Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: You Came to Play!

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

Melissa Rycroft comes to the first rehearsal to look for showmanship mentoring candidates. Then Brittany Perry-Russell shakes up the candidates with her choreography.

Airs Friday Sep 24 at 9PM EDT.

As usual, this is a spoiler-free episode. If it did not happen on the show yet, please do not discuss here. Posting spoilers will result in warnings. Refer to the DCC spoiler policy for further information. 

Loved that camera shot where Caroline was comforting Christina. I remember her doing the same thing last season with Armani.

Super loved the scene with all the rookies talking about how they were going to improve next time. Really shows how seriously TCC take this process.

I love Kleine's personality and I love Armani's dancing. Really want to see her and Claire split point in 2023.

Not loving the dramatic music during Britanny Perry Russel's critiques. It's so cheesy. 

Bre looks so much like Christina from Flip or Flop on HGTV

• Love 9

I wonder who picked the TCC pink top practice uniforms that have a high neck?   The tops don't fit, and are baggy on some of them.   The other pink top uniform with the lower top looks so good.  

I really enjoyed the guest teacher Brittany.   I love how she talks to the TCC on the field, and her input to K & J was so insightful.

Better to get cut early, than to get your hopes up when K & J already know you won't make the team. 

• Love 11

What stood out to me this episode was Natalie’s home was gorgeous but how much they focused on that was a little bit much.  Some of these rookies really struggled. It was painful to watch.  I guess they do it because of time, but it really bugs me when they don’t show all the groups.  I didn’t feel like we saw enough of the guest choreographer’s routine.  I did like her, she was straightforward but not quite as harsh as Charm could be. 
i’ve heard Madeline say it’s out of my comfort zone pretty much anytime they have a hip-hop choreographer.  
Overall I thought it was kind of a boring episode and it seemed like they were more commercials than normal. 
Next week looks good because I love Evan Miller! 

• Love 10

The 4 cuts seemed to come really fast this year. In previous seasons it seemed like they had a lot more practices learning the dances and more critiques. But I guess they’re getting the dances ahead of time still? Anyway there was prolly a couple more they could have gotten rid of as well. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, MelissaMinion said:

Oh, no…the preview for next week.. I didn’t have the sound on; who was that in the kick line?

I think it was Daphne.

Was the last girl cut  Amanda  the one who was on the GSW Dancers?

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Monique said:

I love that they got some former DCC to host some TCC! It’s so much better than them trying to find an apartment just to not make the team in the end. 

I wonder if Natalie is the only one who does or the only one who was featured?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well I'm usually the pollyanna here but darn that episode just had no power and projection to it.  

Agreed. BORING!!

And still no panel interviews. How do we know who is going to be a great ambassador for the team versus the next 50 yard line Kelsey or President O'Biden???

And I still feel no connection to last years rookies or this years. 

I'm already becoming very tempted to entertain other options for my Friday nights...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

I think alumni should have been hosting all along. Glad they are finally doing that, but I really don’t need to see the whole castle…Kleine’s voiceover made it seem like Natalie cheered for two years…

58 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

I wonder if Natalie is the only one who does or the only one who was featured?

I think quite a few alum HAVE been hosting all along, Natalie in particular since she has some involvement (had?) with the show if I’m remembering correctly. Was she who had hosted Yuko?  IIRC some corporate housing was available in years past too. 

One good thing about last year was that they were able to stay in a hotel. I really would like to see this happen every year for those who don’t have permanent residency already…quite a few are already local or would stay in Dallas with or without the DCC. But those who come in for training camp, good to know they’d be taken care of in some way. No need for Karissa to be camped out in her car or Kat to be making contacts at nail salons and Alex Hermes spending $150 a night for a hotel room. Lol. 

Curious how labor law works with the dances they had to learn on their own before camp officially started as well. I would assume once they’re selected and the videos sent, they’re on the clock. 

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Trixi said:

The 4 cuts seemed to come really fast this year. In previous seasons it seemed like they had a lot more practices learning the dances and more critiques. But I guess they’re getting the dances ahead of time still? Anyway there was prolly a couple more they could have gotten rid of as well. 

I think because they brought more to training camp they cant mess around and have to get to cuts.  Yes, they mentioned in the episode they had dances in advance (except the guest coreo of course)  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kalibean said:

Curious how labor law works with the dances they had to learn on their own before camp officially started as well. I would assume once they’re selected and the videos sent, they’re on the clock. 

Interesting I would not think anyone in training camp would be paid at all except veterans.  I guess perhaps they are paid because they are on the show?  Idk

Edited by Mardo2044
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

Loved that camera shot where Caroline was comforting Christina. I remember her doing the same thing last season with Armani.

Super loved the scene with all the rookies talking about how they were going to improve next time. Really shows how seriously TCC take this process.

