Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I said pre-Hays Code; does that count? 

I would certainly hope so, since that’s the only “Code” there was! (I used the full name, too.) 

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Normally, I don't like effusive contestants, but today's champ was positively giddy and his excitement passed on to me.  I was grinning ear-to-ear for him.

Effusive is a good descriptor. My initial take was “twitchy”, and I couldn’t decide whether it was annoying or endearing. I eventually landed on the latter. I’m glad he won. (Although I would have been fine with Andie taking it, too.)

Still, I personally disqualified all 3 contestants for not knowing Pamela Adlon or Better Things. I adored that show. Later, I double disqualified them for not knowing about Harold Lloyd and the clock stunt. They should all be ashamed.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I would certainly hope so, since that’s the only “Code” there was! (I used the full name, too.) 

Effusive is a good descriptor. My initial take was “twitchy”, and I couldn’t decide whether it was annoying or endearing. I eventually landed on the latter. I’m glad he won. (Although I would have been fine with Andie taking it, too.)

Still, I personally disqualified all 3 contestants for not knowing Pamela Adlon or Better Things. I adored that show. Later, I doubled disqualified them for not knowing about Harold Lloyd and the clock stunt. They should all be ashamed.

Yeah, I was somewhat surprised no one knew Harold Lloyd and the clock. It's an iconic image. I suspect he's too obscure these days, which is a shame because he was in some very funny movies.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I got Windsor (disappointed no one knew that), clock, and a couple others I can’t think of right now.  
Also got FJ- I knew there were fewer people in Vermont than in Rhode Island.

Felt like the Bush answer should have been a BMS.

• Love 2

I just got home, so it was an archive game for me.

I'm still shaking my head at the answer of FDR for a 2018 photo of a president's casket.  And at Bush not resulting in a BMS prompt.

I want to be surprised pre-Code and clock were TS, but I can't, given how many people don't know old movies.

I was terrible in the TV category, never having heard of any of the shows.  I correctly guessed Blackbeard as the pirate and know what Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks like so am giving myself credit on the assumption I'd have recognized him had I been able to see the photo, but I missed the rest.  Other than that, I did great in the first round; I ran instruments, George, and tunnels, got all but Rolls-Royce in cars and all but Echo in words.

In DJ, I missed three in funny stories, but otherwise did well.  I ran old movies and medical adjectives, got all but aneroid in instruments, and missed two in doge and AU.

I correctly guessed FJ, but after some deliberation and I wasn't completely confident in it. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I double disqualified them for not knowing about Harold Lloyd and the clock stunt. They should all be ashamed.

They really should.  It is an old movie, but that scene is iconic -- I still see it all the time.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

They really should.  It is an old movie, but that scene is iconic -- I still see it all the time.

But do you see it captioned in a way that identifies Harold Lloyd? I knew it but I wasn't surprised that younger people might not. There are loads of memes that I see all the time where I have no idea what the source is. Sometimes I am interested enough to try to find out where the image originated but not always. Seeing a man hanging from a clock is different from knowing that is Harold Lloyd. I think most people will have heard of Charlie Chaplin and possibly Buster Keaton, but Harold Lloyd is less well-known.

The only other "in" to the answer would be the address -- is 908 S. Broadway in L.A. famous for its clock?

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Still, I personally disqualified all 3 contestants for not knowing Pamela Adlon or Better Things. I adored that show. Later, I double disqualified them for not knowing about Harold Lloyd and the clock stunt. They should all be ashamed.

I didn't know her either and I never heard of Better Things (Stranger Things, yes). I did know Harold Lloyd and the clock picture. I remember first seeing it on the front page of the New York Times the morning after the first Joe Frazier/Muhammad Ali fight, because that was when Lloyd died.

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If ever an answer needed a bms it's Bush. 

I thought it was Delaware. Or Rhode Island.  Wrong on both. 

I guess they figured it didn't need the bms. because only one George Bush is deceased.

Rhode Island was my guess too. And I also wondered about "Hays code" vs. just "code." I also knew Echo, knob, and the "noninvasive" DD. I wondered if there was a story behind Eleanor's "2016" wager.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Duke of Wellington?!

Sometimes when you know next to nothing about a subject, the one name or place you associate with the subject can be the right answer. Eleanor's mistake seems to be that she thought being vaguely aware of the Napoleonic Wars/Regency Period was a substitute for being vaguely aware of the British royal succession. There are a lot of royal dukes about nowadays but not all dukes are royal.

