Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: Los Angeles (2022)

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, gesundheit said:

One could say it follows the fast downward spiral of reality TV at the same rate it did the first time, but I do think later seasons of the first handful did actually have more substance to offer. Not many more seasons, but some.

San Francisco would make for an interesting reunion.    Though I could see a number of people refusing to attend if Puck was invited. 

1 hour ago, EdnasEdibles said:

So considering Beth's ability to piss off people wherever she goes, maybe she shouldn't be so smug about being on her first marriage. Be quietly grateful. Quietly think in your head "I don't want to get divorced so I will work as hard as I can to make sure that doesn't happen and hopefully my husband will do the same." but to say all of that shit out loud? No. 

I am curious what she is like off camera.  13 years is a long time to be married, and she has kids.  Sometimes I feel for her, like when Davis is calling her "Karen," and throwing a fit, but then other times, like with John and Irene, I see how she sabotages herself.  While it sounded like John's reason for not officiating Beth's wedding may have been more money related than he admitted, I understood the difference between a wedding and a vow renewal.  I did not get why Beth kept pressing the issue, or what she hoped to accomplish.

• Love 1
On 12/15/2021 at 2:53 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Damn Irene, four marriages?!  I wonder if she is as friendly to the 3rd husband as she is to Tim….I recall reading how when marrying for the 3rd time there was a initial challenge blending the other’s kids to get along.

Beth, do you see why people tend to shy away from your ass?  Sheesh, this was IRENE’s day, not yours!  She should have pulled Jon aside if she’s still feeling a kind of way about him not officiating her wedding.  As for Jon’s virginity, I have a relative that’s almost 60 and is still a virgin.  She wanted to wait until she got married but it didn’t happen.

I hate smokers, I think it is inconfuckingsiderate to sit at a goddamned table where people are eating and smoke/vape/whatever!  If you need to that badly, get up and go outside with that shit!

As someone named Karen, this calling an angry woman ‘Karen’ has gotten way out of fucking hand and I so resent it!  David, you didn’t like Glen calling you ‘Dave’, why go there calling Beth ‘Karen’?

Thank you! I love your entire post, but especially the last paragraph. I am also a Karen and so over all the "Karen" shit. It's obnoxious and stupid. And of course I'm not allowed to be annoyed about it because, well, then I'm just being a "Karen".

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

This show is so irritating. People are not saying what they should be, unless it's just the editing, which is possible. Other people had an issue with David smoking/vaping at the table where they were eating. I saw Tami smoking away from the group. Did anyone point out that difference to him? Beth A. said she didn't want to make a big deal about it, but I don't think Beth S.'s request was at all out of line or making it a big deal. I think it's common sense and common courtesy to not blow smoke or vape or whatever, at a table where people are eating and David's reaction is once again showing what kind of person he is. All of them should have said, "Hey, don't take it out on Beth, she's just voicing what a few of us also think." Ugh.

Beth being upset that Jon didn't officiate her wedding but is doing Irene's vow renewal was somewhat understandable but not cool to insinuate that she's more deserving because she's only been married once compared to Irene's multiple. Right in front of Irene? Really. Beth definitely doesn't come off looking good sometimes but I really don't think she deserves what David is doing. And I also agree, he can't complain about being called a different name and then act like a child calling Beth Karen. Just stop.

• Love 7

Ok, so why does Irene get a filmed/free vow renewal? I don't get it, she was on the show less than half the season & let's face it, by the fourth time,, it can't be that special.

I do think Beth was legimately hurt that Jon skipped her wedding, so watching him agree to be part of Irene's was just salt in the wound. Plus, I'm sure everyone was a little pissed that Irene was given this gift. Sorry, but a vow renewal on a fourth wedding is not cause for it to be "Irene's (very special) day" where no one should take attention off her. 

Heck, maybe Jon is vying to be husband #5?

• Love 6

I am no Beth fan but Jon’s reason for not doing her wedding was self-righteous and annoying. He didn’t know if her union was ordained by God??? I would be insulted too. 

Also David’s Karen “joke” is old and tired. He seemed overly pleased with himself over that and the joke was so uncreative and pedestrian. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, angelamh66 said:

I am no Beth fan but Jon’s reason for not doing her wedding was self-righteous and annoying. He didn’t know if her union was ordained by God??? I would be insulted too. 

Also David’s Karen “joke” is old and tired. He seemed overly pleased with himself over that and the joke was so uncreative and pedestrian. 

