Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 4/13/2022 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

Man, I begged for the 64-crayon set with the sharpener, and I was just thrilled when I finally got it.  That was the best ever crayon set.

I never did get one. Dad farmed, and some years were pretty lean, so we couldn’t afford it.

19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I couldn't take after life.  I didn't find it funny just him being a jerk...I know that's sorta his persona but it's just too much in that one

I was recommended After Life by someone who was recently widowed very young (and we are also intensely affected by that death) and found it masterful. I’ve never seen a more realistic portrayal of deep and intense grief as on that show. Since we are also dealing with elderly dementia parents in nursing homes, that aspect was also spot on.

What is the reason for people posting their personal Jeopardy results here? Is there some sort of Primetimer contest or tournament I’m not aware of?

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Shermie said:

What is the reason for people posting their personal Jeopardy results here? Is there some sort of Primetimer contest or tournament I’m not aware of?

There's a final jeopardy contest here: 

but other than that, I think it's just that some people want to share how they did.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2022 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

Man, I begged for the 64-crayon set with the sharpener, and I was just thrilled when I finally got it.  That was the best ever crayon set.

I only had the eight-crayon box as a kid, so I bought myself the 64-crayon box sometime in my thirties!

• Love 15

I’m 64 and every September stand in front of the school supplies having an internal debate.  I swear part of my childhood was messed up because I only ever got the 8 pack. At least they were Crayola brand.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I’m 64 and every September stand in front of the school supplies having an internal debate.  I swear part of my childhood was messed up because I only ever got the 8 pack. At least they were Crayola brand.

We usually got the 24 pack for school, but we had a 64 at home.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Where did that sausage photo come from? Hilarious! And has nothing to do with the FJ Contest!

It must have pulled a random photo posted in the thread. It was Mindthinkr's contribution to the virtual dinner party; it's on page 25.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/14/2022 at 4:08 PM, possibilities said:

The TOC is going to be rough. If we have a three way game with Matt, Amy, and Mattea, I'm going to want all of them to win.

I'm going to want Amy or Matt to annihilate Mattea.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Where did that sausage photo come from? Hilarious! And has nothing to do with the FJ Contest!

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It must have pulled a random photo posted in the thread. It was Mindthinkr's contribution to the virtual dinner party; it's on page 25.

Huh.  When I posted that link to the FJ contest thread, I went to the first post in the current season's thread, clicked the 3 dots, and selected "share".  Then I pasted that into my response (above).  No idea how/why that photo got included.  It's not even one that I see "featured" in the sidebar.  But now I'm hungry.

If anyone knows a better way to link to a thread, please share!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Huh.  When I posted that link to the FJ contest thread, I went to the first post in the current season's thread, clicked the 3 dots, and selected "share".  Then I pasted that into my response (above).  No idea how/why that photo got included.  It's not even one that I see "featured" in the sidebar.  But now I'm hungry.

If anyone knows a better way to link to a thread, please share!

I copied the thread's URL and pasted it into a comment box and it pulled in the same picture (I didn't post it; I just wanted to see if the same picture would come up).

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I copied the thread's URL and pasted it into a comment box and it pulled in the same picture (I didn't post it; I just wanted to see if the same picture would come up).

I guess that means this site gives all thumbs up for @Mindthinkr's sausage dinner. I agree!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Ken has skipped 52 clues in 116 non-tournament games.  Mayim has skipped 44 clues in 65 non-tournament games.  In very rough terms, these numbers indicate that about 50% more clues are skipped under Mayim than under Ken.

Another stat just for fun: 12 games under Mayim and 20 games under Ken have featured at least 1 skipped clue.  This makes an average of 2.6 clues skipped per Ken game with skipped clues and 3.667 clues skipped per Mayim game with skipped clues.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I like Mattea but I wish she’d stop the hand flapping.

I was watching an old episode of GSNs, The Chase, and started noticing that Mark (the Beast), waves his hands around when he's answering in the final chase. I think its a 'tic' that helps them focus or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just read Arabian Nights last year, but my mind did not go there.  I didn't come up with anything.

I got the missed clue of Carefree.

I did fairly well.  I didn't run anything, but there were 6 categories I only missed one.

Slightly funny, for the Franco answer I said Juan Carlos.  I knew that, I just pulled a Katy.

• Love 3

I should have gotten FJ, having recently watched "Aladdin", but alas, nothing would come to me.  "After dinner" did not clue me in at all to nights.  

The only TS I got were out of hand, carefree, and index.

• Love 5

I enjoy FJs that can be puzzled out.  I didn't know that translator but I got lucky and teased "1001 Nights" from the clue.  "Dessert Stories" was an interesting creative guess.  It doesn't sound implausible, like maybe Kipling wrote them after "Just So Stories."  "How the Sundae Got its Cherry"? "The Alaska that Baked Itself"? I'd read those!

