Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: You Came to Play!

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

On 9/25/2021 at 9:43 AM, StellaCL said:

A few weeks ago Jerry Jones came out strongly in support of the vaccine mandate for the NFL in a radio interview. I am sure that would make Kelli and MTT producers do an about face and what has happened here with Klein’s placement and Natalie getting any air time this season.

Jerry's stated beliefs and his actual beliefs might very well be different. Just a thought.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I'd like to see more of the tall Black candidate with the short curly hair. She's striking but I don't know if she can dance DCC.

Ashley W, I really like her look and hope we get to see more of her to know more about her.  She was shown briefly. Judy's critique said "Ashley has so many cute moments, then she gets stiff"  Its early yet, time to get more comfortable with the style

Edited by Mardo2044
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Not me. She's still one of my favorites and I don't care what's on her IG. People are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.

Agreed that people are entitled to their own opinions/beliefs.  For me, pretty much my opinions are the opposite of 99% of her content. Just like she'd have no use for my content. I don't hate her I just don't have any use for her or feel like wasting my energy on her. 

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Ava's is performing for the camera, with an eye toward her future. K&J can spot that a mile away. Still, if Charlotte likes her, Ava will stay.

That's so interesting a take.  I find her responses to be vacant and lack engagement.  Maybe her dancing is stronger, I don't remember

• Love 1
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I don't hate Melissa Rycroft, but I don't see her value. Maybe she's more valuable behind the scenes.

I actually thought her tip this episode about how to get the curvy-walk-hips-thing made sense. Like that's the kind of feedback/instruction these ladies need. Things like "more power" or whatever are just so vague. 

• Love 21
On 9/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, Mardo2044 said:

sorry I meant to ask how many "available spots" are there typically assuming all Vets get to keep their position.  Has it been as few as 8 before?

Not sure if you're referring to the start of Auditions or the start of Training Camp?

Both Sn 14 & Sn 15 started Auditions with only 8 spots:

Retirees at Sn 14 auditions:  Lacey, Kashara, Jessika, Kelli, Khalyn, Tasha, Yuko & Lauren.  Gabby was cut at Finals, so training camp started with 9 spots.

Retirees at Sn 15 auditions:  Amy, Heather, Alexis, Christina, Miranda, Molly, Bridget & Taylor P.  Brennan, Hannah, Lily & Meredith were cut during training camp, so there ended up being 12 spots.

Also, Sn 14 is when they took 37 instead of 36 (Lily & Meredith on the final day) so, it's debatable if there were 7 or 8 spots for Sn 15 auditions...

Sn 14 aud--retirees, gabby cut.jpg

Sn 15 aud--retireed, 4 vet cuts.jpg

Edited by ClassicPegg
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Does anyone think the rookies last season came in knowing the dances better than these rookies? Maybe because there are more rookies this season it stands out more? 
one of the groups was a complete mess on the DCC routines.

• Love 3

Finally watched the episode and I was completely underwhelmed by most of the TCCs. I don't know if like someone said above, there's just so many of them, but I only really noticed Mel, Lea, Tyra and KayDianna in a good way. All the blondes look identical to me right now. 

Also, anyone else sick of hearing Madeline say whenever they get a hip hop choreographer in, it's out of her comfort zone? In this episode, she looks worse than I've ever seen her before in that style! I'd have probably cut her last year tbh because her memory is still bad. They just didn't call her out but you can see her mistakes on screen.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, rose711 said:

Does anyone think the rookies last season came in knowing the dances better than these rookies? Maybe because there are more rookies this season it stands out more? 
one of the groups was a complete mess on the DCC routines.

It could be multiple factors. The TCC last year may have had more videos and time to prepare at home. And perhaps its more to do with editing and format as well. Last year was an extremely compressed training camp. The rookies had a 7 day intensive prior to the vets even arriving and then all the cuts came within that two week period. Quick eval.

This year, they are focusing on a more traditional evening practice schedule, over many, many weeks.

So last year we could have seen the ends of that heavy training period which looked more polished compared to the beginnings of this one. Also, the narrative of the season will help draw your eyes to where they want you to go. So even if some TCC were messing up - they may not have shown it last year. 

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Sunnykm said:

Probably gonna need a flame retardant suit for saying this…Armani is over weight.   She is a wonderful dancer but that belly looks like mine and that’s not a good thing. 

