Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Re: Jack Reacher. I was screaming at the TV: LEE CHILD (a good friend).

Trivia on Lee. He thought of the name Jack Reacher when he was reaching for something on a grocery shelf.

Re: Names. People call me Deni, but I use my full name -Denise- on my books. I was writing during the day and waiting tables at night with another Denise when the manager shouted, "Denise, where are you?" I said, "Hey, I'm right here" and he said, "I mean the real Denise" 😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think it would be a disadvantage for a player to have to use a new or unfamiliar-to-them nickname during gameplay. It would slow down the realization that you were being called on, or increase the incidence of a contestant answering when they were not called on.

Totally agree. I wonder if you'd be given the option. Like a) You can go on, but we'll call you by your middle name, or b) You can wait until the champion with a name like yours loses.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

One perk of having a "different" name is there's never another one in your class. The downside is no one pronounces it right (and you can never find it on a mug or a Christmas ornament).

Yup. And if there's no one famous with that name, and it doesn't rhyme with anything, you're doomed to a life of correcting people. My name is Joëlle, which in English I typically spell without the diaeresis, but even so I get a lot of, "what's those two dots for?"

Edited by Sokarys
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I live in Texas, so of course I got tornado

Hrmph. I’m not sure if it was a Burden of Knowledge scenario for me (I may or may not be a little obsessed with the weather) or maybe a little PTSD, but I lived in Illinois most of my life, and spent too much time waiting in basements for the “All Clear,” so I spent the 30 seconds:

• Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado . . . Hurricane.

No FJ for me.

On the old Match Game reruns, Gene Rayburn used to admonish the contestants to go with their first guesses. Maybe that’s good advice for FJ too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Allein is lovely! It also reminds me of Allyn McLerie, who was big in musical theater and also worked in film and TV. She passed away in 2018. I doubt she had much luck finding her name printed on souvenirs either.

Common names can have other sillier pitfalls. My mother, meant to be named for my great-grandmother, is Ann instead of Annie because my grandmother wrongly assumed that Annie was a diminutive, although she never went by Ann. Grammy didn't want to ask because it would have spoiled the surprise!

Thanks :) I didn't always think so (grew up being called alien...I guess there are worse nicknames that schoolchildren come up with, but still...). 

My first name is my mom's middle name; her first name is one of the most common names out there, but she goes by her middle name (for the most part). This started with her mother (who died before I was born and we are both named after). My middle name is an alteration of their first name (changed simply because it sounded better when she switched the order) because she wanted to name me the same but decided not to saddle me with going by a middle name on top of a name that makes people look at it and go "uhh.." like she was. 

Would moving people just because of their name be an issue with the way they assign the players to games by randomly picking the names? Seems unfair if you don't get to play just because someone with the same name is on a streak.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I worked with four Daves and three Adams at one point. There was Dave B, Dave C, and Dave (also C) who mostly worked in receiving so we just called that phone instead of paging if we needed him specifically, and another Dave B (who only worked on his college breaks so he wasn't around a lot) and we just used his full name when he was there. Then there was Adam, Adam C, (who also worked in receiving; brother of Dave in receiving), and the third Adam just went by his last name (it was even on his name tag).

My husband's a Dave. When I met him, a band member, a former band member (and friend), and his best friend were all Daves. We always referred to the others by their last name and everyone called him Dave (which is odd, as he was the late comer in his band).

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

One perk of having a "different" name is there's never another one in your class. The downside is no one pronounces it right (and you can never find it on a mug or a Christmas ornament).

Fortunately, my name is easily pronounced even though it's "different." But ever single name I had (maiden and married) could - and were often - misspelled.

Only once did I ever find a mug with my name on it, and I bought it even though I didn't like it because I was so excited to see it.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was bouncing back and fort between earthquake and landed on tornado because of the movie Twister.

