Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

nelroy78
  • Start Topic

Since no one started it I guess I will. This forum must be dead. Last night was the season premiere and it was the tribute episode to George Segal (Pops). They didn’t get a chance to do this last season because he died literally while they were shooting the Season 8 finale. He was only going to be out for surgery but died from complications. But last night they acknowledged his death, Bill and Ted style. I thought it was very well done. Everyone was taking it hard and even if the last wishes letter was fake, Murray had nothing but the best of intentions. It would be hard for anyone to deal with.

As for the season Geoff and Erica will be getting married and wedding planning will be starting very soon and Adam will be getting another senior year. It’s going to be a big one but also a sad one. It isn’t going to be the same without Pops.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 18

This show and namely Adam's antics have been grating on my nerves, but I never give up on a one time favorite show so I watch it in the background.  That changed when Beverly started singing.  I totally lost it when she launched into "Papa Was A Rolling Stone".  

Hilarious! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

As lovely as that tribute episode was, I don't think I'm going to watch anymore of this season.  The thought of having to get through an entire season of Beverly butting in and taking over Erica and Geoff's wedding planning makes my skin crawl.  So goodbye, Goldbergs!  It was fun for, I don't know, four seasons?  

• Love 10

I agree this show is past its expiration date, but I thought it was a decent opening episode.  The tribute to George Segal was nice, although I was annoyed that they tied it to "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".  I thought the explanation that Erica didn't want to talk about the wedding because her grandfather wouldn't be there was especially touching.  

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Jediknight said:

That was a really heartwarming tribute to George Segal.

Definitely, and I'm glad that they made it all about the character/actor, without mixing in stuff about the real Pops. And I'm glad there was a time jump. It would have been way too sad to see them go through the death and funeral.

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I was annoyed that they tied it to "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".

I didn't mind the idea of it, but one of my biggest pet peeves about this show is that they are always SO on the nose with their 80s references, rather than using them as a jumping off point to show a similar idea. I mean, Adam literally said, "we're gathering important people together, just like Bill and Ted did!" Yeah Adam, we know. We're not idiots.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I didn't mind the idea of it, but one of my biggest pet peeves about this show is that they are always SO on the nose with their 80s references

To be fair, I'm always annoyed by the movie tie-ins.  I think it's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen, but they use it as a staple of the show.  I really didn't need to see it as part of a mourning and tribute.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, rmontro said:

I agree this show is past its expiration date, but I thought it was a decent opening episode.  The tribute to George Segal was nice, although I was annoyed that they tied it to "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".  I thought the explanation that Erica didn't want to talk about the wedding because her grandfather wouldn't be there was especially touching.  

I liked the tribute to George Segal, but was distracted by the appearance of some of the other actors.

Looks like Murray dropped some weight in the off season and Erica's wig was terrible and distracting. So I spent much of the episode wondering what other projects those actors were up to that would explain the difference in looks. 

• Love 3

These episodes structured around a certain movie can be a bit of a bummer when I don't know it.  I can tell when they're riffing on something, but when I don't know what that is, it feels vaguely alienating.

Of course they won't please everyone all the time.  It's probably a good bet that most people who choose to watch this show pitched as a loving tribute to the 80s have seen "Bill and Ted."  I just haven't.  Oh well.

Otherwise, I thought it was a nice tribute to George Segal and to Pops.  It was consistent with the tone of the show, I thought, yet elevated somehow.  I think wedding planning will be tedious, but for now, not much to criticize.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

These episodes structured around a certain movie can be a bit of a bummer when I don't know it.  I can tell when they're riffing on something, but when I don't know what that is, it feels vaguely alienating.

I get that. I tend to prefer the "Easter egg" method, when a show uses winks and nods to the source material so that people who know the references can get some extra laughs, but those who don't know can still enjoy it without feeling left out. The Goldbergs, however, tend to use the "beat you over the head" method, in which they tell you directly which movie they are riffing, use tons of actual quotes, and have the cast act out exact scenes in the exact same costumes. It's definitely lazier, and can feel alienating.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I think the wig  just adds to the loud, outrageous personality of  Beverley Goldberg, along with all the loud, crazy clothes she wears,lol. Always love the 3 friends who show up to receive their brow beatings. 

