought this was the best episode in a very long time. Beverly stayed more in the quirky sphere as opposed to the obnoxious sphere, and it seemed like there was just general joy with the Fame aspects.

Can the show just end now though?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I don't think that Bev would have been so pushy and obnoxious if she didn't have a child in the graduating class.

Bev's always been pushy and obnoxious when it comes to her little shmoopy.  Surprised she didn't expect him to have a role in the musical in addition to directing.

I loved the Fame references. Great soundtrack.

However, I'm tired of Erica. Clearly, she's not a part of real Adam's childhood. No wonder they don't have much for her in terms of plot. It was nice to have a break from Brie too. 

It looks like no one is being filmed with Murray in the same session.  Funny how they danced around his empty chair at the dinner table. 

• Love 1

About time Brea broke up with Adam! He had it coming a season ago. But this was the last straw. Two wrongs don’t make a right. But at least Brea fessed up. Adam wasn’t going to tell her. And bringing the girl to her house? I am not sure anyone would do that in real life. She’s so much better off. And Beverly was definitely in the wrong for coming between Barry and Joann. I did like Barry and Beverly’s routine. 

Vic is suddenly a Canucks fan? He was wearing an Edmonton Oilers shirt in “Mama Drama.”

Morganna 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love 9

Congrats on finally seeing the light, Brea! I thought she should have dropped Adam a long time ago. I can't think of a single episode about their relationship that was just them enjoying each other's company. It was just and endless cycle of Bev meddling, or Adam doing something stupid and begging for forgiveness.

Now, if we can just get Linda, Essie, and especially Virginia to Dump Bev for good, the show can end with us feeling good about people getting the toxic folks out of their lives.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

And Beverly was definitely in the wrong for coming between Barry and Joann. I did like Barry and Beverly’s routine. 

I didn't mind that plot so much but I was distracted by trying to decide if that was supposed to be the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics where Torvill & Dean won gold with that incredible Bolero program or the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics when professionals were allowed to return and T&D were robbed of the gold by that skanky Russian and her partner.  'Cause we'd already seen an episode devoted to Live Aid in 1985 but allegedly we're still in the 80s.  Oy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

About time Brea broke up with Adam! He had it coming a season ago. But this was the last straw.

I'm pretty sure the writers intended us to feel bad about Adam and Brea breaking up, but instead the effect was to cheer her on.  The only thing I feel bad about is if it puts the actress playing Brea out of work for awhile.  Unless they plan to keep her around as a friend, which would be terrible, but I could see it.

I'm very surprised Beverly planned on being buried with Barry, because I would have guessed that she would want to be buried with Adam.  I hope this is the last season.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm pretty sure the writers intended us to feel bad about Adam and Brea breaking up, but instead the effect was to cheer her on.  The only thing I feel bad about is if it puts the actress playing Brea out of work for awhile.  Unless they plan to keep her around as a friend, which would be terrible, but I could see it.

I'm very surprised Beverly planned on being buried with Barry, because I would have guessed that she would want to be buried with Adam.  I hope this is the last season.

Lol, yea, so they could be buried side by side holding hands.  That Bev has got some serious ___ issues with her boys,lol. 

• Love 3

Its about damn time Brea finally broke up with Adam, I think we are supposed to be sad that they broke up, but I can only be happy that Brea is finally free from these toxic selfish people. Way to go Brea, the true hero!

I hate that everyone always has to apologize to Beverley even when she was the one acted like the asshole. If she wants to ice dancing to just be a her and Barry thing, cant she just say it like a normal person? But of course not, she has to huff and whine whenever she gets called out for her rude behavior and then everyone has to bend over backwards to make her feel better. This show is just exhausting at this point.  

• Love 4

Story-wise, I thought it was strange that Murray's friends were so involved in the ice skating plot. I like the characters and understand things are going on behind the scenes, but thought it was odd how they stepped in a few scenes without Murray.