I was clueless - ended up with Hurricane, though my husband who grew up in the "right" area knew it right off.
 I must admit, @ams1001, that when I read your name I read it with the German pronunciation - since that's my background. And because in German, generally speaking, when "two vowels go walking, the second one does the talking" (if any of you remember that old spelling rhyme).

It was an okay game for me. Not great, but not bad either.

I did like the dinosaur dress. My first child's room was decorated with similar dinosaurs, and she still has the dinosaur stuffed animal I bought her just before I went into labor.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I worked with four Daves and three Adams at one point. There was Dave B, Dave C, and Dave (also C) who mostly worked in receiving so we just called that phone instead of paging if we needed him specifically, and another Dave B (who only worked on his college breaks so he wasn't around a lot) and we just used his full name when he was there. Then there was Adam, Adam C, (who also worked in receiving; brother of Dave in receiving), and the third Adam just went by his last name (it was even on his name tag).

Brings to mind the Kids in the Hall song "The Daves I Know."

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Leeds said:

How many customers/colleagues called you Percy Phone?

I don't remember customers using my name (not to me, anyway) but coworkers did eventually shorten it to Percy on occasion.

I did okay last night, not as good as usual but better than Monday night.  I did get FJ, although I went back and forth between tornado and hurricane a couple of times.

• Love 1

For FJ I went back and forth between tornado and hurricane then settled on tsunami.

I did get Jutland and Sibelius, don't remember any other ts's.

Edited by Trey
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I've always wondered how "Persephone" is pronounced. How do/did you pronounce it?

I've always heard it pronounced "per-sef-a-nee".  That could be entirely wrong, though, since I'm basing it on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

My husband's a Dave. When I met him, a band member, a former band member (and friend), and his best friend were all Daves. We always referred to the others by their last name and everyone called him Dave (which is odd, as he was the late comer in his band).

One of my favorite Dr. Seuss stories is "Too Many Daves," which is in the Sneetches and Other Stories. It's about Mrs. McCave, who had 23 sons and she named them all Dave. :)

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I must admit, @ams1001, that when I read your name I read it with the German pronunciation - since that's my background. And because in German, generally speaking, when "two vowels go walking, the second one does the talking" (if any of you remember that old spelling rhyme).

Not familiar with that rhyme, but I always know if someone speaks German because that's their first guess. I had a professor in college who did the same thing on the first day of class. (The story goes that my grandmother had a twin brother who died at birth and that's how she got the middle name. Seems like an odd thing to want to be reminded of every time you call your kid for dinner, but maybe things were different in 1910. I've also been told it's an old Irish name, and given that that side of the family is, as far as I know, Irish-German, either is plausible. Both of these come from my mom's older siblings and my grandmother died ten years before I was born so no one alive now knows what's really true.)

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

One of my favorite Dr. Seuss stories is "Too Many Daves," which is in the Sneetches and Other Stories. It's about Mrs. McCave, who had 23 sons and she named them all Dave. :)

Was she related to George Foreman?

• LOL 13
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Not familiar with that rhyme, but I always know if someone speaks German because that's their first guess. I had a professor in college who did the same thing on the first day of class. (The story goes that my grandmother had a twin brother who died at birth and that's how she got the middle name. Seems like an odd thing to want to be reminded of every time you call your kid for dinner, but maybe things were different in 1910. I've also been told it's an old Irish name, and given that that side of the family is, as far as I know, Irish-German, either is plausible. Both of these come from my mom's older siblings and my grandmother died ten years before I was born so no one alive now knows what's really true.)

Dave was a very popular name in the 50's (and probably in other decades as well) I'll have to look for the Suess book. :)

There's an old American spelling rhyme (I am old...) that went "when two vowels go a walking, the first one does the talking." Here's a song about it:

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

but I lived in Illinois most of my life, and spent too much time waiting in basements for the “All Clear,” so I spent the 30 seconds:

• Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado Tornado . . . Hurricane.

I still live in Illinois and almost did what you did but managed to hang on to Tornado so I got FJ.