Not a good sign for a standup comedian.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Most of all, I'm with Irene on the question of why Beth needs Tami's approval so badly. It's very striking the way Beth speaks to Tami vs her attitude toward pretty much anyone else. This is the same person who's reveled in being the challenge villain, who's very outspoken and loud in her confessionals, but the minute she's around Tami, she acts like a dog hoping for approval and treats that are never coming. It's so odd.

I haven't thought about this cast in ages (but like others have said, once you dive back in, it's as if you can recall the entire show even though you can't remember what you had for lunch yesterday, LOL), but I think I may have finally figured Beth S. out: she's a follower (obviously), not a leader, but she very much always wants to be part of the inner circle of whomever the leader(s) is/are. And Tami, while she wasn't a Queen Bee, was definitely an alpha (your dog analogy is not wrong). I recall now that I used to find her talking heads a bit fake; now, I think that back then, she was projecting whatever image she thought she needed and saying whatever she thought she had to say in order to fit in with whomever was "on top" at any given moment, and that's why they read as a bit fake to me. That way, she would always be in with the good crowd, and could never be scolded or found to be "wrong" about something. (This is, of course, just my own humble opinion.) Plus I think she idolized Tami just a bit, and therefore she wanted her idol to think she was cool.

It now helps me understand just how she pivoted so dang fast during the blanket incident (or maybe it was the bash of the door to her head); she was roaring along with everyone else (David WAS right about that) until Tami was able to express her objection in a way that didn't involve shrieking (and I'm not blaming Tami at ALL here; the way David was YANKING and DRAGGING her so forcefully, I would have been surprised if anyone in her situation would have been able to get out anything coherent until it stopped). The instant she picked up on Tami's mood, Beth's stance didn't just change; it changed to appear as if that's how Beth had been feeling all along.

BTW, I still feel about that incident the same way I did back then: the blanket incident, with all its misunderstandings and ridiculous misuse of the word rape, should not have been the reason David was kicked out of the house; it should have been because of his MULTIPLE incidents of aggression, with the blanket merely being the final straw.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:12 PM, snarts said:

Ok, so why does Irene get a filmed/free vow renewal? I don't get it, she was on the show less than half the season & let's face it, by the fourth time,, it can't be that special.

I do think Beth was legimately hurt that Jon skipped her wedding, so watching him agree to be part of Irene's was just salt in the wound. Plus, I'm sure everyone was a little pissed that Irene was given this gift. Sorry, but a vow renewal on a fourth wedding is not cause for it to be "Irene's (very special) day" where no one should take attention off her. 

Heck, maybe Jon is vying to be husband #5?

And why does this miserable cast get a boat ride when the joyfilled, loving OG cast didn't? SMH.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2021 at 11:02 PM, seltzer3 said:

I understand why Tami was upset at the three originals (but more specifically Beth).  Beth and Irene have quite the gossipy/instigator syndrome (and it looks like it continues in the next episode).  Tami I remember felt like Beth was frustrating because she was a fence sitter, and it really show.  I think from Tami's perspective Beth S. is really performative.  Its not that because she's a people pleaser, but it seems like she does things so people can view her in a certain way.  Like when she "defended" Tami, while a part of it is genuine, a part of it was trying to want Tami to view her as being caring (if that makes sense).  That's also probably why a lot of people on the challenge with Beth probably really hated her.

Yes yes! This, 100%. I think that's why people don't trust her (it's probably only been a couple of people, but why does it feel like dozens have stated "I don't trust Beth?" LOL). Even if they think she's being genuine, there's just something about it that rings the alarm bells in the back of your head to give you pause.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, seawind said:

And why does this miserable cast get a boat ride when the joyfilled, loving OG cast didn't? SMH.

Because people were being more cautious re:COVID when NY Homecoming was filming. I don't think they were trying to reward LA

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/20/2021 at 6:32 PM, docmatt said:

Because people were being more cautious re:COVID when NY Homecoming was filming. I don't think they were trying to reward LA

New York was filmed in December/January.  It would have been a very cold yacht outing.  This was also pre-vaccine, so they were likely limiting the cast's exposure to third parties as much as they could.   

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

New York was filmed in December/January.  It would have been a very cold yacht outing.  This was also pre-vaccine, so they were likely limiting the cast's exposure to third parties as much as they could.   

Especially where Eric wasn’t able to fully participate because of infection.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:12 PM, snarts said:

The whole Jon/Beth wedding thing seemed to be a lack of communication. I can understand Jon following his mentor's advice if he felt that strongly about it, but it sounded to me like officiating the wedding would have come with maybe a paid plane ticket/hotel room and once he was back to regular guest status, those things weren't on the table anymore and he didn't want to admit he couldn't afford it. 