It was interesting to hear that Mattea belonged to a bridge club in high school.  I don't recall any clubs around non-athletic games at any school I attended, other than chess club and quiz bowl.  My mother loves bridge but I don't think I have the focus for it!  I'd make more of an effort if it was something she was eager to do together, but I think she prefers to play with her girlfriends, and they bring better refreshments than I would anyway. ;)

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I don't recall any clubs around non-athletic games at any school I attended, other than chess club and quiz bowl. 

I don't either. But, it's not a bad idea.  There could be a board game club where you play different games each week.  Or, just a Scrabble club  That would be awesome.

• Love 2

Kinda meh game...63% / 73% / 67%

The only thing I ran was Airlines, and my TSes were troll, Spirit Airlines, Carefree gum, and index fossils. Got all the Daily Doubles but no FJ.

It's my parents' anniversary (52 years!) so I stopped to get them a gift card and then went to drop it off on my way home (after getting out of work an hour late, again), so I had to watch on youtube and the only videos I could find had the sound so low I had to use headphones and turn my computer volume up all the way just to hear it decently...then every time this site dinged at me in the background it was so loud! (Also got a sudden ad in the middle of the first segment that was also deafening, so after that I had my right hand marking my scorecard and my left hand ready to yank the earbuds out of my ears in case of another ad...which never came). Then the sound and video were slightly out of sync for most of it; good thing I'm not trying to read anyone's lips.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I give Ken full points for delivering an accurate Canadian pronunciation of "about" and not a lazy "aboot".

Kudos to whoever wrote that intro, and Ken for his delivery. I got a good giggle out of it, which I really needed tonight.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Kudos to whoever wrote that intro, and Ken for his delivery. I got a good giggle out of it, which I really needed tonight.

I was thinking there better not be any leftover clues because of that long intro!

To no avail, I was yelling “Wichita! Wichita! You dolts!”

And I’m finding Mattea’s commentary and mannerisms increasingly annoying. 

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I was thinking there better not be any leftover clues because of that long intro!

To no avail, I was yelling “Wichita! Wichita! You dolts!”

And I’m finding Mattea’s commentary and mannerisms increasingly annoying. 

I yelled at my TV too. Haven’t these people seen a map. They are the only 2 cities of size in that area of Kansas (sorry Salinas). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I enjoy FJs that can be puzzled out.  I didn't know that translator but I got lucky and teased "1001 Nights" from the clue. 

Same here, I didn't know the guy they named, but I was able to figure it out in time.

I would have been embarrassed if I got any of the Airlines category clues wrong...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I give Ken full points for delivering an accurate Canadian pronunciation of "about" and not a lazy "aboot".

Same, but I have to take a point away for referring to Mattea as a law school tutor when she's an LSAT tutor.

I wonder if I just notice them because of the invasion that started between tape date and air date or if there really have been more Ukraine clues than is typical over the same time period.  Maybe, knowing it was likely to happen, the writers had Ukraine on their mind more than usual.

The index TS surprised me a bit, as did carefree.

I found it fun that two clues in a row - Wichita and Galveston - made me think of Glen Campbell songs.

I missed three in fantasy fiction, which was not at all surprising since that is not my genre (I only got two because I only had to translate blanca and rioja, and then I guessed a magical Chinese martial art would be the umbrella term kung fu).  Other than that, I had a great first round, only missing Ty.

In DJ, I only ran the geography and geology categories, but still did really well overall, only missing six clues among the others.

I didn't get FJ, though; like Sarah, I was trying to think of something with dessert rather than something with night.  Oops.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I wonder if I just notice them because of the invasion that started between tape date and air date or if there really have been more Ukraine clues than is typical over the same time period.  Maybe, knowing it was likely to happen, the writers had Ukraine on their mind more than usual.

They seem to have stopped with the 'we taped this before the war started' disclaimers (though they're getting closer to it; this episode was taped on February 9).

7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get FJ, though; like Sarah, I was trying to think of something with dessert rather than something with night.  Oops.

The closest I got was "it must not be European," based on the "first Western translator" bit in the clue. I was stuck in China or Japan but coming up blank before time ran out.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, yeah, I was thinking, that’s the Jeopardy curse with a vengeance right there. 

I don't think I got anything right. I was just so distracted by my joy of having Ken back for another week. Plus, music categories tend to get my attention more than anything....and FJ was a bit "huh?" but you put "world" in front of any word in a category and I'm already lost. 

I had a "world studies" class in high school and almost flunked because my best friend and I  spent the entire hour passing notes of music lyrics to each other...So, yeah, that's my weak spot...

