Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: New Patty

• Start Topic

(edited)

I liked how Allison subtly shot back at that condescending makeup saleswoman by calling her ma'am. You go girl!

While she will be judged, I understand why she slept with the asian alcoholic dude. His wife Jenn shaded her at the make-up store so Allison felt like she had to get back at her. Was it fair? No. Does Jenn deserve that? No. But that doesn't matter.

The plan of putting away Kevin is getting more and more convoluted and keeps involving more and more people. With more people involved, the chances keep growing that it will blow up in their face. And I was shocked to see there are only 3 episodes left. Only 8 episodes? Not even 10? That is way too little, this show better get renewed.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 2

While it was ultimately self-serving, I was glad Patty voiced her concerns over Allison's original plan not working. I too am not convinced that even a whole bottle of oxy could kill Kevin that fast, and if it took too long, authorities would wonder why Allison hadn't gotten him to the ER in time.

However, they are now complicating the plan even more by staging the death as drug-related and framing Kevin as the local dealer. In theory it eliminates both women's problems, but it also adds even more uncontrolled variables.

Sam seemed like a really cool guy the first couple episodes, but the more I see of him the more his vibes don't sit right with me. Allison is wrong for pursuing a married man (I don't really care that she herself is cheating on Kevin), but he's encouraging it by offering her a job. Jenn's a little shady (that undereye bag comment was uncalled for) but it's possible she has suspicions about Allison, and if that's the case I can't blame her for getting digs in where she can in absence of actual proof. Someone in the last thread also pointed out the slight age gap between Allison and Sam, which while not a problem now, is super sketchy for the time when they were first fooling around. Allison was 15 but Jenn was away at college, implying Sam was college-aged as well. Red flags all over the place.

Kevin's interrogations and Pepe Silvia board where chilling, honestly. He's rooting around in the car for clues after his wife uses it for exactly one day? It also seems like he was pretty much forcing her to keep working at the packie for the discount, another reason why he probably wanted her to lose the paralegal job.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Sam seemed like a really cool guy the first couple episodes, but the more I see of him the more his vibes don't sit right with me. Allison is wrong for pursuing a married man (I don't really care that she herself is cheating on Kevin), but he's encouraging it by offering her a job. Jenn's a little shady (that undereye bag comment was uncalled for) but it's possible she has suspicions about Allison, and if that's the case I can't blame her for getting digs in where she can in absence of actual proof. Someone in the last thread also pointed out the slight age gap between Allison and Sam, which while not a problem now, is super sketchy for the time when they were first fooling around. Allison was 15 but Jenn was away at college, implying Sam was college-aged as well. Red flags all over the place.

Kind of sends a bunch of red flags about Allison’s own toxicity too. She likes Sam because he’s different than Kevin, but she’s admitted before that she liked messing around with him as a big screw-you to Jenn more than anything else, and that’s why she’s messing around with him again. Yeah, it takes two to tango and he’s equally responsible for doing that to Jenn but still.

Allison said that Kevin doesn’t hesitate to blow up the world if things don’t go his way. Given what we’ve seen Allison do this far, is she really that different from him?

• Love 2
(edited)

Allison: "You think I can pull off big and violent?"

Patty: "No, Allison, look at your coat. We'd obviously need to outsource."

Patty and Allison together are gold!

I said in the E3 thread that Sam would cheat on Jenn with Allison again. It seems intentional that there are no "good" men on this show.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
(edited)

Nick sure looks like Marcus (auto shop guy). Maybe it's just me.

I thought in the first or second episode that they should definitely call it a "liquor store" in the sitcom world vs "package store" in the dramedy world. Glad to see it happen here. That said, it had been throwing me every time she said it in the first couple of episodes -- what, did she have a second job for UPS or something? I've only occasionally heard "package store" as a weird New Englandism.

"Doctors say quadruple bypass". See!!! Allison doesn't need pills! She just needs to butter Kevin up, literally. And salt. She should be getting burgers for him every day.