But it was tacky as hell to complain that her one marriage was more meaningful than Irene's renewal because of Irene's track record right in front of Irene. Yet again, Beth is pushing her way into the center of the conversation and refusing to drop it despite Jon's repeated explanations. 

Moving on to this episode, I was watching Beth S's face all through that conversation where Irene, then Beth A admitted to having had abortions. I couldn't decide if I thought she was judging them or if she had a secret as well. And then she goes out and tells Tami on the side that yes, she also had one. I think it's something that no one is obligated to share, so if she didn't feel comfortable telling the whole group, telling Tami by herself (yet in front of the cameras) seemed like yet another bid for Tami's attention. One that yet again didn't land that well given that it made Beth look like a liar for things she said back then.

The Joshua Tree trip...well, at least Eric Nies got his chance to participate in a reunion in person, too bad it had to be this group! I find Eric Nies, Spiritual Healer, a bit hard to take, he looks like he's smirking while he utters his lines. But it was nice that he got his moment and I know he and Jon go way back, so good for them.

It doesn't seem like they had much material from that trip, maybe cause Tami didn't go? The Glen and the mouse stuff...not sure what to make of that. Kimberly died by suicide, right? That's the piece of the story that he's tiptoeing around, I assume. 

• Love 2
On 12/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, seawind said:

BTW, I still feel about that incident the same way I did back then: the blanket incident, with all its misunderstandings and ridiculous misuse of the word rape, should not have been the reason David was kicked out of the house; it should have been because of his MULTIPLE incidents of aggression, with the blanket merely being the final straw.

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Love 4
On 12/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, txhorns79 said:

I know, I know. But still. I just hate seeing my favorites miss out. Especially on top of BeckyGate. I hope they all eventually were/will be able to reunite with Eric.

So here's something interesting: all this nostalgia made me go hunting for the recording of the reunion they did in 1996 on MTV with the first 4 casts. In that special, Tami and David saw each other for the first time since living together, and they talked and made amends. They made up! By the end of it, Tami was even standing with her arm around him. And while I remembered a lot about that special, I'd completely forgotten all about that part. So I wonder now, why was it treated on Homecoming as if their making up never even happened? (I get that back then, Tami still hadn't disclosed her body dysmorphia, but still.) And the other cast members were there as well (except for Dom and Aaron, of course), so they knew what took place and they also had the opportunity to speak with David and spend time with him. Did that reconciliation somehow go POOF by the time Homecoming came around?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

One that yet again didn't land that well given that it made Beth look like a liar for things she said back then.

I just posted above about the reunion special they did in '96 on MTV; in it, Tami confronts Beth about remarks in the press that Beth supposedly made insisting that Tami married her husband for money. 😆 Which Beth, of course, denies, but not very convincingly.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, seawind said:

I just posted above about the reunion special they did in '96 on MTV; in it, Tami confronts Beth about remarks in the press that Beth supposedly made insisting that Tami married her husband for money. 😆 Which Beth, of course, denies, but not very convincingly.

I have a VHS of one of those reunions, it's probably that one. I'll have to dig out my VCR and watch it. I hope I didn't throw the tapes away! 

I feel like I remember that vaguely, Beth was like "come on Tami, you know the press makes things up..." which, while not untrue that celebs get stuff said about them that's not true, it's both highly unlikely that Beth S from RW:LA was at such a level, and highly likely that Beth ran her mouth around the wrong people.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I have a VHS of one of those reunions, it's probably that one. I'll have to dig out my VCR and watch it. I hope I didn't throw the tapes away! 

I feel like I remember that vaguely, Beth was like "come on Tami, you know the press makes things up..." which, while not untrue that celebs get stuff said about them that's not true, it's both highly unlikely that Beth S from RW:LA was at such a level, and highly likely that Beth ran her mouth around the wrong people.

I have my VHS tapes too, LOL! But have no fear... it's on YT :) Just look up "Real World Reunion 1996 MTV with commercials"

Re: Beth, she said "You know what, Tami? You should know that you should never believe anything that you see in print." With a smile on her face, too.

ETA: See the attached proof of said VHS :-) #oldschool

PXL_20211224_000938442.MP.jpg

Edited by seawind
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, seawind said:

I know, I know. But still. I just hate seeing my favorites miss out. Especially on top of BeckyGate. I hope they all eventually were/will be able to reunite with Eric.

