Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

A scoop of Culver's frozen custard of the day (crunch swirl or something like that) and a cereal bowl of Cheetos Paws.  I'm having a rough week.

I hope your weekend gets better! I had a crappy day recently and nachos were my go-to comfort food. And boy were they loaded and oinky!

• Love 1

I'm really trying to stick to my healthy eating habits, but decided to allow myself one cheat meal per week (not a cheat day, just one cheat meal) on 'weigh day'.  I decided on red meat, so I made two hamburger patties, some brown gravy and rice.  It was delish.  

• Love 3

I've been craving Chinese food for a couple of weeks, so tonight I went to the local place we frequented in the past.  And I will not be going back there again.  Which is a shame...it used to be so good.  

I had veggie spring rolls and not-crispy-at-all crispy beef.  Ah well...

Ye Olde Tuna Noodle Casserole tonight, by special request of the hub. It's still in the oven, and I can feel my arteries hardening!  Last night was a yummy brussels sprout and sweet potato hash that was so rich it didn't even need the fried eggs that were supposed to go on top.

• Love 2

Saturday night was oven roasted chicken so Sunday was leftover chicken in tortilla soup (Cookwell & Company).  I add a can of beans to the soup and some avocado to the bowl.

I've got leftovers so that will be a nice lunch for today and probably tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I made red beans and rice but it came out bland. Is it okay to just stir more cayenne pepper into the pot while it sits in the firdge for leftovers?

I think it would be ok as the flavor will infuse when you reheat it. I use Tabasco for the extra punch and that way my friends who don't like spicy don't have to suffer through my love of heat. I also put cut up peppers, onions and celery on top for some extra crunch and flavor. 

• Love 1

DH and I had dinner with his parents last night as we were visiting his hometown.  We went to a delicious izakaya restaurant near where we were staying and I think I have a new favourite there:  okonomyaki (a savoury vegetable pancake).  I think my MIL was a bit confused about izakaya dining - even after we explained that it was a little like dim sum/tapas (she's never heard of tapas style dining).  I think they both really liked the food though.  We are going back home tonight and will be ordering from a chicken place.  Too lazy to cook.

• Love 1

I have just indulged a crispy bacon rashers & soft eggs in a freshly baked French stick (or baguette), with lashings of brown sauce, and sliced into quarters for easier handling and less-messy eating.

Rather yummy, if rather naughty.

• Love 1

I had company for dinner last night and made Anne Burrell's Herb Roasted Chicken with Rosemary Smashed Potatoes and a nice green salad. I've got just enough leftover chicken and gravy to make a nice Chicken Pot Pie for dinner tonight. No leftover potatoes, though. I had to whack a few fingers to get them away from the taste testers and onto the table.

55 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Last night I made tomato soup in my new Instant Pot, so I'll be having leftovers, with a gooey grilled cheese on pumpernickel sandwich.

My kind of comfort food. 

Note: Back in high school, some kids used to make "ghetto grilled cheese" (croque etudiant?) by microwaving packaged cheese on a pumpernickel bagel.  It's even MORE "ghetto"/"etudiant" than my mom's version of melting cheese on bread in a toaster oven!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Sounds delicious and I was planning on chicken thighs tonight so I will do this, rice and some sort veg.

FYI: the sauce won't thicken on its' own.  I followed another users' suggestion of dissolving 1tsp. cornstarch into 1tbsp. tap water and then adding it to the sauce.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

FYI: the sauce won't thicken on its' own.  I followed another users' suggestion of dissolving 1tsp. cornstarch into 1tbsp. tap water and then adding it to the sauce.  

Thanks worked well. Served it with brown rice and ginger and chili roasted parsnips.

I tried to make what I was calling "Chicken Faux Mein" last night, using spaghetti squash as the noodles.  We have a few spaghetti squashes left over from our last couple of farm share boxes, and I read somewhere (here?) that using the "spaghetti" as the noodle in an Asian dish would make it a little more palatable than in an Italian style dish.  We had tried SS once before, served with marinara-type sauce, and didn't care for it.  I don't think we cooked it long enough before spaghetti-ing it, and it was a little toothsome.  I also didn't care for the taste of it.  Covering it in a nice lo mein-style sauce seemed like a good idea.  I cooked the squash in my Instant Pot, though (following the directions in an IP cookbook to a T!!), and this time it was OVERcooked.  Grrr.  It tasted fine, but was pretty mushy.  Spaghetti Squash, you are my NEMESIS.

1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Spaghetti Squash, you are my NEMESIS.

I never cared for it as a substitute. I would eat it if it were on my plate served by someone else to me, but I have made exactly zero attempts at cooking it myself in my own home. 

I think if I were to choose the way I would serve it, it would be with plenty of butter and some salt, negating any positives from eating a nice healthy vegetable. 

• Love 4

Spaghetti squash is one of those foods that's supposed to be just as good as "the real thing". News flash: spaghetti squash will NEVER be an adequate substitute for pasta, just like an apple is not an acceptable alternative to a Snickers bar.

Topic: I ate the last of the chicken last night so tonight, I'm thinking oatmeal.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

Spaghetti squash is one of those foods that's supposed to be just as good as "the real thing". News flash: spaghetti squash will NEVER be an adequate substitute for pasta, just like an apple is not an acceptable alternative to a Snickers bar.

