Type keyword(s) to search

2021 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp

Uk-Eve
  • Start Topic

On 8/13/2021 at 7:01 PM, Bellisima08 said:

Apparently that is Texie, the Cheerleaders Mascot who was named after Texie Waterman the original choreographer for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. I tried searching for more info about her, but all I could find was this youtube clip of her at what looks like a Junior DCC practice in 2009 and in a picture that Kelli posted on Twitter in 2012 displayed on a platter like some kind of creepy trophy.

Wow, McKenzie would never make the top 36.  She doesn't know the choreography and totally loses it in her face.  No power or projection.  Tonight should be her last night.

(Kidding, in case it's not obvious!)

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

Isn't her name just a different spelling of "Kelly?" Granted, she would be the 1st with that spelling.

Oh lol I always read it as keee-lee but I just went to her instagram and you can hear on a video that its kelly. 

Edited by Kitkatkitty
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, kalibean said:

I would LOVE a power squad comeback. With there being an ultra critical eye on the big screen for a decade, plus social media, but most importantly the health of the dancers, strength and great nutrition are so important. Needs more air time. STRONG and healthy for the win. 

ITA. 

Also - I have a feeling that most if not all of TC-2021 was filmed before more attention was given, worldwide to mental health , esp. the mental side of athletes, where great expectations are placed on them before they even do anything.

Watching episodes where Judy teaches that entrance , that always seems to be down to the last 2 weeks of camp, when K&J want to block for the game, (for the life of me I can't figure out why so late), stresses me out - and I am on the couch 1000 miles away. Hearing a woman scream "1,2,3,LINE" - is enough to make a person shake & crumble on the spot. I know that entrance has been a crowd pleaser for 20+ years - but if the dancers are stressed , K&J are stressed teaching and correcting it - is it really worth it? Maybe it's time for "entrance version 2.0". 

Then there is all of the talk about the magic 36. Dance like Beyoncé.  Keeping people in the office, or outside waiting, until past midnight, driving home in Dallas (personal safety concerns), then expecting them to be at , or find, a 9-5, or school, the next morning. Yes - keep the world class standards of the team, but surely there can adjustments made in the area of mental health. Maybe consider an confidential 1-800#-Assistance-line, so there will be someone there to council the TCC.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more unique names in the future. Although I do love me a good old fashion traditional name, I feel like every time I see someone announce their baby on social media they have some uncommon names. I mean let's take some of the baby girls born from DCC alumni for example: Skye, Brecken, Lennon, Taya, Margot, Emerson. These names have not appeared on the DCC roster. So...it's gonna be interesting. Although I am expecting some common names from the late 2000's to also appear.

Also I am in the process of revamping my name database so that it looks decent and it includes the year as well. If anyone cares it would look something like this. 

AMBER (5)
1. Amber Gosdin (1995, 1996, 2003, 2004)
2. Amber Strauser (1999, 2000)
3. Amber Lea (2011)
4. Amber Nicole McMillian (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
5. Amber (2021)

I will upload it when I'm done. 

Is there a home state database ? Sometimes Kelli says that there are candidates from x-nbr of states or countries.. Just curious which states never had a candidate.

Speaking of states did Utah-Maddie retire ?  Did TN-Titan Brianna retire ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Presley is on the trendy 'new' names list. A friend has a daughter Pressley who is about 20, He's an Elvis fan & a working musician, so it just seemed and extension of his quirks when she was born. I work in middle/high schools so always see the trendy names...but the ridiculous spellings are what gets me...those poor kids. I always ask them to pronounce their names for me...gives them some power over it. And I always remember. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, sATL said:

Is there a home state database ? Sometimes Kelli says that there are candidates from x-nbr of states or countries.. Just curious which states never had a candidate.

That's a good question. I'm going to guess maybe Alaska? I know Cianna was from Hawaii. The 2 from my state, WI were DCCs Stephanie and Kelli Jo.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

That's a good question. I'm going to guess maybe Alaska? I know Cianna was from Hawaii. The 2 from my state, WI were DCCs Stephanie and Kelli Jo.