I felt the same way about Toronto being connected to Detroit by a tunnel, but if you know nothing about Canada and think that the clue is an invitation to guess the Ontario city you have heard of, that's what you get.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Stray word
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

"Pre-Code" is the way I always hear it phrased when talking about old movies.  The "Hays" part is just sort of taken for granted.

The scene of a man dangling from a clock is certainly famous, but as @SomeTameGazelle says, I'm not sure it's famous in such a way that most people would connect it to the name Harold Lloyd.  Be honest: before hearing the clue, did you know that the title of the movie it comes from is Safety Last?  Do you have any idea of the general plotline of that movie?

At one time, I might have guessed that the guy hanging from the clock was Buster Keaton.  He was the one known for wild physical comedy.  So I'm not sure I can get too upset at folks for not getting that one.

To save you some Googling: Safety Last has that old standby plot, which was probably a cliché even back then, where the hero lies to his girlfriend about how successful he is, and when she shows up at his job he has to be pretend to be the big boss, even though he's really only a lowly salesclerk.  He ends up on the clock because there's something about if anyone can climb the building as a publicity stunt, they'll get $1,000, something something, reasons.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I never remember that it's Harold Lloyd, and I've never actually seen the whole movie as far as I know.  Given a choice of titles, I'd never pick out the right one, and I didn't even know that clock had an address.  All I really know is "guy hanging from a clock" so when the clue said "dangled from this in a famous movie stunt" I immediately knew it was that scene, and thus a clock.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't keep track of TS, but I really thought Bush needed a BMS.  I mean, yes, one is still alive, but still.   

Yep, it definitely needed a BMS.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I liked him a lot, too. Very dapper. I giggled at him jumping up and down with excitement while the credits rolled.

I liked him immediately, though it was hard to understand his tattoo story - he was rushing it, nerves, I guess. I really enjoyed his joy at the end. I always enjoy enthusiasm, some more than others.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yep, I was struggling to come up with Hayes, and was a little miffed that it was just "pre-code"

I had very little to go by on FJ, so I said Delaware, only because it's a small state in the east. If I'd thought of Rhode Island, I would have said that. Oh well.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Be honest: before hearing the clue, did you know that the title of the movie it comes from is Safety Last

Yes.

It’s a shame that silent movies are becoming largely forgotten. If people think of them at all, they probably picture only the exaggerated mannerisms and melodrama that became so cliche. And while there is that, some have really stood the test of time, especially some of the comedies. Buster Kenton’s films are a masterclass in precision stunt work and engineered effects, not to mention funny. And now I just want to find a screening of Sherlock Jr.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I didn't know her either and I never heard of Better Things (Stranger Things, yes). 

If you ever watched King of the Hill, then you know her voice (Bobby Hill). Super talented lady. Better Things, which just concluded a 5-season run, was a funny, poignant, slice-of-life show about a single mom, her daughters and her mother, and was unlike anything else on TV. Highly recommend.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I never remember that it's Harold Lloyd, and I've never actually seen the whole movie as far as I know.  Given a choice of titles, I'd never pick out the right one, and I didn't even know that clock had an address.  All I really know is "guy hanging from a clock" so when the clue said "dangled from this in a famous movie stunt" I immediately knew it was that scene, and thus a clock.  

If pressed, I would have said Chaplin or Keaton, but yeah, the scene is iconic, so I got it as well.

• Applause 3

For FJ, I wrote down Delaware. My first thought was Rhode Island, but I have friends who live there and we've discussed politics, so I knew they have two representatives, so I went with the other geographically small state, Delaware. Just as time ran out, I thought, "Uh-oh, it could be Vermont." Oh well...

Regarding the lack of a Bush BMS: Would someone please sit her down and tell her that if the response to ANY clue that involves a POTUS is Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt or Bush, it NEEDS a BMS! 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Regarding the lack of a Bush BMS: Would someone please sit her down and tell her that if the response to ANY clue that involves a POTUS is Adams, Harrison, Johnson, Roosevelt or Bush, it NEEDS a BMS! 

Surely they can put it on the card. They don't even need to go into a lot of detail, just bold or highlight the portion of each response that is required.  That would be clear both in cases where surname alone is sufficient and in cases where first name or something else is needed.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I got Windsor (disappointed no one knew that),

I wonder if they would have got Detroit if the clue had been reversed, giving the Canadian city.

I know I got a couple more ts's besides Windsor but don't remember what they were.  Also got the missed DD of non-invasive.

