Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Yesterday afternoon I knocked out a batch of meatballs which were dumped into some of my homemade tomato sauce from earlier in the week. That'll be dinner tonight. An ideal quick Monday after work meal as it also sets me up for leftovers at some point later in the week.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:52 PM, biakbiak said:

Steak, a fully loaded baked potato, and the leftover braised red cabbage.

So simple yet so mouth watering! Do you have a good recipe for the cabbage? I am not a fan of cabbage but i sometimes think it's cause i do not know how to cook it right.

Tonight I am going to try my hand and something new and wonderfully Caribbean-  Jerk Chicken, rice and peas.

Have had this on a couple of occasions at restaurants, and have loved the marinated chicken taste. But try as I might I have never got round to making my own until now. Have all the ingredients to hand, including:-

chicken thighs

ginger

onions

garlic cloves

chillies

tyme

soy sauce

mixed herbs

wholegrain rice

Should be fun... hopefully!

• Love 1

My gym serves pizza on the first Monday of the month so probably that. They serve bagels and cream cheese on the first Tuesday and always have Tootise Rolls at the desk. 

I don't understand my gym.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

I don't understand my gym.

Ha!

Well, I'm going with "Let's feed them carbs covered with cheese. It builds a sense of community, and it gives them a common goal to work it off together.

Therefore they both WANT to, and HAVE to keep coming here.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Rio said:

So simple yet so mouth watering! Do you have a good recipe for the cabbage? I am not a fan of cabbage but i sometimes think it's cause i do not know how to cook it right.

I don' really have a recipe, though this one is good. I frequently use beer or cider for the liquid instead of stock, sometimes I add bacon (cook the bacon rendering the fat, remove with slotted spoon and cook the onions in the bacon fat and than add the bacon back at the end) and different herbs depending what I have on hand. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, EllieH said:

Pasta e ceci -- delicious and super quick to put together!  I'd never had this before but will definitely make it again.

Oh, I'm all over this one. I'm not sure about the finishing oil component. I'm sure it's awesome, but it adds a layer of extra work I wouldn't want to do. Instead I might just add a tiny amount of rosemary with the garlic at the beginning because I'm reading this recipe and can smell the garlic and rosemary already in my head.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Oh, I'm all over this one. I'm not sure about the finishing oil component. I'm sure it's awesome, but it adds a layer of extra work I wouldn't want to do. Instead I might just add a tiny amount of rosemary with the garlic at the beginning because I'm reading this recipe and can smell the garlic and rosemary already in my head.

Haha. Of course you can smell it already. Sounds delicious!

Thawed leftover Ina's Italian Wedding Soup (love those meatballs!) and made a salad.  Also, I made some scalloped potatoes with a little ham today to use up some potatoes before they went bad.  I used a recipe I found at All Recipes and added some seasonings, and stuff.  It was verrrry good.  Crazy supper but it worked for us.

• Love 3
On 11/6/2017 at 9:41 PM, EllieH said:

Pasta e ceci -- delicious and super quick to put together!  I'd never had this before but will definitely make it again.

So I made this tonight. So easy and tasty!

The key seems to be the cooking of the garlic. It calls to get it to just starting to brown before dropping in the tomato paste to stop the cooking. I think that’s exactly right. A little too long and the whole thing is going to taste like burnt garlic. Too little and you don’t get the warm flavor almost like roasted garlic in the dish. 

• Love 2

By the by, I just put the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook Smitten Kitchen Every Day on hold at my library. I'm being very good about not buying any more cookbooks but the pile of recipes I've downloaded off of websites and photocopied on the sly keeps growing at a frightening rate.

• Love 1

I made lamb vindaloo in the Instant Pot for the first time and it turned out well and then did a chana masala on the stove. I didn't feel like making naan and we were out of rice so picked those up from an Indian place around the corner, the joys of city living!

• Love 2

We had pie scraps from the chicken pot pie so I made cheese straws with a good sharp cheddar and tons of black pepper. We also had mushrooms and a bunch of small peppers, so I also made stuffed mushrooms and stuffed peppers, added it to a platter with prosciutto, olives, and a few cheeses and just had apps for dinner with prosseco.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

We had pie scraps from the chicken pot pie so I made cheese straws with a good sharp cheddar and tons of black pepper. We also had mushrooms and a bunch of small peppers, so I also made stuffed mushrooms and stuffed peppers, added it to a platter with prosciutto, olives, and a few cheeses and just had apps for dinner with prosseco.

You had me at Prosecco. Developed a serious love when we were in Italy this year. So affordable there.

We had jumbo lump crab cakes and Red Robin seasoned steak fries - I think they are the best frozen fries on the market. 

On 10/16/2017 at 9:03 AM, annzeepark914 said:

This is what I do:  I cut off a lot of the fat; place it in a dish (& dig fat out of that bone section too).  Then in a small bowl I mix some Gulden's mustard and French's yellow mustard, add some dark brown sugar and ground cloves, then add some juice from canned pineapple slices.  I pour that mixture over the ham steak. I place the pineapple slices on top, sprinkle a little more ground cloves on top, & bake it at 350 degrees for half an hour.

I did this a couple of weeks ago but forgot to post back - It came out delicious!  I made mashed potatoes to go with it and concocted my own gravy for them based on the mustard, brown sugar, spices and pineapple juice mixed with chicken broth and a little flour to thicken over the stove.  It was FANTASTIC, thanks very much!