That said, I do like the idea of trying to solve both Patty and Allison's problems with Kevin's murder and frame-up.

Jon Glaser as New Patty! Fantastic. He looks so different here than Jeremy Jamm. I guess the difference in his hair from here to on Parks and Rec makes a big difference. It's a bit of a shame New Patty got written out. But then again, I guess if he had appeared on the dramedy side he would have been for-real terrifying, not just sitcom terrifying.

the fake hamburger “from” Top Dog gives the episode title a fun second meaning.

Edited by arc
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, arc said:

Nick sure looks like Marcus (auto shop guy). Maybe it's just me.

...I totally thought they were the same person, didn't realise until just now that it wasn't.

Man, those interrogation scenes were actually really uncomfortable, especially the first one. I like how they're taking bits that could absolutely happen in real sitcoms of this variety, but adding an extra layer of menace. In those shows the wife/friend would probably be unperturbed, exasperated, or even amused, but here we get to see them actually be terrified - which is honestly the accurate reaction to someone treating you that way.

I genuinely thought Allison had gone through with the pills in the burger and was horrified she was practically framing Patty - I assumed it just wouldn't work, like Patty said, which would lead to more issues. Discovering she decided to use the opportunity just to get Patty back in Kevin's good graces instead was a nice twist for me.

• Love 12
On 7/5/2021 at 7:02 AM, arc said:

It's a bit of a shame New Patty got written out. But then again, I guess if he had appeared on the dramedy side he would have been for-real terrifying, not just sitcom terrifying.

I think in some ways this illustrates how well the 'two-show' device is working. I kept waiting for new-Patty to cross into the real world and how utterly terrifying that would be. But he didn't need to. We could see him in the sitcom only, yet fully imagine what that meant he was really like. The same is true for the 'interrogation' scenes. We could see them in the sitcom, with the bright colours and the laugh track. Yet be able to fully imagine how that was really playing out. It's really very, very clever because 5 episodes in and we're totally able to see through the sitcom filter.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, AllyB said:

I think in some ways this illustrates how well the 'two-show' device is working. I kept waiting for new-Patty to cross into the real world and how utterly terrifying that would be. But he didn't need to. We could see him in the sitcom only, yet fully imagine what that meant he was really like. The same is true for the 'interrogation' scenes. We could see them in the sitcom, with the bright colours and the laugh track. Yet be able to fully imagine how that was really playing out. It's really very, very clever because 5 episodes in and we're totally able to see through the sitcom filter.

This times a million. I went from seeing the sitcom scenes as decent satire and a necessary framing device in the first couple episodes to actively finding them uncomfortable. That is such a hard thing to pull off and the show did it pretty seamlessly.

With the speculation of whether or not Kevin's abuse is physical as well as emotional/verbal/financial, this episode Allison had a bruise. She said (or Patty guessed and she didn't deny it?) that it was from when the trucker fell on her, but I'm skeptical. I'm also in the camp that predicts we will find out that Kevin actually threw the chili at her instead of accidentally spilling it, and I'm more than fine classifying throwing hot food at another person as physical abuse.

• Love 8
On 7/4/2021 at 11:38 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Allison said that Kevin doesn’t hesitate to blow up the world if things don’t go his way. Given what we’ve seen Allison do this far, is she really that different from him?

This show is about her breaking lifelong patterns. She’s been working at the package store (liquor store) for years. I have to assume that shitty customer this episode was the last straw, not the very first time someone’s been that rude to her there. I bet she’s meekly absorbed a lot of bad things for years without throwing a quit-her-job-and-have-sex-with-her-ex level tantrum.

• Love 8

It's ironic that when she had the paralegal job, Kevin accused her of sleeping with her boss even though she wasn't, and now that she actually is sleeping with her boss, Kevin is completely oblivious. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

Kurt: "we've been sitting next to each other for the last three years, and I don't think I know you at all."