• Love 2

So if Caitlin, "a musician and educator from North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada"–—with the great story about continuing to play the piano on stage when her bench was decimated—–had bet it all for FJ, she would have been the new champion with $19,600 (which I guess, as a Canadian, she doesn't have to pay 50% in taxes??) instead of succeeding in winning $2000 instead of $1000. That definitely trumps Mattea's regrets at not betting more for DD.

1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

I like Mattea but I wish she’d stop the hand flapping.

I too "talk with my hands." I think I even missed out on a final level job interview because of it; one of the interviewers was side-eyeing my hands. I think I managed to stop after that, but it was too late. It's part of the thought processing process.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m relieved. I got FJ. I have my 3 grandkids here and didn’t want to look like a dunce. 

Good job!
Fortunately my little grandson is just 3 months old, and his cousin just turned 1, so they wouldn't be judging me when I missed FJ.

4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The closest I got was "it must not be European," based on the "first Western translator" bit in the clue. I was stuck in China or Japan but coming up blank before time ran out.

Same. I didn't even get to India, never mind the Middle East.

I wouldn't be a retired academic librarian if I had not known the TS of "Index," (which I did). 
I was yelling at Mattea "The Last Supper!" (I'm also a former Art Major and fan of Leonardo since elementary school) which she got at the last minute to clinch one of her 3 DDs. 

She definitely some stiff competition this evening.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I was just so distracted by my joy of having Ken back for another week.

May your joy be extended. From The Jeopardy Fan:

In case anyone is wondering, as well: Ken Jennings is also hosting the week of April 25 (and presumably the week of May 2), as I have seen a contestant photo with Ken for a contestant playing the week of April 25.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

They seem to have stopped with the 'we taped this before the war started' disclaimers (though they're getting closer to it; this episode was taped on February 9).

I guessed that the producers didn't think a disclaimer was necessary because the clue was a neutral statement of fact, "Volodymyr Zelensky was a comedian before becoming president of this neighbor of Russia," about a noncontroversial issue (by which I mean that Zelensky's background is unrelated to the current conflict).

I think the clues that got disclaimers had tone more than content problems.  There was the one that was flip about Putin's strongman tendencies ("this Russian president says he doesn't plan to run again next time...yeah right!" or something like that) and the one that described a "border dispute" a bit more flatly than it probably would have after tanks started rolling into Kyiv.

So I took those disclaimers principally as an "oof, we would've written these differently now" mea culpa, with a side of "don't bother sending us letters, if you didn't know we tape months in advance, now you do," which wouldn't really apply for tonight's clue.  Only the wackiest of the wacky would have complained about tonight's clue.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

853fisher, by "skipped clues" do you mean TS, or do you mean clues that go unrevealed because they ran out of time?

Clues unrevealed because they ran out of time, yes.

1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I am finding the long intros really annoying at this point. 

I found Ken's intro tonight interminable, and not half as funny as it seems many others did.  (On the other hand, I found "that one was gnu to me too" hysterical.)

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I think the clues that got disclaimers had tone more than content problems.  There was the one that was flip about Putin's strongman tendencies ("this Russian president says he doesn't plan to run again next time...yeah right!" or something like that) and the one that described a "border dispute" a bit more flatly than it probably would have after tanks started rolling into Kyiv.

They didn't put up a "taped on X date" notation for the "uh, sure, man" clue, just the "serious border issues" one.  I don't think there have been any others, just that one where it specifically referenced an ongoing dispute and aired so shortly - less than two weeks - after the invasion began (I can't confirm, because suddenly there is no internal search on the archive, it goes to a Google search of site:j-archive.com, which I find something quite close to useless compared to how the in-site search function presented results).

Edited by Bastet
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They didn't put up a "taped on X date" notation for the "uh, sure, man" clue, just the "serious border issues" one.  I don't think there have been any others, just that one where it specifically referenced an ongoing dispute and aired so shortly - less than two weeks - after the invasion began (I can't confirm, because suddenly there is no internal search on the archive, it goes to a Google search of site:j-archive.com, which I find something quite close to useless).

The daily Reddit thread indicates the clue did have that notation.  Interesting that the J! Archive, which includes a record of comments beyond the clues and responses, doesn't seem to make a note of that.  I do miss the way their search used to work (I think they had some kind of technical difficulty a short while ago - maybe it's coming back.)  God love 'em just the same!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The daily Reddit thread indicates the clue did have that notation.  Interesting that the J! Archive, which includes a record of comments beyond the clues and responses, doesn't seem to make a note of that.