Wasn't Simone also from HI? Or at least lived there for a bit? 

I think that it’s sometimes difficult tracking the states because from time to time they’ll indicate the girl is from a state where they actually attended college, or came from directly before going to TX for tryouts (like Jalyn who went to school and cheered in NY even though she is originally from Indiana?) I’m guessing they use whatever the girl is putting on her application. 

Id also love a chart to track the college/university as well as the professional teams the girls have been on (with an * if their coaches were former DCC or known to KelFine and the Judster in some form or fashion). Lots of LSU Golden/Tiger girls, U of AZ, etc. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Watching episodes where Judy teaches that entrance , that always seems to be down to the last 2 weeks of camp, when K&J want to block for the game, (for the life of me I can't figure out why so late), stresses me out - and I am on the couch 1000 miles away. Hearing a woman scream "1,2,3,LINE" - is enough to make a person shake & crumble on the spot. I know that entrance has been a crowd pleaser for 20+ years - but if the dancers are stressed , K&J are stressed teaching and correcting it - is it really worth it? Maybe it's time for "entrance version 2.0". 

JMHO - I've always felt that the statement about starting to train the squad on the entrance only 2 weeks before the first game is fabricated for the sake of the show.  Either that, or the entrance really isn't as hard as they would like us viewers to believe.  I also think that Judy screaming (ahem, I mean "teaching") is for the show as well.  I'm reasonably confident that their practices look much different when the cameras aren't rolling.

Not to say this squad can't be stressful, but the degree of stress on professional athletes vs. NFL cheerleaders is probably comparing apples to oranges.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, KnyghtRyder said:

Id also love a chart to track the college/university as well as the professional teams the girls have been on (with an * if their coaches were former DCC or known to KelFine and the Judster in some form or fashion). Lots of LSU Golden/Tiger girls, U of AZ, etc. 

Haha yes, and have them introduce it like the starting lineup for a football game.  It’s extra festive when the players went to college but will drop in their high school instead. Player intros always make me smile at some point.  

Also, I’m tickled that Christina is one of the most popular names. That’s my name, and I was never able to get a personalized keychain as a kid. Always Christine. I think my mom was about eight years ahead of her time 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

JMHO - I've always felt that the statement about starting to train the squad on the entrance only 2 weeks before the first game is fabricated for the sake of the show.  Either that, or the entrance really isn't as hard as they would like us viewers to believe.  I also think that Judy screaming (ahem, I mean "teaching") is for the show as well.  I'm reasonably confident that their practices look much different when the cameras aren't rolling.

Not to say this squad can't be stressful, but the degree of stress on professional athletes vs. NFL cheerleaders is probably comparing apples to oranges.

The field entrance has always reminded me of things the color guard would do in high school marching band - a 4 step to five yards step size, toe first, ball of the foot on the line. We would call it a jazz run, and the band would have to learn it too. It's fairly difficult to get your first couple times doing it, but to me, there is absolutely no reason why someone couldn't learn it in a couple of hours. Add in the (what seems to me, but I could be totally wrong, because I'm not a dancer) basic arm movements, and the only thing I have ever been able to think of is "either these girls are so stressed they have forgotten how to count to four and breathe or this is extremely overhyped for the sake of a tv camera."

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

The field entrance has always reminded me of things the color guard would do in high school marching band - a 4 step to five yards step size, toe first, ball of the foot on the line. We would call it a jazz run, and the band would have to learn it too. It's fairly difficult to get your first couple times doing it, but to me, there is absolutely no reason why someone couldn't learn it in a couple of hours. Add in the (what seems to me, but I could be totally wrong, because I'm not a dancer) basic arm movements, and the only thing I have ever been able to think of is "either these girls are so stressed they have forgotten how to count to four and breathe or this is extremely overhyped for the sake of a tv camera."

