Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: Los Angeles (2022)

• Start Topic

Giving a very hesitant "...yay?"

I don't have the same fond memories of this season the way I do of Original NY and a couple other early seasons but I definitely have a nostalgic desire for RW/RR content and I will admit Paramount has been delivering. Will be interesting to see what of the original Homecoming concept they keep and what changes for the second go-round.

• Love 4

I wasn't a fan of LA Real World, none of the roommates were likable.  Maybe Irene?  I wonder if Dom and Aaron are still friends.

I'd much rather see Seattle, San Francisco or Boston. Hope those are in the works.

But I'll probably watch anyway cuz I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, KLJ said:

I wasn't a fan of LA Real World, none of the roommates were likable.  Maybe Irene?  I wonder if Dom and Aaron are still friends.

I'd much rather see Seattle, San Francisco or Boston. Hope those are in the works.

But I'll probably watch anyway cuz I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Apparently Aaron will not be on.

Rumors was that Miami might be the next one.  I can't see Boston, as apparently they had some video call reunion last year and Kameelah (being a doctor) freaked out seeing Sean at a rally with no mask and got into a huge argument.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2021 at 10:00 AM, seltzer3 said:

Apparently Aaron will not be on.

Rumors was that Miami might be the next one.  I can't see Boston, as apparently they had some video call reunion last year and Kameelah (being a doctor) freaked out seeing Sean at a rally with no mask and got into a huge argument.

Yes Kameelah said on a podcast her and Sean got into an argument and said they will never get along. 

I'm currently rewatching Los Angeles so I am excited for this. It sucks Aaron won't be on because he is probably the one I am most interested in seeing. I am surprised they got Tami I know she has done a lot of reality tv, but I remember her being anti-Real World about 15 years ago.

• Love 1

YES I am VERY much looking forward to this one!! I tuned into the New York season kinda late in its original run, and it took me a while to catch on to what it really was about and then had to play catch up via the million re-runs MTV used to do. But LA? I was there from episode one and loved every minute of it, so I really feel like this was my *first* Real World season. Won't have the quite same "seeing everyone for the first time in years" vibe as the New York homecoming since Tami's been on quite a few other reality shows, and Beth S and Jon have done a few Challenge seasons, but I still am excited. I'm not surprised Aaron is not joining....I AM surprised that Beth A and David will appear, and I genuinely hope the tease of a possible surprise appearance from Dominic is true. Would be funny if they all tried to call Aaron while they're filming, though he'd probably just hit 'ignore'.

I'd love if they could get everyone in the same Venice Beach house again. If not, there've gotta be others around where they can stick the cast.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, choclatechip45 said:

I'm currently rewatching Los Angeles so I am excited for this. It sucks Aaron won't be on because he is probably the one I am most interested in seeing. I am surprised they got Tami I know she has done a lot of reality tv, but I remember her being anti-Real World about 15 years ago.

I'm not surprised about Aaron.  From what I recall, he has expressed that he has no interest in revisiting the show.  I don't think he attended any of the reunions. 

• Useful 1

Aaron was so very bland, but I still wish the whole group was participating.  I don't get (and am not signing up for) Paramount+, but I'm hoping they'll make the first episode available on YouTube like they did with the first episode of the NY Homecoming so I can see everyone (well, almost everyone) greet each other again after all this time.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2021 at 5:52 PM, Bastet said:

I don't get (and am not signing up for) Paramount+, but I'm hoping they'll make the first episode available on YouTube like they did with the first episode of the NY Homecoming so I can see everyone (well, almost everyone) greet each other again after all this time.

CRAP!  So you weren't able to see all of the NY Homecoming on YT?  I don't have frickin' Paramount either and I'd love to see this one and Miami, if that's the next one.

Where else could I see it if not at Paramount+?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

He's the only one I wanted to see.  He is bland, but he is hot.  What is he busy doing, anyway?

I think it ebay had existed then, many people would’ve made good money selling copies of the calendar he was in. 

I loved this season and it was my “first”. 

• Love 3

Real World Los Angeles was my introduction to THE REAL WORLD.  I caught the New York season during one of those marathons.  Los Angeles had a lot of arguments and the cast didn't always get along.  I hate to sound like a prude but I hope they get along this time.