No idea for FJ.  I said Maine, just to have something to say.

• Love 3

Just a few minutes into the show, I got a call from my son to FaceTime. As much as I hated having to miss the episode, a FaceTime chat with my 13-month-old grandson takes priority. I could have kicked myself for not being able to spit out Windsor fast enough as I actually have a Facebook acquaintance who lives there. We bonded over our mutual love for AI season 5 contestant, Elliott Yamin.  lol

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

For FJ, I wrote down Delaware. My first thought was Rhode Island, but I have friends who live there and we've discussed politics, so I knew they have two representatives, so I went with the other geographically small state, Delaware. Just as time ran out, I thought, "Uh-oh, it could be Vermont." Oh well...

Mayim isn't a judge. If the judges wanted a BMS, they would have prompted for it. The longtime recapper for r/Jeopardy offered this:

It feels like they've lightened up on BMS for last names over the past couple of years, Unless they seriously think two people with the same last name could be confused for each other, they seem to let it slide anymore.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

I had a lousy first round on Friday, not running any categories and only getting one stumper, cherry.  Then I tore it up in DJ.  I ran Filmed In Georgia, It's A Process, 20th Century Names, A Disaster Of Biblical Proportions and Italian Loanwords and got Tyler Perry, refining, cappuccino, and, to my great surprise, Hubert Humphrey.  I never get Humphrey.  Never.  I think this may be a sign of the apocalypse.

I got FJ because Mont Bellevue is French, so I went with the only South American country I knew which had been a French colony originally.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

I got th emissed clues of Salt Lake City (only one I got in that category)

I said Carson City.  Yes, I did.

Then on Monday, I went the opposite direction and ran almost nothing (only Name The Automaker, Bye, George and Old Movies).  I did get knob, Echo, cake, clock and pre-code.  For that one, I actually answered the Hays Code; I'm counting my answer as correct since that is what the code was colloquially called and the clue already included the "pre-" part.

I had no clue for FJ.  I knew it wasn't Maryland since I live here and I knew it wasn't Delaware since it's next door, but that's it.

I would not have credited Eleanor with correct answers for "Bush" (if ever an answer called for a BMS, it was that one since there were 2 presidents named George Bush) or "Pippin", which is what she said instead of "Pepin".  Don't know if deducting at least the $3200 for "Pippin" would've made a difference since she might made a smaller bet for FJ, but still, Andie might consider themself robbed of 2nd place by that decision.  (Not being smartass about Andie, I honestly couldn't tell and don't want to use the wrong pronoun.)

On 7/2/2022 at 11:00 AM, Clanstarling said:

Did anyone else laugh at the answer to the Eat, Pray, Love question? The heart of the question was: "she was ready to be this: and the answer was "committed." I couldn't help but think of it in a, well, less positive fashion.

Given that she's not longer married to the husband she had when she wrote Committed, and that she's had a very messy love life since, maybe your definition of committed is more appropriate?

On 7/2/2022 at 2:03 PM, ECM1231 said:

Some spelled it Guiana and others spelled it Guyana, which is the one I am familiar with.

I've never seen French Guiana spelled "Guyana".  To me, Guyana is the current name of British Guiana.  That doesn't mean it isn't also correct, though.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:27 AM, South said:

A while back, I lived in Havre de Grace, Maryland for a lovely year.  Feeling comfy with French pronunciation, I was quickly set straight, by my also lovely neighbor,  that it’s pronounced Havverduhgrace, with a regular old short “a”, followed by a long “a”.  Mon Dieu!

I grew up across the river in Perryville.  Yep, it's all one word, too.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, Clanstarling said:

I don't know that I would have corrected Alex, in their position. 😉

Brad Rutter once corrected Alex when he mispronounced Lancaster.  (Not Lan-caster, like the city in California, but more like Lankester, all one word.)  Might've been Johnny Gilbert who pronounced it incorrectly, though.  Of course, I don't believe that was during his original run.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Be honest: before hearing the clue, did you know that the title of the movie it comes from is Safety Last?  Do you have any idea of the general plotline of that movie?

Yes, I did.  I took a college course on the history of film and loved the section on Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:
It feels like they've lightened up on BMS for last names over the past couple of years, Unless they seriously think two people with the same last name could be confused for each other, they seem to let it slide anymore.

That’s disappointing. I don’t tend to be a stickler, but that seems a bit lax. If the show cares about precision, up to and including writing all the letters in a FJ response (and they should), why just assume contestants meant the right thing in cases like this? It’s inconsistent, and seems especially wrong in regard to the Bushes— they weren’t all that far apart, and could easily be confused.

