Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Another archive game for me.

The score TS was a doozy. 

After two stellar first round performances in a row, I only ran philosophy in this one.  But I was only bad in White House, missing three; in the rest, I just missed one each.

Things went downhill in DJ; I only ran countries and woman, and I was pretty bad in some of the others.  I blew almost entirely the category about actors playing multiple roles; the only one I knew was The Good Place.  I also missed three in science, and two each in the others.

FJ was almost an instaget - I knew it was the ship that rescued Titanic survivors, but it took me a few moments to remember its name.

• Love 3

December 29:

77% / 50% / 64%

J!: Ran Twenty Questions and missed only one or two in the other categories. Got the DD and the TSes of Teddy Roosevelt, Dolly Madison, score, and Chicago (which was all the TSes in the round!).

DJ: Didn't run anything but missed one each in Science and I Am Woman. TSes were South Africa, Kathy Hochul, and the missed DD of solar wind.

FJ: Instaget! Woohoo!

19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I blew almost entirely the category about actors playing multiple roles; the only one I knew was The Good Place.

I knew The Good Place and Paul Rudd; never seen either show but I've seen the actress on late night shows and that sort of thing, and I've seen the thumbnail for the other one while browsing Netflix and looked at the description.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

I said the Titanic.  Why can't I ever get final????

I got the TS of score, Teddy Roosevelt, Dolly Madison and Babe Didrickson (sp?).

I got the entire category of playing opposite yourself wrong.

I had a horrible night.  I should have asked for brain cells for Christmas.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, Bastet said:

FJ was almost an instaget - I knew it was the ship that rescued Titanic survivors, but it took me a few moments to remember its name.

Same here.

I also got the TS of score, Joyce Carol Oates, and South Africa.  

1912!  This ship!  Obviously the Titanic! Until about one second before the buzzer, when I noticed the 700 people. D’ohh!

In my defense, I did know that Dolly Madison = ice cream, for some reason. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5

Long ago I read something about the White House needing repairs (early 1900s?).  The contractor said the problems were caused by damage to beams from when the British set a fire during the War of 1812, and the beams should be replaced, using either wood or steel (better but more expensive).  The president said, "Put in the steel beams and send the bill to the King of England."  I have tried unsuccessfully to find out if this is true.  Is it, and if so, who was president?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

Long ago I read something about the White House needing repairs (early 1900s?).  The contractor said the problems were caused by damage to beams from when the British set a fire during the War of 1812, and the beams should be replaced, using either wood or steel (better but more expensive).  The president said, "Put in the steel beams and send the bill to the King of England."  I have tried unsuccessfully to find out if this is true.  Is it, and if so, who was president?

Unsure if this anecdote is true or apocryphal, but I recall reading that major repairs were initiated after a series of incidents in the late 40s, one of which was the sudden appearance of part of Margaret Truman’s piano in the room below where she was practicing.

• LOL 1
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said the Titanic.  Why can't I ever get final????

Yeah. I knew it wasn't Titanic (or Lusitania) but went with Titanic too.

59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I should have asked for brain cells for Christmas.

Same here, but that would have required remembering to ask for the brain cells.

51 minutes ago, Driad said:

Am I helping you cheat in Trivial Pursuit or something?
Calvin Coolidge: https://commonplacefacts.com/2017/03/15/royal-bill-referral/

ETA: I did get TSs of Babe Didrikson and Kathy Hochul [and the missed DD of Babe Didrikson].

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I would like bonus points for “Babe Didrikson Zaharias,” Ken. That’s how I remember first learning about her, under her married name. I recall not only being impressed by her achievements but also thinking that was a really cool name all together.

I would love to know if I would have known the Carpathia. I’d like to think I would have put it together since I have read extensively about the Titanic, and especially the valiance of the Carpathia and inaction of the Californian. Unfortunately I clicked the wrong link and spoiled myself on the response before watching the show. There’s also always the chance I might have missed the clues given and just said Titanic!

Actually, the last several days, I have had the result spoiled for me at the beginning of the episode, since I have been watching unauthorized uploads and the person putting them up has the result as the thumbnail, no matter how many people ask them to pick literally anything else. Oh well, I’m sure there’s a lesson in that. I expect McGruff the Crime Dog to burst through the wall any minute now and tell me that pirating video just doesn’t pay!