• Love 2

There's a new trailer that I just saw this morning. Looks like it's gonna be a tense reunion.

I'm still looking forward to it. I'm just a sucker for reunions and I loved the original run of this season. And I could be wrong but it looks like they might even be back in the same Venice Beach house from the original show.

It is kinda eerie to me how David looks exactly the same, lol.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 4

OMG, Tami in that first interview clip ("Let me tell you something")!  I know she's made the reality TV circuit, but I haven't seen her since this show.  In all the other clips, she looks like Tami.  But I don't even know what the hell is happening with her face in that one clip.  Looking a second time, it's not her face itself - which explains why none of the other shots had my eyes bugging out - it's her make-up.  Especially those eyebrows.  Yikes.  I'm not typically so shallow, but she chose that.  On camera.

Who does she call in as reinforcement, her boyfriend/husband?

I wish they'd given us a little more in that trailer, and wonder if it's really mostly conflict or if they're just playing that up, since that's how they marketed the original?

• Love 2

Man. Everytime I see David (last time was on the Battle of the Sexes Challenge) I want him to be different. But he never is. 

Tami's explanation of her laughter and her reaction makes so much sense now. Looking back I can see her dealing with a serious disorder. I appreciated her being so vulnerable. Then seeing David laughing again. Ugh.

I'm glad they started with this incident so we can get it out of the way. There was so much more to this cast than this. 

And Beth A with the Tshirt was adorable!!

Beth S looks amazing. 

Edited by noluvnoluck
  • Love 8

^ I can't wait to watch later today. I was excited last night thinking it was already the 24th and disappointed when searched P+ and realized I was a day early.  

For whatever reason, I feel like this one will be more interesting than NY. LA's almost like the forgotten season, wedged between NY and SF. So much drama too. I re-watched it recently and discovered I have a soft spot for Beth S.  So many of the cast treated both her (& Jon) horribly. Beth was annoying but goodhearted and she didn't deserve that treatment, especially from Aaron/Glen/Beth A.  No soft spot for Jon. although I do think he was just extremely immature (& a little arrogant ala big fish, small pond).

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, snarts said:

^ I can't wait to watch later today. I was excited last night thinking it was already the 24th and disappointed when searched P+ and realized I was a day early.  

For whatever reason, I feel like this one will be more interesting than NY. LA's almost like the forgotten season, wedged between NY and SF. So much drama too. I re-watched it recently and discovered I have a soft spot for Beth S.  So many of the cast treated both her (& Jon) horribly. Beth was annoying but goodhearted and she didn't deserve that treatment, especially from Aaron/Glen/Beth A.  No soft spot for Jon. although I do think he was just extremely immature (& a little arrogant ala big fish, small pond).

I do remember one episode where Jon and Beth kind of had a heart to heart and I think he stuck up for her as well with Aaron and Glen. She’s said that to this day, Jon is one of her closest friends. So at least something good came out of the season!

I always liked Beth as well. Annoying?  Yes. But IIRC Aaron and Glen were really hateful to her. Like… really, really nasty.  Man, that whole cast hated each other. 

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, snarts said:

For whatever reason, I feel like this one will be more interesting than NY. LA's almost like the forgotten season, wedged between NY and SF. So much drama too.

It seemed like the first Homecoming season was really limited by Covid.  I think they were only back in the loft a few days, and they were very restricted on what they could do to keep the cast from being exposed.  

It's very interesting watching the cast re-litigate the blanket fight.  I do get David's point.  He took it too far, but in the moment, you can see how from David's perspective, it was just meant as a joking situation, with everyone laughing and having a fun time.  I also see Tami's perspective, about how her laughter didn't mean she was having fun and that her body issues made it a very uncomfortable situation she did not know how to handle.  

Mind you, at least from what we saw in this new episode, David is still handling things very poorly.  I think Tami made a mistake in telling him she was giving him a pass when she could have just left it with saying she understands they have different perspectives on the event.  I think David is making a bigger mistake in refusing to move on, and in seeming to get angry and a little belligerent that the redemption he wants is not happening.       

