Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/21/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

The ladies except Me-again were awesome in talking about abortion rights President Biden and the importance of the separation of church and state.  The Catholic church is just something else, I would think with everything going on in the world, they would have other things to worry about and like Joy said they are just using culture wars in order to maintain their power. 

Why is no one talking about the priests who molested thousands and thousands of children? Are those disgraced priests still receiving communion? Love the sinner, hate the sin. Way to get all sinners to excommunicate themselves. 

I wish, just once, when MM is going on about her “pro-life” stance, someone would ask about her view on the death penalty.  Joy referenced it in her remarks, generally, but I want the Arizona Princess to reconcile her pro-life view with her support for the death penalty.  (I don’t know for a fact that she supports it, but I think it’s a safe bet)

And, as far as I know, President Biden has never had, and can never have, an abortion.  And doesn’t personally believe in it.  So the fact that he doesn’t impose his religious beliefs on the rest of the country is somehow a sin?  Get the eff outta here!!!

• Love 17
1 hour ago, jalady said:

I wish, just once, when MM is going on about her “pro-life” stance, someone would ask about her view on the death penalty.  Joy referenced it in her remarks, generally, but I want the Arizona Princess to reconcile her pro-life view with her support for the death penalty.  (I don’t know for a fact that she supports it, but I think it’s a safe bet)

And, as far as I know, President Biden has never had, and can never have, an abortion.  And doesn’t personally believe in it.  So the fact that he doesn’t impose his religious beliefs on the rest of the country is somehow a sin?  Get the eff outta here!!!

I want to see this occur too. Aren't something like 4% of death row inmates innocent? 

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, jalady said:

I think Joy got in a good zinger at Meghan when she said many of the people who are pro-life in regards to abortion believe in the death penalty, and that she was pro-choice and she believed in the death penalty in some cases, adding that she was consistent.  She was basically saying some people, like Meghan, are not consistent in their "pro-life" position.  Good one, Joy.    

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, jalady said:

So the fact that he doesn’t impose his religious beliefs on the rest of the country is somehow a sin?  Get the eff outta here!!!

If Biden were actually trying to impose his personal religious beliefs on the country MM would be ranting about that.   Why does ABC not see that she isn't offering a genuine conservative voice here?

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I think Joy got a good zinger at Meghan when she said many of the people who are pro-life in regards to abortion believe in the death penalty, and that she was pro-choice and she believed in the death penalty in some cases, adding that she was consistent.  She was basically saying some people, like Meghan, are not consistent in their "pro-life" position.  Good one, Joy.    

Not only the death penalty, but I wish they’d mention her love of hunting. How can she be pro life when she has no issue mounting the head of a dead animal that she willingly killed on her wall?

• Love 16
41 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

She was basically saying some people, like Meghan, are not consistent in their "pro-life" position. 

I think I might have theorized once before when the topic of abortion came up on the View that Meghan thinks she has to be "pro life" because she says she is pro LGTBQ.  In her mind I guess you can't be two things her tribe find contrary to their beliefs.

I'm surprised Whoopi kept her cool when Meghan said abortion is murder thereby calling women who have had abortions murderers.  It is such a shitty thing to say.  You can be against something without being an asshole to people who don't agree with you.  

• Love 17
(edited)

Yay for Ana being there! I'm more than fine with Whoopi being off since Joy gets to moderate and she's better at the job, but I'd much rather McCain was off than Whoopi if I had to choose which is worse.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 12
(edited)

Meg, the We the People bill addresses voter ID by expanding what can be accepted, including student IDs which currently are rejected. (Gun permits are good to go though.). Thank you, Sarah for mentioning this.

Oops. I guess Joy will get put in time out tomorrow after her joke. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9

Ugh Joy.  With all the talk about "in 2021, are you still surprised" about the Raiders football player coming out, WHY did she think a joke "penetration the end zone" was a good idea?  I groaned out loud. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I thought Joy's inappropriate joke for morning tv was the funniest thing she's said in awhile.  Of course, Meghan continued to look constipated while everyone else laughed.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Axie said:

I thought Joy's inappropriate joke for morning tv was the funniest thing she's said in awhile.  Of course, Meghan continued to look constipated while everyone else laughed.

