Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I blew my dinner off yesterday trying to take care of some business. Actually, I did horrible things which is out of the norm.

Breakfast: lettuce wrap burger that I forgot to say no cheese, pickles or onions so I had to pull over and scrape it all off.

Snack on the way home from said business meeting: half bag of chicharrones.

Snack after arriving home: half slice of Italian Cream cake.

Dinner: the other unopened bag of Chicharrones.

I got home late from work (I got my hair cut and made a Wal Mart run), so I'm having a pimento cheese sandwich and some chips w/ranch dip.  (I was going to grill the sandwich, but didn't have the energy, so I'm eating it cold.  It still tastes pretty good.)

• Love 2

Panera salads because I'm hosting a pot luck lunch for 20 tomorrow. My cleaning service came this afternoon and nothing is going to be cooked in my very clean kitchen until they arrive.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

I made a quick stop at the grocery store on my way home from work and picked up the fixings for either hamburgers or meat loaf.  When I got home, I decided I was too tired to mix up a meat loaf so burgers it is!  I had an appetizer of some really good crunchy green grapes nice and cold right out of the fridge ('Star Wars' brand table grapes--I don't know why 'Star Wars', but they were really good grapes) while I wait for burgers to get done. 

Since last week's premiere of The Good Place I have been craving my favorite pizza from my prime pizza eating days (child through mid 20s) when I was a vegetarian: pineapple and red pepper flakes, SHUT IT! IT'S DELICIOUS! Since I am not a monster it was half that and half sausage and mushroom for my boyfriend.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Since last week's premiere of The Good Place I have been craving my favorite pizza from my prime pizza eating days (child through mid 20s) when I was a vegetarian: pineapple and red pepper flakes, SHUT IT! IT'S DELICIOUS! Since I am not a monster it was half that and half sausage and mushroom for my boyfriend.

That's foodie diplomacy done well.  :)

Random leftovers to clean out fridge since garbage gets picked up tomorrow morning.  I opted for the chicken fettuccini, son had chicken enchilada soup with extra chicken and my daughter is grazing while doing homework.

We call them zucchini boats to make them sound more appealing to the kids. It worked.

I have a friend who called broccoli with cheese sauce 'cheese and trees'.  It got her kids to eat it and once they tried it they liked it.

• Love 6
On 10/4/2017 at 4:57 PM, Spunkygal said:

Is this in TJ's frozen or refrigerated section? 

Refrigerated section -- we hadn't seen it in a couple of months so it may be a seasonal item

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

image22S.jpg.cae36ea458e1313cc40046bc96f4ac14.jpg

Panzanella salad made with leftover French bread. 

Reminds me of having lunch at a mom and pop place in Florence and hearing Americans nearby ask each other what panzanella salad was, and thinking - really? Looks good.

• Love 1

It's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and normally, I would cook dinner.  Instead, we went to our family club for a delicious turkey meal. :)

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Reminds me of having lunch at a mom and pop place in Florence and hearing Americans nearby ask each other what panzanella salad was, and thinking - really? Looks good.

Funny that you said that. The guy I'm dating is in Florence and that's what inspired me. Better news is that he'll be home soon and always brings me foreign treats. 

• Love 2

Needed to use up some vegetables so roasted cauliflower with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese as the vegetable and chicken fajitas with a big pile of peppers and onions. 

ETA: I'd like to put on the record that it is nice that my soon to be teenage son generally speaking just eats whatever I put on a plate for him at this point. Sometimes he genuinely doesn't like something, but as an example, this is the first time I fed him what was essentially chicken with peppers and onions on a tortilla, and he scarfed them down without comment. No opening them up and inspecting them. It's refreshing. It probably didn't hurt that the smell of peppers and onions cooking down was rolling into where he was sitting for a good thirty minutes before I fed him.

Edited by JTMacc99
On 10/4/2017 at 7:25 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Cheaters chicken parmigiana (leftover rotisserie chicken with my homemade sauce and some mozzarella heated up until the cheese is melted) 

That is so cheating!  The judges on Chopped would ding you for describing a dish that is NOT that dish.  :> See below for chicken prep.  :P

On 10/4/2017 at 3:58 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Chicken schnitzel, coleslaw and garlic bread

I love schnitzel anything.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Turkey stock is in the freezer.  And since I was making a mess anyway, I made a big batch of tomato sauce with my fresh herbs and froze it. 

In a burst of self restraint, I made only enough gravy for one hot sandwich, which I will have tonight with the remains of the Turkey Day vegetables. Then it's turkey sandwiches for the week.   

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ariel said:

Lasagna -  using Barilla oven ready lasagna pasta. I'm also using my Sharp Micro/Convection oven for this dish.  First time.  We'll how this turns out.  ;)  

I have NEVER made lasagna at home.  Real lasagna, anyway - I'm always worried that I'd break the noodles or something.  I've made deconstructed lasagna a few times though.

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

I have NEVER made lasagna at home.  Real lasagna, anyway - I'm always worried that I'd break the noodles or something.  I've made deconstructed lasagna a few times though.

I say you put this on your to do list. Go with the noodles that don't need to be boiled first to make it even easier (and it's already pretty easy.)  Like @Qoass is saying, there's really not a lot of worries while you're assembling it. Just a layer of this, a layer of that, and so on. Nothing has to be perfect in order for it to be delicious.

And all this talk of turkey related to Thanksgiving in Canday and the still unseasonably warm weather here has made me decide to defrost the turkey breast in my freezer and put it on the smoker this month. I was going to say this weekend, but I just remembered that Saturday we've got a pretty long trip for softball and Sunday we're going to be guests of the Jets which should be a lot of fun. So probably next week for the smoked turkey. 

Edited by JTMacc99

I make awesome lasagna, if I do say so myself.   Layers of ricotta mixed with fresh spinach, instead of that cottage cheese crap and frozen spinach.   Homemade tomato sauce.  Crumbled, cooked sausage meat (turkey or pork, depending how virtuous I am feeling). And no bake noodles.