I love Kleine's personality and I love Armani's dancing. Really want to see her and Claire split point in 2023.

Not loving the dramatic music during Britanny Perry Russel's critiques. It's so cheesy. 

Bre looks so much like Christina from Flip or Flop on HGTV

I thought the exact same thing about Bre looking like Christina!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Holly85 said:

I liked the episode one way to get to know them is by following them on social media 

And then one might make the mistake of looking up Natalie’s social media because one is curious about where her life went and what one might do for a living to be in that house. Yikes. Wish I hadn’t. 

I guess keeping the focus on Natalie is more about “hey look how successful our alumni are in their gorgeous houses,” but while TPTB might also share said values, they know they’re controversial and wouldn’t want a current DCC using their platform in the same way.  So it’s weird to me that she got so much focus instead of a quicker feature amongst others. 

Sooooooo why not feature other Dallas area alum too, spread the love around. The housing market has gone nuts for sure, but DFW is still the most reasonably priced of the major cities and a more modest house would have been okay on camera too. Sheesh. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 18
11 minutes ago, Stee said:

Kleine is adorable - rooting for her.  But I just checked Natalie Wood's instagram account and .... just wow.  I thought Rachel W was controversial, but Natalie Wood is absolutely NOT for me.  Feel bad that Kleine has to live there. I'd reconsider sleeping in my car!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm scared to look up Natalie's account.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kalibean said:

And then one might make the mistake of looking up Natalie’s social media because one is curious about where her life went and what one might do for a living to be in that house. Yikes. Wish I hadn’t. 

I guess keeping the focus on Natalie is more about “hey look how successful our alumni are in their gorgeous houses,” but while TPTB might also share said values, they know they’re controversial and wouldn’t want a current DCC using their platform in the same way.  So it’s weird to me that she got so much focus instead of a quicker feature amongst others. 

Sooooooo why not feature other Dallas area alum too, spread the love around. The housing market has gone nuts for sure, but DFW is still the most reasonably priced of the major cities and a more modest house would have been okay on camera too. Sheesh. 

I guess MTT and the DCC didn’t care about Klein living with people so staunchly anti-mask and anti-vaccine yet still going into training camp 5x a week?! And sent a camera crew into that house? Yikes, indeed.

A few weeks ago Jerry Jones came out strongly in support of the vaccine mandate for the NFL in a radio interview. I am sure that would make Kelli and MTT producers do an about face and what has happened here with Klein’s placement and Natalie getting any air time this season.

• Love 19

Sister Girl Alumnae Natalie’s house is bigger than a small hotel and she only offered room & board to ONE TCC ?

And just what does she and/or her hubby do for a living? Is she trying out for RHO-Dallas ? 

I've come to accept that this show isn't going to be 100% dancing, but I wish they would angle the camera so we can see  whole group at one time. The bouncing around here and there can make a person dizzy.

Kelli can make the call to turn of all the lights in the entire ATT stadium ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, kalibean said:

I think quite a few alum HAVE been hosting all along, Natalie in particular since she has some involvement (had?) with the show if I’m remembering correctly. Was she who had hosted Yuko?  IIRC some corporate housing was available in years past too.  

It was Yuko. Remember when Melissa and Jinelle came over to give Yuko a pep talk?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

Oh, no…the preview for next week.. I didn’t have the sound on; who was that in the kick line?

Speaking of kickline  - the TCC who has been called out at least twice during the episode being the shortest ( I think she said 5'2"), hopefully has the a good strong to-the forehead kick, since she will be on the end. Judy will be watching her like a hawk to make sure her kicks , hopefully from night one, are perfect.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

I froze the board to better understand current rankings.  I am glad to see return TCC Ashlinn and legacy Madeline S are above 36 line.  I also like petite TCC Melanie who is currently 36 ranking.  I was surprised to see veteran Amanda in the last veteran spot... I always thought she was better than that.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, sATL said:

Speaking of kickline  - the TCC who has been called out at least twice during the episode being the shortest ( I think she said 5'2"), hopefully has the a good strong to-the forehead kick, since she will be on the end. Judy will be watching her like a hawk to make her her kicks , hopefully from night one, are perfect.

Melanie, and I like her! Your comment made me smile.  She better be able to kick her nose this season for sure!  Judy is actually talking and speaking her mind this season, finally!?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Stee said:

Kleine is adorable - rooting for her.  But I just checked Natalie Wood's instagram account and .... just wow.  I thought Rachel W was controversial, but Natalie Wood is absolutely NOT for me.  Feel bad that Kleine has to live there. I'd reconsider sleeping in my car!

