Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

nelroy78
  • Start Topic

At least we were spared the weekly formula of Bev acting like a crazy person and completely overstepping normal parental boundaries, giving an over the top speech dripping with self pity about how she was just showing her love and then recipient of the humiliating behavior from Bev winds up apologizing to her.  I'm so embarrassed that I still watch this show from time to time. 

• Love 3

Based on what we’ve seen so far, it’s odd they left Murray out of Valentine’s Day. They need to just go ahead and have the character leave the show instead of randomly have him here or there or absent.

Since real Brea B. and real Adam didn’t last long as a couple, and they went to different schools, I don’t see why they feel the need to drag on this relationship. Let them part as friends, as they did in real life, and allow Adam to grow. That actress playing Brea B. must have a great contract that requires them to keep her on. I’ve been over that relationship for some time now.

Thank you for giving us an Erica story that doesn’t go on and on about her upcoming wedding or her music.

• Love 2
On 2/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, Traveller519 said:

Man, this episode had some wild ups and downs. Barry and Erica were fantastic, both in their interactions with the Schwartzes and their Valentine's Date. I also enjoyed Adam's "He's out of gas, he's not used to going that long... on the highway"

But hoo boy the rest. The JTP laziness felt real, Dave Kim's horrific wig, and the whole notion of Adam and Brea getting back together again is just so bad. I appreciate the struggles with the behind the scenes drama, but maybe that's the queue it's time to end it.

Cue not queue but yeah I agree. 

It would make so much sense to end it when Adam graduates but they'll probably limp it along for one year of college before realizing they stayed past their sell by date.

It seems Barry and Erica are old enough that they should've grown out of their fighting with each other phase but... I did find the Schwartz's overly affectionate ways a little off putting tho.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Cue not queue but yeah I agree. 

It would make so much sense to end it when Adam graduates but they'll probably limp it along for one year of college before realizing they stayed past their sell by date.

It seems Barry and Erica are old enough that they should've grown out of their fighting with each other phase but... I did find the Schwartz's overly affectionate ways a little off putting tho.

What I suspect will happen is ABC has Adam F. Goldberg come back to show run a 13 episode final season. This lets them set up the time slot for a midseason replacement and run a whole campaign around "The Final Season" following a 10 season run.

They'll do the "Death of Murray" and, send Barry off to Med School, Erica and Geoff off to their next chapters, a bit of Adam getting ready for Film School, and End the 80s

• Love 5

I may have mentioned I stopped watching after last season. I was hate watching since Erica went to college with that awful Valley Girl Erica, but I couldn’t watch after George died.

I’ll read this thread occasionally, and it sounds like the same crap-on-toast. Everyone from network exec-to-cast-to-crew should be embarrassed. Sometimes a paycheck isn’t enough, you know? Imagine having this on your resume: The Goldbergs S1-3: cool. The Goldbergs S9: no one else would hire you? The worst would have to be “the dumbass who green lit S9.” That person should never work in entertainment again.

But now I kinda hope it gets a S10. How desperate is ABC for content that they have nothing — absolutely nothing — they think can get better ratings? As expensive as this show has to be now, they have nothing?? Many, many people need to be fired if they have nothing with higher expectations or at least a better P&L.

• Love 3

Ugh I see there is an upcoming episode featuring Erica and Geoff's wedding.  Is there anyone who thinks they are a good couple or who is rooting for them?  A much as I find Barry annoying,  I think he and Geoff's sister to be a better couple. 

• Love 1

Why anyone would want to hang out with the Goldbergs is beyond me, they all just seem so stressful to have to deal with. I just couldn't deal with their constant swings between their overblown selfishness and ego and their "I was only a huge dick because I'm sad" half assed apologies that follow their meltdowns. I just feel embarrassed watching them carry on.

Thank god we at least have the JTP, who can still get a few laughs out of me. Barry is at his best with them to comment on his ridiculousness. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Why anyone would want to hang out with the Goldbergs is beyond me, they all just seem so stressful to have to deal with.

Can you imagine?  Someone stabs you in the back one week, apologizes after much drama, and then repeats the whole thing the next week over something else.  

Barry apparently doesn't fall far from the Beverly tree, with his insensitive behavior, followed by the inevitable apology and forgiveness.

Interesting that Adam said that he and Brea are still hanging out together, she may show up in the show again after all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Can you imagine?  Someone stabs you in the back one week, apologizes after much drama, and then repeats the whole thing the next week over something else.  

Barry apparently doesn't fall far from the Beverly tree, with his insensitive behavior, followed by the inevitable apology and forgiveness.

Interesting that Adam said that he and Brea are still hanging out together, she may show up in the show again after all. 

