Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 3 • Sept. 27, 2021 — NO Mattsterisk
6. Rock Legends. A new studio album in 2020 gave him a top 5 album in 6 consecutive decades, his first in 1975.
7. The Continents. It’s the only continent with its mainland lying in all 4 hemispheres as defined by the equator & the prime meridian.
8. Mythology. The Hippocrene Spring, sacred to the Muses, was so named because this offspring of Medusa brought it into being.
9. Children’s Literature. A 2000 Library of Congress exhibit called this 1900 work “America’s greatest and best-loved homegrown fairy tale.”
10. American History. The April 26, 1906 eidition of The Call, a newspaper in this city, reported on the heroic death of hoseman James O’Neil.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh SURE @opus, I thought you said you were going to tank this week. You mean I have to eat this can of Spaghetti-Os and meatballs all by myself?

Sorry. One got through. Stick with me. I can do worse. I swear!

• LOL 7

5/5 Africa & Wizard of Oz were pretty obvious to me, and I was obsessed by the muses as a kid (my hometown has streets named for them). I got Bruce Springsteen only because his birthday was a week or so ago and the hit albums in the past 6 decades was mentioned in whatever blurb I read. I got Friday because I recently read a book in which the 1906 earthquake was a pivotal turning point in the plot - 2nd week in a row I got a FJ right because of my love for historical fiction. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Twins - same score, same FJs.

2/5 is my usual table, so I'm home.

I have hot chocolate...2 marshmallows on top!

2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I got Friday because I recently read a book in which the 1906 earthquake was a pivotal turning point in the plot - 2nd week in a row I got a FJ right because of my love for historical fiction. 

What book?

For everyone's entertainment and enjoyment, here are my Week 3 FJ answers:

6. Rock Legends. Elton John, because of that movie.
7. The Continents. Asia. Still would have said Asia even if I had remembered Africa.
8. Mythology. That flying winged horse whatshisname.
9. Children’s Literature. Alice in Wonderland is British so ... Snow White.
10. American History. Chicago

And that's how you score a perfect zero.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

For everyone's entertainment and enjoyment, here are my Week 3 FJ answers:

7. The Continents. Asia. Still would have said Asia even if I had remembered Africa.
8. Mythology. That flying winged horse whatshisname.
9. Children’s Literature. Alice in Wonderland is British so ... Snow White.
10. American History. Chicago

And that's how you score a perfect zero.

If I hadn’t just read about Springsteen, I would have probably guessed Elton John. He’s my go-to for singers whose careers have spanned decades. “That flying winged horse” is closer than a lot of people got I bet. No doubt brains shut down when Mythology is a category like mine does with Opera & Asian Geography (and a bunch more!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

6. Rock Legends. A new studio album in 2020 gave him a top 5 album in 6 consecutive decades, his first in 1975.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I graduated HS in 1975, so I eliminated a lot of people because I remember listening to their albums in HS.  Slightly related anecdote:  Our daughter was riding somewhere with my husband and me recently, and as one does, we were listening to NPR on the radio.  There was a quiz show on, and I won't go into all the details, but basically for the game they were playing, they were naming various things that happened in news and pop culture, and the contestants had to say whether they happened before or after May 2012.  H & I were doing okay, but D was nailing it.  About 3/4 of the way through the quiz, I realized, Hey! You graduated HS in 2012!  Of course you remember what happened before and after that!  Random unfair advantage!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I graduated HS in 1975, so I eliminated a lot of people because I remember listening to their albums in HS.  Slightly related anecdote:  Our daughter was riding somewhere with my husband and me recently, and as one does, we were listening to NPR on the radio.  There was a quiz show on, and I won't go into all the details, but basically for the game they were playing, they were naming various things that happened in news and pop culture, and the contestants had to say whether they happened before or after May 2012.  H & I were doing okay, but D was nailing it.  About 3/4 of the way through the quiz, I realized, Hey! You graduated HS in 2012!  Of course you remember what happened before and after that!  Random unfair advantage!

I know what show you were listening to! 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've been watching y'all for a while now and think I'd like to join in, please.  I am 1/5 week one, 2/5 week two, and 3/5 week three.  I sense a pattern!

I hope it's not too late to play!

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, labresq said:

I've been watching y'all for a while now and think I'd like to join in, please.  I am 1/5 week one, 2/5 week two, and 3/5 week three.  I sense a pattern!

WELCOME!  Rooting for your 4 next week.

• Love 2
(edited)
51 minutes ago, labresq said:

It's never too late! Welcome aboard the Official FJ Contest Score Sheet! The Table43 is the popular table to be this week and you will fit in great there.

Woo hoo, we now have 29 players, counting The Pretend Matt Amodio.

Hoping someone can drop off a doughnut or bagel to me, all alone at the T40. My can of Spaghetti-Os is almost empty.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, labresq said:

Glad to have you in on the fun!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Driad said:

labresq -- does you nom de group mean you are a dog person?  If so, you're not the only one here!

Yes, it's true I'm a dog person.  Several ways, including that my late husband was blind and relied on dog guides from The Seeing Eye.  My name here reflects my years spent involved with a nonprofit online organization back in the late 90s early 2000s that raised money to treat labs that were found injured or ill and needed medical treatment before they could be adopted.  No longer in operation because online is much different than it was back then.  Current pooch is Louis, a lab mix I've had for just over a year.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

• Love 7

Thanks to @Driad for pointing out your nom de group and to @labresq for the explanation. To show how dense I am, I thought those are a bunch of random letters that don't mean anything, how can I remember that. (Like a dolt, I was reading it la-bre-esque.)