Well, maybe watching some weak ass faux prestige dramas like Ray Donovan over salads isn't quite the ultimate soulmate bonding experience you thought it was, Kurt.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, arc said:

Kurt: "we've been sitting next to each other for the last three years, and I don't think I know you at all."

Well, maybe watching some weak ass faux prestige dramas like Ray Donovan over salads isn't quite the ultimate soulmate bonding experience you thought it was, Kurt.

Lol, but I did feel bad for him, she was lying to him and wanted to get back together for shady reasons. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, arc said:

This show is about her breaking lifelong patterns. She’s been working at the package store (liquor store) for years. I have to assume that shitty customer this episode was the last straw, not the very first time someone’s been that rude to her there. I bet she’s meekly absorbed a lot of bad things for years without throwing a quit-her-job-and-have-sex-with-her-ex level tantrum.

True, but it’s starting to be clear that after all these years of repression she’s just as capable of causing destruction as Kevin is.

Think about it: Kevin has had the mailman deported, gotten Allison fired from a good job, burned the neighbor’s yard, and trash talked about Patty to Kurt all because he thought they wronged him in some way. Allison got the drug hustler arrested for revenge, and that wound up getting the pharmacist busted and imperiling Patty’s business. She’s planning to have Kevin killed and framed as the drug boss. She’s sleeping with another woman’s husband partially to get back at at her for accomplishing more and being a snob. Maybe Alison’s actions feel more justified, but at the end of the day, her excuse boils down to “they were mean to me, they deserve it.” Same as Kevin’s.

Sometimes abuse victims wind up becoming more like their abusers. And I think Allison is turning into another version of Kevin, just without the laugh track to gloss it over.

Also, going from your husband’s constant butt monkey to a married guy’s side piece with ant that much of an upgrade.

• Love 5

The plan at the end of this episode is the first one where Allison's reasoning doesn't make sense to me. As I left my abusive marriage, I indulged in many fantasies of widowhood. Never murder, but for many reasons becoming a widow would just have been so, so much easier. One reason would have been to have had the respectability of widowhood rather than the stigma of a failed marriage. To have had only sympathy rather than the knowledge that some people would attribute the divorce to your failings. It sounds weirdly old fashioned but in the years since we have divorced, that fear has proved right, there really are people who judge you very negatively for having left a bad marriage. But if my husband had died because he was a drug lord murdered because of a drug deal gone wrong, I'm pretty sure that would be even worse in terms of how that kind of person treats you. So I was surprised that Allison was so gung-ho to jump on Patty's plan.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

So this was the first “Comedy scene” that wasn’t in the house so of course it was in a bar because it was very Kevin.

the Patty/Allison scene where Patty trying to talk Allison out of using the oxy to kill Kevin was all kinds of intense.  

I also like that Patty comes up with a workable idea to get rid of Kevin.

For the record I don’t thinK Allison’s story is necessarily a hero’s Journey.   We may actually be watching a breaking bad narrative.  Yea she could just walk away from a bad marriage but she won’t do that for reasons that are both person, financial and societial but the longer she stays in the marriage the deeper and more dangerous her actions.

• Love 2

The show is jelling nicely. One thing that's glaringly missing is children. Children are usually a staple in sitcoms, though I must admit I don't miss them. You'd think Kevin would be demanding a Kevin Jr early in a marriage with a spare boy.

I'm starting to not like Allison. I want to keep liking her, or the show will fail for me. Will wait. We need more Patty/Allison scenes and less revenge scenes.

We still have no idea who the brother is or the dad is. They honestly don't even have basic personalities. I hope that's deliberate.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

You'd think Kevin would be demanding a Kevin Jr early in a marriage with a spare boy.

A child would take too much attention away from Kevin, he wouldn't like the competition. Plus, if you think about it, Kevin IS the child. He's the big brother and Neil is the adoring little brother.

