Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

nelroy78
  • Start Topic

On 5/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, Phishbulb said:

I'm just amused by the chutzpah of ABC renewing it for a full season 10, as if it's going to be able to continue going on beyond that. I figured they'd do the thing like they did with "Black-ish" where they renew it for a shortened final season (like 13 eps), letting the show wrap up every possible storyline and go out the way they want to. They call this "renanceling" 😀 (they did it with Brooklyn Nine-Nine too.)

I guess it's possible they could still announce they're doing this when ABC announces its full schedule during upfront week, but for right now it seems like it's going to be a full season of 22 episodes. I guess ABC doesn't have much on deck to replace it with, comedy-wise. 

I didn't see ABC getting rid of Black-ish and The Goldbergs in the same year. That would be too much for the schedule to overcome. But I highly doubt the show is going to get an eleventh season. Adam's going to college, Murray is getting written out. I don't like being that guy to say when a show should end, but once Jeff Garlin got fired, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Season ten should be the last one. 

12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Eating Chinese food every Sunday sounds pretty awesome to me, but of course Erica cant give her husband this one thing. At least Geoff stood up to her and they compromised, although Erica will inevitably forget this lesson by the next episode.

I don't like that Adam and Brea are back together, but she does provide much needed snark. "Don't they have staff meetings..." 

I also laughed when the one teacher asked who was sick of Adam's videos and Dave Kim raised his hand. Its kind of sad that the only characters I still enjoy aren't the main characters. At this point, it feels like they keep renewing this show just to fuck with us. 

Brea is one of my favorite characters now, mostly because of what you said. It killed me when she went off-script and told Adam what he wrote was bullshit, then a quick cut to her smiling. 

Also, I don't know if I'm just imagining things, but Adam and Brea breaking up and getting back together might have made their relationship better. They actually feel like a team now. Brea seems to accept how weird the Goldbergs' antics are and goes along with them, her and Adam aren't having conflicts every episode. Only time will tell, but I like Brea a lot more than I did at the start of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I think the actress who plays Brea is going to be on the next season of "Cruel Summer" on Freeform, so I wonder if they're going to be writing her out of the show. 

I hope so.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:11 AM, proserpina65 said:

And Mimi Kennedy rocked.

Thank you so much - it was driving me crazy that I couldn't place her! I knew the voice, but hadn't seen her on screen in a long time and couldn't figure out who it was.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, Phishbulb said:

I mean, eventually the '80s have to end, right? At what point does "The Goldbergs" just BECOME "Schooled"? 😄

When Lainey comes back as a regular character, we'll know we're there.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I’ll give the writers props because “other bad things have happened tonight, Linda!” killed me.  Also Adam’s half-hearted raising of the roof made me giggle.

And I’ll never be mad at them using Chicago and Belinda Carlisle.

• Love 2

And last night's episode demonstrated exactly why this show should not have been renewed for another season.  It wasn't funny, it actually wasn't awful, it was just . . . there.  It's clear that there isn't really anywhere for the storylines to go next season.

Although the way they worked that clip of Murray into the episode was somewhat clever since it's been established he spends half his time asleep in that chair.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Next week, the part of Murray will be played by a cardboard cutout that looks like him stuck on his chair. 

Crazy for You is a very underrated Madonna song so I am glad that they chose that one to close out on. Poor Brea, her sister is a selfish flake and she's been stuck with Adam for two years. 

Not a bad episode, just a boring one, this show is so painfully running on fumes. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Yeah, I'm tapping out after this season.

The supporting characters like Murray's friends, the JTP, and Mr Glascott are all good, but that's it.  They should do what The Simpsons has done, which has breathed new life into it, a lot of episodes now focus on a supporting character in Springfield.

• Love 7

My favorite part was Beverly and Glasscott listening through the vent. I think he makes a good substitute for Murray.  However, I don't really care to dig deep into Jeff and Erica's marriage.

I also don't care about Adam and Brea, so I wasn't interested in Brea's loser sister. No need to add new characters to the mix.

• Love 6

The scene with Murray was ridiculous.  Adam has time to leave a Madonna concert in downtown Philly to go home and seek Barry's advice and then return in time for the concert?

Love Madonna's music from the 80s ❤️

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Adam F. Goldberg responded to someone on Facebook who was complaining about the current state of the show. I can't post the photo right now (I got it from the Goldbergs subreddit), so I'll just sum up what he said here:

-Season six is Adam's favorite season, followed by season five. "8-Bit Goldbergs" is his favorite episode of the series. 

-After season six, Sony didn't step up in a real way and Disney did. The show was getting more expensive to produce and Disney was willing to take on the costs. The show is made with a cheaper budget now, which the network loves.

-Despite stepping down as showrunner, Adam was still interested in contributing episode ideas based on real-life events. The writers and producers weren't interested and wanted to make their own version of the show without his input.

-Adam notices the beating that The Goldbergs is taking in terms of public reception and says that it's painful for his family. He made it clear that he was never going to talk about the show, but had to address it because it's frustrating for him to hear people demand that he fix a show he's had no creative involvement in for three years. 

-Adam wants the writers to make an episode about Murray's death, but doesn't see it happening (implying that Murray most likely won't get killed off next season).

-Adam hopes that he is welcomed back to the show eventually. It looks like ABC/Sony forced him out for financial reasons and would rather the show continue without him having anything to do with it.

• Useful 12
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

Adam F. Goldberg responded to someone on Facebook who was complaining about the current state of the show. I can't post the photo right now (I got it from the Goldbergs subreddit), so I'll just sum up what he said here:

-Season six is Adam's favorite season, followed by season five. "8-Bit Goldbergs" is his favorite episode of the series. 