You're right - I only checked the archive, which doesn't note it (I want nothing to do with the misogynist cesspool that is Reddit, no matter how benign any given thread may be, so I didn't know there was J! information to be found there), but now looking at the posts here about that episode, there are a couple of references to it, so they did put up a "taped on X date" note for that one, too.  Which I find rather silly; the first one warranted it for those who don't think about the time difference between taping and airing, since it was specifically about the territory dispute, but a clue about Putin running for re-election in 2024, with no mention of Ukraine, didn't seem to need the same notation.  They've backed off it, at any rate, as subsequent Ukraine clues have been left to stand without any disclaimer.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I too "talk with my hands." I think I even missed out on a final level job interview because of it; one of the interviewers was side-eyeing my hands. I think I managed to stop after that, but it was too late. It's part of the thought processing process.

I often talk with my hands, too. I tend to be a visual thinker, and find that some kinds of gesturing, like mimicking shapes, can even help me find the right words. But there’s talking with your hands, and there’s… flapping like a nervous bird about to step out of the nest. Maybe she just needs to mix it up and try something new, like finger guns when she selects a clue, or jazz hands when she gets a daily double! (Or not.) 

I was pretty pleased with myself for being able to reason out FJ. But I thought the official name of the book was “1001 Arabian Nights”? I was surprised when the abbreviated version was accepted. (And then disappointed because for a hot second I thought we had a new champion.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I got FJ instantly, but wavered on whether the name was “Arabian Nights” or “1001 Arabian Nights.” I finally decided my answer was “1001 Arabian Nights.” Reading on Wikipedia now, it looks like it’s known as either “Arabian Nights” or “1001 Nights” so I guess I’d probably have been ruled incorrect.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I yelled at my TV too. Haven’t these people seen a map. They are the only 2 cities of size in that area of Kansas (sorry Salinas). 

I wasn't sure we had to stay inside the state lines of Kansas.

I decided, since I had no idea, "Bedtime Stories" might be the answer. NEVER thought about the Arabian Nights.

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I got FJ instantly, but wavered on whether the name was “Arabian Nights” or “1001 Arabian Nights.” I finally decided my answer was “1001 Arabian Nights.” Reading on Wikipedia now, it looks like it’s known as either “Arabian Nights” or “1001 Nights” so I guess I’d probably have been ruled incorrect.

Didn't Ken say 1001 Arabian Nights was acceptable?  That's what I said too and I am giving myself credit for it.

My only ts's were trolls and Carefree gum.

Mattea's hand waving is probably a family trait and she probably doesn't even realize she's doing it. She could cut down on the extraneous comments though. 

I liked all the contestants but was hoping Caitlin would win.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I found it fun that two clues in a row - Wichita and Galveston - made me think of Glen Campbell songs.

Good catch!

Someone on JBoard commented that the entire category of West of the Mississippi had references to songs written by Jimmy Webb, which would include those two songs, MacArthur Park, and references to Hoover Dam in his song, The Highwayman.

Edited by Trey
Added info.
  • Useful 6
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wasn't sure we had to stay inside the state lines of Kansas.

The clue was, "On the Kansas turnpike, it's about 8 bucks cash to drive from Topeka to this bigger city 140 miles southwest" which would indicate that it's within Kansas, since the Kansas Turnpike ends at the Oklahoma state line. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I found Ken's intro tonight interminable, and not half as funny as it seems many others did.

Yeah, my thought was "I hope all those people who claim that Ken is so much more respectful to the contestants than Mayim is are listening to this absolutely cringe-inducing little stand-up routine."

• Love 7

Happy to have gotten three FJs in a row, going back to last week!

And I would never dare ask this on Twitter or Reddit, because I'm sure I'd get ripped to shreds, but since I feel like I'm among friends here...is the champion sometimes not wearing a bra?  As someone who would probably be arrested for indecent exposure if I ever dared leave my house without one, lol, it's just one of those things I can't help but notice.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

Happy to have gotten three FJs in a row, going back to last week!

And I would never dare ask this on Twitter or Reddit, because I'm sure I'd get ripped to shreds, but since I feel like I'm among friends here...is the champion sometimes not wearing a bra?  As someone who would probably be arrested for indecent exposure if I ever dared leave my house without one, lol, it's just one of those things I can't help but notice.

Truthfully I’ve never noticed. Since you mentioned it I’ll be looking tonight in a non creepy way. I think all of us here are a nice bunch and I don’t believe we have ever “ripped anyone to shreds”. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I found Ken's intro tonight interminable, and not half as funny as it seems many others did.  (On the other hand, I found "that one was gnu to me too" hysterical.)

23 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Yeah, my thought was "I hope all those people who claim that Ken is so much more respectful to the contestants than Mayim is are listening to this absolutely cringe-inducing little stand-up routine."

I thought the punchline for that routine was buried in the middle, where the many famous Canadians Ken mentioned included one of their writers.  I got a chuckle out of that, but I wouldn't want to hear something similar every day.  Maybe every time someone from a previously unrepresented country becomes a 10-time champion?

• Love 7