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

The show is jelling nicely. One thing that's glaringly missing is children. Children are usually a staple in sitcoms, though I must admit I don't miss them. You'd think Kevin would be demanding a Kevin Jr early in a marriage with a spare boy.

Kevin said something during the dog episode that he didn’t want anything in the house cuter then him so he probably nixed the idea of a kid pretty early in the marriage.     He would definitely view a kid as a threat especially since it would mean Allison’s energy would likely be focused on the kid and not him.   He would never allow that.  

• Love 15
(edited)
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Kevin said something during the dog episode that he didn’t want anything in the house cuter then him so he probably nixed the idea of a kid pretty early in the marriage.     He would definitely view a kid as a threat especially since it would mean Allison’s energy would likely be focused on the kid and not him.   He would never allow that.  

I would need to go back for the context, but he also explicitly says that in regard to a kid as well in that episode at another point (rather than it being something cuter than him, as with the dog, it was that he didn't want anything whose needs would outweigh his). I made a mental note since I was curious if they'd explain them not having children.

ETA: OH! I remember -- the Belichick hoodie was like a child to him, since he wouldn't tolerate having a real child around.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

He would definitely view a kid as a threat especially since it would mean Allison’s energy would likely be focused on the kid and not him.   He would never allow that.  

And in real life, it is very, very common for a marriage to fall apart after a child is born for precisely this reason. I left my ex less than 4 months after I had a baby. It started to become obvious when I was pregnant and sick that he not only couldn't look after me when I needed him, but he actually couldn't cope without me looking after him. Once the baby was born, he went off the rails completely. And it turned out that while I was willing to put up with him being an awful husband and allow him to subsume my life, I wasn't willing to allow him to do that to a child. So while I couldn't put my needs over my husband's wants, there was never a question of me allowing him to put his wants over our child's. 

Even with friends with similar husbands who stayed in their marriages, they have told me that their marriages changed for the worse the day their child was born. Their husbands were resentful and angry that the baby needed the time and attention they wanted. And a huge part of the next years/decade of the marriage was the husband throwing tantrums and demanding that attention back.

• Love 5

Kevin said he knew about Allison quitting because Worcester is a "small town" and word gets around and then Patty said something about her selling oxy to the "town" and the supply being cut off.  Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England with almost 185,000 people.  I side-eyed that a little, but I don't doubt that Allison quitting would get back to Kevin quickly since I'm sure Allison's aunt (?) ran right to the phone and ratted her out.  But, the drug dealing?  Nah.  There are tons more people selling drugs in the area than Patty.  There are probably at least 10 more on her block alone...

I really have come to like this show.  It's such a weird experience to watch a show with the bright colors and laugh track but to cringe at the underlying feeling of dread.  Well done, show.  

I also like that we don't necessarily need to 100% like Allison.  She is not making smart decisions.  She obviously has a history of that.  Doesn't mean she deserves to be in such a controlling relationship, though.  I don't think getting rid of Kevin is going to miraculously solve her problems, even though she seems to think it will. 

Curious where a 2nd season will go with this.  Losing the sitcom aspects would change it so much that it would lose the appeal for me. 

• Love 6
On 7/4/2021 at 2:38 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Exactly my thoughts. 

Hubs watched the last half with me last night (hadn't watched before then) and at the end he said both ladies were sociopaths. I guess because the parts they show of Kevin is sitcom sugar coated and thr show just implies something more sinister, but doesn't show it. So we really don't know how sinsiter...how severe his abuse is of Allison. Should be super severe to justify the 2 ladies plotting his death. 

• Love 3

I'm loving this show and it needs a second season.

But aside from that, Kevin said that it was Patty's fault for not bringing him a burger because Alison would never bring anyone a burger....when she did exactly that for Patty a few eps back.

And Jeremy Jamm with a nearly shaved head was damn funny.