But now I can, thanks to the brains more brilliant than mine who frequent this thread.

• Love 4

I was 1\5 this week, but with two almosts--as in, I almost knew it but couldn't spit it out. 

On the other hand, last week I had TWO M*s. Roger Rabbit and locusts. I'd say more animals, but Pegasus was one of my almosts.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks to @Driad for pointing out your nom de group and to @labresq for the explanation. To show how dense I am, I thought those are a bunch of random letters that don't mean anything, how can I remember that. (Like a dolt, I was reading it la-bre-esque.)

But now I can, thanks to the brains more brilliant than mine who frequent this thread.

After reading and digesting your posts about the term "rescue" it makes sense that you didn't "get" my name.  But it's one I typically use.  Oh, and will you please give me one M* for knowing locusts in week 2?  Thanks!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was 1\5 this week, but with two almosts--as in, I almost knew it but couldn't spit it out. 

On the other hand, last week I had TWO M*s. Roger Rabbit and locusts. I'd say more animals, but Pegasus was one of my almosts.

I like "almosts" - that happens so often with me. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the brain to mouth dysfunction.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, labresq said:

After reading and digesting your posts about the term "rescue" it makes sense that you didn't "get" my name. 

That has nothing to do with it. I saw a bunch of rando letters and read it as la-bre-esque. After @Driad pointed it out, I was like, oh, DUH. NOW I can see/read it as you intended. So thank you Driad.

And yeah, it made me feel like a dolt, but I'm very accustomed to that feeling.

Side note: I've shown and finished a ton load of Labs, it's a great breed. One owner got upset with me because I was letting her dog, that was staying with me during its show career, sleep in the recliner chair while we watched tv at night. I got yelled at for teaching him that bad habit. Heh.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I managed 4/5 this week.  Like others,  I was in high school when Born to Run came out so Springsteen is usually my starting point for any musician with long career type questions.  Plus I also heard mentions of him around his recent birthday. 

For Tuesday memories of standing over the Prime Meridian in Greenwich and watching a Michael Palin travel program where he went from Pole to Pole got me quickly to Africa (too quickly really - I started second guessing myself but never came up with a different answer).

Wednesday I got the horse part of the clue but got stuck on Centaur and never made it to Pegasus.  Thursday was a wild guess because my brain wouldn't come up with anything else. 

On Friday I immediately said San Francisco but then started wondering when the heck was the Chicago fire - decided it was 19th century just in time to make it back to Frisco. 

My cooking enjoyment is still on vacation (hoping it comes home soon) so I will offer up the last peach sangria of the season as my contribution to the T44.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

That has nothing to do with it. I saw a bunch of rando letters and read it as la-bre-esque. After @Driad pointed it out, I was like, oh, DUH. NOW I can see/read it as you intended. So thank you Driad.

And yeah, it made me feel like a dolt, but I'm very accustomed to that feeling.

Side note: I've shown and finished a ton load of Labs, it's a great breed. One owner got upset with me because I was letting her dog, that was staying with me during its show career, sleep in the recliner chair while we watched tv at night. I got yelled at for teaching him that bad habit. Heh.

Three of my husband's dog guides were labs and all of them, plus our pet dogs, were all allowed on the furniture.  My "heart dog" (the one that got me into the world of working  with lab clubs and thus  to many lab specialties) was Buddy, a yellow lab who was found on a farm in Iowa with a shattered leg and buckshot wounds.  The folks who found him couldn't afford the money to treat him so they posted on Lab-L (at the time!) and folks started donating money to help him.  He ended up having his front leg amputated and after recuperating for about 6 months, he was ready to be adopted and we were the lucky ones chosen to adopt him!  He lived to be about 11.  Sweet, sweet dog and opened me up to a new world of people and dogs.  Still miss him every day. 

Does this go better under "small talk" than here?  I wasn't sure.  

• Love 4
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For me, peach sangria is the ONLY reason to go to Olive Garden.

Then I'll sit next to you as you drink peach sangria and I eat all the bread sticks and salad.

Although I can't remember the last time I was at OG. It's so long ago my long-term memory can't even recall it.

I guess I should pack a lunch for me all by myself at MY table. *raspberries*

2 minutes ago, labresq said:

Does this go better under "small talk" than here?  I wasn't sure.  

We're all friends here and extra convo is welcome. So, you are in the correct place!

ETA: The neighbor behind me had a big black dog named Lucy that was hit by a car and lost a front leg during surgery. She got around great on three legs and my dogs loved her, she was the best.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Wait. Saber, you're having raspberries?  Can I come sit at your table?

When I worked at the vet's, we had a fairly large mutt come in with an injured leg. It ended up being amputated and the owner "disowned" the dog. Didn't want a 3-legged doggo (fool. I think we fired the client.)  So one of our techs, who had already fallen in love with her, took her home as her own.  Techs get a lot of pets that way.

Dr. E. was not hesitant about firing clients with ill-behaved pets who endangered our other patients.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Wait. Saber, you're having raspberries?  Can I come sit at your table?

When I worked at the vet's, we had a fairly large mutt come in with an injured leg. It ended up being amputated and the owner "disowned" the dog. Didn't want a 3-legged doggo (fool. I think we fired the client.)  So one of our techs, who had already fallen in love with her, took her home as her own.  Techs get a lot of pets that way.

Dr. E. was not hesitant about firing clients with ill-behaved pets who endangered our other patients.

I applaud your vet. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Love 6