• Love 7

These Homecoming shows are a bit like high school reunions. The Homecoming New York was like seeing good friends who you've lost touched with over the years but you are genuinely happy to reconnect with. Homecoming Los Angeles was like seeing that person from high school who you didn't like and realizing they are still awful.

That said, it seems like most of the group aren't friends and didn't keep in touch. [A bit jarring after New York but not surprising.] 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

It's very interesting watching the cast re-litigate the blanket fight.  I do get David's point.  He took it too far, but in the moment, you can see how from David's perspective, it was just meant as a joking situation, with everyone laughing and having a fun time.  I also see Tami's perspective, about how her laughter didn't mean she was having fun and that her body issues made it a very uncomfortable situation she did not know how to handle.  

Mind you, at least from what we saw in this new episode, David is still handling things very poorly.  I think Tami made a mistake in telling him she was giving him a pass when she could have just left it with saying she understands they have different perspectives on the event.  I think David is making a bigger mistake in refusing to move on, and in seeming to get angry and a little belligerent that the redemption he wants is not happening.       

I could see both sides, even back then. David thought they were all joking around. I often wondered if he would've just acknowledged that she was upset and said "I'm sorry, I really thought we were playing" they might've been able to move on without him leaving. But, he'd recently lost his temper, nearly attacking Jon and that certainly played into everyone's reaction. 

Now, 28 years later, I realize he's just an asshole who lacks  empathy. Tami clearly explained her headspace at the time and it was obviously jarring for everyone except David to re-watch the events. Yet he laughs and tries to shame her "mental issues". WTF? There's something so blantantly entitled about people who disregard & ridicule other peoples reactions to their behavior. David's not grown a bit, if anything, he seems worse, if the previews are any indication.  

Tami's snarky comment about Glen/Beth A's appearance did  make me laugh. 

Still trying to understand the disdain for Beth S. Beth A's comment about how she looks for everyone's approval was a little rich. Maybe she just wants to not feel like people hate her? It's not like she's been chasing  after Glen's friendship for 20 years. It's a reunion, you're supposed to talk about the past. Then again, maybe Beth S should just wear a tshirt announcing her agenda...

• Love 14

I know Beth S is a drama queen

Yeah, Beth S could be annoying, but after seeing her interact with her mother, and how her mother acted went a long way to explaining who Beth S was and why she acted the way she did (for me, anyway).

And yeah, Glen really was an ass to her for no reason.

• Love 9

Stumbled across this on P+ last night. I watched seasons 2 and 3 of RW when they originally aired, but never watched subsequent seasons.

Observations:

• Season 2 was really cliquish: There was Jon/Tami/Beth S, Dominic/Aaron, and Glen/Beth A: Irene and David were gone before the cliques really formed. So when Dominic didn't show for this reunion, it was obvious that Aaron wouldn't either.
  • Never really knew why Irene scheduled her marriage when she knew the show would be filming, but now it sounds like she was miserable and felt unaccepted because she was a LEO, so she and her fiancé moved the wedding date up so she'd have an excuse to leave gracefully.
  • Tami's cattiness about the other cast members' aging is a little ridiculous when most of them have aged better than she has. The two Beths in particular both look great.
  • Having said that, Tami looks just fine, and body dysmorphia is no joke. I'm glad she seems to have worked through it.
  • Beth A still considers herself a lesbian but married a man because God told her to? Okaaaaaay.
  • Can Jon please stop wearing his cowboy hat indoors?
  • David is still an ass. There is NOTHING wrong with saying "Look, the blanket incident started as a joke and then morphed into something ugly. I took it way too far because I was young and dumb, and shouldn't have done it. I'm sorry." Tami even gave him an opportunity to say that, but of course he STILL can't see past his own ego. He lives in his own little world where he's never once done anything wrong.
  • I thought it was hilarious how the producers had Glen and Beth A arrive significantly later than everyone else. Hopefully, we won't be subjected to any more of Glen's awful music (which consisted of his backing band playing super-generic metal riffs while Glen screamed unintelligibly into a microphone).
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Hopefully, we won't be subjected to any more of Glen's awful music (which consisted of his backing band playing super-generic metal riffs while Glen screamed unintelligibly into a microphone).