That's because Joy said it. Remember when McCain said she loves Howard Stern back when and was never "offended" when he would say the N word like Sunny was, and yet she's pressed over any joke Joy makes. What a snowflake and phony.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 15

Ironic that yesterday Meghan basically called Whoopie and a lot of other women murderers and today she's sad that people have lost their humanity.

• Love 16
(edited)

McCain talking about cruelty now... It sounded genuine from Sunny yesterday, but hollow from McCain considering she's deliberately stoked those fires with her platform on this show the past four years. She always uses the most incendiary language she can come up with and makes everything on this show feel like it's practically on the verge of violence because of her constant personal attacks on the others.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Ugh Joy.  With all the talk about "in 2021, are you still surprised" about the Raiders football player coming out, WHY did she think a joke "penetration the end zone" was a good idea?  I groaned out loud. 

Yes, that was a joke straight out of the 1990's late night humor.  I am sure that Jay Leno told the same kinds of gay football jokes in his time.  It was a cheap shot and I was disappointed in Joy for that.  For a gay football player, coming out is a courageous act.  To react with "haha! anal sex!"  is disrespectful. 

• Love 16

That's rich of MM to criticize Dems for call Sinema a so called Democrat (I missed who she was referring to, was it Joy?).   MM has repeatedly called people RINOs and openly questioned Ana on her being a Republican

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was disappointed that Joy "went there" (in this day & age).  It's so unnecessary & such a cheap shot!!!

I think Joy's "comedian" instincts are stronger than her common sense sometimes. She may not be as empathetic as she'd like us to believe.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was disappointed that Joy "went there" (in this day & age).  It's so unnecessary & such a cheap shot!!!

She's already getting bad press:

"The View's Joy Behar is slammed as 'homophobic' for making crude joke about 'penetration in the end zone' and saying it's 'not that big a deal' Carl Nassib has come out as first gay NFL player"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9713547/The-Views-Joy-Behar-slammed-homophobic-Carl-Nassib-NFL-joke.html

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes, that was a joke straight out of the 1990's late night humor.  I am sure that Jay Leno told the same kinds of gay football jokes in his time.  It was a cheap shot and I was disappointed in Joy for that.  For a gay football player, coming out is a courageous act.  To react with "haha! anal sex!"  is disrespectful. 

I love Joy, and I think my posting history here will back that up. My jaw hit the floor when she cracked that joke.

I think it's possible we're going to look back in the near future, and say that was the beginning of the end of Joy Behar on The View. 

Even when she "walked it back" at the end of the segment, it was clear she only thought it was a problem because it was risqué for daytime, and not because it was treating gay love like a joke to snicker at. 

Maybe she won't get fired or quit because of it (at least not in a way that is publicly acknowledged), but between the coming backlash, her age (insofar as she's of retirement age), and her difficultly with the remote format, etc., I will not be at all surprised if she doesn't come back in the fall, or announces it's her final season.

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

That's because Joy said it. Remember when McCain said she loves Howard Stern back when and was never "offended" when he would say the N word like Sunny was, and yet she's pressed over any joke Joy makes. What a snowflake and phony.

It's not the only time Sunny's had to point out Meghan enjoying problematic/racist people. She's had to do it multiple times. A couple of the other men at the top of my head are Dave Portnoy and Tucker Carlson. 

Howard can be funny and entertaining, and I think he's become a nicer man over the years. That said, not only would he say racist things, the way he'd talk about women could be pretty gross too. Meghan doesn't get offended by racism or misogyny, but she clutches her pearls over almost anything from Joy. Give us a break Meghan! (I'm speaking generally btw, and not about what Joy said today.)

One thing Meghan is very sensitive about is body positivity. She'll complain about lingerie companies and reality shows not featuring larger sized women. I'm for the body positivity movement, but I understand a certain look sells and folks are trying to make money. IDK if he still does this, but I remember Howard would call beautiful female celebs fat if they gained a little weight. What was the excuse for that? He just wanted all women to look like Playmates?