Yes, I was in color guard / drill team in high school as well. We had the 8 to 5 walk (8 steps to cover 5 yards) and the 4 to 5 run (4 steps to cover 5 yards). If I could get it, and everyone in my high school color guard and band could get it, then someone trying out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders world-class team should definitely be able to get it.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, SanDiegoGal said:

Yes, I was in color guard / drill team in high school as well. We had the 8 to 5 walk (8 steps to cover 5 yards) and the 4 to 5 run (4 steps to cover 5 yards). If I could get it, and everyone in my high school color guard and band could get it, then someone trying out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders world-class team should definitely be able to get it.

Especially with how long most of their legs are. I remember one year we had this tiny little 8th grade trumpet player who was like 4' 10" - and even he could flawlessly jazz run after about an hour and a half.

I wonder if the producers have ever gone up to a girl and told her to mess up once or twice while they're filming her so they can make sure all the viewers at home know about how difficult the field entrance is.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MadHatter said:

I agree, I can remember doing this in the marching band.  When we played instruments, we had to move 5 yards in 4 steps and not look at the chalk lines.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

My guess would be Vermont or the Dakotas maybe? I don’t remember anyone with links there, but I don’t know of any of the DCC pre MTT

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Touch the Star said:

My guess would be Vermont or the Dakotas maybe? I don’t remember anyone with links there, but I don’t know of any of the DCC pre MTT

Former DCC Ashley Marie Ferrel was from South Dakota.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Rodeo Drive said:

There is a new assistant director that will be revealed in due time 

Who is the current assistant director/ or the one that is being replaced ? I never realized that was a position. 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, SanDiegoGal said:

Okay, I'll bite. The top ten names that come to mind for the new assistant director position (in no particular order):

1. Victoria Kalina

2. Tina Kalina

3. The Two-Time Mirror Ball Trophy Winner (MRS)

4. Cassie Trammel

5. Phil

6. Kashara

7.  Maddie

8. Haley Anderson

9. Rowdy

10. Kitty Carter's Hairdresser

If I've learned anything in all of these seasons, it's that opportunities come based on who you know, not what you know or how well you know it.

adding :

a) Brenda Teele  to this list

b) any grand daughter ( by blood or marriage) whose last name is Jones - get to know the family business better.

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
59 minutes ago, Rodeo Drive said:

I'm wondering what happened to the current assistant director or if Kelli actually had one in the first place.  I could easily see Kelli not having an assistant director, either due to ego or the belief that she can do it all by herself with no need for help.  The things she can't do or doesn't have the time for gets passed on to others, like her admin assistant, Judy, etc.

54 minutes ago, CruiseGirl said:

Who is the current assistant director/ or the one that is being replaced ? I never realized that was a position. 

I don't think we ever knew who Kelli's assistant director was or if there is one.  I remember hearing that Kelli was the assistant director at one time then, when the director retired, Kelli stepped up and has been ruling ever since.

3 minutes ago, SanDiegoGal said:

Okay, I'll bite. The top ten names that come to mind for the new assistant director position (in no particular order):

1. Victoria Kalina

2. Tina Kalina

3. The Two-Time Mirror Ball Trophy Winner (MRS)

4. Cassie Trammel

5. Phil

6. Kashara

7.  Maddie

8. Haley Anderson

9. Rowdy

10. Kitty Carter's Hairdresser

If I've learned anything in all of these seasons, it's that opportunities come based on who you know, not what you know or how well you know it.

I'm dying laughing over here.  I could see Kelli picking some of these, but could also see her going in a new direction. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rodeo Drive said:

My current guess is Haley Anderson.

ETA:  I wrote this before seeing @mizzhyer 's post.  Looks like they've been grooming Haley for some time.

Edited by go4luca
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, go4luca said:

My current guess is Haley Anderson.

which would be a promotion over her duties of what she did in the hotel due to COVID during TC

• Love 5
1 minute ago, sATL said:

which would be a promotion over her duties of what she did in the hotel due to COVID during TC

She's also been doing the podcasts.  Like I said in my edited reply, I think they've been grooming her for something along these lines for awhile.  But hey, what do I know?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ByTor said:

Isn't her name just a different spelling of "Kelly?" Granted, she would be the 1st with that spelling.

