Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was an instaget. Given the apparent source language, it seemed like the only option. Glad I got that one because my friend is in Disney right now and she'd be very disappointed in me if I missed it.

I posted a screenshot of the clue on her facebook page and she got it wrong 😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of Adano, luteinizing hormone, and Hedda Hopper.  Adano used to be very popular in crossword puzzles.

Never heard of lueinizing hormone - not in my various sex ed classes (we moved a lot, and I hit every variation there was), and not when I went through menopause.  Or maybe I just didn't retain it, since I certainly know about hormones.

8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

My sex ed classes were more than 20 years ago and this is the first time I’ve ever heard that term before. 🤷‍♀️

I've got you beat - mine were in the 60's and 70's. I am old. 🤣 There are a couple of them that became anecdotes (like the teacher in a mixed gender class who said pregnancy was just a venereal disease that cleared up in 9 months).

Did quite well in the Jeopardy round, though I didn't run anything. I might have done if I hadn't read "Saturday Night Fever" as "Saturday Night Live" and was thinking of the Blues Brothers or the Belushi brothers.

Double Jeopardy didn't go as well.

I got FJ mostly from the language origin. Once I figured that out, Jasmine was easy. I made my daughter a Jasmine costume one Halloween. I made it out of satin  and it was beautiful. She wore a leotard underneath of course.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I also thought Mulan was the right answer. I've never heard of the luteinizing hormone. I ran mythology and my only TS was Hedda Hopper.

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Never heard of lueinizing hormone - not in my various sex ed classes (we moved a lot, and I hit every variation there was), and not when I went through menopause.  Or maybe I just didn't retain it, since I certainly know about hormones.

I've apparently heard of it at some point (maybe a HS biology class?), because my mind was going - lu...?  leu...?  lieu...?  all the way till time ran out.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I also thought Mulan was the right answer. I've never heard of the luteinizing hormone. I ran mythology and my only TS was Hedda Hopper.

I thought Mulan first but then my thought process went something like, but I think any source materials would be way older than 300 years, and that language doesn't really sound Chinese, maybe India? Times up!!

Add me to the people who never heard of the luteinizing hormone and sex education in the 60/70s.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

For FJ I just said the princess in Aladdin and the wife told me her name. I'm not exactly an expert on Disnet princess names as there's so many of them now.

Only an "expert" with the ones I saw as a kid, and the ones my kids saw. They're grown women now, so recent Disney isn't in my wheelhouse.

• Love 2

I'm so old, we didn't even HAVE sex ed in school.  Still, somewhere along the line I picked up the phrase "luteinizing hormone," so I got it right.  Ask me today what it does and I can't tell you, but, by golly, it popped into my brain at the right time & place when I needed it to.

I had just read a discussion on FB regarding Disney-ified fairy tales and Mulan was mentioned, so I went with that as my FJ response. Sometimes, the Wheel of Coincidence doesn't turn my way.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've apparently heard of it at some point (maybe a HS biology class?), because my mind was going - lu...?  leu...?  lieu...?  all the way till time ran out.

Same here.  I knew it was lu-something hormone, and it being a TS gave me time to think, but I still never got past lute-something before time ran out.

• Love 1

I feel like when Ken read the clue about the Canadian LZT telescope he should have said “zed” instead  of “zee”.  After all, that is how they pronounce it there. 😉

I got FJ. Just had a conversation about Disney Princesses with my 3 year old granddaughter the other day.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

Did anyone catch the thing at the end? I saw it was "previewing" Monday's contestants, so I wasn't paying attention, but then I saw a picture of "she-who-must-not-be-named". Does that mean Ken won't be with us next week?

Wow, he got a lot of music puns into that intro...

Not too bad tonight (though having leftover clues might have helped me):
77% / 85% / 81%

Ran Pop Music and Lawn Tomorrow, missed one 3 Letter Word and one Beer, two in Brit Lit (little disappointed in myself...I can never remember Edward Lear. I always say Ogden Nash, who was not British and also was not born until 1902.)

In DJ I ran What the Hill? and all of the revealed clues in Call it a Day; missed one each in the other categories (of what wasn't left behind, at least).

There were 5 TS in the first round and I got 'em  all: 
yeastgophermulchKentucky bluegrass, and fescue; also got liability in DJ.