(I don’t know why the quote ended up in all caps. I wasn’t trying to shout.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Trey said:

I wonder if they would have got Detroit if the clue had been reversed, giving the Canadian city.

I'm not sure which way I think is harder!  I think I probably would have gotten it either way, but only because of the stories earlier in the year about traffic between them being disrupted by the protest convoys.

• Like 2
(edited)

80% / 80% / 79%

Pretty good game...Ran five categories! - It Happened in July, Animal Sounds?, A Novel Death, Economics, and Tool Words & Phrases. Missed one each in Middle "Q", 19th Century Tech, and the Arts, two in Number between 1&100, Bays, and Actresses, and three in The III (fittingly enough, I guess...).

TSes were To Kill a Mockingbird, 78 (DD), per, cement, glut, chisel, and screw (I knew the 'prison guard' definition thanks to The Shawshank Redemption).

Could not come up with FJ...

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Brad Rutter once corrected Alex when he mispronounced Lancaster.  (Not Lan-caster, like the city in California, but more like Lankester, all one word.)  Might've been Johnny Gilbert who pronounced it incorrectly, though.  Of course, I don't believe that was during his original run.

Yes, Lancaster, PA is pronounced LANKisster, not lan-cast-er. A pet peeve of mine, as well, because I went to college in Lancaster County.

Edited by ams1001
  • Applause 2

I had no idea on FJ.  I said something totally ridiculous that i knew was wrong so I won't repeat it to make myself look stupid.

I got the missed clue of per/purr.

I got the entire category of animal sounds right.  

Did pretty good in first round, not terrible in DJ, lost FJ, ended up in the red again.

• Hugs 1
(edited)

It took me a second for FJ because while I know the neighborhood I never think of Ford’s Theatre with that adjective. But nothing else that’s a historic site is that close to the Hoover Building (if you are talking yards away)

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Like 3

I leapt immediately to Watergate for FJ tonight, too, and didn't even stop to think about anything else, I was so certain it was correct.  Oh well!  At least I was in the right city -- grassy knoll, anyone?

The only TS I got were 78, per, cement, needle, and screw.

I'm glad our champ won again.

• Like 5

TS's were per, Portland cement and glut. I was pretty shocked that Jake didn't know 78 rpm for his DD wager. 

Didn't have a clue for Final Jeopardy. For some reason I mixed up J. Edgar with President Hoover and was wracking my brain trying to think of his home state where his presidential museum  would be and what notorious building might be nearby.😂 Not a great game for me.

• Hugs 1
2 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

TS's were per, Portland cement and glut. I was pretty shocked that Jake didn't know 78 rpm for his DD wager. 

Didn't have a clue for Final Jeopardy. For some reason I mixed up J. Edgar with President Hoover and was wracking my brain trying to think of his home state where his presidential museum  would be and what notorious building might be nearby.😂 Not a great game for me.

West Branch, Iowa. As far as I know, there is no notorious building nearby.

My mind went to the JFK assassination also, and I thought of the Texas School Book Depository.

I thought 78 rpm records (heck, any vinyl records) were before Jake's time so I'm not surprised he missed it. What was shocking to me was that he thought Diana Ross is 90+ years old. That seemed vaguely familiar, and sure enough, it happened only a few months ago.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I would not have credited Eleanor with correct answers for "Bush" (if ever an answer called for a BMS, it was that one since there were 2 presidents named George Bush) or "Pippin", which is what she said instead of "Pepin".

The clue, with its reference to "Corner of the Sky," was definitely pointing toward "Pippin."  Wikipedia identifies "Pippin" as an alternate spelling of "Pepin."  Encyclopedia Britannica lists of the Carolingians with that name under "Pippin," and gives "Pepin" as the alternate spelling.  I'd call it a wash.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

FJ: Watergate was my first thought but I recently saw a photo of it, and it seems to be a big building with its own grounds. My second thought was Ford's Theater so I went with that. Somehow I did not think of the grassy knoll. :-)

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I leapt immediately to Watergate for FJ tonight, too, and didn't even stop to think about anything else, I was so certain it was correct.  Oh well!  At least I was in the right city -- grassy knoll, anyone?

lol...I'll admit that did cross my mind but I knew it was in the wrong city.

22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad our champ won again.

Me, too.

14 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I was pretty shocked that Jake didn't know 78 rpm for his DD wager. 