Out of all the really bad bands that castmembers were involved in for the first few seasons, Glen's was the worst by a country mile.

• Love 5

I actually found the knowledge that after so many years, Beth S and Dom were able to make their peace with each other and develop a friendship kind of heartwarming.  I wish he would have participated, but I really respect his reasons for not doing it.

• Love 5

I don't if they are still offering it but you can get Paramount plus for a whole year free if you have t mobile. You just need to get the code. Amazon Prime video is offering the Paramount plus channel (the one without ads) 2 dollars for two months. You have ways to watch on the cheap. Black Friday deals are not just for stuff in stores.

Also

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Here is an interesting counterpoint the Homecoming show...from the first Real World Reunion special. Dominic and Aaron were MIA from that too.

Okay so that doesn't really make sense when Beth claimed that her and David never talked after their season (along with others making that claim.  Also Beth and David were on battle of the sexes challenge.  So I really don't understand people making these claims about not seeing each other.

One thing I do find interesting is that it looks like Jon is the glue for this cast.  Aaron was the only one that talked to him.  Tami claimed that Jon is the only one she keeps in touch with, which is super surprising since Tami and Jon did not get along.

I am interested to see more of Irene, Glenn, and Beth A.  Since the three of them were kind of in the background.  Irene just seemed checked out in her season (and apparently wasn't even really in the house).  Glenn and Beth were late adds and had kind of one note storylines

Edited by seltzer3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Never really knew why Irene scheduled her marriage when she knew the show would be filming, but now it sounds like she was miserable and felt unaccepted because she was a LEO, so she and her fiancé moved the wedding date up so she'd have an excuse to leave gracefully.

If I remember correctly, Irene's wedding date was already set when she was cast, it was just that the producers really wanted someone in law enforcement, so they cast her anyway knowing that she'd be leaving to get married in the middle of filming. 

5 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

Okay so that doesn't really make sense when Beth claimed that her and David never talked after their season (along with others making that claim.  Also Beth and David were on battle of the sexes challenge.  So I really don't understand people making these claims about not seeing each other.

I thought Beth said she hadn't seen David 'since the '90s', not since he left the house.  I don't remember what year they were on the challenge together but it does seem like it wasn't the '90s..

Man, I tell you I always thought David got a bad rap during Blanket-gate, but like Irene said, he looks like an idiot laughing his ass off while they're showing (and re-showing) the clip. I get he really wanted some redemption and was trying to get it come hell or high-water, but after hearing what Tami said, he should've read the room and realized it wasn't about his redemption anymore. But he was determined to be the sole victim here. I felt bad for him in '93. Not so much now.

This homecoming is such a stark contrast to the NY one. I knew it would be, but I don't think even I realized how much this cast disliked each other STILL. They may be somewhat more mature about it, but it seems they're still barely tolerating each other. I really hope we get to see them having some genuine fun together.

And I'm still holding out for a cameo by Dom. The pre-show articles all seemed to hint that he'd be making an appearance of some sort. Those old footage clips can't be it. I'd even take a face-time call, lol.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I thought Beth said she hadn't seen David 'since the '90s', not since he left the house.  I don't remember what year they were on the challenge together but it does seem like it wasn't the '90s..

She did, she said she hadn't seen David since the 90s. Their  season was filmed in 1993 & then they both appeared the on Real World/Road Rules Challenge (Beth contestant, David host) which aired in 1999. 

Also sad that Dom chose not to participate. I would love to hear his take on things now. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, snarts said:

She did, she said she hadn't seen David since the 90s. Their  season was filmed in 1993 & then they both appeared the on Real World/Road Rules Challenge (Beth contestant, David host) which aired in 1999. 

Also sad that Dom chose not to participate. I would love to hear his take on things now. 

They were also on Battle of the Sexes (2003) the one where David gotten ejected again (for his fight with Puck).  Apparently David got into a huge fight with Beth (along with others as well)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

David comes across as a childhood bully who never grew up; who, when faced with the people he bullied as an adult goes on like "you just couldn't take a joke, you're too sensitive, so you're saying I'm responsible for your feelings??"  It's repulsive, and I'm surprised to hear him say he's had tons of therapy!  He displays no empathy and can't read a room, repeatedly putting on that full-face laughter when everyone else is visibly uncomfortable.  That comment about how if he knew one of the room-mates might have body dysmorphia or an eating disorder then he would never have signed up was beyond the pale.  Tami shared something really vulnerable about why this was traumatic for her and had thrown back in her face like 'eww, you have mental illnesses!' 