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Since the Babe Didrikson clue was a DD, I like to think that if it was a regular clue, one of the other contestants would have known her.  (Perhaps Amy, as she's done well with sports clues.)  Because her being a TS would make me sad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Actually, the last several days, I have had the result spoiled for me at the beginning of the episode, since I have been watching unauthorized uploads and the person putting them up has the result as the thumbnail, no matter how many people ask them to pick literally anything else. Oh well, I’m sure there’s a lesson in that. I expect McGruff the Crime Dog to burst through the wall any minute now and tell me that pirating video just doesn’t pay!

I don't think you should feel bad about the unauthorized episodes. I just have my same old question as to why on earth we can't watch previous episodes.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I did know that Dolly Madison = ice cream, for some reason. 

I think there is a Dolly Madison ice cream brand maybe? I knew that one as well and I feel like it’s cause I’ve seen that in stores. 

• Love 2

Yes, there's a Dolly Madison brand.

Here is what the White House Historical Association says about Dolley Madison and ice cream:

A Montpelier docent once remarked to this author that visitor misconceptions about Mrs. Madison center mostly on cupcakes and ice cream. The cupcake myth began in 1937 with the founding of the Dolly Madison Bakery, a national brand that aspired to create snacks, including cupcakes, “fit for a socialite like Madison yet affordable for everyone.” The ice cream myth, usually in the form of Mrs. Madison having been the first to serve ice cream in the White House, is partially true. Dolley Madison did serve ice cream in the White House, quite frequently, but her doing so was not the cultural landmark that firsts usually indicate. Thomas Jefferson also served ice cream at his presidential dinners, and for all we know, so did Abigail Adams during her short residency at the executive mansion in the winter of 1800–1801.

And this is from PBS:

As it turns out, ice cream is no modern-day love affair. Well before the first ice cream truck rolled down our streets, Thomas Jefferson, George and Martha Washington and even regular colonists screamed for ice cream. Ancient Romans enjoyed iced treats under Neros reign when large blocks of ice were harvested from nearby mountains. By the 1700s, ice creams and sorbets were all the rage in European courts. This love of creamy, decadent and cold dessert spread to the American colonies as epicureans settled into their new homes.
Dolley Madison, the first lady of the United States and wife of James Madison, fourth president of America, popularized ice cream in the White House. It was still a very impressive dessert because modern freezers were not introduced yet. To make ice cream, an estate relied on an ice house with large blocks of ice cut from frozen water, packed on straw and held in a cool place.

Chef Staib recently visited the Madison home in Montpelier, Va., to learn her tricks to make the best ice cream. He cooked a few of the first ladys favorite dishes, including the Southern inspired menu of Hoppin John, Virginia Ham and Oysters, Kidney Dijonnaise and topped it all off a dessert of hand churned vanilla ice cream, peaches and raspberry sauce.

Dolley preferred oyster ice cream. She used small, sweet oysters from the Potomac River near her home to churn up an interesting dessert. In 18th century cookbooks, chefs didnt stick to the basics. Recipes for parmesan ice cream, asparagus ice cream, chestnut cream and many other flavors that dont grace our modern day tables were popular.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 7

I was depressed that no one knew who the governor of NY is. They know so many things, i really shouldn't get hung up on any one missing bit of info, but somehow that got to me.

I think if Amy ever loses, it will just be because she was tired, like when Matt lost. It won't be a lack of knowledge of whatever categories are on the board. It will just be that she's not feeling well or something.

I enjoyed the challengers today. I'm actually enjoying a lot of the contestants lately. I don't know what it is. Often in the past, it's been kind of a blur to me. with only the occasional one who makes some kind of impression. But lately people seem to be making more of an impression and I'm liking them. I can't tell if it's a change in me, or something about the show. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was depressed that no one knew who the governor of NY is. They know so many things, i really shouldn't get hung up on any one missing bit of info, but somehow that got to me.

I figure they were all thinking, "The Lt. Gov. who took office when Cuomo resigned," but couldn't remember Hochul's name.  Understandable in a way, and it was assigned a $2000 value, but it surprised me a bit since it was fairly recent news at the time of taping.  Maybe it being fairly recent actually worked the other way - they hadn't been reading/hearing about her long enough for her name to be readily available in their minds.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I figure they were all thinking, "The Lt. Gov. who took office when Cuomo resigned," but couldn't remember Hochul's name.  Understandable in a way, and it was assigned a $2000 value, but it surprised me a bit since it was fairly recent news at the time of taping.  Maybe it being fairly recent actually worked the other way - they hadn't been reading/hearing about her long enough for her name to be readily available in their minds.

