Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Panamanian Monkeys Job

• Start Topic

Drops July 9, 2021 on IMBd TV's free streaming service. 

With a new team member on board plus the arrival of Hardison’s genius foster sister, the team heads to Panama to pull an elaborate heist before an evil billionaire can get his money and flee to a non-extradition country.

(edited)

Still looks kinda crapy, but either I'm getting used to it or it's slowly improving.

Characters and writing still on point.

Jo Grant and Alistair Lethbridge Stewart. I forgot Hardison did the pop culture aliases and I love it. Although with Nerd culture being a lot more popular than when the original Leverage started out, this might become a bit of liability at some point. Would be kinda fun if a con blew because somebody recognised the names and they had to fix it on the fly.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 3

Yes, I forgot to mention the Lethbridge Stewart call out. I love Doctor Who, so it makes me happy to hear them. And I think classic Who is still somewhat safe. 

I liked the ending of this, with them taking up residence in a new city. It was always one of my favorite things about the original show, the way it featured the city they were operating in. 

I should be working but ended up watching this episode - I couldn't help myself.  Time to step away from the computer.

eta: about 2 1/2 minutes of commercials this time

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, tessaray said:

And I think classic Who is still somewhat safe. 

But it's not exactly only classic who anymore, is it?

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart did appear in the Sarah Jane Adventures, got quite a few name drops in New Who and finally came back as a cyberman when the Mistress cyberconverted all humans who ever died. Also his father or grandfather (don't quite recall) was saved when Capaldi had a bit of a cry about not wanting to regenerate. So the last name is pretty well known by now.

Jo Grant should still be somewhat save, granted. ;) I think in the New Who era she only appeared in the Sarah Jane Adventures and wasn't even mentioned in the main show, as far as I recall,

• Love 1
(edited)

I like that Sophie seemed to know who Brianna was by the reveal. They didn't specifically say they met but she either saw pictures or heard enough stories, which shows the Team has very much been active together off screen. Parker teaches all kids about crime! The line about Brianna saying Hardison tells her he saved Elliot was in the trailer but still funny.

Stop sending the Feds to Nana's house, Hardison! (and now Brianna.) She's used to them showing up. I really hope we see her one day.

It was a good conclusion to episode 1. We got a "Dammit Hardison"!  

They came up with a good reason for Hardison to leave even though I hate to see him go for now.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 6

I am actually liking Harry and his reactions to the groups because he is essentially and outsider playing with a group who has known each other for years.   

Snd I loved that The FBI keeps banging on Nana’s door but this time for Briana and it’s the excuse for keeping her around because Hardison isn’t going to be around as much.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Harry/Noah is feeling more like his ER Dr. John Carter character, whom I've always adored.  Seriousness with a little goofy in there.  A good sense of humor, but never quite getting when HE is the joke.  I like what they're doing with him. 

Breanna is cute and will obviously be the "pupil" this season, so we can get more of a tutorial on how they plan & execute the jobs.  

Reed Diamond is such a sleaze, but in such a smooth & entertaining way.  I always love to see him as the d!ckweed!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

They came up with a good reason for Hardison to leave even though I hate to see him go for now.

He should get the team to time travel back to Boston to take out Jackie Rohr.

“Blackouts, memory loss, deja vu…”
“Didn’t you already say that”
Hardison and Sophie rear back in unison ‘ooh.”

Ha!

I like how they slotted in New Guy's character.  Like Nate being an insurance investigator who knew how fraud and thievery worked so his knowledge was a key contribution— Harry New Guy being a shady lawyer and knowing where to hide money and how rich people slip through the system from the inside that is how he contributes.  It goes a long way toward making a new addition work and feel seamless.

Also liking the backstory they gave Brianna and how they intro’d her as well. She was good they didn’t make her precocious or precious and the actress is a natural. Also it is smart to have someone young who can utilize newer media where the OG crew would come off a little strange using the argot. I mean they were treading that line by putting Sophie in that scarf and nose ring.

I liked Sophie reminding Parker and Hardison of their not-so-greatest hits.  As a matter of fact, I think the episode where Hardison was ‘Ice Man’ was one of my least favorites.

Also Elliot spent time in vent practice.  I love that they have vent practice!

It’ll be interesting to see how the next ep feels without Hardison. Aldis Hodge’s charm and charisma is such a key component to the team chemistry.  But at least he found new digs again, Hardison always comes through with the coolest headquarters.

• Love 9

I watched 5 episodes last night, but this had to have been in one of the first two:  "You did the Picard Tug!"  Not only did we get the catchphrases mentioned above and in the E1 thread, we also got Eliot's "It has a very distinctive (sound/smell)..."

I'm liking the NOLA location, even if Wyle's accent is haphazard.  I'm enjoying how New Guy is trying to understand the mechanics of when & what to say, "Let's go steal a...."