I’m just going to put this out there , Natalie is way too young to have done so much to her face.  VERY unnatural looking 

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, Norby said:

Y’all, Natalie Woods’ house was the definition of McMansion.  It’s like someone thought up a bunch of features that are supposed to signify “wealth” and “taste” (Double staircase! Oversized double front doors!) and shoved them all into one giant house.  I thought it was beyond ugly, but the back yard and view were beautiful.  No offense to anyone who liked it.  I understand personal style varies and if Natalie likes it then that’s all that matters, but like Kitty Carter’s hair, it was just not for me.

Same.  House was lifeless and cold. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, kalibean said:

Happy to hear the tea on Natalie ,,

Not to wish ill will on anyone - but what about also featuring alumni who life might not be as monetary glamorous? For example, maybe they married someone in a blue-collar profession. Since they seem to focus on death in the TCC's lives - any alumni a widow? Any alumni had issues with maintaining a healthy weight post-DCC ? Any alumni trying to over come medical concerns? Any Alumni dealing with a financial hardships - like due to job loss/income,  natural disaster, etc ?  I mean at times they make it sound once your a DCC, your set in the land of roses, until the after-life...

So many of the TCC leave their hometown/college town to go to Dallas, so it would be nice to see mansions in other cities too, if the alumni left Dallas. Dallas's isn't the only city with valuable real estate. Anyone live in a NYC penthouse? OK ranch? Beachfront property in CA ? We have a plethora of houses with double staircases in ATL .

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, sATL said:

Happy to hear the tea on Natalie ,,

Not to wish ill will on anyone - but what about also featuring alumni who life might not be as monetary glamorous? For example, maybe they married someone in a blue-collar profession. Since they seem to focus on death in the TCC's lives - any alumni a widow? Any alumni had issues with maintaining a healthy weight post-DCC ? Any alumni trying to over come medical concerns? Any Alumni dealing with a financial hardships - like due to job loss/income,  natural disaster, etc ?  I mean at times they make it sound once your a DCC, your set in the land of roses, until the after-life...

I remember when they featured one alum who is middle aged weight and not as HDTV friendly who married a government worker and traveled.... people on this board had a field day.  I for one think people in their middle income houses with content lives would be fine with me, but then again I think a TCC that has had a happy upbringing and just likes to dance would be a welcome story!

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, sATL said:

It's been said before and worthy of a repeat - people such as you described would likely never be a DCC.  By nature, the vast majority of DCC have to come from a very privileged background.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

For a show/squad that is trying really hard to revamp its image to appear more inclusive and aware of important issues (racism, domestic abuse, and now suicide), choosing to hyper-focus on Natalie Woods' elitist residence is an epic FAIL.

I'm really struggling to find relevance and enjoyment in this show anymore.  I tried to get a refund for the season pass, but unfortunately wasn't successful.

Not to mention that she has clearly stated that she’s not concerned with the virus. Considering TX hospitals are overrun with Covid patients I am floored they are working with her.  and that jerry Jones has stated that the vaccine is mandatory working with Natalie woods doesn’t make sense 

• Love 18
49 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I froze the board to better understand current rankings.  I am glad to see return TCC Ashlinn and legacy Madeline S are above 36 line.  I also like petite TCC Melanie who is currently 36 ranking.  I was surprised to see veteran Amanda in the last veteran spot... I always thought she was better than that.

I was happy to see the board to be finally electronic. Hopefully it stays that way.

I guess they laid off the person who snapped polaroid pictures and made the run to the office supply store to get the colored dots.

And double happy to see all vets above the 36 line. I've been a proponent for years, to cut the lowest scoring vet returning to camp.

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, sATL said:

I was happy to see the board to be finally electronic. Hopefully it stays that way.

I guess they laided off the person who snapped polaroid pictures and made the run to the office supply store to get the colored dots.

And double happy to see all vets above the 36 line. I've been a proponent for years, to cut the lowest scoring vet returning to camp.

I suspect some dishonesty on the board.  The top row of veterans is alphabetical

• Love 5

Glad I’m not the only one who finds this season to be a little bit of a snooze fest. 

I know Melissa was picked to be a showmanship mentor because of the other shows she’s been on but she was mediocre back in her day. I’d love to see some of the real powerhouses mentor the girls instead. 

The house tour with Natalie Woods also didn’t sit well with me. I’d rather hear more about how Kleine prepared for DCC, ask Natalie for advice, etc… or just cut the whole scene from the show would have been fine too😜

I’m glad the show is showing more of the vets than in previous seasons. 

Favorite rookies are Kaydianna, Tori, Kleine and Ashlinn. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Tinydancerxo28 said:

I know Melissa was picked to be a showmanship mentor because of the other shows she’s been on but she was mediocre back in her day. I’d love to see some of the real powerhouses mentor the girls instead. 

I'm pretty sure we say this every year about alum powerhouse dancers and they rarely oblige us.  :(  

• Love 4