Yes, I think it was shared paralysis/brain farting after hearing the name Cuomo. Like "What romantic comedy did Shakespeare write besides Romeo and Juliet?"  Your brain won't give you anything but Hamlet and Macbeth.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 3

A lot of TS's! I knew Chicago, T. Roosevelt, Mark Ruffalo, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, the solar wind DD, Kathy Hochul, Joyce Carol Oates, South Africa, and Sinclair Lewis. And then I said Titanic for FJ and thought, "This is too easy!" 🤤

Could Authors be Amy''s Achilles' Heel?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I think there is a Dolly Madison ice cream brand maybe? I knew that one as well and I feel like it’s cause I’ve seen that in stores. 

I don’t think the brand sells ice cream, but it does make super-sweet snack cakes. So in my brain, ice cream => sugar => Dolly Madison.

Hey, whatever works, right?

• Love 5

I came up with Dolly Madison, Franklin Pierce, South Africa and Sinclair Lewis. Of course I didn’t come up with FJ. That would have made it a good night. 😂

🙋🏼‍♀️ see everyone next week. 🎉 Have a Happy and safe New Years. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t think the brand sells ice cream, but it does make super-sweet snack cakes. So in my brain, ice cream => sugar => Dolly Madison.

Hey, whatever works, right?

I remember seeing Dolley Madison ice cream. Searching for a pic, OMG. There were also Dolly Madison cigars! And Dolly Parton ice cream! But they all leave out the e in Dolley.

dolley.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

A fun seasonal connection with Dolly Madison Bakery is that they advertised using the Peanuts characters for many years, and even sponsored some of the animated TV specials, although not as far as I can tell the most famous Christmas one.  Hostess still markets products they originated but I think they last used the Dolly Madison name about 10 years ago.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wondered whether at least the one from New York wasn’t sure how to pronounce "Hochul” without getting dinged. I wasn't any too sure when I had only read it.  I could imagine someone who doesn’t get news from TV or radio might be much more likely to have read than heard it even after she was elevated to Gov. Then again, my Lt Gov, whose name I'm not sure I've ever heard spoken aloud, is Eleni Kounalakis, so I'm not sure I'm overflowing with sympathy. ;)

13 hours ago, Leeds said:

I don't think you should feel bad about the unauthorized episodes. I just have my same old question as to why on earth we can't watch previous episodes.

Hear hear!  The LA Times had an article the other day indicating that many of the syndication agreements will come up for renewal in the next few years, and that they expect competitive bids in many markets.  Perhaps this will be an opportunity to change the terms and make some kind of streaming happen.  I'd think they could build a platform that would allow them to pick and choose which areas of the country this was available in if need be.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Unfortunately, I got her name mixed up with the new mayor of Boston - Michelle Wu. Maybe she'll come up as an answer in the future and I'll have it nailed (or more likely, I'll come up with someone else's name, though probably not Hochul - if I can't pronounce it, it doesn't stick).

I almost ran three categories - two were in my strong areas, but I also almost ran Philosophy, which is most definitely not. So that was fun.

Got Joyce Carol Oates and Babe Didrikson. When I was younger, I knew a fair bit about Babe, but it's gone by the wayside.

I knew, absolutely, that FJ involved the Titanic (the date and the name of the officer), but I didn't parse the clue correctly. Fortunately, my brain kicked in and I got the Carpathia (didn't hurt that we rewatched Titanic the other week).

• Love 4
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I figured people outside the NY area might not know it, but then Ken pointed out that the one player lives there (I just looked, he's from Brooklyn). I'm in central NJ and my local network affiliates are out of NYC (I also get ABC and NBC from Philly but they're not in HD here so I rarely watch them, so I know a lot more about what's happening in NYC/north Jersey than Philly or even my immediate area). I also listen to the Consider This podcast on NPR, which tacks on a regional news segment at the end (I guess it's based on your device's location when you download it; every so often they screw up - I got Minnesota news once); I get the WNYC feed, so I've heard her name a lot lately. Even so, I said Hochland first, but corrected myself quickly.