Sure, you can still be a lesbian and just be into one male-identifying person, the labels are not as rigid as they used to be, and it was really funny that she wore that t-shirt. It is funny since Norman also spoke last season about not being gay as stated in the original season, but bisexual. The story about the psychic and the god detail was OTT though. 

Glenn doesn't seem very likeable in the flashback clips they're showing, but I guess it looks like the house was a pretty toxic environment in general.   I guess since they all watched the first season of homecoming, they knew the conflict was coming so they got into it immediately, but maybe there will be bonding later? 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, seltzer3 said:

They were also on Battle of the Sexes (2003) the one where David gotten ejected again (for his fight with Puck).  Apparently David got into a huge fight with Beth (along with others as well)

You're right, I forgot about that. I thought that David quit during the first episode? I think Puck spit at/on him but he ultimately left when he heard that he was to be voted out by the dreaded inner circle.    

In any case, I don't think Beth S was being purposely misleading when she said she'd not seen David in years. They're definitely not BFFs. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

One thing I do find interesting is that it looks like Jon is the glue for this cast.  Aaron was the only one that talked to him.

I think Glen said he was in touch with Aaron.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't have a lot of sympathy for David, even back then.  There gets to be a moment during the scene where she starts to look legit terrified, but he just kept going and going.  I don't blame any of the women for not being comfortable having him stay in the house, particularly when he seemed to lack any ability to understand what he'd done wrong, even though it was inadvertent.  He can talk today about how it destroyed his career, but what did that was HIS actions, not how Tami, Beth, and Irene reacted.

11 hours ago, Glade said:

maybe there will be bonding later? 

Maybe there will be a return of the asshole Outward Bound instructors.  All of the housemates were united against those douchebags.

So, they did bond over that experience, just not in the way I think MTV had intended.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, starri said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't have a lot of sympathy for David, even back then.  There gets to be a moment during the scene where she starts to look legit terrified, but he just kept going and going.  I don't blame any of the women for not being comfortable having him stay in the house, particularly when he seemed to lack any ability to understand what he'd done wrong, even though it was inadvertent.  He can talk today about how it destroyed his career, but what did that was HIS actions, not how Tami, Beth, and Irene reacted.

His own actions, and that of a media that to this very day characterizes what Beth said as comparing his actions to that of a rapist (which gets used against her), when what she said was his she seemed into it justification for keeping on despite Tami's repeatedly telling him to stop sounds like what a rapist says.  She was right.  And the women were right to say they didn't feel comfortable having to live with him afterward.  David is no victim, I have only ever felt sorry for him about the fact his race means his actions had more repercussions outside the house than they would've had one of the white guys done the same thing, and to read (I haven't seen this, since I don't have the streaming service and haven't looked to see if they put the first episode up on YouTube like the did with NY's reunion season) that he STILL refuses to see and accept what he did even when it's clearly laid out for him by the woman herself sadly does not surprise me. 

• Love 11

Can David make history as a Real World cast member who was kicked off twice 28 years apart?

What an asshole.  From the jump, even before we got to the 'scene that must replayed 50x this episode' he was working my nerves.  How he spoke about how he came for his apology and how he was done wrong.  Bitch, no you wasn't.

You could see how everyone in that room was so uncomfortable watching that scene and he was laughing like a demented loon.  Tami showed a lot of grace and he couldn't even catch the softball she lobbed him.  He is that Anti-Kevin Powell.

As for the rest, honestly didn't remember a lot of these people.  I remembered Tami, Jon, Beth S. and Dominik (and of course David because he got kicked off).  I would have not been able to come up with Irene, Beth A. or Glen's names if I had been pressed. 

It looks like this reunion is going to be as toxic as their season was and that is a shame.  Yeah, the New York crew had Becky acting a fool, but everyone else felt like they had grown the fuck up.  And there were places where they were genuine, warm, supportive and funny as hell.  That humanity served as a great counterpoint to the tension and drama with Becky.  But this group, I dont' feel we are gonna get that unless they were just choosing the hype the terrible stuff at the expense of the less terrible stuff.