So here's something interesting: all this nostalgia made me go hunting for the recording of the reunion they did in 1996 on MTV with the first 4 casts. In that special, Tami and David saw each other for the first time since living together, and they talked and made amends. They made up! By the end of it, Tami was even standing with her arm around him. And while I remembered a lot about that special, I'd completely forgotten all about that part. So I wonder now, why was it treated on Homecoming as if their making up never even happened? (I get that back then, Tami still hadn't disclosed her body dysmorphia, but still.) And the other cast members were there as well (except for Dom and Aaron, of course), so they knew what took place and they also had the opportunity to speak with David and spend time with him. Did that reconciliation somehow go POOF by the time Homecoming came around?

There has been some weird revisions with this season.  Like the fact that Beth S and David were in battle of the Sexes and Beth S claimed that she never saw David since the 90s (and was going to be on battle the seasons but David dropped out), so it seemed like they were on friendly terms.

In this episode Beth A was apologizing to Tami for not sharing she had an abortion when Tami shared.  Except Beth A wasn't even in that episode (as she didn't even moved in when Tami shared)?  So that was really confusing.

I would say in some strange reason I do like this season.  I think what makes it interesting is how everyone has highs and lows (you like one person one day then hate them the next).  So its nice in reality tv to see a lot of complexity as opposed to the stereotype good guys villains that reality tv generally does.

Edited by seltzer3
  • Love 2

I might be a Beth apologist but I feel like she was uncomfortable sharing her abortion story in front of Jon. You could tell from her face in the group setting that it was weighing on her. Yes, he's going to learn about it from watching, but she doesn't have to face him. 

I also thought the editing after her conversation with Tami was odd. Beth was completely supportive of her decision in 1993, both to her face & in her confessional comments. While she also called Tami fake at some point during the season, it had nothing to do with the pregnancy/abortion. 

Bottom line, I feel like they're all so uninteresting, there's no one to root for, and the editors feel the same way. Which is why they keep sending them on trips. Oh, and let's bring in Eric Nies! 

Edited to add, in the video Glen shared of Kim, that was a baby squirrel/chipmunk, not a mouse. 

Edited by snarts
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, snarts said:

I also thought the editing after her conversation with Tami was odd. Beth was completely supportive of her decision in 1993, both to her face & in her confessional comments. While she also called Tami fake at some point during the season, it had nothing to do with the pregnancy/abortion. 

True.  I felt like they wanted to suggest a conflict when there wasn't one to be had.  I didn't understand why Tami was calling Beth a liar in the talking head?  Did I miss something where Beth S. had claimed never to have an abortion?  I was surprised that all four women on the show had abortions at some point.

3 hours ago, snarts said:

Oh, and let's bring in Eric Nies! 

I did appreciate that they all reacted to him like he was magical.  I thought maybe the producers were trying to make it up to him because he spent his Homecoming season isolated with Covid. 

I give Tami some credit.  She knows how to be a reality tv performer and tries to keep things interesting.  I appreciated her reaction to hearing about the mouse and Glen by being grossed out over it. 

And as for Glen, what exactly did happen to Kim?  I say this knowing that it really is not my business, but he's so cryptic about it.

• Love 4

Was looking for Ghosts and saw this so of course I binging it.  

I’m glad blanket-gate was mostly resolved.  Just reminds me of how I was not connected with any of this cast other than being excited about the Real World in general because it was so different at the time.  Also looking forward to NOLA.  

Tami is still insufferable and this reminds me why I never wanted to watch her in anything else, although she had some of the most difficult storylines.  I seem to remember Beth S. always being sketchy.  Wasn’t there something about her lying about her Hollywood connections way back when?  She looks great, though. David should’ve just pulled a Dom and Aaron. He’s got major issues.

The vow renewal was weird.  Other than Jon, why would Irene want any of those other folks there?  

So was Kim suicidal?  I’m still confused.

Also, what in the Hilaria Baldwin am I watching in Joshua Tree? I know there’s an indigenous person there but I still feel a little appropriation…is Dana Ron’s real sister or just spiritual?

Edited by For Cereals
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

Wasn’t there something about her lying about her Hollywood connections way back when?  

In one of the books, the producers said that Beth S. had not been forthcoming about wanting to be an actress (in the beginning of the season, she is working as a PA, then later makes her interest in acting more obvious).  They said if they had known, she would not have been cast. 

8 hours ago, snarts said:

I might be a Beth apologist but I feel like she was uncomfortable sharing her abortion story in front of Jon. You could tell from her face in the group setting that it was weighing on her. Yes, he's going to learn about it from watching, but she doesn't have to face him. 