I just looked it up and she was sworn in as governor on August 24th, and google tells me J! tapes approximately three months in advance; if that's accurate, they played this game about a month or so later. Maybe they were too busy cramming Opera and Women Authors to focus too much on current events...they probably don't expect things that are quite that current.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

A fun seasonal connection with Dolly Madison Bakery is that they advertised using the Peanuts characters for many years

Whenever I hear about Dolly Madison cakes, I think of Peanuts. That particular advertising campaign was very successful with me. To this day, I automatically think of Peanuts, which I did when that clue was read.

I think Ken is doing great as host. And he is obviously enjoying watching Amy. It's hard to imagine her losing, but I'm sure her Emma Boettcher is out there waiting!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Why? I'm just curious - it seems to me that the champions have always had their "streaks" referred to in the beginning of the game.

I wish I could give a good answer... perhaps I'm afraid he'll jinx her? (I'm one of those people who says, "I'm not superstitious because it's bad luck to be superstitious!" I still don't step on the cracks in the sidewalk...)

My misophonia is a strange thing. I seem to zero in on certain words and if they're repeated too often (Ken's said "streak" multiple times, sometimes on the same show), I notice. When someone says, "Um..." too often, I almost need to put on my headphones. You'd laugh if you saw me listening to our prime minister (Trudeau) speak without a script. OMG.

I'll shut up now before you think I'm a total kook... as opposed to being just a partial kook... maybe a streak of kookiness?

Have to add: I do appreciate Ken's 'quiet' hosting. He tends to blend in with the background. Another poster mentioned some differences between Ken's and Mayim's hosting and I agree - I'm not a fan of the podium gripping and camera mugging/wiggling/excess giggling.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I wish I could give a good answer... perhaps I'm afraid he'll jinx her? (I'm one of those people who says, "I'm not superstitious because it's bad luck to be superstitious!" I still don't step on the cracks in the sidewalk...)

My misophonia is a strange thing. I seem to zero in on certain words and if they're repeated too often (Ken's said "streak" multiple times, sometimes on the same show), I notice. When someone says, "Um..." too often, I almost need to put on my headphones. You'd laugh if you saw me listening to our prime minister (Trudeau) speak without a script. OMG.

I'll shut up now before you think I'm a total kook... as opposed to being just a partial kook... maybe a streak of kookiness?

Have to add: I do appreciate Ken's 'quiet' hosting. He tends to blend in with the background. Another poster mentioned some differences between Ken's and Mayim's hosting and I agree - I'm not a fan of the podium gripping and camera mugging/wiggling/excess giggling.

I don't think of you as a kook at all. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I don't have the problem, but I have similar problems with my tinnitus - though not voice and speech related.

• Love 3

While I think these recent episodes have not been especially challenging in terms of difficulty (although I was surprised at the amount of TS in the 12/28/21 game, the most recent, at least here), I am enjoying them very much.

Part of this is Amy - I feel like she is accumulating her large scores the way the game is designed, rather than jumping around looking for the DDs or picking the most expensive ones so the other contestants can't get them.  I like her calmness and the little things, like her recognition of Julia.  

I had to laugh when none of these erudite people got the right answer to the "score" question, although I can see how it happened.  I was surprised none of them got Babe Didriksen Zaharias or Joyce Carol Oaates.

I love Ken as host - he was perfect in terms of keeping things going smoothly, encouraging the contestants when they needed it, supplying snippets of information.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Bliss said:

Nothing against Ken; however, I wish he'd stop referring to Amy's "streak".

I can't stand Ken.  I'm only stomaching him because I'm loving Amy.

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Fellow kook here.

My (ex!) husband said "er" every other word - literally.  Between that and my teenage daughters' constant use of "like", and my niece's appalling vocal fry, extended family dinners can be a struggle for me.

Between vocal and physical tics, Jeopardy! can be quite challenging (sic) for me sometimes.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I can't stand Ken.  I'm only stomaching him because I'm loving Amy.

I like Ken.  I'm sick of Amy.  Nothing personal, but I wish they'd put in a 20 game maximum. That's a month. That's enough for any one champ.