• Love 1

After boozing it up with my old friends on Saturday evening, I went low effort for dinner yesterday. I had a bag of nice small potatoes from the farm, so I cut up about three pounds of them into 1.5 inch cubes, seasoned them with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little rosemary and roasted them until golden brown and awesome. About half way through I put a tray of smoked sausages (spicy chicken variety as opposed to the fantastic locally made pork variety I used to buy) in the oven with them. Microwaved up some brocolli and served it all with a green salad. 

Nice thing about it getting cold is it brings things like roasted potatoes and cauliflower back into heavy rotation in my house. 

I've got a pizza dough in my refrigerator, so I think that's tonight's dinner for the kids. 

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

After boozing it up with my old friends on Saturday evening, I went low effort for dinner yesterday. I had a bag of nice small potatoes from the farm, so I cut up about three pounds of them into 1.5 inch cubes, seasoned them with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little rosemary and roasted them until golden brown and awesome. About half way through I put a tray of smoked sausages (spicy chicken variety as opposed to the fantastic locally made pork variety I used to buy) in the oven with them. Microwaved up some brocolli and served it all with a green salad. 

Nice thing about it getting cold is it brings things like roasted potatoes and cauliflower back into heavy rotation in my house. 

I've got a pizza dough in my refrigerator, so I think that's tonight's dinner for the kids. 

Sound delish and comforting.

• Love 1

Tonight we had lasagna.  All the ingredients for it are on sale this week, so I took advantage of that. I did make a homemade version of Rao's sauce.  There are only two of us, so I made it in a bread sized loaf pan.  

• Love 3

I'm making mac and cheese from scratch tonight to use up scraps left over from a cheese plate: cheddar, asiago, parmesan, and gouda. I have some bacon that needs using so that will probably go in too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I'm making mac and cheese from scratch tonight to use up scraps left over from a cheese plate: cheddar, asiago, parmesan, and gouda. I have some bacon that needs using so that will probably go in too.

Holy comfort food. I definitely need to step up my mac and cheese game. I tend to stick with sharp cheddar and a little hot sauce.

• Love 1

Bubbie's Meatloaf (a Dave Lieberman recipe but with my own topping); whipped potatoes, and those wonderful French green beans (haricot vert?)  Good ol' comfort food.  After reading the previous posts, I'm thinking it's time to make Ina's mac and cheese next.

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Bubbie's Meatloaf (a Dave Lieberman recipe but with my own topping); whipped potatoes, and those wonderful French green beans (haricot vert?)  Good ol' comfort food.  After reading the previous posts, I'm thinking it's time to make Ina's mac and cheese next.

This one?  My dad always had Gruyere in the house when I was growing up, and I developed quite the dislike for it. And I'm pretty much on the "all cheese is good cheese" team. 

I mean, I still buy it when I'm in the onion soup business, because it's just the right thing to do.  I suppose I can see how it would be a good match with the sharp cheddar here, but I'd probably swap it out for something else.

Oh, and I don't like tomatoes on my mac and cheese. 

4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

This one?  My dad always had Gruyere in the house when I was growing up, and I developed quite the dislike for it. And I'm pretty much on the "all cheese is good cheese" team. 

Wow - 953 reviews!  I love Gruyere, Swiss & Emmenthal.  I love to read the reviews since I get good ideas on what to put in the dish.   Someone (at the top of the 953 reviews) said to rinse the macaroni with cold water or the cheese sauce would dry up.  Is that so?  I've never done that with a macaroni dish that would be baked.  But to answer JTMacc99's question, last night I started saving several mac and cheese recipes in one folder so I don't know which one I'm going to make (maybe a little bit of each one to make it interesting!)

See, Jarlsberg is one of my absolute favorites. Unlike Gruyere which I don't typically have in my fridge because I don't care for it, Jarlsberg I don't typically have in my fridge because I ate it all. 

I think it would be a good choice in the mac and cheese as long as the cheddar is nice and sharp. That would probably be a nice combination. (Again, provided that I don't eat it before I shred it.)

I currently have chicken breasts sitting in a mixture of hummus, yogurt, garlic and dried herbs/spices.  I'm going to roast that tonight and serve it with butternut squash and vegetables. 

• Love 2

Question for my cooking peeps:   I plan to make pork loin for dinner.   I bought a jug of apple cider recently, that has somehow gone "off".  Is it spoiled, or just turning to hard cider?  Either way, can I use it to cook my pork, or should I pour it out?

46 minutes ago, Quof said:

Question for my cooking peeps:   I plan to make pork loin for dinner.   I bought a jug of apple cider recently, that has somehow gone "off".  Is it spoiled, or just turning to hard cider?  Either way, can I use it to cook my pork, or should I pour it out?

Yes, you can cook with it.  It makes good caramel but surely would do well as a pork marinade.  Treat it like vinegar. 

• Love 1

Last night was shrimp risotto, a quinoa salad (think tabbouleh-ish with added feta and chick peas) and then a pumpkin pie for dessert. Side note: I noticed that I had run out of vanilla extract so I substituted a little maple flavoring when I was making the whipped cream. It was so good I may repeat the mistake/substitution. 

Tonight is roasted butternut squash soup, steak, regular salad, cucumber salad, asparagus and the leftover pie if there is any lol. Grilled Grouper will be substituted for the person who doesn't eat red meat. 

• Love 1

Tonight we're having Cauliflower Gratin (Jacques Pepin). I do deviate from his recipe.  I use a mixture of 2/3 cauliflower & 1/3 broccoli.  The broccoli gives it some color. The sides will be a simple green salad with a vinaigrette type dressing & a baguette from the local bakery.  Dessert will be blood orange sorbet.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I usually use maple syrup or bourbon in my whipped cream.

Yum. Now that I've learned this I don't think that I will ever go back to plain vanilla. I'll have to try the Bourbon next. Good suggestion.