Bottom line, I feel like they're all so uninteresting, there's no one to root for, and the editors feel the same way. Which is why they keep sending them on trips. Oh, and let's bring in Eric Nies! 

I can't remember for sure, but I think Beth may have said something like "it's not a choice I would personally make, but I support Tami's right to choose" or something like that. For some reason, that's how I remember it, but I could definitely be wrong.

I think they may have loaded this one up with trips as insurance against possible stonewalling by the cast. It's a weird mashup of people who never lived together, those who lived together for a short time, and those who lived together a long time but had nothing to say to each other. So in case they all got there and conversations stalled out, they'd have trips to fall back on. And they also had the benefit of things being more open and travel being easier when they were filming.

But also, this season was the first to get a few whole-group trips, the only thing the NYC cast got was the girls-only vacation. It would have been kinda funny if the reunion show had sent just Julie, Becky, and Heather somewhere to recreate the unfairness of their Jamaica trip, lol. Maybe they would have if not for Covid.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, txhorns79 said:

San Francisco would make for an interesting reunion.    Though I could see a number of people refusing to attend if Puck was invited. 

But without Puck, would MTV even care to air a RW:SF reunion? I remember Puck's obnoxious, entitled ass, as does everyone who watched that season. I remember Pedro (RIP, even if he got waaaay too sanctimonious at times). I kinda remember Judd and Rachel. Don't remember anyone else except Pedro's boyfriend, who wasn't even a cast member.

As for Jon: I do think he, like every human adult, should experience sex at least once in his life.

ETA: I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed "Cannonball" by The Breeders, which was playing during the bowling sequence.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
On 12/27/2021 at 9:58 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

But without Puck, would MTV even care to air a RW:SF reunion? I remember Puck's obnoxious, entitled ass, as does everyone who watched that season. I remember Pedro (RIP, even if he got waaaay too sanctimonious at times). I kinda remember Judd and Rachel. Don't remember anyone else except Pedro's boyfriend, who wasn't even a cast member.

As for Jon: I do think he, like every human adult, should experience sex at least once in his life.

ETA: I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed "Cannonball" by The Breeders, which was playing during the bowling sequence.

I wonder if Rachel would participate. My immediate reaction is there's no way she'd leave her 9 kids and position at Fox (?). However, I could see her considering it as another avenue to spread her political views (albeit it to a small audience). If MTV is going to continue this through the seasons, her husband Sean will have the same decision to make in a year or two. Guess it will depend on how his lobbying/political/pundit careers are going.

The fact that Jon wasn't confronted by anyone back home for the confederate flag remark* speaks volumes (*which we now know he never said).

Kim's obituary

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 2

I was mostly bored this episode.  Jon's failed country music career isn't very interesting, even if I did feel for him when he was talking about his dead father.  I don't care about Beth S.'s eyelash line, and even when they were do-gooding with the Angel Food Deliveries, it was boring. 

Things did perk up at the end, and I'm very interested to see where that goes.  Glen certainly didn't shower himself with glory.  I was impressed with Tami's ability to remain calm and poised throughout the discussion because I kept expecting things to degrade into a yelling match and they did not. 

I am very intrigued by next week's preview! 

• Love 1

I thought there was extensive screentime already devoted to the story of Jon's career change in an earlier episode, I didnt need to see it told a second time in a different way.  Less would have been more, I'm no longer interested in hearing from these people.

• Love 1

It would've been nice to hear how they managed career-wise after the show, not just John. 

Props to Tami on keeping that discussion civil, was Glen being purposely obtuse?. I'm with John in that it was little late to start that game, especially after a long day and night out with some of them drinking. 

I'm also shocked at how much I'm enjoying Beth A and her commentary. She's a calming presence in this hot mess of a cast.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 6
On 12/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, snarts said:

Edited to add, in the video Glen shared of Kim, that was a baby squirrel/chipmunk, not a mouse. 

Agreed on both counts. First, it seemed clear to me that Jon was the issue there. Yes, he can know, if he doesn't already he'll obviously know after watching the show. But I can see her not wanting to have to deal with that with him. That's fair.

I feel sorry for her, she's obviously just very insecure, it doesn't make her a bad person. The confusion about what kind of rodent that was was driving me nuts, though. Why did Beth tell Tami it was a rat? I don't expect everyone to be able to identify every kind of rodent but come on. Nobody called it a rat when it was there. Didn't look like a mouse either, but nobody thought it was a rat and it's kind of obvious that if you tell a story and turn the cute little gerbil-like thing into a rat, it's not going to get a great reaction. And then it was kind of sad that Tami responded with disgust and Beth shifted to basically "oh yeah, it was the worst, I wanted to scream" after having tried to introduce it as a meaningful story. She just aches to be liked and it kind of breaks my heart.