I know, but it is definitely distracting!

• Love 2

That was a sweet tribute to George Segal and Pops. He was often the highlight of any given episode, especially in the last few seasons, he will be greatly missed. While I thought tying it into Bill and Ted was pretty lame, I do think that Pops would have apricated the life philosophy of being excellent to each other and partying on. 

• Love 4

Thought "Horse Play" was a pretty decent episode.  Nice to see Andrea Savage as "Dean Martin" lol, very funny.  Even though the whole Adam storyline was tolerable at best.  

The part with Dr. Lou Schwartz making up with Erica was kind of sweet, with the somewhat twisted classic "She's taking my little boy away from me" plot.  Joanne finally stepped up to take responsibility, and Geoff finally stands up to his father about her.  I was like yeah, go Geoff.

• Love 8

Well, Adam has officially become my least favorite Goldberg. Between constantly harassing the dean and throwing Brea under the bus, his entitled spoiled brat attitude has reached new heights. I loved when Dean Martin called him out regarding all the "challenges" he's gone through (even though I hated that the application process was so openly a sob story competition). Rather than trying to underplay his privileged upbringing or using cheesy gimmicks, I would have liked to see him pivot and focus on his passion for and knowledge of filmmaking. That would have been more satisfying than yet another "oh, your mom is nuts, I'll help you out" ending.

In contrast, Erica, Geoff, and even Barry seem to be maturing and I enjoyed their storyline.

Bev's wig still looks weird. It looks like it's only half styled.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Dean Martin was a character in the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School", from 1986.  Looks like this show could have used it as one of its tributes.

Or maybe they just stole it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Adam and Beverley were next level annoying this episode, Adam with his ridiculous sense of entitlement and being a huge jerk to Brea, and Beverley reaching whole new levels of creepy in her obsession with sticking to her son like glue. You know things are bad when Barry looks like one of the more mature members of their family. I did enjoy Dean Martin (rimshot) basically calling out Adam's utterly lame attempts at struggling, although I wish that it hadn't ended with him getting closer to getting in because Beverley is so nuts. I would have liked them to tie it into Pop's recent death and maybe have Adam talk about how much making movies with Pops meant to him, combine the sad story and the story about actual filmmaking. 

At least Murray gave us a few good lines. "Your societies problem now!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 9/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, Snapdragon said:

As lovely as that tribute episode was, I don't think I'm going to watch anymore of this season.  The thought of having to get through an entire season of Beverly butting in and taking over Erica and Geoff's wedding planning makes my skin crawl.  So goodbye, Goldbergs!  It was fun for, I don't know, four seasons?  

I agree, the tribute was pretty good. Accordig to Hayley Orrantia(Erica), the whole diner scene was very hard to do. They real cried through most of it. I also agree, that we just can't watch anymore. After the second episode this season, I asked my husband how a show that was so good for 5 seasons,  just turned to crap? It's awful. I truly think if George Segal hadn't died, last year would've been the last season.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, letter8358 said:

I could not help, but noticed Erica's hideous wig or hairdo...Looks like some hairstylist hates her guts. And she such an attractive person and they settled with a 60s wig?!?

That is Hayley's real hair. She said on Twitter that she needed a new style. I don't know why this show never gave her "80's" hair. They could've done so much with it since it's long. They missed the boat on that one.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:45 PM, tennisgurl said:

Adam and Beverley were next level annoying this episode, Adam with his ridiculous sense of entitlement and being a huge jerk to Brea, and Beverley reaching whole new levels of creepy in her obsession with sticking to her son like glue.

They have been annoying for awhile. Starting in Season 7. We watch an episode every night before bed on Hulu. We only watch through Season 5 and then start over. The first 5 seasons are so funny. Season 6 is ok, we have pick and  choose which ones we want to watch if we choose to watch any from that season.