I've never cared for the Adam and Brie relationship, so hopefully that's over. 

I like Barry and Joanne, but those two have way too much free time for law and med students.

I'm tired of the Erica relationship/engagement plot. I guess I don't understand what he sees in her.

• Love 3
On 1/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, Neiman said:

Story-wise, I thought it was strange that Murray's friends were so involved in the ice skating plot. I like the characters and understand things are going on behind the scenes, but thought it was odd how they stepped in a few scenes without Murray.

I half expected to learn that, I don't know, the actor who plays Vic is a gifted skater and they were setting him up for something dazzling in the last act.  Otherwise I'm with you, that didn't really make sense to me either.

• Love 1

I wish someone had tagged me to tell me that Adam and Brea broke up. I finally watched the episode and it was great. I mean, the episode itself was classic Adam/Brea bullshit that I hate, but at least the show finally, finally gave me what I wanted. They were never able to answer the question of why Adam and Brea are together, so I'm glad they manned up and pulled the trigger. 

Please tell me this is for good and these two aren't getting back together at Erica and Geoff's wedding or prom or graduation........they are, but for now, I can at least enjoy the fact that this horrible relationship is dead.😁

• Love 3

This really should be the last season but I'm afraid they'll try to milk it for one more season. I should stop watching but I'm a bit of a completionist. 

The show has become too insulated and will become more so with the exit of Jeff Garlin and with Brea leaving the storyline. We hardly see the jtp anymore. Adam used to have friends but we hardly see them involved in a story. Erica has no friends. That's become painfully apparent during the engagement storyline. And losing George Segal really hurt the show.

The stories only seem to include Bev, Adam, Barry, Erica and Geoff with a couple of peripheral characters thrown in.

• Love 11
(edited)

That awkward moment when Gerica’s breakup lasted longer than Breadam’s…🤦🏼‍♂️….the kiss in the sneak peek kinda gave it away….that and it was Valentine’s Day. I really liked the Barry/Erica storyline. For once Barry wasn’t a moron. I’ll have to say it was a good episode and welcome back Emmy Mirsky! No Murray.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 7

I'll admit that I got a kick out of the Schwartz's over the top love for Valentine's Day, and Erica and Barry's subsequent teasing about it- their impressions of Dr. Schwartz were actually pretty good! I also liked the cringey carriage ride they took and the resolution of them agreeing to build a more mature relationship with each other going forward. It was a pretty good storyline, and I can actually see their character growth.

I couldn't care less about Adam and Brea, so I mainly zoned out during their unconvincing declarations of love.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Man, this episode had some wild ups and downs. Barry and Erica were fantastic, both in their interactions with the Schwartzes and their Valentine's Date. I also enjoyed Adam's "He's out of gas, he's not used to going that long... on the highway"

But hoo boy the rest. The JTP laziness felt real, Dave Kim's horrific wig, and the whole notion of Adam and Brea getting back together again is just so bad. I appreciate the struggles with the behind the scenes drama, but maybe that's the queue it's time to end it.

• Love 4

I know I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but I'm super confused. When did Brea get over the fact that Adam thought it was okay to hide that he had a sexual indiscretion? (I don't know that I'd call a drunken kiss where someone is black out drunk "cheating" but don't think I came up with a good alternative.) 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Pallida said:

When did Brea get over the fact that Adam thought it was okay to hide that he had a sexual indiscretion?

She didn't. The show just completely ignored it to continue their "epic" romance. 🙄

• Love 3

I don't care about Brea and Adam, I don't think she should take him back, but the rest of the episode was actually pretty good. Barry and Erica were funny together and Barry wasn't a total idiot, he felt like an actual character for the first time in ages. They're grossed out reactions to Geoff's families affection were hilarious, as were their impressions of his dad, which were pretty spot on. 

"That's the kind of thing that's appropriate for a voting age man." Some of the jokes about Bev's creepy slobbering over her grown kids are funny, but mostly its become very disconcerting.

• Love 7