And yes, in the video of Kim, definitely not a mouse!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Glade said:

I thought there was extensive screentime already devoted to the story of Jon's career change in an earlier episode, I didnt need to see it told a second time in a different way.  Less would have been more, I'm no longer interested in hearing from these people.

His singing is good enough for karaoke but not really professional level.  And the songs are trite.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Also: didn't the LA cast see the NYC reunion? Why did Glen see that and decide, "The best plan for me is to be The Becky of my reunion, since that went great?"

One thing that's really odd to me is that this reunion does not seem to take place in 2021 Los Angeles. I know the public Covid response varies wildly by geography, but I just can't wrap my brain around the... basically nothing that goes on during the span of this show specifically in LA. They are delivering meals to AIDS and cancer patients unmasked (except somehow David, of all people)? 

On the other hand, they might be doing massive amount of precautions and testing right before a scene starts shooting like they do on scripted shows, who knows. Hard to know how much of this is elaborately staged or just-a-little-staged.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

Agreed on both counts. First, it seemed clear to me that Jon was the issue there. Yes, he can know, if he doesn't already he'll obviously know after watching the show. But I can see her not wanting to have to deal with that with him. That's fair.

I feel sorry for her, she's obviously just very insecure, it doesn't make her a bad person. The confusion about what kind of rodent that was was driving me nuts, though. Why did Beth tell Tami it was a rat? I don't expect everyone to be able to identify every kind of rodent but come on. Nobody called it a rat when it was there. Didn't look like a mouse either, but nobody thought it was a rat and it's kind of obvious that if you tell a story and turn the cute little gerbil-like thing into a rat, it's not going to get a great reaction. And then it was kind of sad that Tami responded with disgust and Beth shifted to basically "oh yeah, it was the worst, I wanted to scream" after having tried to introduce it as a meaningful story. She just aches to be liked and it kind of breaks my heart.

And yes, in the video of Kim, definitely not a mouse!

I thought it was a chipmunk but maybe it was a kangaroo rat?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_rat

4 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Also: didn't the LA cast see the NYC reunion? Why did Glen see that and decide, "The best plan for me is to be The Becky of my reunion, since that went great?"

One thing that's really odd to me is that this reunion does not seem to take place in 2021 Los Angeles. I know the public Covid response varies wildly by geography, but I just can't wrap my brain around the... basically nothing that goes on during the span of this show specifically in LA. They are delivering meals to AIDS and cancer patients unmasked (except somehow David, of all people)? 

On the other hand, they might be doing massive amount of precautions and testing right before a scene starts shooting like they do on scripted shows, who knows. Hard to know how much of this is elaborately staged or just-a-little-staged.

It was probably filmed in those few months after vaccines were widely available but before Delta (May to July?).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, MrBuhBye said:

It was probably filmed in those few months after vaccines were widely available but before Delta (May to July?).

It probably was, but it's specifically the food preparation and delivering to the most vulnerable people unmasked that felt really bizarre (the rest of it definitely seems like it was in that blissful window, though, yes!).

• Love 4

Beth has annoyed me since 1993 and I can’t even necessarily put my finger on why exactly. I was in college when the show was on and she reminded me of people there who also annoyed me — “popularity”-driven, cringe-worthy pests who seemed to think they were edgier/prettier/funnier/more unique than they actually were* and who, instead of just calming down and being their own default selves, they tried (and failed) harder and harder. And it often came off kind of bitchy and catty when they tried to be the above-mentioned things.

*As a grownup, I know all that was just general insecurity and some kind of belief that “default self” was not good enough, so I do feel bad for being so judgmental. However, it was annoying (and I was also just a dumb kid then too)!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, gesundheit said:

She just aches to be liked and it kind of breaks my heart.

I haven't seen this beyond the first episode since I don't have the streaming service, but that's how she was in the original series - and then her mom came to visit, and it was painfully clear why.  Her dad died, and her mom not only had to work a lot, but also clearly chose to work even more and - and I think this is what affected Beth the most - just blatantly said no, I don't miss you.

At an age when most young adults were dealing with parents having difficulty adjusting to the fact their kids were well and truly ensconced in their own lives now and couldn't/wouldn't make a lot of time for them, Beth was the one saying, "I would just like to spend some time with you" and her mom shrugging it off with "Eh, we don't like to do the same things".