-After season six, Sony didn't step up in a real way and Disney did. The show was getting more expensive to produce and Disney was willing to take on the costs. The show is made with a cheaper budget now, which the network loves.

-Despite stepping down as showrunner, Adam was still interested in contributing episode ideas based on real-life events. The writers and producers weren't interested and wanted to make their own version of the show without his input.

-Adam notices the beating that The Goldbergs is taking in terms of public reception and says that it's painful for his family. He made it clear that he was never going to talk about the show, but had to address it because it's frustrating for him to hear people demand that he fix a show he's had no creative involvement in for three years. 

-Adam wants the writers to make an episode about Murray's death, but doesn't see it happening (implying that Murray most likely won't get killed off next season).

-Adam hopes that he is welcomed back to the show eventually. It looks like ABC/Sony forced him out for financial reasons and would rather the show continue without him having anything to do with it.

What they've done to the show in the name of cheapness is ruin it for most of its loyal viewers & by the time they realize what they've done it will be way too late to get them back.

• Love 5
On 5/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, Neiman said:

The scene with Murray was ridiculous.  Adam has time to leave a Madonna concert in downtown Philly to go home and seek Barry's advice and then return in time for the concert?

Love Madonna's music from the 80s ❤️

I noticed that too and wondered wtf, did the scene get out of order???  Didn't make sense. 

• Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I was the one who posted that on the subreddit. You may know me as SuperDescription169. You’re welcome? I was surprised he seems to want Murray killed off. I thought he would want the show to stick to exactly what happened in the 80s. (Pops was different as he died in real life). Or maybe he just wants the show to break from nonfiction and kill him now instead of flashing forward to 2008. Either way I thought he would be dead set against killing him off. If they don’t kill him off they need to recast. CGI was fine for this season but now they need to figure something else out. And they better not divorce.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

The series could have ended on a high note if it ended tonight. It was the perfect wrap-up of the various threads. 

Except with 

Spoiler

Erica going on tour with Cindy Lauper instead of getting prego. No point in knocking Erica up if the series had ended tonight.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 6
(edited)

Ginzy and Essie did some heavy lifting for comedy in the supporting roles and I liked their interactions with Barry. But a show that actually cared would have found a way to get Chad Kremp and Muscles Mersky, if not some of the other smaller William Penn students, for the main character's graduation.

After more than 200 episodes, and 9 seasons a show set in a decade needs to look for a way to wind down next year. I've said it before, but bring back Adam F. Goldberg to show run a 13 episode season. You've dumped Garlin's salary so that will free up some budget. Deal with the Death of Murray early in the season and wrap up everyone else's story. Take a cue from That 70s Show, and your finale is New Year's Eve 1989. Adam can remember that specific date because something big happens in his life.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

Against my will, “chugga-chugga-schmoo-schmoo” made me laugh right out loud.

It must have been the onion soup mix I was using while making meatballs, because I suddenly had a tear in my when Adam mentioned Pops. Still miss George SO MUCH.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Whenever Erica does her puke face, I feel like I'm the one who's going to be sick.  

Love the references to Cyndi Lauper, but find the "Erica pursuing a music career" plot rather stale.  

• Love 1

When Ginzy mentioned Chad I was like oh yeah, didn't he and Adam used to be friends? Remember when Adam had friends? Remember when their school was populated by characters and not just background actors? Remember when the show used to be fun?

And don't get me started on the wierd Murray inserts. I swear the scene where he was asleep in the chair was just a photo of him. 

Pops added a lot of heart to the show. Murray added a counter balance to Bev. Now its just crazy Bev stories all the time.

I also miss Adam F Goldberg being a part of it. I liked the episodes ending with a comparison to his real life. Now it's just completely fantasy with no thread to real life.

I'm fairly confident rn that I won't be watching the 10th season but we'll see how I feel when fall rolls around. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Was "her manager/cousin" someone we should've known?

I checked the credits.  Her name is Laura Kightlinger.  Wikipedia says she was a writer on Will & Grace and 2 Broke Girls among other things.  Also known for dating Jack Black from 1996-2005.  Seems she was on Saturday Night Live (94-95) at the same time as Tim Meadows (1991-2000) - aka Mr. Glascott.

• Useful 1

The graduation scenes with Murray were so horribly done.  They zoom out and he's not in the crowd near the family.  They zoom in and he's there.  They zoom out again and he's not there.  His stand-in must not have been available for very long that day.

I understand time is limited, and Beverly made a comment, but I didn't like Erica's timing--sharing her baby news during the moment we've been waiting for the past few years (Adam FINALLY graduated), although it was the sort of thing to expect from a Goldberg.  Beverly probably went straight home to bedazzle some baby blankets, bibs, etc.  She will spoil that little schmoopy rotten.  

• Love 5

This really did feel like a series finale, you have Adam graduating, Erica having a baby, call backs to the first episode, I really wish they would just end this show on a relative high note. The only way I would want this show back is if they brought the real Adam back to do a short finale season. This would be a decent finale, even if it would have been nice to see more of the supporting cast, it would have been alright. 

The reference to Pops got me like it does every time. The show just isn't the same without George. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 5/13/2022 at 3:21 AM, Jediknight said:

Yeah, I'm tapping out after this season.

The supporting characters like Murray's friends, the JTP, and Mr Glascott are all good, but that's it.  They should do what The Simpsons has done, which has breathed new life into it, a lot of episodes now focus on a supporting character in Springfield.

Yep yep and I think this is the general consensus I've read and heard almost everywhere. There are many moments where I find myself not fully immerse in a episode and I think to myself "well, might as well see it till the end of the season"  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1