No joy in FJ.

I'm sorry, but Nicole was loud. I was rooting for Ciara this time but I liked Jackie well enough.

(Oh, yay, Mayim's back next week. Thanks for the warning, Johnny.)

25 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Did anyone catch the thing at the end? I saw it was "previewing" Monday's contestants, so I wasn't paying attention, but then I saw a picture of "she-who-must-not-be-named". Does that mean Ken won't be with us next week?

Yeah, he ended with "and Mayim Bialik will be back as host." 😞

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I said Helena because 1845 led me to the west for whatever reason and I could not think of a good answer.

I got the missed clues of yeast, gopher, liability and immigration.

I got the entire category of 3 letter words right.  

Even missing FJ, I did better than the last 2 nights.

• Love 3

Rats.  I did not get FJ tonight.  I wasn't thinking of a specific large body of water, and tried to figure out a U.S. city name related to "ocean" or "lake", and it just wasn't happening.

But I did get the TS of fescue, yeast, mulch, and immigration.

Nicole needed to use her inside voice.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rats.  I did not get FJ tonight.  I wasn't thinking of a specific large body of water, and tried to figure out a U.S. city name related to "ocean" or "lake", and it just wasn't happening.

That's where my brain went, too. I was also thinking Western because of the year.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Ken is not hosting next week. Which means I will not be watching. Those Neuriva commercials air a zillion times a day here and even those 30 seconds push me past my limits. I can get my trivia fix at J-Archive and TJF.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I wasn't thinking of a specific large body of water, and tried to figure out a U.S. city name related to "ocean" or "lake", and it just wasn't happening.

Well, there's Sea-attle. I know, it's not a capital and it's also not right, but admit it, it's a good wrong answer.

• LOL 11
44 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Ken is not hosting next week. Which means I will not be watching. Those Neuriva commercials air a zillion times a day here and even those 30 seconds push me past my limits. I can get my trivia fix at J-Archive and TJF.

I've been getting them at least twice an episode during Killing Eve the last few weeks. Ugh.

42 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Well, there's Sea-attle. I know, it's not a capital and it's also not right, but admit it, it's a good wrong answer.

It did cross my mind. ;)

• Love 2

On 3/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, Clanstarling said:

Re-learning German here, and let's just say English doesn't have the monopoly on difficult, seemingly arbitrary rules. Like gendered words. The genders have little logic to them (well, occasionally, but the one I remember most isn't appropriate). And sometimes the gender changes mid sentence, which gets me every time. 

I'm going to sound really stupid when I see my native German speaking relatives in a few weeks (everything being equal).

I don't think the gender of the noun ever changes mid sentence, but rather the declension of the original.  (Hello middle school German: Der die das die, den die das die, etc.)

• Love 2

Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff for DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince ... I get why they accepted it; those are the two people.  But that wasn't the name under which "this Philly duo" recorded, so I guess what annoys me is how quickly Ken shrugged, accepted it, and rephrased it correctly for her.  I would have liked a looking off to the judges for a ruling (maybe he did and it was edited out).

The yeast TS really surprised me, and the gopher TS also raised an eyebrow.  This is the second time recently gopher as the critter destroying yards has been a TS; have they never seen Caddyshack?  Joking aside, it basically has to be gopher, mole, or vole, and even if they don't specifically recognize the picture as being of a gopher, that's virtually always the one asked about (probably since they do the most damage of the three).

I ran Philly pop music, but my pre-guess for the category, Boyz II Men, turned out not to be one of the clues.  Boo, hiss.  I almost ran the whole first round, but I missed two in Brit Lit.  It's a good thing fescue was a TS, as I needed the extra time to pull that from my brain to my mouth.

I'm bummed they didn't finish the law category in DJ, as I was having a great round.  I missed two in "E" and one each in hill and Oscars, but got everything else.