• Love 11

I did look on YouTube, which had videos highlighting each housemates best moments.  I was surprised at how Beth A's reel had a lot of her and Jon hanging out...along with her and Beth S kick boxing together where she was giving Beth S advice to stand up against Glenn..that he had no right to talk down to her.  And she said she would miss Beth S...drove her crazy, but would take her to events and places she'd never try on her own.

And Irene said the show cast her because they wanted someone in law enforcement, plus someone engaged so they could show the planning process and to film the wedding.

• Love 2

By the end, Tami, Jon, and Beth S were close, although I think the two women might only have been in proximity because of Jon.  I just remember how kind and supportive he was to Tami after she had her abortion.  It's easy to understand why they stayed in touch.

I also think all of the women--Irene especially--felt maternal toward him, since he was so young and the other guys had a tendency to pick on him.

There was a really nice profile of Tami the day the first reunion episode dropped.  I think she very much deserves to have the episode reconsidered after 30 years of conversations about consent and men being told what "no" means.  It's still very disheartening to me to read some comments on social media putting the incident on her.  And it's still disgusting that people don't quote Beth S properly.

• Love 8
On 11/25/2021 at 8:17 PM, Giuseppe said:

If I remember correctly, Irene's wedding date was already set when she was cast, it was just that the producers really wanted someone in law enforcement, so they cast her anyway knowing that she'd be leaving to get married in the middle of filming. 

Man, I tell you I always thought David got a bad rap during Blanket-gate, but like Irene said, he looks like an idiot laughing his ass off while they're showing (and re-showing) the clip. I get he really wanted some redemption and was trying to get it come hell or high-water, but after hearing what Tami said, he should've read the room and realized it wasn't about his redemption anymore. But he was determined to be the sole victim here. I felt bad for him in '93. Not so much now.

This homecoming is such a stark contrast to the NY one. I knew it would be, but I don't think even I realized how much this cast disliked each other STILL. They may be somewhat more mature about it, but it seems they're still barely tolerating each other. I really hope we get to see them having some genuine fun together.

I was always a bit torn on the blanket incident as well, especially because as noted in this first episode of Homecoming, there were a lot more participants involved, like Jon laughing along and doing wrestling moves. 

However, his behavior during the discussion was beyond the pale. Still laughing, not able to see anyone else's point of view, and especially the dismissing of the additional context that Tami gave about the whole thing. She shared some genuine personal struggles and he was just laser focused on getting his own views across again. If he wanted redemption, she gave him a silver platter opportunity to be a human being and he acted like a jackass again. There is something definitely wrong with him and he's going to make this already awkward reunion so much worse.

Tami really is one of the reality TV OGs, she was reality TV gold back then and she still is. Some of her commentary made me laugh out loud, even when it was obnoxious, like "black don't crack, but white sometimes...goes another way" (in response to seeing Beth A and Glen, whose appearances have definitely...gone another way.) And when they run her highlight reel, she had the most interesting storylines, between the televised abortion, her work at the HIV clinic, the jaw wiring, the attempt to rig Studs (LOL). And all of it was entirely genuine, she didn't appear to be playing to the cameras back then, she was who she was, for better or worse. 

And the dynamic between her and Beth S, oof. Went straight back to '93 from the moment Beth walked in, she was immediately the awkward sidekick to Tami's alpha nature. Beth is just hard to take, something about the way she presents herself is so immediately off-putting to me (and to most people, it seems). 

I will still never understand what made the house choose Glen as a roommate back then and he's still off-putting as well. There's an arrogance to him despite nothing about him standing out as a reason for ego. And Beth A...another one I didn't really understand as a casting choice. She didn't have a strong personality and it seemed like she was cast simply for being a lesbian, I can't recall anything else about her.

Not at all surprised that Dom and Aaron, especially Aaron, passed on the reunion. I could have seen Dom making it work for the week or so, but Aaron so clearly thought himself superior to the others and probably not eager to reassociate himself with reality TV.