Her neediness was tiring, and I can't imagine living with the melodramatic quests for attention, but I understood why she was like that.

It's sad to read she's still like that.  Just be you, Beth, accept you're not everyone's cup of tea, and stop trying so hard. (Is it possible she's reverting to that dynamic because she's around people she lived with at that age [I know she's been on Challenges in the years since, but I haven't seen her since RW]?)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Beth has annoyed me since 1993 and I can’t even necessarily put my finger on why exactly. I was in college when the show was on and she reminded me of people there who also annoyed me — “popularity”-driven, cringe-worthy pests who seemed to think they were edgier/prettier/funnier/more unique than they actually were* and who, instead of just calming down and being their own default selves, they tried (and failed) harder and harder. And it often came off kind of bitchy and catty when they tried to be the above-mentioned things.

*As a grownup, I know all that was just general insecurity and some kind of belief that “default self” was not good enough, so I do feel bad for being so judgmental. However, it was annoying (and I was also just a dumb kid then too)!

This is how I feel about Beth. And I can understand why people are the way they are and I can feel for what they've gone through to be who they are and yet I can still not want to be around them. And that's also how I feel about Beth. There are a lot of folks out there who have been through some shit and I get it and I get how that affected them but I don't want to be around it. 

The eyelash line was so insane. Fake eyelashes that are like an eyelift. I can't. I just can't. 

The entire police/BLM/I don't see race conversation was insane. Tammy was being as patient as she can be but at the same time, don't bother. Don't make yourself crazy. In this day and age when someone says "I don't see color" or a white person who uses the N word  . . . nope. You can not reason with someone like that. Don't bother. Lost cause. Glen is so convinced he is correct, he's not even listening.

These people are all maddening. 

• Love 4
On 12/24/2021 at 9:30 PM, ljenkins782 said:

But also, this season was the first to get a few whole-group trips, the only thing the NYC cast got was the girls-only vacation. It would have been kinda funny if the reunion show had sent just Julie, Becky, and Heather somewhere to recreate the unfairness of their Jamaica trip, lol. Maybe they would have if not for Covid.

I thought about this same thing. Before the NY Homecoming show revealed that Eric wasn't there, I was thinking how great it would be if they could send all of them somewhere fun to make up for the Jamaica trip that the boys didn't get to enjoy back then. Oh well. At least Heather brought an entire bar along with her. :-)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Her neediness was tiring, and I can't imagine living with the melodramatic quests for attention, but I understood why she was like that.

It's sad to read she's still like that.  Just be you, Beth, accept you're not everyone's cup of tea, and stop trying so hard. (Is it possible she's reverting to that dynamic because she's around people she lived with at that age [I know she's been on Challenges in the years since, but I haven't seen her since RW]?)

In fairness, I don't get the impression that she really is still like that for the most part, just that she's backsliding in certain situations here for obvious reasons. There are several moments where you can see how much she's grown. I think Tami is a real sticking point for her, unfortunately. She was hoping they'd both show up adults and she wouldn't get rejected again, and she got rejected, so she's totally reverted.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, seawind said:

I have my VHS tapes too, LOL! But have no fear... it's on YT :) Just look up "Real World Reunion 1996 MTV with commercials"

Re: Beth, she said "You know what, Tami? You should know that you should never believe anything that you see in print." With a smile on her face, too.

ETA: See the attached proof of said VHS :-) #oldschool

PXL_20211224_000938442.MP.jpg

Thanks for the Youtube tip, I took a trip down memory lane with that one, not just the show but the commercials were a trip. A very young Amanda Peet in a Secret commercial  (strong enough for a man, pH balanced for a woman...), SO many commercials for long-distance phone carriers and calling cards, LOL. That was really entertaining. 

It was also interesting to see the NY cast and LA cast after their seasons but still so young and immature. Hilariously, Julie did a riff about the other casts sucking, similar to the drunken one she did on the Homecoming NY season. 

And yes, Tami and David DID have a moment of forgiveness over the blanket incident, but they were only a year out. I think there was lingering fallout in both their lives for years afterward, so it's not entirely surprising that it wasn't completely resolved. There was also an infuriating moment with Beth S where an audience member asked if she regretted using the word rape and escalating the incident and she shrugged it off entirely, saying "you know, I really haven't given much of a thought to that whole thing over the last year." It was obnoxious and oblivious of the potential ramifications her words or actions might have had.

Also, an audience member asked if Irene's marriage was happy and if she had any kids since the show. As we now know, the answers are no and yes, respectively. Was a bit sad to hear Jon talk about signing with Capitol Records and his enthusiasm for his upcoming album, etc, knowing how that deal turned out in the end.