• Love 5
On 7/5/2021 at 3:05 AM, Schweedie said:

I genuinely thought Allison had gone through with the pills in the burger and was horrified she was practically framing Patty - I assumed it just wouldn't work, like Patty said, which would lead to more issues. Discovering she decided to use the opportunity just to get Patty back in Kevin's good graces instead was a nice twist for me.

I too was horrified that she might be putting Patty in the frame deliberately. But I was also thinking that "New Patty" was somehow going to end up eating the drug burger. So a double fake out for me and one that really made me happy as it gave Allison and Patty another connection. 

This show is doing a phenomenal job with each beat and detail. 

• Love 11

There's a lot I don't understand about the drug situation.  While one bottle of Oxy might be enough for Kevin to OD, how does one bottle help Patty?  Nick (who I also thought was the car repair guy) has apparently used Patty as his source for years, and is threatening to out Patty to the police if she doesn't find him more drugs.  How does setting Kevin up as a drug dealer help Patty's situation unless Nick to caught up in some kind of police dragnet as well?  And again, how would being caught with one bottle of pills make police think Kevin was a dealer?

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I too was horrified that she might be putting Patty in the frame deliberately. But I was also thinking that "New Patty" was somehow going to end up eating the drug burger. So a double fake out for me and one that really made me happy as it gave Allison and Patty another connection. 

This show is doing a phenomenal job with each beat and detail. 

I thought New Patty was going to grab the burger and walk out the door before dying on the street or something.  But this works too.   Patty agreeing to help Allison frame Kevin for being the big bad drug dealer and then letting someone else kill him because of course he wouldn’t be able to provide drugs because Kevin is essentially useless.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Despite the sitcom setting, there really was something chilling about how Kevin "comedically" interrogated Patty and Allison (both times for the latter) and then banished Patty for the burger thing, underneath all of the canned laughs and broad humor.  Continue to think that this is all going to lead to seeing how it all really played out and Kevin being less buffoonish, but truly abusive and scary instead.  Also seeing a sitcom-like scene in a setting away from the house (the bar) makes me continue to believe that all of this is from Kevin's perspective and how he thinks all of his abuse is just silly fun and hijinks.  I could end up being wrong, but I really can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Kind of makes sense that Allison would start rebelling in arguably "smaller" ways before she commits to the whole murder thing and while some of it might have been kind of satisfying to watch on a basic level (that make-up saleswoman really sucks at the whole customer service thing...), it shows that Allison really isn't fully innocent and is capable of her own bad decision making and choices.  Including knowingly sleeping with a married man, although to be fair, Sam himself is just as bad by not only doing the same but even offering her job right after they sleep together.  I guess no one on this show is going to be 100% good here, but I'm fine with it.

While Kurt doesn't seem like the most interesting fellow out there, I do think he was right to not give Patty a second chance, because it seemed clear she only really changed her mind because she felt isolated from Kevin and his lot.

Jon Glaser was fun as "New Patty."

Figured Robin Lord Taylor's character was going to show back up after he briefly popped up in the first episode.  Curious to see how he'll factor in for the long term.

Allison decides not to go through with overdosing Kevin since it might com back on Patty and she's not even sure it would be enough due to his tolerance levels, but it now sounds like she and Patty are going to team up and somehow set Kevin up to be the big drug lord the cops are looking for?  Not sure how they're going to pull that off!

• Love 4

Interesting, the cc's referred to the new guy as "Paddy" so I assumed the title referred to original Patty making herself into a new person, so to speak.  But IMDB id's him as "Patty".  So I guess maybe it's both?

I would imagine another reason that Kevin does not want children is that he is afraid that Allison will get fat and "let herself go".

In these types of sitcoms, only men are allowed to lose their look, and often they never had any good looks, to begin with (they also usually lack good personalities and intelligence).

I once saw an episode of Kings of Queens where Doug was complaining about his wife gaining weight. It was pretty hypocritical because Carrie was far from fat and Doug has always been heavy.