I didn't know FJ, though.  Like some others, I was trying to think of capitals that sounded like a large type of body of water, not like a specific large body of water.  Oops. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

The story is that when the railroad wanted to come to Georgia in 1837, they asked my town, Decatur, to be the zero mile post. Decatur wisely said, "Hell, no. Go 8 miles west to that fledgling settlement with no name"  So when the railroad built their stuff, the town was called "Terminus."  Later, in 1843, they changed its name to "Marthasville" for the governor's daughter.  (I certainly wouldn't wanna live in a place called Terminus - too creepy, too final.)  It was finally changed to Atlanta in 1845 allegedly to recognize the stature of the railroad in the town.  The story I always had read that it was a corruption of "Atalanta," the Greek mythological figure. I don't think there is an answer that settles it once and for all how/why Atlanta was named.  But most folks around here pronounce it "Atlanna."  LOL

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, PBnJay said:

All I could think of was "Eau Claire". The two of us can sit in the corner and ponder our obviously wrong ideas together.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I went west to the Pacific, but knew Pacifica wasn't it, then went East to the Atlantic (deliberately avoiding the lakes) and Atlanta popped up, fortunately.

12 hours ago, PBnJay said:

We will watch, even though we both groaned at the announcement. The game is what we enjoy - it's much more pleasant with Ken, but we will soldier though.

11 hours ago, Leeds said:

I don't think the gender of the noun ever changes mid sentence, but rather the declension of the original.  (Hello middle school German: Der die das die, den die das die, etc.)

And I would have said, and believed, exactly that until, in my daily lessons (which I'm proficient enough to mostly blow through).  I started encountering certain sentence constructions that use "der" for a feminine noun.  They were nouns that were definitely feminine - for which I used feminine declension that proved to be wrong. Hence my frustration. I will suss out the sentence construction eventually.

It was an okay game. I got plenty of answers, but didn't run anything (would have if Midsommer hadn't been blocked from my mind).

But I got FJ, so that's good.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And I would have said, and believed, exactly that until, in my daily lessons (which I'm proficient enough to mostly blow through).  I started encountering certain sentence constructions that use "der" for a feminine noun.  They were nouns that were definitely feminine - for which I used feminine declension that proved to be wrong. Hence my frustration. I will suss out the sentence construction eventually.

Maybe this can help: Feminine nouns in German take "der" in the dative and genitive cases. Meaning the feminine noun has to be either the indirect object ("Ich gebe der Frau die Tasche" = "I give the bag to the woman") or possessive ("Das ist die Tasche der Frau" = "That's the woman's bag" or more literally, "That is the bag of the woman.").

Certain verbs are automatically dative, like "helfen" or "danken" (as in, "I provide help to the woman" rather than simply "I help the woman.") Basically if you can throw an "of" or a "to" in front of it and it still sounds OK in English, you're likely looking at "der."

So it's still a declension issue rather than the gender changing, but I'll grant you it's mighty confusing!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Sokarys said:

Maybe this can help: Feminine nouns in German take "der" in the dative and genitive cases. Meaning the feminine noun has to be either the indirect object ("Ich gebe der Frau die Tasche" = "I give the bag to the woman") or possessive ("Das ist die Tasche der Frau" = "That's the woman's bag" or more literally, "That is the bag of the woman.").

Certain verbs are automatically dative, like "helfen" or "danken" (as in, "I provide help to the woman" rather than simply "I help the woman.") Basically if you can throw an "of" or a "to" in front of it and it still sounds OK in English, you're likely looking at "der."

So it's still a declension issue rather than the gender changing, but I'll grant you it's mighty confusing!

Thank you, that does help. Your examples are excellent (better than the source I found). I returned to the forum because I just looked it up (should have done this ages ago), and found out it is in the genitive case. I'm going to be copying your examples and putting them in my notes.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Nicole needed to use her inside voice.  

10 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I think Nicole was using her teacher's voice.

Yes. Nicole's voice was terrible for Jeopardy!, but I kept reminding myself that it was terrific that she had become an English teacher. As a college librarian, when a student with a naturally loud voice would be talking at the reference desk, I would quietly engage them in a discussion of majors and career paths and mention that their wonderful voice would be great in teaching or theater etc., while gradually lowering my own voice to a near whisper, until we were at an acceptable volume for the situation.
Nicole also had an annoying pitch, but, again, perfect to keep the attention of students.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

It was an okay game. I got plenty of answers, but didn't run anything (would have if Midsommer hadn't been blocked from my mind).

But I got FJ, so that's good.

I ran 3-LETTER WORDS because of daily NY Times crosswords, and because I studied French when I still had all my brain cells, and worked with a lot of Spanish speakers and Spanish literature, which is a similar language, so it probably kept that part of the brain fresh. 