37 minutes ago, After7Only said:

That's rich of MM to criticize Dems for call Sinema a so called Democrat (I missed who she was referring to, was it Joy?).   MM has repeatedly called people RINOs and openly questioned Ana on her being a Republican

I thought this too! 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 10
43 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

He did, as well as other hosts (Conan comes to mind constantly making Clay Aiken gay jokes before Clay came out).  I like both Jay and Conan, but I remember thinking way back then that it must be so hard for gay teens to hear/watch that and see an audience full of people laughing.  I love Joy but she really put her foot in her mouth.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

He did, as well as other hosts (Conan comes to mind constantly making Clay Aiken gay jokes before Clay came out).  I like both Jay and Conan, but I remember thinking way back then that it must be so hard for gay teens to hear/watch that and see an audience full of people laughing.  I love Joy but she really put her foot in her mouth.

One of my gay friends didn't play sports in high school because of the toxic environment. :( Locker room talk and those types of jokes do damage.

I don't think Joy meant harm, but I agree it was a foot in mouth moment. 

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

The second really nails it…especially the various tweets that pull no punches.  Loved the one that pointed out if, should they get to the pearly gates, she and Ben will have to answer for the fact that they seem to support white supremacists(I guess ben gets funding from one).   Also, I’m curious as one article said she can’t give a sermon in her church so what religion does she follow?  Haven’t ever heard what church she attends.  

Reportedly she attended an all-girls Catholic high school, but in an interview with FaithNet said she was born Baptist and "still attends" church when she's not traveling. Her husband is Anglican, the article said.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

She should get bad press.  I haven't watched the show yet but when I read here what she said I literally cringed.  She should know better.

There was nothing homophobic about the joke though, whether or not you found it funny. At worst, I'd call it crude.

• Love 13

MeAgain is despicable *every* day of the week. I'm still fuming over 'claiming to be' (President Biden as an observant Catholic). How DARE this piece of shit say something like that! She is so ugly - she makes me want to throw up.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, General Days said:

I love Joy, and I think my posting history here will back that up. My jaw hit the floor when she cracked that joke.

I think it's possible we're going to look back in the near future, and say that was the beginning of the end of Joy Behar on The View. 

Even when she "walked it back" at the end of the segment, it was clear she only thought it was a problem because it was risqué for daytime, and not because it was treating gay love like a joke to snicker at. 

Maybe she won't get fired or quit because of it (at least not in a way that is publicly acknowledged), but between the coming backlash, her age (insofar as she's of retirement age), and her difficultly with the remote format, etc., I will not be at all surprised if she doesn't come back in the fall, or announce it's her final season.

No offense, but if McCain has stuck through the past four years despite everything she's done, no way will Joy Behar go down for an off-color joke, lol.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

No offense, but if McCain has stuck through the past four years despite everything she's done, no way will Joy Behar go down for an off-color joke, lol.

None taken.

I don't necessarily think ABC would fire her. I do think they'll give her a talking to (and maybe eye letting her contract run out). I'm not sure Joy will be all that receptive to correction.

I absolutely don't think Joy is a homophobe. In fact, she's always been very supportive of the LGBTQ+ community. The joke was a clunker, and she shouldn't have told it, but that doesn't make her a hateful person. We all have blindspots in our humor. 

I do think Joy is a woman of her era, and at some point, she's going to leave. I just feel in my gut that today's episode will play into that.

I mostly think that, because it was pretty clear she didn't even understand the second reason she shouldn't have told that joke.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

There was nothing homophobic about the joke though, whether or not you found it funny. At worst, I'd call it crude.

I don't think the "joke" was homophobic. But I do think it's inappropriate and not funny.  That football player showed immense courage coming out and Joy reduces that to a cheap joke which implied when  you think of gay men you think of anal sex.  

I don't think she should be fired over this but I do think she needs to issue an apology. A real one and not the nonapology of I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I don't think the "joke" was homophobic. But I do think it's inappropriate and not funny. 

I laughed, personally. It looked like nearly everyone on the show did, too, and I don't think they were faking it just to make her feel better. Sometimes things make you laugh involuntarily.

I do think Joy is a woman of her era, and at some point, she's going to leave. I just feel in my gut that today's episode will play into that.

I mostly think that, because it was pretty clear she didn't even understand the second reason she shouldn't have told that joke.

I think her end on The View is coming, too, simply because she's getting up there in age. I'd like McCain to be gone so she can have a year or two on this show without that asshole there before she retires.