Maybe Kelli decided on her own or with feedback from others to quit calling out their figures/body shaming on national TV and speak of any concerns to the women privately. One can only hope. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Sunnykm said:

Probably gonna need a flame retardant suit for saying this…Armani is over weight.   She is a wonderful dancer but that belly looks like mine and that’s not a good thing. 

I too noticed, she WAS DCC heavy during the judge's showcase.  However, if you look at the video recently posted of them on the field she back in uniform shape.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Natalie's house with a wing for a TCC seems great in that Kleine will have some privacy as will Natalie's family.  It is generous to open up your home to a TCC and Natalie should be applauded.  She also did this for Yuko.  I believe people's home reflects what they want and we have no clue her fiancé's.  good for her if she wants a big house.  Whatever Natalie believes is her opinion and she's entitled to it.

I hope other alumni opened up their home and they show that also.  

as to the 4 rookies cut, I could clearly see why and no cut upset me.  there are several others that are still a mess.  Last years rookies were much better as a whole on the 17 routines sent to them.

I really like Armani and my sweetie is very much into womanly figures and he said she had   "jelly belly".  Hopefully training camp takes some of it off.  

Amanda and Lexie scoring low seems as a surprise but we did not see either one's solo.  Lexie they might have expected more than what she gave in her solo as a 5 year vet and group leader.  

Madeline M's comment on hip hop was not going to win her any favors.  at least she tried to step it up.  It makes sense why she has never been on show group.

I like KayDiana, Kleine,  Tori, and Ashlin.  Tori and Ashlin my sweetie thought were the best in their group.

Hailey's face when one rookie said she was excited to talk to Kelli and Judy was priceless.  She had to take a minute to compose herself before she answered.  Walking people to their obvious cut has to be hard.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Lexusprincess said:

Hailey's face when one rookie said she was excited to talk to Kelli and Judy was priceless.  She had to take a minute to compose herself before she answered.

I caught that too and wondered if they fill Hayley in prior to bringing in the ladies.  My guess, considering who she is, would be yes.

• Love 3

You know what I like about this season? They're actually showing the dances, almost in full. Such an improvement over those seasons where there all we got were over-edited 2 or 3 counts at a time, with those gosh awful "whoosh!" sound effects with a random kick or hair flip.

Kylie is a cutie cutie! Fresh and adorable. She might need more punch in her dancing. But seriously, she could do Neutrogena commercials.

I loved the interaction between Kleine and Natalie Woods Stanyer. They both have bubbly, funny personalities. Natalie seems generous and nurturing toward the girls she hosts.

Oh my gosh, the look on Haley Anderson's face when the TCCs heading into the office were so excited to talk with Kelli and Judy. Haley's expression was like, "Uh huh..."

Haley's whisper: "Kelli wants to see you in her office." AHHH! 

Ok, Ashlinn might be growing on me a bit. Her dancing in this episode was spot on. She's so much stronger than last year.

Tori is really strong this year too. I wonder if the TCCs are going to be doing media training this season. I hope so. It's an important part of the job.

Erin, oh dear. Struggle bus.

I really liked Brittany Perry-Russell as a guest choreographer. I enjoyed her teaching style and was impressed with the feedback she gave to the girls and later about the girls during the meeting upstairs with Kelli and Judy.

Christina's pretty. She has a soft, flowy look. Hope she can start getting the dances!

Maybe it was the editing, but I didn't care for Marissa's facial expressions. She needs to soften that up.

I like Kelee's look as well as her dancing. Strong and glamorous, very classic.

I didn't disagree with any of those 4 cuts. Side note: Madisyn looks like a Nordic princess.

• Love 8
On 9/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, rose711 said:

Does anyone else feel that Ava has a bit of a smug attitude? I don’t think she grasps how badly she did going from the top to the bottom last episode. She seems to think it was a bit of a joke rather than being professional when Kelli called her out and asked what she had eaten. 

On 9/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, sugarplum said:

I keep trying to like Ava, but I just don't. I don't even like her dancing. She has very pretty lines in her own style, but with the guest choreo's dance, all I kept thinking was how s****** she looked. I keep trying to find something likable about her, but she just rubs me wrong. I wouldn't be upset if they cut her. And I totally agree, there was definitely something about her answer that was trying to be funny, but it came across opposite of the way she intended. It didn't do her any favors in my eyes.

I had an entirely different take. I think Ava was nervous to be around K&J and really didn't know what to say. She reminds me of a student that doesn't speak up in class, being quiet and saying little to draw less attention to herself. And a lot of that has to do with age, and what we are taught as we grow up, she's barely removed from high school being only 19.