But for FJ:

• U.S. CITY NAMES:
    Adopted in 1845, the name of this state capital is a feminized form of a big body of water

I didn't read it out loud to myself, and so just skimmed over "big body of water." My 30 seconds was consumed with:

• "Land of 10,000 Lakes" → Minnesota → Montana → Helena (which sounds like a "feminized" name of something or other) . . . Ding! Times up!
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. Nicole's voice was terrible for Jeopardy!, but I kept reminding myself that it was terrific that she had become an English teacher. As a college librarian, when a student with a naturally loud voice would be talking at the reference desk, I would quietly engage them in a discussion of majors and career paths and mention that their wonderful voice would be great in teaching or theater etc., while gradually lowering my own voice to a near whisper, until we were at an acceptable volume for the situation.

I was really expecting that they would adjust her mic during the first break, but I guess there are some things you can't adjust for.  Maybe the difference in volume between her and the other contestants wasn't as obvious in person.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I ran 3-LETTER WORDS because of daily NY Times crosswords, and because I studied French when I still had all my brain cells, and worked with a lot of Spanish speakers and Spanish literature, which is a similar language, so it probably kept that part of the brain fresh.

Which is why the mister ran the category, but not me. :) Wordle is the only puzzle I do - and that's only to have another friendly competition with the mister that doesn't take too long.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

The only TS I knew was Ptolemy, but I did figure out FJ. I was surprised that two out of the three had no guess at all.

Agree about Nicole's voice: fine for the classroom, not great for TV.

I'm not thrilled about Mayim's return, but it won't keep me from watching.

• Love 4

I noticed that both the contestant (whichever one it was) and Ken pronounced "valet" as "val et" rather than "val ay". Is that how you pronounce it in the US?

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Trey said:

I noticed that both the contestant (whichever one it was) and Ken pronounced "valet" as "val et" rather than "val ay". Is that how you pronounce it in the US?

Apparently it's more of a British thing..? (I'd say val-ay. I didn't get that clue either way; it's one of the two I missed in the category.)

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2017/08/valet.html

Relevant passage to this game: "If we were speaking about a manservant in an old English novel, we’d use VA-let. But if we were referring to “valet parking” at a restaurant or “valet service” at a hotel, we’d say VA-lay."

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

So when the railroad built their stuff, the town was called "Terminus."  Later, in 1843, they changed its name to "Marthasville" for the governor's daughter.  (I certainly wouldn't wanna live in a place called Terminus - too creepy, too final.)

It's been a while, but I remember in The Walking Dead, Terminus was the name on a sign that Rick and others came across while looking for sanctuary and they all headed that way. And since WD was filmed in Georgia, I don't think that was a coincidence! I also found this about WD: "Terminus is a sanctuary that is first mentioned in the second half of the fourth season over a radio broadcast heard by Daryl, Michonne, Tyreese, and Bob while driving in Zach's car." So  yeah, too creepy, too final for sure!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Relevant passage to this game: "If we were speaking about a manservant in an old English novel, we’d use VA-let. But if we were referring to “valet parking” at a restaurant or “valet service” at a hotel, we’d say VA-lay."

Yep.  I initially said va-lay, since the parking service is the only way I ever use the word, so even though I knew it was pronounced va-let in that context, va-lay is so ingrained that's how it came out.  I had just started to correct myself when the contestant answered. 

(I'm sure they'd have accepted va-lay, and Ken would have corrected the pronunciation and moved on.)

• Love 6

This was my thought process for my FJ answer. Took me about 12 seconds.

State capital, feminized form; probably ends in "a". Geographic brain always starts with Maine, hmm Augusta, no big body of water connection, "Get out of New England stupid, they're talking about 1845!" Brain goes to the southeast US, hits Georgia; Atlanta? Atlantic, YES!

😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Never mind VAL-ets and val-AYS, my first thought was "gentleman's gentleman".