At one point in time my daughters had 3 Uncle Dave's (still have two of them) however in my entire school days I only ever heard of 1 or 2 other Donna's. (that's me)

I thought Subway had been a clue recently so I looked, it was in January in Place Your Fast Food Order

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Brings to mind the Kids in the Hall song "The Daves I Know."

You beat me to it! (One of my favorite KITH things, by the way. It never fails to make me laugh.)

Now that song is going to be running through my head all day…

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 2

I never considered hurricane. We see them coming days ahead of time. True, their violence may be hard to predict, but we know far enough ahead of time, Miamians can run to Lindsley Lumber & buy up all the plywood to board up the windows. Can't do that with a tornado.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never considered hurricane. We see them coming days ahead of time.

The 1938 hurricane that hit Long Island (NY) and New England killed about 682 people.  In 1938 our ability to track and predict a hurricane was minimal.  I don't know how much it had improved by 1950. (Remember: no satellites in 1950.)

Edited by Driad
  • Love 5

Catching up from last night -- I waffled between hurricane and tornado, but decided in the end on tornado because they are less predictable.  Hurricanes have not always been as predictable as they are now (read "Isaac's Storm" about the Galveston hurricane in 1900), but they don't generally seem to come out of nowhere like tornadoes sometimes still do.  

The only TS I got were Flushing and saber dance.

Late to the party for the name discussion, but I have what was once a very very common name.  There were five of us in my high school class of 42 people, and we all had to go by FirstName LastName.  There were just not enough nicknames to go around.  And while mugs and keychains and whatnot with my name existed, they were usually sold out.

• Love 6

"Terp-sick-oar-ee" is how I've always heard it, with the emphasized syllable being the "sick"... not that I hear it a lot. But I did study Greek mythology a little bit, a long time ago, which is when I heard it.

It never occurred to me that hurricanes and tornadoes weren't predictable. We get the hurricane forecasts and tornado warnings all the time here. Isn't that why they built shelters and sirens? Because you could see and feel them coming? 

But I forgot about how that all might be new-ish. Anyway, I was waffling between earthquake and tsunami. I still don't think earthquakes are being routinely predicted with much precision (I hear things like "sometime in the next 50 years, we'll have a big one in the region") but we do get tsunamis being predicted now, sometimes, after earthquakes at sea.

ETA: whenever I forget a guy's name, I always think it's "Mike". 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7

I would have laughed so hard if Mayim was a TS.

I ran three categories in J! - Call Me Sometime, Numerical Phrases, and Can I Make You a Drink? - and missed one in NYC Neighborhoods. Only got one in Succession and two in Bowls. IN DJ I ran nothing and got three in every category except Science and Texting Abbreviations where I got two each.

I got zero TSes but FJ was an instaget.

• Love 7

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  So much so that I questioned it for the entire 30 seconds, but couldn't come up with anything else McConaughey was known for saying.

The only TS I got was drag.  Oh, wait, that was a missed DD, so I guess I didn't get any TS.  I feel like I should have gotten Spiro Agnew, but I forgot and/or didn't understand the category. This is why you need to start at the top, people! 

• Love 5

"What is 'unintelligible'?"  I like that woman.  Bwaahahahaha.

In the 1944 movie, "Up in Arms,"  Danny Kaye and companions are waiting in the theater lobby to go see a movie. So, of course, Kaye has to act out the entire movie, including the credits, while they're waiting.  During the credits sequence, he sings, "Terpsichore by Hickory and Dickery by Dock."  And that's how *I* remember how to pronounce it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

It never occurred to me that hurricanes and tornadoes weren't predictable. We get the hurricane forecasts and tornado warnings all the time here. Isn't that why they built shelters and sirens? Because you could see and feel them coming? 

