Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I have been craving latkes for the last week and a half and since I am not Jewish tonight will be pork chops with a mustard dill sauce, green beans, applesauce and latkes. 

Do you have a recipe or way of making the mustard dill sauce? It sounds good. 

5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do you have a recipe or way of making the mustard dill sauce? It sounds good. 

I just tend to wing it. While the chops are resting get rid of the fat, add some butter and saute shallots than deglaze with some white wine, add some stock, mustard, boil for a bit than add pan juices, dill, simmer a little bit longer and since I don't have heavy cream I will use sour cream and lemon juice off heat.

• Love 4

Apparently I am channeling my Jewish great grandmother this week so had spicy cabbage rolls (though i used half spicy italian pork sausage) with kasha varnishkes (buckwheat groats and pasta), such yummy comfort food.

• Love 2
On 12/17/2017 at 9:30 PM, biakbiak said:

Apparently I am channeling my Jewish great grandmother this week so had spicy cabbage rolls (though i used half spicy italian pork sausage) with kasha varnishkes (buckwheat groats and pasta), such yummy comfort food.

We'll be having kasha varnishkes in a week with pierogies, kapusta grochem (split peas and cabbage/sauerkraut), and assorted seafood -- can't wait! It's funny, I enjoy the kasha and kapusta more than the seafood everyone else fights over. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, harrie said:

We'll be having kasha varnishkes in a week with pierogies, kapusta grochem (split peas and cabbage/sauerkraut), and assorted seafood -- can't wait! It's funny, I enjoy the kasha and kapusta more than the seafood everyone else fights over. 

Do you make your own sauerkraut?  I love real pungent sauerkraut. I was so disappointed when I tried it at a famous German deli that has been in my town for at least 30 years. I wanted to say "This is not sauerkraut!"

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Do you make your own sauerkraut?  I love real pungent sauerkraut. I was so disappointed when I tried it at a famous German deli that has been in my town for at least 30 years. I wanted to say "This is not sauerkraut!"

No, we'll have to try doing that sometime; we make the pierogies from scratch, though.

I forgot - dinner tonight was salmon burgers and vinegary cucumbers.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I made spaghetti, not from scratch, because I was super busy and it was fast and easy. After dinner, I cut off the burner, left the lid on the pot, and went back to make last-minute changes to a project. I figured I would be finished within the hour and by then, the spaghetti would have cooled enough to move to the fridge.

Mom reminded me of it -- 3 hours later. I went ahead and transferred it to a smaller dish and put it in the fridge, just in case. But it's probably best to throw it out, huh?

3 hours from hot? It should be fine.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Mom reminded me of it -- 3 hours later. I went ahead and transferred it to a smaller dish and put it in the fridge, just in case. But it's probably best to throw it out, huh?

Not unless it's sweltering in your house.

• Love 1

Every once in awhile I get a random craving so tonight it will be an iceburg wedge with blue cheese dressing, bacon bits and garlicky homemade croutons. I realize the lack of nutritional value in iceburg lettuce but it is the perfect crispy way to get all the other flavors in my mouth! 

• Love 5

For Christmas Eve I purchased one dozen pork and one dozen jalapeño cheese tamales. The jalapeño cheese ones are very spicy, more spicy than previous batches. To tone down the spiciness,  I split them lengthwise and layered with black beans, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce and Monterey Jack. It is delicious and I love it when a made-up plan comes together! I will definitely do this again.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 4

I took the leftovers of the potato gratin and turned it into a rosti and served with some fresh homemade sausages and homemade mustard a friend gifted us for Christmas, some homebrewed beer from my Dad and a big salad with a garlic vinegarette with the oil from the garlic confit I made via sous vide. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Found some pizza dough in the freezer, I really should keep better track of what I keep in there, so I roasted some peppers and will have mushroom, hot italian sauaage and roasted red peppers pizza for dinner.

Also, started brining my pork roast in a citrus and herbs for NYE dinner. 

Edited by biakbiak

Rotisserie chicken, customized Stove Top dressing (w/ minced parsley & celery and Mural of Flavor) and a tossed salad.  Needed something easy tonight and was patting myself on the back.  Then--a measuring cup that I poured homemade Ranch dressing into and covered with plastic wrap? Toppled in the fridge and was dripping down the shelves. What.A.Mess.  Well, the refrigerator which has been overstuffed, just got cleaned out on the lower two shelves.  I'll finish the job tomorrow...too tired tonight.  

• Love 2

Korean veggie ramen with extra kimchi and gochujang. Super spicy but a nice contrast to all the heavy foods. Plus the last piece of christmas cake to negate the lightness.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Yesterday I fired up a pot of classic Sunday Gravy Italian style at about 10:00 to simmer for a few hours. Mostly because I was looking for another heat source in the house, because BRRR.

Before dinner I split the sauce, some for the vegetarian, and some to cook a couple pounds of beef+pork meatballs. Can't go wrong serving either of those two options in my house. The pasta of choice was rigatoni for a change of pace. I went light on the pasta, but not so much on the meatballs.

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Uniting the Christmas ham with the NYE roast pork into delicious cubanos with a black bean and corn salad.

I actually bought rolls to make my own version of that sandwich for my Christmas Ham. We then made bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches instead, so I used up some of my ham making a light jambalaya that I've been making forever.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I actually bought rolls to make my own version of that sandwich for my Christmas Ham. We then made bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches instead, so I used up some of my ham making a light jambalaya that I've been making forever.

Would you share the light jambalaya recipe? I have a small ham in the fridge and no plans for it!

26 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Would you share the light jambalaya recipe? I have a small ham in the fridge and no plans for it!

Sure! It's 230 calories per serving, pretty much all carbs from the rice, but still doable. 

Depending on whether or not I was trying to keep it light over the years, it is a recipe that takes very well to adding in some sort of sausage to make it more interesting. An andouille sausage livens it up quite a bit. There are also plenty of spicy turkey or chicken sausages that will also work and keep it a super low fat recipe. 

I mean, it's not an amazing jambalaya recipe. It's simply a nice way to use up ham that tastes pretty good and isn't too bad for you.

• Love 1

I made an old favorite I haven't made in awhile. I roast shrimp ala Ina Garten (shrimp, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper). I sauté sliced zucchini, add a can of Hunts fire roasted diced tomatoes and some thyme. Toss in shrimp. I eat mine over brown rice, my husband like his over angel hair pasta.

• Love 1

I thought we were going to have French onion soup tonight but forgot that you have to make it the day before and store in fridge so that the next day you can skim off a lot of the butter (it's now sitting in the garage in a Dutch oven cause there's no room in the fridge tonight). So I popped a California Pizza Kitchen pizza in the oven which was not bad ,and then we had salad.  Tomorrow night--onion soup or bust!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

(it's now sitting in the garage in a Dutch oven cause there's no room in the fridge tonight). 

That's the one thing I love about cold weather. It frees up the fridge. More storage space.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Today is National Spaghetti Day.

I think that's a perfectly good reason to have that for dinner tonight. I have plenty of sauce in the fridge.

Aww...I need to keep up with these special national food days cause they're fun. Mangia!

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Aww...I need to keep up with these special national food days cause they're fun. Mangia!

I signed up for a daily email from nationaldaycalendar dot com. Lots of good food ones. And lots of good booze ones as well.

• Love 1

Last night was Cipriani pasta with a white truffle sauce. Tonight it's simple. Chicken Florentine. Can't drive yet due to the roads being impassible. No worries. Have a good pantry and electricity. Just wish the Grill wasn't frozen shut! 

• Love 1