• Love 6

Why do the New Year's Eve category today, I asked myself, and not tomorrow?  They would probably rather pay for the promotion today in case fewer people are watching tomorrow, I answered.  It's neither here nor there but, while we always chose Dick Clark's show while he was living, I just can't be doing with Ryan Seacrest.  I think he is in the uncanny valley.  I don't know where we'll watch the ball drop tomorrow.

I am fascinated by the range of reactions to Amy's run (which sounds sniffy but is meant earnestly).  I don't mind it, probably both because I like her a lot and because not all the games are totally lopsided.  With past contestants, I'm sure I would have been glad to see the back of some of them quicker, but for the most part I don't mind a lengthy stay myself.

I rarely watch TV news other than PBS but have been visiting my parents who had ABC's national news on just now (6:30).  They spent about 30 seconds on Amy at the end of the show, mentioning yesterday's broken record among female contestants and her status as the first (out) trans contestant to qualify for the ToC.  That was nice to see, and a nice lead-in to the show coming up at 7:30 on this station.  Ma and I have already seen it, but maybe if Dad's up from his nap by then we'll play smart. ;)

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Wednesday I made the classic Jeopardy! mistake and answered Upton Sinclair instead of Sinclair Lewis.

I wonder whether "Upton Sinclair Lewis" has ever been a Before & After clue!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

80% / 73% / 75%

Not a bad game today. Ran five categories! Drawing, A____, Quick History, Word of Mouth, and Female Name Words. Even got three of the New Year's Rockin' Eve clues before the video. I did not get any TSes but I did get all the Daily Doubles. Did not get FJ, either, but I was thinking polar explorers so I was on the right track, at least (I thought of Peary; wrong pole).

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I rarely watch TV news other than PBS but have been visiting my parents who had ABC's national news on just now (6:30).  They spent about 30 seconds on Amy at the end of the show, mentioning yesterday's broken record among female contestants and her status as the first (out) trans contestant to qualify for the ToC.  That was nice to see, and a nice lead-in to the show coming up at 7:30 on this station. 

I saw that, too! I ran out to do a couple errands, stopped at my parents' to pick up my computer (fixed! 40 bucks for the tiny plate that's under the power button) and decided to order lasagna from my favorite overpriced Italian place that only takes cash. Ordered an extra for tomorrow (I have no plans and I'm not complaining...it's just gonna be me, lasagna, cranberry lime soda with vodka, and Netflix). I don't usually watch the news but I got home at 6:48 so I just turned on the TV while I got settled (J! is on at 7 here). I do like the feel-good segments they usually do at the end. If there's a noteworthy Jeopardy run in progress they usually do a bit on it at some point.

• Love 2

Including video clips of Pink and Jennifer Lopez made those almost insultingly easy (I knew them already, mind you, but even people who weren't music fans would recognize the latter at least).

• Love 4

I said Amundsen. I feel like I'm always on the right track but going the wrong direction.

I got the entire categories of A and mouth right.

i would have gotten all of drawing, but I stupidly said Van Gogh instead of Da Vinci, and I didn't know Pepper, but that was irritating as there was a cat named Pepper lying on my lap at that exact moment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

No idea for FJ tonight.  I figured it was an Antarctic explorer, but knew it wasn't Shackleton, and couldn't come up with anyone else.  Boo, hiss.

The only TS I got was Harris.  I have been to the island of Lewis & Harris.  It's quite lovely.

Close one for Amy tonight!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2

Nice article in the Washington Post about Amy beating Julia's record. I like the long running champions because I like to see how much I know compared to them. I considered it a badge of honor if I knew something James didn't.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wonder whether "Upton Sinclair Lewis" has ever been a Before & After clue!

In 2004: AUTHORS BEFORE & AFTER $400: After tackling the meat-packing industry in "The Jungle", he battled religious hypocrisy in "Elmer Gantry"

And last year there was a clue with yet another author! AUTHOR FILL-INS $800: Upton ___ ___ Carroll

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, dcalley said:

In 2004: AUTHORS BEFORE & AFTER $400: After tackling the meat-packing industry in "The Jungle", he battled religious hypocrisy in "Elmer Gantry"

And last year there was a clue with yet another author! AUTHOR FILL-INS $800: Upton ___ ___ Carroll

Danke schön!  Writers, if you're reading this, may I also suggest "Sinclair Lewis Carroll," "Kate Upton Sinclair"...I mean, I'm here all week.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Since the category wasn't Women Name Words, it seems they actually do know women is a noun, not an adjective, so I don't know why they can't at least get it right with their stupid Women Authors categories if they won't just get rid of them.