It makes some sense to me that Tami and Jon would be on good terms, once he got a little older and more mature, he was a nice guy. He was close-minded and defensive of his background and values as a sheltered 18 year old, but in his later appearances on Challenges, he'd clearly mellowed with age.

I found the segment on Irene's work as law enforcement to be very interesting and more poignant than I'd realized at the time. I didn't really connect the dots about what was happening in LA around that time and how it would have affected the whole of LEOs. 

Overall, the instant tension and discomfort of this reunion was what I expected and a really good reflection of that season itself. The Outward Bound episode and the cast mutiny is about the only standout incident that showed the roommates actually being nice to each other. Most of the other memorable moments from this season that involved cast interaction were negative, like the blanket incident or the disastrous vacation. Not a whole lot of highlights to reminisce about with this group.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

And the dynamic between her and Beth S, oof. Went straight back to '93 from the moment Beth walked in, she was immediately the awkward sidekick to Tami's alpha nature. Beth is just hard to take, something about the way she presents herself is so immediately off-putting to me (and to most people, it seems). 

I will still never understand what made the house choose Glen as a roommate back then and he's still off-putting as well. There's an arrogance to him despite nothing about him standing out as a reason for ego. And Beth A...another one I didn't really understand as a casting choice. She didn't have a strong personality and it seemed like she was cast simply for being a lesbian, I can't recall anything else about her.

Yes to all of this! With Beth S I remember when she was like "I don't know why my roommates don't like me" and I can't put my finger on it but there really is something so off-putting about her. That's a great word for it. It's like she's hungry to be liked and loved in sort of a Michael Scott way but she also never exposes any true vulnerability about herself like Michael Scott occasionally did. She's just hungry for attention or love, whatever she can get but doesn't actually want to do any emotional work to get either one.

I forgot about Glen but now watching the highlights and flash backs, I can't stand him. He was really egotistical and kind of mean. And Beth A also was boring. I remember two things about her. She was a lesbian. She made sandwiches for the homeless with John. And in her highlights they showed her making sandwiches and wearing the lesbian shirt. 

The blanket thing was so weird back then and I had a certain level of sympathy for David at the time. At the moment I could see where it was hard to figure out when the joke started. People were laughing and then they were yelling and some were still laughing? In between yelling? I can totally understand where someone who is involved could be confused as to when the joke ended and the anger began. I've been in a few situations like that and you're joking around and everyone is laughing and it's all in good fun and then someone goes one inch too far and they don't realize they did it.

David's problem at the time and now is that as soon as the dust settled and it was clear that there was a moment when it all went south from laughing to screaming and real fear, he should have apologized. I truly believe if he had sincerely apologized back then he would have stayed in the house. But if he hadn't apologized back then he should at least have been able to really hear Tami and hear what she was saying and her discussion about her body dysmorphia and her embarrassment and put it together with other things going on at the time (wiring her jaws shut) and understood the full picture now and been like "OK. Now I hear you. I understand and I'm truly sorry." But instead he's just fake laughing and making fun of her mental issues. He's an ass. 

• Love 7

They put the first episode up on YouTube like with NY, so I just watched it.  The difference between David's reaction and everyone else's to watching footage of "the blanket incident" is staggering, even as it doesn't really surprise me based on him coming in there talking about how "they" have explaining to do and he wants an apology from everyone.  He has firmly cast himself as the victim for so long, he's completely impervious to the facts of the situation.

Everyone else, watching with eyes that have had nearly 30 years more experience and in a society that has finally started to talk about these issues a little more honestly, is somber and uncomfortable, understanding the magnitude of what happened then and what it is to sit and revisit it now.  Irene feels remorse over what she didn't do, Jon is embarrassed at having been part of it, and then here's David still characterizing it as everyone was having a good time.

Tami even flat-out states what every adult should know, which is that laughter is sometimes used (especially in women) to cover discomfort, awkwardness, and not knowing what to do in a situation, and then gets far more personal than she should have to, explaining some background that contributed to her reaction AND OFFERS HIM A PASS since he didn't know that her body dysmorphia would make being exposed all that much worse.  But he's still on his worn 27-year-old script and insists it was funny because she was laughing.  