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I haven’t watched this week’s ep yet so I am not entirely sure of the context of this tweet, but sounds like Mama G isn’t happy about the stories Adam is no longer writing.

Yes, she was not happy. She replied to a lot of people and had some interesting things to say. She said that Adam has offered the writers stories and they didn't want them. Someone commented how bad TV Adam treats Brea. Bev said the Adam was never liked that. He met his wife in 11th grade and they are still together. She said the other girls mentioned over the years, like Brea were just friends. She said she knows this show isn't a documentary, but it is based loosely on their family.

She had this to say as well...

beverly goldberg

@goldilocks405

Sep 30

For the life of me I can’t understand their thinking. If you wanna do a different show then do your own show. Come up with your own ideas and characters and stories. But if you took this one and our family stories and stick to truism as close as you can.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2021 at 5:00 AM, mojoween said:

I haven’t watched this week’s ep yet so I am not entirely sure of the context of this tweet, but sounds like Mama G isn’t happy about the stories Adam is no longer writing.

Just stifle it Mrs. Entitled Goldberg! You are making a shit load of money off this show. How about the fact that there is no Erica? Wah, wah,  Wah.  Such problems. Go play in your castle. 
Reading more about the real people had ruined this show for me.  Not to mention it is past it’s prime. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
On 10/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, Madtown said:

For the life of me I can’t understand their thinking. If you wanna do a different show then do your own show. Come up with your own ideas and characters and stories. But if you took this one and our family stories and stick to truism as close as you can.

I think they crossed that line at the beginning with including Erica.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, lh25 said:

I think they crossed that line at the beginning with including Erica.

And don’t forget the fact that these people were upper upper middle class not as they are being portrayed on TV, just a lot of false hoods. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, chediavolo said:

And don’t forget the fact that these people were upper upper middle class not as they are being portrayed on TV, just a lot of false hoods. 

And Adam is the creator of the show and a writer on it as well.  Honestly, this feels like an example of the s'mothering they show on the show.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, lh25 said:

And Adam is the creator of the show and a writer on it as well.  Honestly, this feels like an example of the s'mothering they show on the show.

Beverly sounds like a horrible & INSUFFERABLE  person in real life. I don’t know about the kids. But I like that the sitcom is not completely true because the real family does not sound like anyone I would  want to know

• Love 6
On 10/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, chediavolo said:

They aren't living in as nice a house as in real life, but you can definitely see the entitlement in the attitudes.  They act like they run the town and everyone should bow to them.  

I can't figure out how Beverly got into NYU when Adam didn't.  And if that's what happened in real life (I doubt it).  And if she will actually go there on the TV show.

• Love 2
On 10/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, Madtown said:

She had this to say as well...

beverly goldberg

@goldilocks405

Sep 30

Hey Bev: Truism. You use this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.  (“Verisimilitude” is a lot closer to what she meant.)

I have to say, in this episode Adam became even more obnoxious than Beverly. Dean Martin should’ve tossed him out on his pushy, entitled butt.

• Love 4
On 10/1/2021 at 5:00 AM, mojoween said:

Mama G should learn that this isn't a freaking documentary.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mama G should learn that this isn't a freaking documentary.

In Mama G's defense, if they're wait-listing Adam in order to set up some drama and suspense, they needn't bother - because I don't care if or where he goes to school.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

In Mama G's defense, if they're wait-listing Adam in order to set up some drama and suspense, they needn't bother - because I don't care if or where he goes to school.

Me neither.  Adam is the least-interesting character on the show.

• Love 4

It's funny because most of the real people that Adam portrayed in a less flattering way seem to have good humor about it, but Bev is upset about Adam getting a wait listed story that's clearly just sitcom 101 to keep the show's main cast together.

• Love 3
On 10/3/2021 at 8:02 AM, chediavolo said:

Just stifle it Mrs. Entitled Goldberg! You are making a shit load of money off this show. How about the fact that there is no Erica? Wah, wah,  Wah.  Such problems. Go play in your castle. 
Reading more about the real people had ruined this show for me.  Not to mention it is past it’s prime. 