Hurricanes are more predictable than tornados, but a long time ago they were both harder. A good scene in “Places in the Heart” (Sally Field, Danny Glover) is when a tornado hits. Terrifying how quickly it came up and how unpredictable the path was. I lived in Wichita in the 1980s when there were several bad storms (hail, tornadoes etc.). There was some warning but not a lot. Here on the East Coast, we usually get plenty of warning for hurricanes and nor’easters, but the paths aren’t all that predictable. Also look at the Galveston hurricane of 1900. 

• Love 3

Now I really question the randomness of the boards...what if Mayim had been host when the clue about her came up? But yes, I would have laughed/cringed if it was a TS. It's just awkward.

I couldn't wrap my head around the wording for FJ. I couldn't tell what it was asking, not being remotely familiar with Dazed and Confused.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I couldn't wrap my head around the wording for FJ. I couldn't tell what it was asking, not being remotely familiar with Dazed and Confused.

Same here, in case it helps.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Driad said:
16 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Same here, in case it helps.

And me. I came up with 'ad libbed' as an answer.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I don't remember much about Dazed and Confused except I remember not liking it when I saw it. I just know he's known for that phrase.

• Love 5
On 3/15/2022 at 9:38 AM, Trey said:
On 3/15/2022 at 9:18 AM, MrAtoz said:

I knew Gallipoli from the Eric Bogle song "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda," based on the mention of Suvla Bay ("In that hell that they called Suvla Bay, we were butchered like lambs at the slaughter...").

That's how I got it too! Written by Eric Bogle but it's the Liam Clancy/Tommy Makem version I am familiar with.

This is not the first time the lyrics of a song have helped me to a Jeopardy answer, when it is not even a music question.

I'd have to turn in my Pogues/Shane MacGowan fan card if I'd missed Gallipoli!  There's an awesome video on YouTube of their version - wonderful, poignant vintage photos of what I think of as "both of my Grandpas' War" (my Dad was WWII/D-Day.)  My only little tiny peeve with it is that Shane sings "♪♫...But year after year, their numbers get fewer..." instead of " But year after year, old men disappear....♪♫" --  which I think is not only more emotionally moving, but also a better rhyme. But I can live with it.

Oh, what the heck, give it a listen :-)

Speaking of WWI photos, I have a little collection of photos of WWI scenes in color.  Yes, color photography has existed for well over 100 years.

• Love 1

I knew this had to have taped shortly after Sidney Poitier's death, so checked the dates - yep, just 12 days later.

Solid game by Katie; the only one with no incorrect answers, she won without getting a DD.

I almost ran the first round, but I didn't know meerschaum or Carly Rae Jepson.  I looked up her song during commercial, and once the chorus kicked in I knew I'd heard it, I just didn't recognize the title (even if I had, I wouldn't have known who sang it).  I almost missed grenadine, too, being momentarily stuck at "that red stuff", but I spit it out just in time. 

In DJ, I only ran plays, but I still had a good round.  I got all but one in science and aviation, and missed two each in the rest.

I had no idea for FJ, though; I've never seen that movie, and never picked up that phrase via cultural osmosis.  So there was no recognition even once it was revealed.  Looking it up, I see it's a meme, but I've never come across it (I'm not on social media).  So it was one of those clues I had absolutely no shot at; that phrase wasn't anywhere in my brain for me to retrieve based on film or actor, or at all -- there was nothing else available to help me reason my way to it.  I hate when that happens.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Besides the mention of the late Sidney Poitier, there was the question about the city on the Black Sea, answer of Odessa, which is much in the news these days. 

I was wondering when this was taped, how close to the invasion it was.  A little over a month, if it was 12 days after Sidney Poitier's death.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I was wondering when this was taped, how close to the invasion it was.  A little over a month, if it was 12 days after Sidney Poitier's death.

According to the J! Archive this game was taped on January 18th.

Poitier died on the 6th.

Ukraine invasion started on February 24th (37 days later).