The eyelash line was so insane. Fake eyelashes that are like an eyelift. I can't. I just can't. 

Beth is not a great salesperson and definitely not an actress, no wonder she never made any traction there. Her "spontaneous" eyelash session with Beth A was so stilted and awkward. Beth A was very gracious and game to help Beth S advertise her stuff, but it was painfully obvious. Also saw Glenn (surprisingly) helping out with a sticker on the back of his phone with some kind of eyelash business name (assuming that's Beth's business). 

The BLM conversation was insane, though I had to admit to giggling a tiny bit at Tami's exasperation when Irene went and dropped the N-bomb minutes after Glenn had done it. Her face was priceless. Also, who doesn't know that you don't drop that word into conversation?? Where have those 2 been that they don't know that? 

I was fascinated by David's admission that Jon never said anything about a Confederate flag. First, I was surprised that he volunteered that because it didn't seem like anyone doubted his account, but I was also intrigued by the fact that Jon himself wasn't even sure. It does make sense to a degree, young Jon had a bit of a mouth on him and I could see him saying that as a retort to something he felt was stereotyping him as a southerner. 

• Love 6

I keep watching this, and I am sure that I don't actually like any of these people. But I have to say that I do genuinely respect Jon. He seems to be someone who truly lives by his values even when selling them out might have been easier. And he doesn't blame others for his failures. I probably wouldn't hang out with him, but I'd be good with my kids going to his youth group. 

• Love 10

David is still terrible, and yeah, pacing behind someone speaking passive agressive threats into your phone is beyond disrespectful.  I'd rather have watched Beth A's son/Irene's nephew then see Tami's husband storm through the house; though it was fascinating seeing that unaired footage and how Tami and the producers reacted the exact same way to David 30 years ago... I agree with Tami's perspective but not with that action.

But I look forward to seeing the transgender teens next week. I barely remembered Beth A from the original show, but I definitely like her now (and certainly don't blame her for not meshing with these people back then.). I have this weird feeling that I've seen/encountered her in some other context though, now that I've learned we live on the same island.

• Love 3

Tami definitely knows how to get as much camera time as possible. What else would explain calling Reggie, getting him pumped up to confront David, then telling him he couldn't do anything after he arrived...? Gotta say I loved the nonchalant reaction of the roomies as they went on making lunch and cracking jokes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Glade said:

David is still terrible, and yeah, pacing behind someone speaking passive agressive threats into your phone is beyond disrespectful.  I'd rather have watched Beth A's son/Irene's nephew then see Tami's husband storm through the house; though it was fascinating seeing that unaired footage and how Tami and the producers reacted the exact same way to David 30 years ago... I agree with Tami's perspective but not with that action.

But I look forward to seeing the transgender teens next week. I barely remembered Beth A from the original show, but I definitely like her now (and certainly don't blame her for not meshing with these people back then.). I have this weird feeling that I've seen/encountered her in some other context though, now that I've learned we live on the same island.

I look forward to being beyond bored next week. Gender/sexuality conversations are not really that interesting to me. I'm glad for those that feel represented and that being who you are is being more normalized in media. But, especially with this young generation coming up, someone being Trans, bisexuality, pansexual, gender non comforming, etc is just becoming standard. Not groundbreaking or less heard of as it was 30 years. That is good but doesn't make it interesting tv to me.

Yes David was disrespectful. BUT, Tami should let him have his own damn opinions and stop trying to change him. Also, he is not wrong about divisions being created between groups are just created blinders to the bigger picture and bigger issues. Not saying one has to stay in their lane like David said but making a whole group or race of people the enemy isn't helping anything either.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4

^^^^

FACTS TO ABOVE POST!!

As an AA woman, I saw both Tami and David’s perspectives.  Irene was only half right by saying that David knows what buttons to push, because Tami is just as guilty of button pushing.

I agreed with what David said, so you can shove it with the ‘slave mentality’ comment.  I’m quite sure he knows daily what it is like to be a black man in America, not every fucking conversation has to go from 0 to 180 Tami!

I appreciated Tami letting Irene, a Latina know that it also isn’t cool when Latinos use the N-word.  Reminds me of the backlash J-Lo received when she said the word in the I’m Real song with Ja Rule.  As for Glen, he wasn’t being malicious when telling the story about eating in a pizzeria with his black friend; he should have used the N-word instead of saying it, but Tami could have been less brusque when responding to him about it.

• Love 6