I thought it was a parody account. 😲 This is actually real?????

Beverly was the worst in this over the wedding 

• Love 3
On 10/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, Madtown said:

I could not help, but noticed Erica's hideous wig or hairdo...Looks like some hairstylist hates her guts. And she such an attractive person and they settled with a 60s wig?!?

That is Hayley's real hair. She said on Twitter that she needed a new style. I don't know why this show never gave her "80's" hair. They could've done so much with it since it's long. They missed the boat on that one.

Ugh, she STILL needs a new style then, this awkward "cut my own bangs with safety scissors" look isn't it. It highlights her worst features. 

Agreed that there was potential for some major Aquanet, spiral perm 80s hair, it seems like a character like Erica would have been trendier with the hair, she was a popular girl in HS.

Adam and Beverley were next level annoying this episode, Adam with his ridiculous sense of entitlement and being a huge jerk to Brea, and Beverley reaching whole new levels of creepy in her obsession with sticking to her son like glue. You know things are bad when Barry looks like one of the more mature members of their family. 

At this point, Barry is the one character who truly makes me laugh. His complete nonsense muttered in that deadpan delivery makes it extra funny to me. And his more over-the-top behavior seems to have been scaled back, I guess they needed more room for Adam and Beverly to be even more obnoxious.

I used to find Erica really funny, but her more recent storylines have been a bit drippy.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

It's funny because most of the real people that Adam portrayed in a less flattering way seem to have good humor about it, but Bev is upset about Adam getting a wait listed story that's clearly just sitcom 101 to keep the show's main cast together.

How is it going to keep the family together if Adam is sitting home and Beverly is attending NYU?

13 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I thought it was a parody account. 😲 This is actually real?????

Now we know what the character is based on.

• Love 1

I did like Glascott's description of his harrowing waterslide experience. He really painted a picture with his words. But I don't get why they did this storyline now- who's going to waterparks in October in Pennsylvania? I thought those places closed for the season on Labor Day weekend (they do in my area, I think).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Have you all seen the documentary about the water park this episode was based on? It's amazing. 

2 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I did like Glascott's description of his harrowing waterslide experience. He really painted a picture with his words. But I don't get why they did this storyline now- who's going to waterparks in October in Pennsylvania? I thought those places closed for the season on Labor Day weekend (they do in my area, I think).

I think it's because the water park was back in the news again over the summer. 

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

How is it going to keep the family together if Adam is sitting home and Beverly is attending NYU?

Now we know what the character is based on.

Bev only got in to NYU to follow Adam, she won't go without him

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Bev only got in to NYU to follow Adam, she won't go without him

I'm sure that's true, but that damn sure makes her a lousy choice for NYU.  Were they trying to satisfy some sort of ageist quota by letting her in?  The idea just seems absurd to me.  Not that an older person would want to get higher education, that happens all the time.  But their reasons are usually career oriented, not just to follow their sons.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Have you all seen the documentary about the water park this episode was based on? It's amazing. 

I think it's because the water park was back in the news again over the summer. 

It was amazing and so fun to watch for the first 3/4s and then took a hard left into very sad when they had the family of one (out of several) person who died there. That section made me feel bad for enjoying the earlier bits because the atmosphere and the owner's actions were 100% responsible for the tragedy. The JTP's interview series seemed to be a direct parody of the documentary.

I grew up within range of "Traction Park" but I have no memory of ever going there. We had Dorney in our backyard and Sesame Place an hour away, so guess we didn't need to travel to NJ for our amusement parks.

As for why they did this storyline now, I agree that they were probably inspired by the news stories, but seems like an episode they could have done a few weeks ago or maybe held until spring. October is a weird time to be talking about water parks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/4/2021 at 11:51 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Hey Bev: Truism. You use this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.  (“Verisimilitude” is a lot closer to what she meant.)

I have to say, in this episode Adam became even more obnoxious than Beverly. Dean Martin should’ve tossed him out on his pushy, entitled butt.

Edited by KayVeeTeeVee