The Donna Brazile TS made me sad.  Not surprised, but sad.

I thought the GQ clue was asking for the name of the magazine then, so I said Gentlemen's Quarterly.

I got all but three in the first round, thanks in part to several lucky/semi-educated guesses (e.g. I had no idea the axel was named after someone, but it's one of the only figure skating jumps I know the name of, and the only one starting with A, so I went with it).

I lucked out with some guesses in DJ, too and did very well.  I only ran movie landmarks and mouth, but I only missed seven clues across the rest.  I didn't know who Tony Stark was (I've now looked it up), so I was trying to get that one just based on the "ask a series of rapid questions" definition and felt like it was on the tip of my tongue; with more time, I'd have come up with pepper (with Pepper Anderson in my mind as a name).

I didn't get FJ, though.  Based on the year, I figured a polar expedition, but never got any farther than that.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, possibilities said:

I had to laugh at the little bit of shade Ken threw the NY contestant.  Done with a smile but the "it's your state" amused me.

6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I am fascinated by the range of reactions to Amy's run (which sounds sniffy but is meant earnestly).  I don't mind it, probably both because I like her a lot and because not all the games are totally lopsided. 

They aren't?  I don't know the stats but it feels like most games her competitors don't have a chance of catching her.  I think yesterday presented the best opportunity given how poorly everyone performed in Double Jeopardy.  I would have liked to see some of Tuesday's contestants on Wednesday's show.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

Including video clips of Pink and Jennifer Lopez made those almost insultingly easy (I knew them already, mind you, but even people who weren't music fans would recognize the latter at least).

Ahem. Old person here. I had no freakin' idea. I thought that second one was Janet Jackson.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They aren't [totally lopsided games]?  I don't know the stats but it feels like most games [Amy's] competitors don't have a chance of catching her.

You're right, in terms of the final result.  But I feel the other contestants are often turning in games worth $10K or so, which is impressive.  They seem to know where they are, sometimes wager as aggressively as they need to, and have good command of the material.  There don't seem to be many total flameouts so it can seem that someone might be building up steam, might pull something out...maybe I'm just in a strange moment of holiday cheer!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Bliss said:

Nothing against Ken; however, I wish he'd stop referring to Amy's "streak".

All y'all who are tired of hearing "streak" must've applauded when Ken just said "runaway victory" yesterday.

11 hours ago, SeanC said:

52 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ahem. Old person here. I had no freakin' idea. I thought that second one was Janet Jackson.

Most likely I'm older than you, but I worked with college students until mid-2019, so age isn't really the issue; I was wondering if they would have accepted "J.Lo."
Wikipedia does.

I wrongly guessed a bunch of people for FJ and settled on Livingstone, which it turns out was better than my runner up guess of Leakey, in that Livingstone did die in the field, whereas Leakey died in London. I didn't consider the poles, and, even if I did, would never have come up with Scott. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:32 PM, 853fisher said:

...I have been watching unauthorized uploads and the person putting them up has the result as the thumbnail, no matter how many people ask them to pick literally anything else. Oh well, I’m sure there’s a lesson in that. I expect McGruff the Crime Dog to burst through the wall any minute now and tell me that pirating video just doesn’t pay!

When necessary, I watch the episodes of Jeopardy! on YouTube, about which I have no moral hesitation given that there is no other option (although maybe I should get my old DVR set back up just for that purpose).
But I used to watch pirated episodes of other shows on other sites until I realized I was supporting sex trafficking with my clicks to close their ads.🙁 So, don't do that.
Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. long ago realized that it made more sense to permit limited sharing of logins rather than waste money going after Auntie Em. Hopefully Jeopardy! will figure out how to enter the 21st century with their next contract negotiations.

• Love 3

On the subject of the Pink and JLo clips, those ended up fairly easy for me too.  But when the clue first gave the name of the song, I admit I could only think of Shirley Bassey's cover.  I don't know what exactly it says about me that Shirley Bassey comes sooner to me than Pink on Pink's own song, but I don't mind it!

• Love 1