She explains again why she was laughing, and his reaction is to insist everyone watch it again so he can sit there and laugh like he's watching the funniest movie of all time.  My gods, when Tami sits there with more cool than I could have maintained and grants that he could have thought it was this while she felt it was that - "we were 20-something years old; one situation, two different perspectives" - but they are sitting here now at 50 years old and she has told him what she felt at the time and how she feels now, that it was not and is not funny, and he's sitting there laughing?  I am just infuriated and exhausted on her behalf and as a woman; there are few things more aggravating and disheartening than clearly explaining what happened to you to a man who experiences it differently, and having him deny your lived experience right to your face.  "It's not/it wasn't like that" when you have just painstakingly explained that it is/was like that for you, and why, is maddening; your reality is completely dismissed, as if you never spoke it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 16

David's mental maturity is clearly stunted.

Glen and Beth A looked like they were on a day pass from their nursing home when they were riding around looking for the house.

Remembering how the guys treated Beth S gives me a soft spot for her. I wonder what her secret is. She's barely aged.

I've seen Tami in some episodes of Basketball Wives and it looks like she is ready to bring some of that crazy to the Real World. I do have to commend her though on how she approached the whole situation with David and the blanket. He could have just stayed silent and let her take the responsibility because of her personal issues but that was too easy. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, keke23 said:

Remembering how the guys treated Beth S gives me a soft spot for her. I wonder what her secret is. She's barely aged.

I'm sure she's had a lot of assistance in that department.  And I am in no way shading her for that, she looks like a good-looking older version of the woman we met in '93, not someone desperate to still look that young.  If that's a route someone wants to go down, there's a lot to be said for restraint.

• Love 2

I think Beth S grew into her looks.  Back in 93, she still looked like a teen that hadn't fully matured.

Irene looks good..though I do admit missing her '93 hair.  

Beth A sometimes looks youthful...and other times I'm seeing she's 50+.  Fascinating.

Thinking back on season 2, had Tami not been on the show...what memorable moments would we have?  She was the MVP of season 2... with Irene's wedding planning and wedding being the only other content offered.

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 4

Ep2:

I am glad they addressed David agressively flashing himself at the women in the hallway, and how his previous behavior in the house contributed to him leaving, and I'm sure the video footage of his own behavior also hurt his reputation a bit, not just that Beth and Irene said the word rape. I was surprised to see this discussion concluded with hugs all around, though we know the peace doesn't last.  

I feel like I didn't need that scene with David's daughter, it added nothing (except showing his daughter on camera) and came at a time when I was eager to see what was happening in the house.

I feel for Tami, I've felt similarly in for instance a group therapy situation that I had shared really vulnerable things that were brushed aside. But I think people just become awkward and uncomfortable in a group setting when you share something intense, especially if they aren't familiar with it themselves, so people will often prioritize getting through the moment and waiting for their turn to speak on the topic at hand. I find it is much more satisfying and rewarding to share with someone I really trust one on one.  In group situations, you have to take what you can get, if two people validated you right away, that's still a lot.

From the preview it looks like next week there's still more footage from this long day. 

• Love 2
On 11/25/2021 at 5:14 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Never really knew why Irene scheduled her marriage when she knew the show would be filming, but now it sounds like she was miserable and felt unaccepted because she was a LEO, so she and her fiancé moved the wedding date up so she'd have an excuse to leave gracefully.

I recall reading an interview with Bunim-Murray somewhere years ago (if my brain isn’t failing me) that they specifically cast someone who was getting married because they wanted to make that a storyline on the LA season.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2021 at 10:14 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I will still never understand what made the house choose Glen as a roommate back then and he's still off-putting as well. There's an arrogance to him despite nothing about him standing out as a reason for ego.

If memory serves, they were given three potentials to pick from, just as San Fran was given three to replace Puck.  I do not remember a damned thing about the third one, but one was on the track team at UCLA and they all thought he was gay.  Perhaps he would have been too similar to Aaron.

Glen was a very specific early 90s grunge archetype--the whole "I don't want to sell out my art. I'm spiritual but not religious" thing.  My emerging queerness would have been very attracted to him back then.  But he had such an ugly personality in the end.  But I can see why on the surface he would have been appealing.

• Love 4