I don't think Nate's death is a con.  I just hate that so many people have jumped on the "Hutton's a perv" bandwagon.  Was it ever proven? Did anyone ELSE claim it?  Is it possible it's just what he says it is...a failed extortion attempt?  That's all I'm saying about that.

I'm VERY happy to have 80% of the team back & working together, at least until Hardison has some other lettuce to chop...

• Love 8
(edited)

Harry being the new guy and kinda shady is going to work for the series because it’s going to give the characters a reason other then “crime is fun” if that makes sense.   And Briana being a relative of Hardison who was always the “heart” of the cast works to the shows advantage as the next generation.    Someone who has grown up in this world….and the world has changed since the show ended pretending it hasn’t would be a mistake but also focusing too much on it would be a mistake too.  Briana is a great reminder of that.  

And Nate’s death Isn’t a con.  I am not going to say anything about the actor but the show made its choice about the pairing and I think it decided to make Nate and Sophie endgame and This is how they did it,    To have Nate jump up and shout “gotcha” would be infinitely cruel.   Even for him and I am not sure even his team could forgive him.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 11

This episode was 10 times better than the first episode. It almost seems like they made the first episode themselves and shopped it around to get funding to make the rest of the episodes. Parker and Hardison are not convincing me that they are in love. There is room for a little more comedy in the episodes.

• Love 1
On 7/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, tessaray said:

Yes, I forgot to mention the Lethbridge Stewart call out. I love Doctor Who, so it makes me happy to hear them. And I think classic Who is still somewhat safe. 

I totally just checked here as soon as I caught it. The show has been consistently Who. I think this one was far enough that it wouldn't be obvious. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved the Picard tug - and the 'very distinctive whatever' - have missed it in the first episode.

One of the things this show has always been great at is showing how the team works together but also is trying to teach each other their respective skills. It started in the original series and we get to see that it never stopped. Elliot has been vent-training and taught Parker some karate chops.

I agree that the addition of Wilson has been very smoothly handled. He can provide the team with legal lingo and he knows where the bad guys hid their assets - that's what I call valuable skills in their line of work.

Breanna having grown up with tales of the team's exploits (including Hardison saving Elliot's life) is a clever move. That way she's not another newbie who has no clue what's going on. And someone growing up with Parker and Hardison as role models got to be an interesting character. I'll miss Hardison but I look forward to how she's integrating into the team.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Love the food truck as the new Lucille

I'm just relieved for Hardison that the fleet of Lucilles means he doesn't have to suffer the heartbreak of losing her anymore.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Another solid episode. I'm sorry to see Hardison go for the present but Brianna's introduction was seamless. And Harry's speech at the end really solidified why he's needed on the team. Corruption has indeed become the law these days, and having someone who helped bend, break and twist those laws to the benefit of the rich makes perfect sense for our crew.

Loved the callbacks everyone's mentioned already - I find myself using "it's a very distinctive___" in my everyday conversations - as well as those the characters brought up. (Parker will never outlive stabbing that guy with the fork!)

Parker as surrogate parent should be an interesting theme that I look forward to seeing more of. Despite her vehement denials and protests about not being a parent, we already saw her take kids under her wing in the original - the girl in the Boost Job, the client's daughter in the Wedding Job, and others I can't recall at the moment. She's always been willing to be a surrogate older sister - seeing her slip into surrogate mom now that she's matured is only logical. Albeit in her own special Parker way of course. :)

Poor Sophie, I hope she brought earplugs. (To quote another clever show, "that's not music! That's EDM!")

• Love 6

Another Parker as big sister episode ,sort of, was the one with the adoption agency, where she insisted on saving all of the kids.

I'm also loving when they bring up the old lines.  Let's go steal a....  It's a very distinctive....  

also love that Hardison made a manual.  With many volumes.  And "I didn't see the give Elliot a 401k part".  

can they stop calling the new guy Mr Wilson?

• Love 4

I am enjoying this a lot. I was never a Nate Ford fan so I am not missing him. Sophie was always my favorite. 

The relationship between Hardison and Elliot is so key to the show that it will be interesting to see if it falters in his absence. I thought they wrote him out very well. I also like Noah Wyle's addition to the team - which was not the case with The Librarians. 

Will be fun to see Parker mentoring Brianna. 

• Love 6

I think she's being overly formal to emphasize he's not one of the group yet. 

It's a credit to Hodge and the TPTBs to accommodate his busy schedule and for him to want to be part of the show still. 

I would agree that in the ensuing 8 years or so, the crew would evolve. If they were still just pulling jobs on corporate slime, it wouldn't be interesting. However, being such a globally dominant superpower is a bit much too. I could have seen them running a large humanitarian foundation. Although, they actually might be as cover to manage the other crews. 

What I did like, was in the ensuing time Parker is having the others work on different skills; vents, etc. 