I literally can't understand why any human being would root for this family.   And it seems the creator's mother is not that exaggerated.  I guess they think their special family is more important than everyone else's?  Who knows,  not a fan. 

• Love 6

The wedding has to be the series finale, right?  (I know I already asked that about Adam’s graduation but he seems to be more not in school this year than in so I’m not sure he’s still going).

The Adam Goldberg/Adam Goldberg jokes don’t hit as funny to me with Adam no longer being involved.  Although I will be amused if the other Adam gets wind of this weeks episode and seethes about it.

• Love 2

Barry was terrible. Once again. The actors in the jtp look like they're embarrassed to be a part of this. This ep made me realize how much I miss Laney. I hate that her spinoff show got canceled. 

Adam's graduation is probably gonna take a back seat to the wedding of the sister that stopped being entertaining a few seasons ago. 

9 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

I am really curious how they are going to handle the wedding with no Murray. As uninvolved a parent as he was/is, no way do I believe he wouldn’t walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day. 

Green screen and archive footage

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I'm glad you guys talked about Murray being missing, because I missed all the news about Jeff Garlin quitting the series.  They really need to wind this series down now, they've lost a  father and a grandfather, and they haven't explained the father's absence.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Adam Goldberg/Adam Goldberg jokes don’t hit as funny to me with Adam no longer being involved.  Although I will be amused if the other Adam gets wind of this weeks episode and seethes about it.

I never thought those jokes were funny and I can't believe they brought them back. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

The wedding has to be the series finale, right? 

Apparently not. Next week's episode is called "The Wedding" and it's the show's 200th episode. It's the 16th episode of the season, I believe we've got 5 or 6 more to go. 

• Love 1

The JTP was the best part along with seeing Erica's friends. I'm so ready for this wedding to happen and so tired of the multiple references to it. Barry's story was cringeworthy, but true to form as we've seen that story line many times in the past. 

No more Adam & Brea stories, please.

• Love 6
On 2/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, HelloooKitty said:

I am really curious how they are going to handle the wedding with no Murray. As uninvolved a parent as he was/is, no way do I believe he wouldn’t walk his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day. 

So the answer was: scenes of Murray with nobody else in the same shot and a stand-in whose face they kept off-camera.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, paulvdb said:

So the answer was: scenes of Murray with nobody else in the same shot and a stand-in whose face they kept off-camera.

How awkward and ignominious.  
Richard Marx was enjoyable, definitely the highlight of the episode.

But have the writers ever been outside of California?  No one plans outdoor wedding  in March in Philadelphia.  
I miss Pops!

• Love 12
(edited)

Lol, that one brief shot of Murray at the wedding looked like he was a Force ghost like Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of Return of the Jedi. 

FM76QnEVcAEEGX0.jpg

Edited by Phishbulb
Edited to add the picture
  • Like 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4

So I guess this is how they plan on still using Murray, awkward ADR and turning Murray into a force ghost! I think the universe itself is telling the people behind this show to wrap it up.

The wedding itself was quite nice, although if Geoff really sure he wants to marry into this hot mess of a family? How many of these "acts like a massive dick then gives half assed excuse" does he really want to sit through? There wasn't even any Lainie or JTP to keep my interest, and while there were a few funny lines, I was mostly just disappointed (but not surprised) that what should be a big deal feels so lame.

• Love 3

Wow, that stuff with Murray was just way too distracting.  At this point, if Jeff Garlin is such a pariah, why would they still be wanting to use his image?  Seems like they should either keep the actor or exclude him altogether. 

And of course, we couldn't have the wedding without Beverly making it all about herself.

• Love 9
On 3/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, Phishbulb said:

Lol, that one brief shot of Murray at the wedding looked like he was a Force ghost like Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of Return of the Jedi. 

FM76QnEVcAEEGX0.jpg

It's fitting that Murray now looks like a ghost in his edited appearances, because the entire show is just a shadow of what it once was.  Pop pop was ultimately the only character anyone could really root for on this show, and watching these awful people rehash the same awful plots is painful.

• Love 4

I was joking last week when I said Murray would be in the wedding episode with green screen and archive footage. This looked really weird. Did Adam shoot it on his VHS camcorder and use 80s era chroma key?

Oh guess what? Bev made the wedding all about her and Erica and Geoff had figure out how to deal. No one saw that coming. 

I feel like I'm hate watching now and I don't wanna be that person. 

• Love 7

There was a good concept for a story there. A whole episode of Adam and Barry getting Erica prepped for her wedding via valuable sibling time and then not showing the wedding (leaving her with words of encouragement before she opens the door to leave, maybe with a "Hi Dad") would have been a clever way to save this. But because this is TV, they have to show the wedding, and everything about it is awkwardly done. I could almost here the editor going "Do you think they'll notice?"