Especially because of the wording of the clue:

Because he serves a man, Bertie Wooster, & not a household, P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves has this job title, not butler

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

And since WD was filmed in Georgia,

Oh, yeah, MANY times I got stuck in traffic in Decatur because they were using downtown for a scene (we have a seriously cute downtown area). The scene lasts about 5 seconds and the whole town is blocked/in gridlock for two days.  I hated that. I'm so glad I'm retired now. Terminus, indeed.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But for FJ:

• U.S. CITY NAMES:
    Adopted in 1845, the name of this state capital is a feminized form of a big body of water

The way the clue was worded, I thought they were looking for a form of a word that describes a big body of water.  So I spent my time trying to think of a name derived from “lake” or “ocean”.  Reading it again, I still feel like it was misleading.

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Apparently it's more of a British thing..? (I'd say val-ay. I didn't get that clue either way; it's one of the two I missed in the category.)

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2017/08/valet.html

I’ve always heard it pronounced “val-ay” in either case, manservant or parking attendant. I didn’t think Ken’s version was wrong, because I knew that as an obscure alternate pronunciation, but I did find it surprising that he would choose that form. Maybe the clue writer is British?

I’m really curious to know what the general consensus is regarding Ken vs. Mayim. I see a lot of people tolerating Mayim while greatly preferring Ken, but not so much the opposite. Am I seeing just a small slice of the pie, or will J! risk alienating the majority of viewers by staying on the Mayim track?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m really curious to know what the general consensus is regarding Ken vs. Mayim. I see a lot of people tolerating Mayim while greatly preferring Ken, but not so much the opposite. Am I seeing just a small slice of the pie, or will J! risk alienating the majority of viewers by staying on the Mayim track?

I read the threads on reddit sometimes (I don't comment there, though) and my impression is that posters there generally prefer Ken over Mayim but maybe by a slightly lesser margin than here.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’ve always heard it pronounced “val-ay” in either case, manservant or parking attendant. I didn’t think Ken’s version was wrong, because I knew that as an obscure alternate pronunciation, but I did find it surprising that he would choose that form. Maybe the clue writer is British?

I have never heard it pronounced any way except "val-ay" so I don't understand why everyone thinks that British people say "val-et". And why would a US tv show pronounce one word the supposedly British way when it can rarely pronounce British place names or words correctly on any day ?

• Love 2

Rather than thinking of water and trying to find a capital city, I started thinking of capital cities and wondering if their name had anything to do with water.  Assuming it was the west coast based on the date, I spent 30 seconds wondering if the root of Sacramento or Olympia was water-related.

I was not in favour of Ken as a host, but have to admit, he is very good.  He is personable and witty and seems to make the contestants comfortable.  I would be ok with him staying on as long as he stays off Twitter.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Rather than thinking of water and trying to find a capital city, I started thinking of capital cities and wondering if their name had anything to do with water.  Assuming it was the west coast based on the date, I spent 30 seconds wondering if the root of Sacramento or Olympia was water-related.

I was not in favour of Ken as a host, but have to admit, he is very good.  He is personable and witty and seems to make the contestants comfortable.  I would be ok with him staying on as long as he stays off Twitter.

Stay off twitter? Why?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

SEATTLE!!!!

(Homer laughing uncontrollably) 

I remember/paraphrased (yes, I'm old) Cindy Brady asking Alice "Do you love Attle more than us?" Off Alice's puzzled look, Cindy says "Mom and Dad says you're going to Seattle (see Attle, get it?)".

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, rcc said:

Stay off twitter? Why?

He has had some problematic tweets in the past, making fun of the handicapped and snide political comments as examples.  I would just prefer to know nothing about the prejudices, politics or condescending attitudes of the people who are paid to be on tv or in the movies.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, rcc said:

Stay off twitter? Why?

NM I googled and saw an explanation and apology from Ken. All before he became host. I still feel he is the best host. Will not be watching next week. Cannot stand her hosting.

2 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

He has had some problematic tweets in the past, making fun of the handicapped and snide political comments as examples.  I would just prefer to know nothing about the prejudices, politics or condescending attitudes of the people who are paid to be on tv or in the movies.

Agreed. I still feel he is the best host and should be only host. Will miss him next week 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I have never heard it pronounced any way except "val-ay" so I don't understand why everyone thinks that British people say "val-et".

At least some British people clearly do. The OED gives both pronunciations, but has val-et first. And as @Driad has pointed out, in the Jeeves & Wooster series with Stephen Fry they used val‐et.

Screenshot_20220327-130534_Chrome.jpg

• Love 5