I think she looked more annoyed at being made to apologize partly because it sounded like a producer or something off-camera was telling her to do so. They were probably trying to get ahead of the tantrum McCain was going to throw offscreen. I imagine McCain looks for any reason to call up ABC over the other ladies to try to make sure they're in "equal" trouble to her. It's just like the joke about Trump's pants a week or two ago and how McCain jumped in to sneer at her that "We're not supposed to say that." Joy said the censors hadn't spoken to her at all and she had no idea what McCain was talking about. I took that whole interaction as 1.) McCain has been talked to about misinformation and salacious language she's spewed on the show by censors at some point recently (perhaps in regards to her Fauci controversies) and 2.) She probably called up ABC afterwards to make sure Joy gets in trouble over something, too, and that way they're "equal." She's nutso that way.

• Love 6
(edited)
11 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I laughed, personally. It looked like nearly everyone on the show did, too, and I don't think they were faking it just to make her feel better. Sometimes things make you laugh involuntarily.

I think her end on The View is coming, too, simply because she's getting up there in age. I'd like McCain to be gone so she can have a year or two on this show without that asshole there before she retires.

I think she looked more annoyed at being made to apologize partly because it sounded like a producer or something off-camera was telling her to do so. They were probably trying to get ahead of the tantrum McCain was going to throw offscreen. I imagine McCain looks for any reason to call up ABC over the other ladies to try to make sure they're in "equal" trouble to her. It's just like the joke about Trump's pants a week or two ago and how McCain jumped in to sneer at her that "We're not supposed to say that." Joy said the censors hadn't spoken to her at all and she had no idea what McCain was talking about. I took that whole interaction as 1.) McCain has been talked to about misinformation and salacious language she's spewed on the show by censors at some point recently (perhaps in regards to her Fauci controversies) and 2.) She probably called up ABC afterwards to make sure Joy gets in trouble over something, too, and that way they're "equal." She's nutso that way.

Sometimes, people laugh because something is shocking.

This "Hot Topic" wasn't about the latest Gallup Poll on Americans' favorite sexual positions. The topic was the coming out of a professional athlete in a league not exactly free of toxic masculinity. There's a difference between snickering about sex when the topic is sex and snickering about sex, when a person just declared his sexuality.

I don't mean to make you feel bad for laughing, but Joy was wrong to have told the joke, and not just because it was too bawdy for daytime (which it also was).

Your final paragraph gets at what I'm talking about though, when it comes to this being the beginning of Joy's end on the show. If there's a lot of fallout from this, I'm not sure Joy has the patience to deal with it, and I don't think The View cares enough about her anymore (if it ever did) to walk her through it gently. Edited to add: I think soon, the bullshit is going to be too much, for either Joy, or The View, or both.

Edited by General Days
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't mean to make you feel bad for laughing, but Joy was wrong to have told the joke, and not just because it was too bawdy for daytime (which it also was).

I don't feel bad. Everyone has a right to criticize her if they feel she did something wrong, but I do not feel that way. That said, I don't think it's realistic to think she's going anywhere. She's been in hot water over jokes that rubbed people wrong before (the Mike Pence thing, for example).

Funnily enough, both the Mike Pence joke and the nurses thing, like this, were likewise misunderstandings to me. I don't think there's anything homophobic about this just like I didn't see those jokes as anti-Christian or anti-nurse, respectively, either. The Caitlyn Jenner thing was an accident that actually merited an apology and she did it immediately without needing to be prompted.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They were probably trying to get ahead of the tantrum McCain was going to throw offscreen. I imagine McCain looks for any reason to call up ABC over the other ladies to try to make sure they're in "equal" trouble to her.

There is a huge difference between Joy telling a tasteless joke and Meghan being an obnoxious hateful person but yeah I'm sure Meghan is bursting with glee about this.

18 minutes ago, General Days said:

This "Hot Topic" wasn't about the latest Gallup Poll on Americans' favorite sexual positions. The topic was the coming out of a professional athlete in a league not exactly free of toxic masculinity. There's a difference between snickering about sex when the topic is sex and snickering about sex, when a person just declared his sexuality.