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I did say "Alright alright alright" before the FJ music stopped, but I might not have written it in time if I had been trying to do so.
I'm just now realizing that while we at home think of FJ as having a longer time to answer the clue, for the contestants, who have to write it, it's not really any longer than when they have to decide to buzz in and then ask the right question.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

The Wednesday FJ clue was very confusing:

• Matthew McConaughey said, "'Dazed & Confused', the first words I ever said on film were" these

Grammatically, when the clue writers added "these" at the end, perhaps they should have eliminated the comma after "said." IDK. Maybe they thought the correct response was too well known for FJ to not make the clue a little confusing.

I think I may actually have seen late night interviews with McConaughey after he won/was nominated for awards for Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective in 2014, in which he spoke the FJ response words, which are apparently his catch phrase ("Alright alright alright") and which also then served to express his feelings about having finally achieved respect as a serious actor. In interviews, McConaughey was then asked something like, "When did you first say those words?" (to which he would have responded with the entire quoted string of words in the clue.)

Perhaps uncharacteristically, I was a True Detective fan. I don't think I've ever seen McConaughey in anything else.

12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

FYI for Boston Jeopardy watchers. It will be on Channel 38 instead of Channel 4 tomorrow and Friday. 

Thanks for the heads up. Likewise, due to the NCAA Basketball Tournament, here in Rochester CBS will be airing Thursday's and Friday's Jeopardy! games at 3am. I will probably go to YouTube at 7pm-ish.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I had no idea for FJ, though; I've never seen that movie, and never picked up that phrase via cultural osmosis

I don’t really think knowing that movie was actually that important, I’ve never seen it but “alright, alright, alright” is know as his catchphrase and when he won all the awards several years ago he kept starting all his acceptance speeches with that phrase and saying it on every interview show. It’s become his thing, so it’s the first thing I associate him with. I never actually knew it was a line from a movie.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t really think knowing that movie was actually that important,

That's why it was just one thing I listed (it's a very rare clue where knowing one thing is the only way of getting it right) - I've never seen the film, never come across a meme, never heard him say it elsewhere, never even seen or heard the phrase quoted without knowing who/what was being referenced.  It was a pop culture thing not only well known enough to be appropriate for a FJ clue but correctly answered by two of the three contestants, yet was so completely undetected by my radar all these years I literally could have sat here until I died and still just shrugged.  Frustrating, but shit happens (especially with me and pop culture clues); I had a good game otherwise.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

We get tornado warnings all the time, too, but their paths shift so quickly that it’s very difficult to tell where they’re headed. Also, they can form so rapidly that sometimes you barely have enough time after the siren goes off to corral your three dogs, hunker down in a closet, and wait for the news guy on your phone to say it’s safe to come out. (Sigh.. it’s just about that season again.)

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't remember much about Dazed and Confused except I remember not liking it when I saw it. I just know he's known for that phrase.

Interesting that so many here don’t know Dazed and Confused, because I thought including the title made FJ far too easy. I thought it was well known that the line came from that movie. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen it, despite living in Austin for awhile. (That’s where the movie was set— and where it was filmed— for those who don’t know. It is sometimes credited for putting Austin on the map, both as a “cool” place to be, and a center of moviemaking activity.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 3

I thought the clue "August Wilson got the title for his play about this singer from her song that became a dance craze, 'The Black Bottom'" was badly written. The black bottom, a dance style related to the Charleston and popular among African-American communities in the South and in Harlem for some years, achieved national popularity in 1926 after it was performed by a white couple in the "George White's Scandals" revue. "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom," as original 78s are labeled, was not recorded until December 1927. It's inaccurate to say that song "became" the dance craze that predated it, and in fact, although it makes an anatomical pun on the dance's name, it's not much of a record to actually dance it to. I was glad to see Ma Rainey mentioned, but I wish the writers had used more care.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Re: FJ  At first, I thought that the "movie star" was in the quote (like, if Matthew had said "I am Robert Redford"). Then I realized he was the movie star, so I switched to the only thing he tends to ever say (which I just assume must be from that movie, having never seen it and having no desire to do so).

• Love 5