Wait I thought it was pronounced Key-Lee. Either way I meant she's the first with that spelling. I am grouping them based on the exact spelling. So the number of girls with the spelling Kelly would be different than the number of girls with the spelling Kelli. 

Also to the person that asked if there is a home state database, that would be almost impossible to do since there isn't that many information on ths girls. It could be possible with the MTT girls but not with ALL of the DCC roster.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

Haley Anderson? You mean the Olympic Silver Medalist in swimming Haley Anderson???? WHAT IS SHE DOING ON DCC???!!!

Oh wait...wrong Haley lmao.

I never said it had to make sense.  😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

adding :

a) Brenda Teele  to this list

b) any grand daughter ( by blood or marriage) whose last name is Jones - get to know the family business better.

I’ll add Charlottes daughter Haley to the list. 

{ adding to previous list}

c) since Kelly seems to value his opinion - Neil Mc Coy . it might be a minute due to covid before his touring starts back up again

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, SanDiegoGal said:

1. Victoria Kalina

2. Tina Kalina

3. The Two-Time Mirror Ball

6. Kashara

7.  Maddie

8. Haley Anderson

48 minutes ago, go4luca said:

She's also been doing the podcasts.  Like I said in my edited reply, I think they've been grooming her for something along these lines for awhile.  But hey, what do I know?

I think DCC director would be a very  visible role for her to take on. To my knowledge, I don't think Haley has any dance/cheer experience, so I think it would be very difficult to evaluate candidates or offer feedback to the cheerleaders. 

Imo, Haley is being trained to take over Charlotte's job. It would make sense to put her with the cheerleaders since DCC are a big part of the overall Cowboys brand, both in their own right and as ambassadors for the larger org. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

To my knowledge, I don't think Haley has any dance/cheer experience, so I think it would be very difficult to evaluate candidates or offer feedback to the cheerleaders.

This right here re: Haley she legit doesn’t have the insight/training for the job. I’m def putting the cart before the horse here but NOTHING would surprise me & I honestly can’t handle anymore blatant nepotism. If by any chance it were Haley that may push  me right over the DCC edge of no return…

• Love 9
23 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

They meant Kashara was the last vet called into training camp her last year, which isn't a good thing apparently.

Woops, sorry, I read the original post as last called to solos. 

6 hours ago, MadHatter said:

I wonder if the producers have ever gone up to a girl and told her to mess up once or twice while they're filming her so they can make sure all the viewers at home know about how difficult the field entrance is.

They often combine the field entrance exercise with a cut night. That definitely adds to the already existing pressure to always be on your A-game. Some thrive with that pressure, most struggle or even succumb to it. I can totally see how some girls completely mess up because of that pressure.

• Love 2

I agree Haley does not have the right dance experience to take over.  IIRC, she has some, but not nearly what I consider the right training or experience.  I believe her consideration was hinted at once before on this forum, hence my guess.  But again, who am I to say? 🤷‍♀️

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, TB12 said:

This right here re: Haley she legit doesn’t have the insight/training for the job. I’m def putting the cart before the horse here but NOTHING would surprise me & I honestly can’t handle anymore blatant nepotism. If by any chance it were Haley that may push  me right over the DCC edge of no return…

Have you looked at the judges? There’s everything from news anchors, weather men, reporters, fitness trainers, country singers, Luchesse managers etc. I struggle to get how they determine a girl might be a good DCC, but here they are. So it’s quite obvious connections go over (any) dance knowledge or experience.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Have you looked at the judges? There’s everything from news anchors, weather men, reporters, fitness trainers, country singers, Luchesse managers etc. I struggle to get how they determine a girl might be a good DCC, but here they are. So it’s quite obvious connections go over (any) dance knowledge or experience.

I do wonder if K or J would tolerate having someone new who either has on paper (dance studio owner, degrees, etc ) or by recent commercial paid experience/Hollywood  more dance  than them , around them on a daily basis. I mean the two have been running the squad "their way or the highway" for decades. That would make an applicant , leery of applying, let alone accepting the position.

Look at all of the guest choreographers that parade though. sometimes they listen to their opinions and sometimes they don't. I sometimes wish they would stop asking for their opinions.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4