I loved her dancing talents in her solo. She was absolutely stunning.  As far as DCC style - I think she could evolve quickly - maybe scale back trying to hit every single note with power and pop.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, StellaCL said:

I had an entirely different take. I think Ava was nervous to be around K&J and really didn't know what to say. She reminds me of a student that doesn't speak up in class, being quiet and saying little to draw less attention to herself. And a lot of that has to do with age, and what we are taught as we grow up, she's barely removed from high school being only 19.

I loved her dancing talents in her solo. She was absolutely stunning.  As far as DCC style - I think she could evolve quickly - maybe scale back trying to hit every single note with power and pop.  

She came across as nervous to me as well.  I feel like some of these ladies are so, so sheltered in their bubble and then they get to Kelli and Judy and are like WHOA WHAT?  They might have grown up in the same studio for years and grown used to a certain kind of critique and just aren't quite ready to pivot.

Plus cameras in their face and producers behind the scenes asking them questions or possibly leading them in one direction or another.

I really liked the snippets of her dancing we saw, but I wonder if she'll be one of those amazing dancers that earns a Barbie and just can't get this style fast enough.  I'm surprised some of the lyrical and/or ballet focused candidates haven't taken more hip hop just for the fun of it.  I'm all for serious music and graceful lines but FUN!  Have some FUN!  (You too, Madeline Malloy, bless your heart.  I like you sis but why are you acting so surprised?)

• Love 12
On 9/25/2021 at 5:31 AM, kalibean said:

And then one might make the mistake of looking up Natalie’s social media because one is curious about where her life went and what one might do for a living to be in that house. Yikes. Wish I hadn’t. 

I guess keeping the focus on Natalie is more about “hey look how successful our alumni are in their gorgeous houses,” but while TPTB might also share said values, they know they’re controversial and wouldn’t want a current DCC using their platform in the same way.  So it’s weird to me that she got so much focus instead of a quicker feature amongst others. 

Sooooooo why not feature other Dallas area alum too, spread the love around. The housing market has gone nuts for sure, but DFW is still the most reasonably priced of the major cities and a more modest house would have been okay on camera too. Sheesh. 

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. Natalie being a MMT producer makes so much sense now. (Maybe even why the last few seasons have gone downhill IMO). And yes this has everything to do with episode 2 because Natalie injected her own self into our viewing, her decisions and MTT editing, makes this fair game to comment. I think it is safe to say most of us watch for the team, not her. For being a DCC for only one year she has managed to highlight herself in 4 different seasons. Please be done now.

Edited by StellaCL
typo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
On 9/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, MrsEVH said:

Not me. She's still one of my favorites and I don't care what's on her IG. People are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.

Couldn't agree more and bravo to you for speaking up. 

I always liked Natalie and of course she was always memorable because of her name.  But somehow I thought she only danced one season.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Kelli is still the worst at cutting people:

• To all 4 who were cut, they walk in and she's Miss Merry Sunshine...'hi, how are you, how are you doing?'  Then 2 seconds later it's don't let the door hit you in the butt etc etc.
  • She tells one girl 'we don't need to see any more'.  How classless.  There's a thousand ways to say it better.
  • To another girl she gushes for 5 minutes about how pretty she is, then drops the bomb.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, JapMo said:

Couldn't agree more and bravo to you for speaking up. 

I always liked Natalie and of course she was always memorable because of her name.  But somehow I thought she only danced one season.  

She was on the squad for the 2007-08 season.  She auditioned in 2006 made TC  but was cut. Came back the next year and made it.

• Love 2

I feel like this season so far I haven't seen McKenzie at all - surprising seeing as she was ROTY! Also havent seen Darian at all, plus some of the rookie candidates like Jensen! I was surprised that Kya wasn't one of the first cuts she has a great look but is super off on the choreo. However, I do think some vets like Taylor and Madeline are being outdanced by rookie candidates, it seems to be a very strong year. 

• Love 5

Last yr I was a lot more into Tori than Ashlinn, but in the first dance of this episode Ashlinn had a lot more style than Tori. She absolutely nailed it, and with curves, sass and all. And I like her look a lot better this time around. 

3 hours ago, dccwannabe13 said:

I feel like this season so far I haven't seen McKenzie at all - surprising seeing as she was ROTY! Also havent seen Darian at all, plus some of the rookie candidates like Jensen! I was surprised that Kya wasn't one of the first cuts she has a great look but is super off on the choreo. However, I do think some vets like Taylor and Madeline are being outdanced by rookie candidates, it seems to be a very strong year. 