I'm guessing Alex would have said it was before his time.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I spent half the game convinced Jake was one of the kids in a family we knew growing up.  Of course that's no fault of his, but by the time I figured out he wasn't who I thought he might be, I felt he'd wronged me somehow!

I know who he did wrong - Diana Ross!  That lady can't get any breaks.  It was just about three months ago that two contestants put her down for FJ when the clue was about someone who turned 95 in 2021.  At least Jake took 5 more years off her.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

Two things. I totally knew FJ! Never been to DC but I knew it was Ford's Theatre. Watergate was a decent guess but the place has it's own reputation outside of the break in. So the only notorious urban place I could think of was Ford's Theatre. I would have a hard time even setting foot in that place knowing what happened there.

Also Can't Diana Ross catch a break from this show's contestants??? Hey, on the bright side, at least he knocked five years off her age from the last guess...

...and because I'm a whiner, May we have Ken back soon?????

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

My mind went to the JFK assassination also, and I thought of the Texas School Book Depository.

My mind immediately went to Dealey Plaza. I very quickly corrected that, because I know the J Edgar Hoover building is in DC (not that I got any further with the clue than that), but I wonder what made us (and the one contestant) immediately jump to various aspects of the JFK assassination? Was it J -> LBJ -> Texas? That's the only thing I can think of that remotely makes sense, because I don't think my brain can come up with any real connections between J Edgar Hoover and Texas.

51 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I know who he did wrong - Diana Ross!  That lady can't get any breaks.  It was just about three months ago that two contestants put her down for FJ when the clue was about someone who turned 95 in 2021.  At least Jake took 5 more years off her.

My mom answered 45 to the clue tonight 😂 I thought that was kind of her. I'm sure Diana Ross would appreciate it.

• Love 2

I am very impressed with those who got Ford's Theatre.  Like many others, I knew the J Edgar Hoover Building was in DC, but that was about all I knew.  I think perhaps the clue we were supposed to glean from that is that we were looking for a historic site in the denser "everyday" part of the city rather than where all the monuments are.  But how to pick Ford's Theatre over, say, Watergate...I'm not sure.  I thought this one, and a few others recently, could have used maybe another half a clue.

1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

The only notorious urban place I could think of was Ford's Theatre. I would have a hard time even setting foot in that place knowing what happened there.

I was really surprised when I learned it is still an operating theater!  IIRC it was used for various other purposes immediately after the assassination and was only restored to its original purpose about 50 years ago.  We saw "1776" and "A Christmas Carol" there when I was young.  I recall having trouble taking my eyes off the infamous box.  I think the experience of being there, not just to see a monument but to participate in the same quotidian thing Lincoln was doing, was really powerful, and more than a little eerie.

• Love 5

Poor Diana Ross.  I can't believe that's now three contestants who've thought she's a lot older than she is. 

Even though I harbor an irrational hatred of bow ties, I was rooting for Yungsheng because he's a public defender, so I'm glad he won (I didn't see last night's game, so this was my introduction to him).

The show in which Luke Perry appeared as Dylan McKay was titled Beverly Hills, 90210.  It was colloquially referred to as 90210 at the time, yes, but I had the niggling thought there was a later spin-off titled 90210 (not to be confused with the weird little meta limited series a few years ago, after his death, titled BH90210) and a search during the commercial break confirmed that.  So that's the title of a separate series and, according to IMDb, a few actors from the original reprised their roles on it, but not him.  If not for that spinoff, I'd have probably accepted "90210" (like if someone said "AbFab" for Absolutely Fabulous, since it was so commonly known by that name), but since there is another show by that title that does not fit the clue since he did not appear on it, I'd have prompted Yungsheng to BMS (which he undoubtedly could have) for accuracy's sake.

The cement TS surprised me, but I did correctly predict someone was going to guess concrete (since so many people mix those up).  I wasn't expecting glut to go unanswered, either.  Delinquency surprised me a bit at first, but I think when delinquent was ruled incorrect they thought it was something else entirely.

I almost ran the first round, but I didn't know Dobby (I know absolutely nothing about The Deathly Hallows other than it exists).

If not for the TV shows category, I'd have kicked ass in DJ as well; I ran bays, economics, tools, and technology and only missed two in arts.  But the only show I could come up with was Girls (I've never seen it, but I know it's Lena Dunham's).