• Love 8

We are all still a puritanical nation and for a lot of people adultery is a worse “crime” then murder at least on a purely base level.   We can cheer on as Allison plans to kill her asshole of a husband but the minute she cheats on him we kinda feel bad for the guy and Allison gets a “villain mark”   If she had just walked into the house with a machine gun and begun shooting no one would have blamed her and she might have even gotten off in a court of law but now that she had sex with another (married) guy well she is just as bad as Kevin is.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Also...'new patty'....that name in guy version (short for Patrick or Padraic) is Paddy not Patty. Happy Saint Paddy's Day! My son is a Paddy.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Interesting, the cc's referred to the new guy as "Paddy" so I assumed the title referred to original Patty making herself into a new person, so to speak.  But IMDB id's him as "Patty".  So I guess maybe it's both?

See my above post....so calling him Patty (with 2 Ts) is a snafu.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lamima said:

See my above post....so calling him Patty (with 2 Ts) is a snafu.

So is IMDb basically crowd sourced? And we should trust cc’s over IMDb?  Anyway, I’m sure I’m putting too much thought into this. 

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

We are all still a puritanical nation and for a lot of people adultery is a worse “crime” then murder at least on a purely base level.   We can cheer on as Allison plans to kill her asshole of a husband but the minute she cheats on him we kinda feel bad for the guy and Allison gets a “villain mark”   If she had just walked into the house with a machine gun and begun shooting no one would have blamed her and she might have even gotten off in a court of law but now that she had sex with another (married) guy well she is just as bad as Kevin is.  

To be clear, I don’t feel bad for anybody in that situation except Jenn. Whether she’s more of a bitch than she lets on, she still doesn’t deserve Sam cheating on her. I wouldn’t mind if Allison cheated on Kevin with a single guy, but with her married ex that’s already used for a side piece before? Nope.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

To be clear, I don’t feel bad for anybody in that situation except Jenn. Whether she’s more of a bitch than she lets on, she still doesn’t deserve Sam cheating on her. I wouldn’t mind if Allison cheated on Kevin with a single guy, but with her married ex that’s already used for a side piece before? Nope.

I'm afraid that Allison thinks Sam is the answer to all her problems when she needs to do some serious introspection as to why she keeps making the choices that she does.

Sam is not the fat horrible slob Kevin is but he is loaded with his own issues.

To me, Kevin is so controlling that Allison begins to act a bit like a rebellious teenager whenever she is out of his mini kingdom. It reminds me of how the kids with really strict parents would wild out whenever they got a little bit of freedom.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So is IMDb basically crowd sourced? And we should trust cc’s over IMDb?  Anyway, I’m sure I’m putting too much thought into this. 

Paddy or Pat are diminutives of Patrick. Patty, Patti, Patsy or Pat are diminutives of Patricia. Ergo, in general, Patty is a woman's name not a man's name. It's one of those things that drives many actual Irish people crazy every March. There is no such thing as St Patty's Day, it's Paddy's, because Patty is never short for Patrick.

12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I thought Jenn was super pretty and looked her up on IMDB. I was shocked to learn she's Pam from For All Mankind. I don't think I'd have figured that out as she's very different in each role.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, AllyB said:

Paddy or Pat are diminutives of Patrick. Patty, Patti, Patsy or Pat are diminutives of Patricia. Ergo, in general, Patty is a woman's name not a man's name. It's one of those things that drives many actual Irish people crazy every March. There is no such thing as St Patty's Day, it's Paddy's, because Patty is never short for Patrick.

Oh right, I get that.  I just was trying to parse out how the show canon spelled his name, because it makes a difference in how many levels of pun are in the title.  But not that much difference!

With each passing episode, the two-show device is proving more and more brilliant.  The sitcom scenes are getting darker and darker--or maybe the right wording is the audience is understanding what is actually going on there.  I am so impressed with this.

I can't believe only three more episodes--praying for a second season!