Darian was shown during part of BPR's choreo. It wasn't a flattering moment, but that choreo was odd. 

I thought the same about Jensen. I got her mixed up with Amanda for a bit then realized they didn't discuss her at all. 

49 minutes ago, PicnicLife77 said:

Last yr I was a lot more into Tori than Ashlinn, but in the first dance of this episode Ashlinn had a lot more style than Tori. She absolutely nailed it, and with curves, sass and all. And I like her look a lot better this time around. 

Darian was shown during part of BPR's choreo. It wasn't a flattering moment, but that choreo was odd. 

I thought the same about Jensen. I got her mixed up with Amanda for a bit then realized they didn't discuss her at all. 

I agree...

• Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 10:10 PM, DancerMom said:

i’ve heard Madeline say it’s out of my comfort zone pretty much anytime they have a hip-hop choreographer.  
Overall I thought it was kind of a boring episode and it seemed like they were more commercials than normal. 
Next week looks good because I love Evan Miller! 

Madeline just can't hide her vanilla sometimes. She looked almost as awkward as her rookie round of TC, but she rallied with grace, so good for her. But, yeah, I agree with others that she and Erin and Taylor all appear to be getting outperformed at the start of their 4th training camp.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:31 AM, Norby said:

[....] but like Kitty Carter’s hair, it was just not for me.

This is the most perfect polite way of saying you don't like something I ever could imagine, and I love it so much! It's like the sincerely sweet Southern version of "bless your heart," but DCC-specific!

On 9/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, Mardo2044 said:

sorry I meant to ask how many "available spots" are there typically assuming all Vets get to keep their position.  Has it been as few as 8 before?

I may be missing one or two rookies, but I think that Nicole Bulcher's rookie class only had 7 or 8 ladies in it: Nicole Bulcher, Ann Lux, Lauren Oliver, Sasha Agent, Kaitlin LeGrand, Stephanie Heyman, and Alyssa Sarisani. Season 6, I think?

On 9/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, sugarplum said:

I keep trying to like Ava, but I just don't. I don't even like her dancing. She has very pretty lines in her own style, but with the guest choreo's dance, all I kept thinking was how s****** she looked. I keep trying to find something likable about her, but she just rubs me wrong. I wouldn't be upset if they cut her. And I totally agree, there was definitely something about her answer that was trying to be funny, but it came across opposite of the way she intended. It didn't do her any favors in my eyes.

Episode 2 did not make me like Ava more. She felt so faux to me with her "is best solo good?" moment last episode, and she has yet to wow me on the field. She has some good moments, when she is hitting it more sharply than her usual more lyrical style, but she's just clearly trained differently and it's a bit awkward to watch. Also, at some point she was dancing with a hard-core stank face on, and it was quite off-putting to me. 

Lea was great. Armani killed it and looked smoking to me. Rachel W actually gave Gina a run for her money during part of BPR's choreo (obviously not the freestyle part!). Dani, McKenzie, Gina, Jaylyn, and Lexie looked good to me in the glimpses I saw. Would have loved to see Ashlee, Caroline, Amber, and more of Eliie featured with that dance and in this episode. I felt absolutely fine about all of the cuts coming so early, and I loved BPR's demeanor, groove, and feedback. I want to learn that choreography, and I think she'd make a great Show Group judge!

Oh, Daphne. 😪

• Love 9

If they were treating this like a "real" dance audition, Kelli's assistant would just call out their names at the end of the rehearsal and say, "Thank you, we don't need to see anything else, you have been released from training camp." 

In years past occasionally girls would say, "I'm staying with a family friend," or "So and so and I are living with someone she knows," and I've always wondered if sometimes alums were hosting the TCCs and they just didn't spell it out. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Finally watched lol 

Bummed that Kya is struggling because whoa, she is STRIKING AS HELL. What a gorgeous, unique look. Pocahontas vibes. 

I've never seen cuts done so swiftly and at once. It was weird how they spliced them together like that...it kind of cheapened it. But I guess that's what happens when you bring 51 girls into TC. 

Kylie's so fresh faced but those eyebrows, girl...

I felt bad for Amanda. Judy said she danced/seemed frail, and yeah...she's SO tiny. She was kind of chicken-like. And she didn't have the power to outweigh that. 

I LOVED the choreographer. Not surprised that Madeline M. struggled and pulled out the 'comfort zone' excuse. She's always been one of the most unremarkable on the team. 