This.  As much as I love Joy it makes me sad that in 2021 she heard gay man and thought gay sex.  Two of my best friends are gay men and I only refer to them being gay if it is relevant to the conversation. Such as this one.

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

MeAgain is despicable *every* day of the week. I'm still fuming over 'claiming to be' (President Biden as an observant Catholic). How DARE this piece of shit say something like that! She is so ugly - she makes me want to throw up.

Yes, when she took umbrage with Joy calling Sinema a "so-called" Democrat, I thought that was rich since just yesterday MeAgain was basically calling Biden a "so-called" Catholic, just with different language.

I loved how Joy ignored her outrage.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Meg, the We the People bill addresses voter ID by expanding what can be excepted, including student IDs which currently are rejected. (Gun permits are good to go though.). Thank you, Sarah for mentioning this.

Why doesn't someone promote subsidized IDs for poor people?  They could vote and also use them to access social programs, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Sue in her 60s said:

Reportedly she attended an all-girls Catholic high school, but in an interview with FaithNet said she was born Baptist and "still attends" church when she's not traveling. Her husband is Anglican, the article said.

Meghan did attend Xavier Prep in Phoenix.  It's very close to her home, but it was (probably still is) considered the most prestigious secondary education school in our county.  Its "brother" school on the same property is Brophy Prep (much older and more revered high school for boys).  She grew up attending North Phoenix Baptist (Mega) Church with her parents after her mother was baptized in 1991.  Again, it was very close to their home. 

• Useful 2
43 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

There is a huge difference between Joy telling a tasteless joke and Meghan being an obnoxious hateful person but yeah I'm sure Meghan is bursting with glee about this.

AND...noticing the look of bewildered disgust on Meghan's face, consider how she would have reacted in a different venue if her favorite Real Housewife, ERIKA JAYNE, had made the same lame joke--or even if she had said it on "The View." Meghan would have LOVED it!

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think Joy just had a flashback to her act and she spurted it out.  That old joke's been around since football has been around.  I dont see it as a gay joke at all, its just a man, sport, score joke.  Joy was  channeling Joan Rivers and Mrs Manzel heehe.......valdemmings.com

Edited by ForumLou
Added
  • Love 7
(edited)

I heard that joke in the same form years and years ago and it was sexual but not gay related.  Like a similar non sports watching person also says years ago about only liking to watch to see all the tight ends . It was like when she had a bad joke writer years ago that was awful. 
I liked how she went on about her good priest  and nun friends , somehow  I thought she was taking a jab at MM and all her friends to qualify whatever she’s spouting about. 
ForumLou —- typing at same time. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Reference
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

When you look at the crap snowflake pulls almost every day and still has a job, then there’s no way they could justify letting Joy go for a bad joke. (And I agree that, as a comedian for 50 years, your comedic mind talks faster than your thoughtful mind.  I mean McCain has been rude to many many guests in addition to her co hosts.  Not even close.  

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I think Joy got in a good zinger at Meghan when she said many of the people who are pro-life in regards to abortion believe in the death penalty, and that she was pro-choice and she believed in the death penalty in some cases, adding that she was consistent.  She was basically saying some people, like Meghan, are not consistent in their "pro-life" position.  Good one, Joy.    

Joy’s point doesn’t really make sense. There IS a distinct difference between killing INNOCENT unborn babies and killing GUILTY people who have committed unspeakable heinous crimes.

5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Meg, the We the People bill addresses voter ID by expanding what can be excepted, including student IDs which currently are rejected. (Gun permits are good to go though.). Thank you, Sarah for mentioning this  

Accepted. Good lord. 🙄

• LOL 5
21 minutes ago, darwin416 said:

Joy’s point doesn’t really make sense. There IS a distinct difference between killing INNOCENT unborn babies and killing GUILTY people who have committed unspeakable heinous crimes.

There's a difference, but what is it exactly? If one claims it's wrong to kill an organism that isn't yet developed enough to be self-aware etc. because it's a human life, then that it's okay to kill a grown adult if they *might* have committed a heinous crime, then obviously that opinion has nothing to do with thinking it's wrong to kill something because it's human and alive.

I doubt MM would care if a Catholic Conservative was pro-death penalty, of course.

I suspect if we lined up all her values we wouldn't see much consistent concern for actual babies in general at all.

• Love 10