FJ came to me quickly.  I've been to Washington D.C. several times, and have been to both Ford's Theater and the Hoover building, but I think there's a specific reason it sprang to mind as it did -- looking back, I recall that I was in Ford's Theater on a dreadfully humid day (and this was back well before the renovations which improved so many things, including the HVAC system), so I think the relief of being able to go so quickly from there to the nicely-chilled FBI headquarters is somehow still in my subconscious mind.  Because I can't explain otherwise why I didn't need to spend more time thinking about notorious locations in D.C. to guess that one.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The cement TS surprised me, but I did correctly predict someone was going to guess concrete (since so many people mix those up). 

My father worked as a dispatcher for trucks carrying concrete (usually called cement trucks) if someone mixed the two terms up he was liable to lecture them on the difference, so I knew cement was the correct answer. Portland cement is used to make concrete.

I think standard record sizes were 45, 33⅓, and 78, I did guess the right one, I remember we had a couple of bright orange Disney (78) records.

I got all the Novel deaths, not sure what that says about me.

I did get FJ, not sure why it came to me but I knew it had to be in D.C. and infamous and that's what my brain came up with.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

My mom answered 45 to the clue tonight 😂 I thought that was kind of her. I'm sure Diana Ross would appreciate it.

She'd love that!  I hope she reads Primetimer. ;)  A friend of a friend on Facebook said Diana would probably have sent him a signed picture if he'd guessed she was 33⅓.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, my instant response was, “Watergate! That was an easy one”.  That’s what I get for being smug. 

“Grassy knoll” was a head scratcher, though. Maybe she thought the FBI headquarters is in Dallas? And not to make fun of Suzy, because she has more guts than me to even go on the show, but “mar-kwiss”?? Is that an acceptable pronunciation? Because I have never heard it said that way.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

And not to make fun of Suzy, because she has more guts than me to even go on the show, but “mar-kwiss”?? Is that an acceptable pronunciation? Because I have never heard it said that way.

Yes, it's listed as the first pronunciation in the OED. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

All I could think was Watergate.  I've even been to ford's theater and dont recall that building near it. 

I call BS on delinquent not being accepted vs delinquency.  Had to be exactly in the middle?  This is why them being more lax on the rules gets them in trouble.  As mentioned you take 90210 when the name is Beverly hills 90210, titles are supposed to be exact I thought, you take Bush instead of the full name of one of the two president bushes, but it's one letter off from the middle in a variant of the answer and you turn than down?   The show is getting pretty murky on their standards. 

Also he will always be sideshow Luke perry to me

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I call BS on delinquent not being accepted vs delinquency.  Had to be exactly in the middle?  This is why them being more lax on the rules gets them in trouble.  As mentioned you take 90210 when the name is Beverly hills 90210, titles are supposed to be exact I thought, you take Bush instead of the full name of one of the two president bushes, but it's one letter off from the middle in a variant of the answer and you turn than down?   The show is getting pretty murky on their standards. 

I want to say when the rules are clearly spelled out when they reveal the categories, like "this letter is exactly in the middle," they have no room for giving leeway like they do with names or titles, but a couple weeks ago they accepted just a last name for a category that was clearly noted to need a two-word response (with specific initials). They really are getting sloppy and it bugs me. (I do not blame Mayim for that, unless she's ruling without a nod from the judges and then they don't want to reverse it after they've moved on because it's not the contestants' fault.)

• Like 4
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Maybe she thought the FBI headquarters is in Dallas?

Or didn't know that "The J. Edgar Hoover Building" referred to FBI headquarters?  There's no telling how various people's brains will approach a clue.  It's easy to seize on "notorious" and lose sight of the other hints.

If you know Washington D.C. geography, that would have ruled out Watergate.  Watergate is next to the Kennedy Center, along the Potomac, a pretty fair distance from the Hoover Building.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

My brain was working better last night. I got the missed DD of 78, cement, and chisel. 
I correctly knew that FJ was Ford's Theater. Last month I was in NYC and they had a fashion exhibit at the MET. I was able to view the coat Lincoln was wearing when he was assassinated, as well as the overcoat that George Washington wore while being sworn in as President. It was fabulous. It included many other notable pieces of fashion such as the gown Jackie Kennedy wore at her wedding and one of Martha Washington’s dresses. I was amazed at how small MW’s waist was. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

That was a good game to watch and a decent game for me.

I got the ts's of purr, cement, screw, glut, and chisel, plus the missed DD of 78.

Not an instaget FJ but I came to Ford's theatre pretty quickly although "notorious" is not exactly how I would describe it.

Edited by Trey
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1