I am impressed that the actors haven't really lost a step in their dialogue timing either. 

• Love 6

Ok.  I'll try to look at it the way you both say it, because to me, it seems like.respect he hasn't earned, yet.  Not that I don't believe you shouldn't respect someone automatically... I actually don't believe you have to earn respect as much as I believe you can earn disrespect, but since he doesn't address them that way, it just seems off somehow.

In addition to fangirling over the original cast (as do we all), Breanna is also giving me a Claudia Donovan (Warehouse 13) vibe, both of which make for a good start.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:18 AM, Gigi43 said:

Stop sending the Feds to Nana's house, Hardison! (and now Brianna.) She's used to them showing up. I really hope we see her one day.

I believe it was back on TWoP that someone suggested Nana should be played by Nichelle Nichols. I don't think my jaw has ever dropped so fast or stayed dislodged for so long.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I believe it was back on TWoP that someone suggested Nana should be played by Nichelle Nichols. I don't think my jaw has ever dropped so fast or stayed dislodged for so long.

Given this show's close ties to ST that's not inconceivable (even though said ties are with NG). And I just checked, she's 88 and still working!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I always thought she was the obvious choice for Nana, and I still hold out hope even though Nichelle was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago.

I liked Hardison's sister immediately. I love that Hardison told her that he saved Eliot all the time. Of course he would. I love that Hardison's still using Dr. Who names. 

Poor Nana always getting the FBI showing up because of Hardison and now Breanna. I love Hardison immediately threatening to call Nana to see if Breanna was telling the truth and Breanna caving. Just like siblings.  

I love how Sophie, Eliot, Parker and Hardison are after eight years. They are still themselves but eight years older. I love how they lure Sophie back in. I'm going to miss Hardison being on regularly. I love his character and really want to see the team together taking down bad guys especially since we can't have Nate. I do love that Hardison created a large scale international work. It really fits with him and the team to help people in other ways. 

I like their new building. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't watch Dr Who, so I don't get those name references.  Thanks to all for pointing them out.  

I'm holding out for a Farscape name reference.  Not that much of the Leverage fandom would get it, but that also means it wouldn't raise red flags for the mark, either.  Found it hard to believe the mark didn't get the Mulder/Scully reference - can't remember which episode.

I like the new building, too, but it reminds me of the NCIS New Orleans building.  Not a bad thing, but I have a houseplan software that I like to play with (I'm weird like that) and I kept trying to replicate the NCIS place without much luck.  Now this place is going to haunt me, too.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Johann said:

I'm holding out for a Farscape name reference. 

Those are all first names though. They usually use Who last names. 

I'm wondering if Maxwell will return to exact some revenge at the end of the season. They really, really burned him. He had nothing to do with the gold bars, and only got goaded into making the phone call. 

• Love 1

Was that Dan Cortese from MTV Sports? Were my eyes deceiving me? He was funny!

“I always teach children crime.” 😂 OMG I love Parker. 
I know we won’t see a ton of Hardison, so I’m glad we got a good helping of him. Aldis Hodge is just so damn delightful.

I am shocked that I really kinda love Briana. The whole DJ bit was hilarious. 

Enjoying the hell out of this show. I will always love Dr. Carter so I am loving Mr. Wilson. I’m glad he’s a scuzball looking for redemption. He’s good at slimy. 

Really enjoying the hell out of this. 

• Love 4
On 7/16/2021 at 5:40 PM, Johann said:

Found it hard to believe the mark didn't get the Mulder/Scully reference - can't remember which episode.

Reminds me of the time Hardison had 'Mr. Kirk Picard' paged. That was going a little far!

• Love 3
On 7/13/2021 at 7:55 AM, LisaM said:

I am enjoying this a lot. I was never a Nate Ford fan so I am not missing him. Sophie was always my favorite. 

My kindred spirit! Gina Bellman was actually the reason I gave the show a go as she was the only one I knew (aside from Tim Hutton whom I didn't like) and I adore her. I always thought I was alone in not liking Nate because back when the show was in it's first run the fandom seemed to be all OMG NATE IS THE BEST!!!!!! 

I am loving our Mr. Wilson. I have no real feeling towards Noah Wyle one way or the other. Never got into Librarians never saw a single ep of ER. Might have seen him in other stuff but can't remember. But I'm liking the character. I love the redemption angle. I miss Hardison but I am loving Briana. both of them are perfect additions to the team I already love. 

They are doing a good job of blending the newbies in well while remembering that they are new additions to the team and not writing it as if they have been working together forever. 

• Love 1

I never watched ER, but I did enjoy the Librarians... mostly for Kane.  I do know that Wyle is Mandy Patinkin's godson.