• Love 13

How old is Allison supposed to be?? I thought she was about 30 and they had been married about 10 years.  But she said she'd been at that liquor/package store 16 years.  She also was once a paralegal, which I assume required at least a year of training --probably more -- after high school. So a year of training, plus maybe a year of work as a paralegal, plus 16 years in that store would make her closer to 40, right? Why do I care, reallly.

• Love 2

The writers and the male “comedy” actors are doing a great job with making me root for Kevin to die.  I worry for the actor playing Kevin….he’s such an odious, unlikeable asshole character. I feel uncomfortable and anxious when Kevin and his posse are on the screen. want to kill Kevin! It will be hard for me to see him in something else if he plays a “good guy”.  

I am enjoying the format and the story, but like other posters here, I am wondering how this show can sustain itself beyond a couple of seasons.  I don’t know if I can watch the sitcom scenes without getting stabby, especially if there’s no “payoff” (aka- dead Kevin).

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The weird thing about her sleeping with Sam is that it has always been more about Jen than Sam. When they were originally together, she wanted to put one over on the girl from "Amherst". Then Jen makes a bit of a snotty comment in the makeup shop and Allison again sleeps with Sam.

Also, why is Allison insistent on shopping in the stuck-up makeup shop and giving those bitchy sales girls a nice commission?

I guess she did steal ugly lipstick this time.

• Love 5
On 7/12/2021 at 8:52 PM, qtpye said:

Sam is not the fat horrible slob Kevin is but he is loaded with his own issues.

I'm taking the fact that Sam started burning the burger as symbolism. LOL.

I did note at the beginning of the episode we don't see Patty's hair in her customary 90's hair bump, like this is the realest we see her.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I did note at the beginning of the episode we don't see Patty's hair in her customary 90's hair bump, like this is the realest we see her.

I noticed that, too, that as the series progresses, Patty's hair has gotten less early 90's. 

I'm fine with offing Kevin, but did I miss Allison ever contemplating just leaving or divorce? Based on Kevin's behavior, I completely understand that she may think he would never let her go or just continue to ruin her life outside of marriage, but I'm curious why any other options weren't explored. 

1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

I noticed that, too, that as the series progresses, Patty's hair has gotten less early 90's. 

I'm fine with offing Kevin, but did I miss Allison ever contemplating just leaving or divorce? Based on Kevin's behavior, I completely understand that she may think he would never let her go or just continue to ruin her life outside of marriage, but I'm curious why any other options weren't explored. 

Another poster astutely pointed out that if Kevin dies...Allison wins. People will give a lot of sympathy to a young widow.

However, if Allison divorces him, then she is just the bitch who left Kevin.

I would also like to know if there is any life insurance? Some jobs have a standard 10K policy for the families of their employees. 

• Love 3
On 7/13/2021 at 5:44 AM, AllyB said:

I thought Jenn was super pretty and looked her up on IMDB. I was shocked to learn she's Pam from For All Mankind. I don't think I'd have figured that out as she's very different in each role.

I had to look her up too. I kept wondering where I’d seen her before. I love For All Mankind!

On 7/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, thuganomics85 said:

While Kurt doesn't seem like the most interesting fellow out there, I do think he was right to not give Patty a second chance, because it seemed clear she only really changed her mind because she felt isolated from Kevin and his lot.

He was right not to give her a second chance, but she was also right to turn down his proposal. Kurt is not really such an okay guy. He’s a Kevin Lite. He was basically dictating how they spent their time together, always picking what they’d watch, and forcing the “healthy eating” thing on her. He did at least listen when she complained about the food. But showing up IN HER HOUSE BEFORE SHE’S EVEN WOKEN UP to bug her about that proposal (and “surprise, I made you breakfast, ignore the fact that I’m ambushing you before you’re really awake or ready to talk to me” Nice Guy shtick) - and not give her any more time to think about it and raise the subject herself when she was ready - creeped me the hell out. I also wondered whether he had a key, was let in by Neil, or broke in.

• Love 5