I'm struggling to recall what I once liked about this show

• Love 5

We watched the first two episodes of this season and determined we were done. I saw that this last week was the wedding and I wanted to see it after reading the comments here. This show is beyond awful. I've watched a lot of TV shows and I think this one went down hill the fastest.

The whole Murray thing is beyond ridiculous. It looks horrilbe(see screenshot above). The real Murray died at age 67, so there is no way they could write in his death at this point to get rid of the ghost thing and charatcter all together.

Not any of the JTP could find a way to their house to be part of the wedding. They couldn't have come over before the snow hit? 

I would've hoped that there would've been a little speech from Erica mentioning Pops, but nothing.

Richard Marx had the only funny lines of the show and was the best part of the show(Loved him in the 80's).

The writers have to know this show can't go on. Having every single story be about over the top Bev and everything about her, is beyond old.

I still follow Wendi(plays Bev)on Twitter because I want to see her reaction when the day finally comes this train wreck gets canceled. It amazes me how everyone comments to her how great this show is and how funny Bev is and how much they love it. I question what show they are actually watching because this show hasn't been funny in years.

When this show gets the ax, I will watch the last episode. Until then, I'm offically done.

• Love 3
On 3/7/2022 at 2:18 PM, Madtown said:

Richard Marx had the only funny lines of the show and was the best part of the show(Loved him in the 80's).

True, although I did actually enjoy the scene with Erica, Barry and Adam at the spa.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 3/4/2022 at 1:29 PM, HyeChaps said:

Yes, this is a comedy, but for the love of whatever, there was not one crumb of reality in this story. 

I just realized:  This isn't a sitcom, it's a cartoon.

• Love 2

Somehow I found Beverly not awful in this episode.  I mean, still cartoonish and smothering at the beginning, but there were glimpses of how she could've been fun later on.  I'd go to that party.

Also, the JTP rules.  Even though Barry's idea was stupid, I really enjoyed that plot and laughed several times.  Seriously, maybe someone SHOULD check on Naked Rob.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Somehow I found Beverly not awful in this episode.  I mean, still cartoonish and smothering at the beginning, but there were glimpses of how she could've been fun later on.  I'd go to that party.

Also, the JTP rules.  Even though Barry's idea was stupid, I really enjoyed that plot and laughed several times.  Seriously, maybe someone SHOULD check on Naked Rob.

I somehow missed the wedding episode, I was startled to see Erica going on her honeymoon. I'd go back and watch, but eh...it's all background noise anyway.

Who is the little guy in JTP? I can't remember his name, but he was actually good at the boy band moves, lol. Matt Bradley getting a bit beefy and starting to look his age, which worked for this gag, but Barry is strangely ageless.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Who is the little guy in JTP? I can't remember his name, but he was actually good at the boy band moves, lol. Matt Bradley getting a bit beefy and starting to look his age, which worked for this gag, but Barry is strangely ageless.

Andy

• Love 1

Bev was actually fun. I could hang with that Beverly in the city. Adam was being a wuss.

Loved the JTP storyline. From the pedo sounding name of the band to the inappropriate lyrics of Age Appropriate, I laughed several times. 

• Like 1
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Does it look like we'll see more future episodes with Mama coming into the city to visit Geoff and Erica ? 

Sure, it has to be better than her staying around the house so we wonder where Murray is.

• Useful 1

I’m just now finishing the wedding episode. So glad that’s over! I guess my favorite part was when Bev and Richard Marx complimented each other’s hair. Sort of funny and signaled it was finally over. So many lows, but I guess the worst for me was when Bev and Erica used their powers to change the weather. 🙄 Agree with all who posted they need to write Murray out for good.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Murray at a furniture convention?  Really?

They’ll convene over anything!

I was disappointed that they had to put up the Joey McIntyre chyron at the end.  Wish they would have left it for those who knew without spelling it out.  His disdain for his brother and the JTP was very funny though.

The JTP was awesome all the way through and the ep came to a screeching halt whenever Adam appeared, which is so sad considering who the impetus for this show is supposed to be.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Murray at a furniture convention?  Really?

Maybe he'll be unfaithful at the convention, he and Bev will divorce, and Murray will never be seen or heard from again.  :)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe he'll be unfaithful at the convention, he and Bev will divorce, and Murray will never be seen or heard from again.  :)

Hahha. He  should fake his own death to escape from nutcase Beverly.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

That was a shockingly good episode, it almost felt like the old classic Goldburgs. Of course I shouldn't be surprised, the JTP is always the best part of any episode where they appear. Their goofy dancing and inappropriate lyrics were hilarious. I even liked Bev in this one, she does actually seem like she would be fun to hang with in the big city. 

"I'm gonna go. There are, like, murderers and stuff." 

• Love 2