I am one who actually misses Hutton. I don't miss his alcoholism, but I miss Nate.  But Wyle's doing a good job.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never watched ER, but I did enjoy the Librarians... mostly for Kane.  I do know that Wyle is Mandy Patinkin's godson.

I am one who actually misses Hutton. I don't miss his alcoholism, but I miss Nate.  But Wyle's doing a good job.

I miss Nate too. Leverage was one of the few shows that I loved all the main characters. 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I miss Nate too. Leverage was one of the few shows that I loved all the main characters. 

Me, too.  I think I became a Tim Hutton fan because I was a Jim Hutton fan.  LOVED when Nate's costume was Ellery Queen.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 4

I loved Tim Hutton in his role as Archie Goodwin on A&E's Nero Wolfe mysteries.  We've watched those dvds several times. And I liked him as Nate in Leverage. I only heard about accusations against him on this board and don't know enough about them to judge.

I am catching this series on CTV Drama here in Canada and we saw this episode last night.  So we are behind but it is free - well, not free because it's on satellite which we pay for but no extra charges.

I do like Hardison a lot so will miss him but the others should make up for his absence.  Noah Wylie is doing a good job and I like Hardison's little sister.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So after this episode the big take away is that Nana runs a foster home for misguided genius level miscreants who like stories of Robinhood. Do I have that right?

I so want to watch that spinoff. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Please don't pollute Briana with images of the grossly unlikeable, screechy-voiced Claudia Donavon.  I don't like Briana so far, but I like Harry.  Never did like Nate and didn't like Sophie either, but maybe she will be better for me without Nate to play off of.  I adore Hardison and Elliot.  Does anyone know if they can/intend to lure AH back full time for season 2?  I didn't feel the joy in watching that I did the original series, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to try eps without my beloved Hardison.  Dammit, Hardison!

I think that was a good way to write out Harrison as it make sense that he was doing something else now.

Spoiler

I saw that he is in 7 episodes... so 5 more hopefully.

I'm not sure that's a spoiler so I'll tag it. 

As for the new characters they are okay. Still more invested in the original team (obviously). But I'm not really missing Nate (not that I didn't like the character). Forgetting what the actor did or didn't do, I feel like it fits the character that he died of health problems. And leave it as that. 

I like that the twist is that there was really the DJ guy and he did put on a concert. I was confused on how they got the real guy. Was it a connection that Brianna had?

• Love 2

They basically just put out on social media that they were having the benefit for the monkeys and that they wanted him to dj. Bri had past experience in hyping events. They finally got a the dj on FaceTime and Sophie roped him in. 

• Love 2
On 7/18/2021 at 11:29 PM, Emma9 said:

Reminds me of the time Hardison had 'Mr. Kirk Picard' paged. That was going a little far!

Just found this show- so I binged all five seasons in the past few weeks… 

Eliot was the one who paged Kirk Picard to let Harrison know he was ready at door 3 or whatever when the radios stopped working at the airport…  so it had to be a little on the nose  :)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, blueray said:

I think that was a good way to write out Harrison as it make sense that he was doing something else now.

Hide contents

I saw that he is in 7 episodes... so 5 more hopefully.

I'm not sure that's a spoiler so I'll tag it. 

As for the new characters they are okay. Still more invested in the original team (obviously). But I'm not really missing Nate (not that I didn't like the character). Forgetting what the actor did or didn't do, I feel like it fits the character that he died of health problems. And leave it as that. 

I like that the twist is that there was really the DJ guy and he did put on a concert. I was confused on how they got the real guy. Was it a connection that Brianna had?

I think I missed something. What was the reason they gave for Harrison leaving?

21 hours ago, Natalie25 said:

I think I missed something. What was the reason they gave for Harrison leaving?

He was leaving to work with his team that was doing some thing involving a corrupt government in an Asian country (forgot which one). 

• Love 1

Somewhere like that. From what we're told in this episode, with the trio having set up other Leverage teams around the globe, they've been doing more management than hands-on work in recent years, and before luring Sophie back into the game, Hardison in particular had largely moved on from Leverage-scale jobs to deal with much larger fry. He's been using his tech skills to support the downtrodden all over the globe - doing as much as he can to prevent corrupt governments from oppressing their people further, in effect. In this episode he receives a call to go help with just such a situation and is torn, because he's made a commitment to this newly (re)formed team, but Eliot convinces him to leave Breanna to fill the gap in the team and go do the things only he can do elsewhere. Hardison is the head chef, in Eliot's analogy, and as head chef he has more important things to do than worry about the minor details, which are the smaller-scale Leverage jobs that Breanna, as trainee, is capable of handling.

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Johann said:

Is that his Klingon name?

I'm sure Hardison does have a Klingon name. And I love him for it. :)

I did miss him, and while I'm glad Aldis is keeping busy, I hope that we get more Hardison when the show comes back. If it comes back? I prefer when. I really need it to come back. 

• Love 2