And mashed cauliflower is not a substitute for mashed potatoes. I like cauliflower, roasted, mashed, or in Loaded Cauliflower Casserole, but it's because I like the taste of cauliflower. Radishes, however, can be substituted for potatoes in a pot roast without anyone noticing...until later, anyway (radishes make you toot worst than beans!).

9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I made my version of a quiche lorraine where I substitute half the bacon for sauted mushrooms and add some cayenne to the carmalized onion for a little heat and an arugula salad on the side.

Yum! Do you make your own pie crust?

20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yum! Do you make your own pie crust?

Every few months I make a double batch of Ina's pie crust  and freeze the three other balls. I like it for both sweet and savory pies and tarts and freezes well so it's easy to make a quiche or dessert fairly quickly. 

• Love 1

Last night was Red Robin because on Tuesday my kitchen faucet decided it was going to start leaking from parts unknown, but managed to turn my counter top into a swamp.  No dampness or water underneath, so it is from some part of the faucet that is above ground (so to speak).  Water to sink is shut off now.

Yesterday was a frantic search for a replacement faucet and one that could be purchased locally.  I ended up buying two - one that is a different brand, but almost identical to the one I had and the other has a higher arc and the feature where you can touch it on if your hands are dirty.  I'll need to decide which one I am going with before the plumber gets here.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Last night was Red Robin because on Tuesday my kitchen faucet decided it was going to start leaking from parts unknown, but managed to turn my counter top into a swamp.  No dampness or water underneath, so it is from some part of the faucet that is above ground (so to speak).  Water to sink is shut off now.

Yesterday was a frantic search for a replacement faucet and one that could be purchased locally.  I ended up buying two - one that is a different brand, but almost identical to the one I had and the other has a higher arc and the feature where you can touch it on if your hands are dirty.  I'll need to decide which one I am going with before the plumber gets here.

Sorry to hear about your faucet troubles. I like the idea of not having a handle to push/pull when my hands are contaminated. I always fear salmonella (when using raw chicken for instance) and having to de-germ it after uses. 

What did you have at Red Robin? So many choices there and they all always sound good. 

I had the prime rib dip - a misnomer since it was really just roast beef, but I am a sucker for a French dip sandwich,  Both kids had hamburgers of sorts, but they were out of the four cheese mac & cheese my daughter wanted.  Must be pretty good because we were there just before 6 PM.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I had the prime rib dip - a misnomer since it was really just roast beef, but I am a sucker for a French dip sandwich,  Both kids had hamburgers of sorts, but they were out of the four cheese mac & cheese my daughter wanted.  Must be pretty good because we were there just before 6 PM.

Do you have a Red Robin customer card to get perks? You go online to register the card they give you in the restaurant. Then you get a free hamburger during your birthday month. Also, if you buy ten entrees, the next one is free. We are pleased with the quality of their food and always make sure we dine there to get our free birthday burgers! 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

We don't go to Red Robin that often so no customer card.  My kitchen faucet went kaput on Tuesday evening mandating minimal dish usage until it gets replaced and, conveniently, a Red Robin coupon post card came in the mail on Wednesday so the 20% off coupon made the decision for me.  A miscommunication with the plumber resulted in me not being on their schedule Thursday so at some point this morning I should have a new kitchen faucet (I'm just north of Houston so the plumbers and other related services are BOOKED with Harvey related work.  The guy I use I've used for years and so does my brother so he's squeezing me in today because of the scheduling mixup).

So last night was whatever was easy and didn't involve a pan.  I ended up with baked potato soup from Randall's (Tx version of Vons) and Asian cole slaw,  my son ate a sandwich and my daughter cereal.

Hmmm...Mr. P914 has been wanting to go to Red Robin (he's been there several times with friends and likes it) but I figured it was just another fast food place.  I guess I was wrong because that 4 cheese mac & cheese sounds wonderful.  We have one near us so maybe I need to check it out.  I always learn something from this forum!

• Love 2
On 11/3/2017 at 8:50 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...Mr. P914 has been wanting to go to Red Robin (he's been there several times with friends and likes it) but I figured it was just another fast food place. 

All I know about Red Robin is it tends to appear in malls, making it the one place in those structures you can get drinks made with liquor.  The food is totally generic American chain restaurant - edible, certainly, and in some cases even good, but not at all something to seek out.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

All I know about Red Robin is it tends to appear in malls

That's funny. Both locations in my neck of the woods are standalones and do great business. One thing they really do deliver upon is the bottomless fries, and they are pretty good. Neither too thick nor too thin. The burger selection is quite varied, too. There are other things, too, though.

43 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

That's funny. Both locations in my neck of the woods are standalones and do great business. One thing they really do deliver upon is the bottomless fries, and they are pretty good. Neither too thick nor too thin. The burger selection is quite varied, too. There are other things, too, though.

Yeah I grew up in Seattle where they started and have never seen one inside a mall. Some are mall or strip mall adjacent but they tend to be stand alone restaurants.

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Same here. The locations are standalone in my area. And I love that you can get a mixture of fries---sweet potato and regular. We usually just get one of the various burgers, which are good, but have also gotten the fish and chips, chili, and an occasional salad. We think it's much better than other similar restaurants like Fridays. I usually go with my neighbors who have kids and they love the "buy 10 entrees, get one free" offer if you get their dining card. They get a free entree about every third visit!