I'm not seeing what they're seeing in KayDianna. Also, her name literally drives me to insanity. I think it's the way it's put together like that without a space lmao. 

Tyra and Cailey are beauuuuutiful. Tori is so pretty. Mel is so cute!!

I want to see more Madeline S.!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 9/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, go4luca said:

My take is Haley is being groomed to take over for Kelli.  😐

NO!!!!!!!! I think the DCC should be run by only former DCCs. Especially ones with tenure. Jacie, Jenn Amburn, Kashara, Maddie, Jinelle, Danielle, Queen Nicole, and Jackie Bob.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

NO!!!!!!!! I think the DCC should be run by only former DCCs. Especially ones with tenure. Jacie, Jenn Amburn, Kashara, Maddie, Jinelle, Danielle, Queen Nicole, and Jackie Bob.

Jenn had said she don’t want to be a director for any team she likes training girls 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 9/25/2021 at 8:09 PM, bwalker048 said:

I think it's gross the way Natalie, her elevator, and her fridge the size of the Taj Mahal railed against Erica's demand for better/fair wages. 

I'll never forget the podcast she did and talked about the perks of being a DCC. Free hair, nails, and tanning. Hair extensions don't pay the rent, manicures, don't pay for groceries, and tanning doesn't put gas in your car. 

Just now, Holly85 said:

Jenn had said she don’t want to be a director for any team she likes training girls 

That's fair. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

I'll never forget the podcast she did and talked about the perks of being a DCC. Free hair, nails, and tanning. Hair extensions don't pay the rent, manicures, don't pay for groceries, and tanning doesn't put gas in your car. 

It's not really accurate for Natalie to call them perks when having salon-quality hair, nails, and tan is basically a requirement of being a DCC. 

• Love 8
On 9/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, Nancybeth said:

In years past occasionally girls would say, "I'm staying with a family friend," or "So and so and I are living with someone she knows," and I've always wondered if sometimes alums were hosting the TCCs and they just didn't spell it out. 

In the 2005 show vet Misty let 2 TCCS, Melissa and Elizabeth stay at her home.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, Lexusprincess said:

Natalie's house with a wing for a TCC seems great in that Kleine will have some privacy as will Natalie's family.  It is generous to open up your home to a TCC and Natalie should be applauded.  She also did this for Yuko.  I believe people's home reflects what they want and we have no clue her fiancé's.  good for her if she wants a big house.  Whatever Natalie believes is her opinion and she's entitled to it.

I hope other alumni opened up their home and they show that also.  

I agree. The wing is probably an in-law suite that Natalie and her husband built for future use by aging parents. Even one of my girlfriends from college who has four kids on two teachers salaries has one. It’s an entirely self-contained wing on their house. They’re lucky to have it and they share their home with her parents who both have age related illnesses and lots of associated expenses. Very kind really. 

I don’t see what the big deal about the elevator is. We have one. We have one because the guy who built our house had a brother in a wheelchair and he wanted the brother to be able to stay with them for long visits and be able to get around on his own. 

Not all amenities are about flash and cash. They’re about accessibility and providing space for loved ones when they need care.

Natalie seems like a lovely person.

• Love 8

I was on board with all the cuts except Bre.  I think Bre given more time and the showmanship lessons they talk about would’ve stood out.  I’ve watched her on IG at Jen Amburn’s classes, and she’s so cute and has a lot of power. I do think maybe a different hairstyle might help (it’s always in her face - at Jen’s and they remarked about it at camp.) 

• Love 5
On 9/29/2021 at 2:30 PM, Teriyaki Terror said:

I agree! Nothing like experience being ON the team to actually direct it.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Lynnbo said:

I was on board with all the cuts except Bre.  I think Bre given more time and the showmanship lessons they talk about would’ve stood out.  I’ve watched her on IG at Jen Amburn’s classes, and she’s so cute and has a lot of power. I do think maybe a different hairstyle might help (it’s always in her face - at Jen’s and they remarked about it at camp.) 

100% agree. Bre was the only one I wish they had given some more time to. Hopefully she’s back next year. Definitely has the look in my opinion!

• Love 5
On 9/29/2021 at 11:30 AM, Teriyaki Terror said:

Just take out Maddie and I agree with this 100%! 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, PicnicLife77 said:

Me too.!  I thought Ashlinn was a little soft last year and just came back stronger.  Now to be fair they aren't showing Tori as much. but Im routing for Ashlinn this year.

• Love 3