Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I found some ground chicken and some homemade tomato sauce in my freezer, and Trader Joe's taco seasoning in the cupboard, so I decided "I'll make tacos, and get rid of some stuff in my kitchen."

Half an hour later, I have purchased tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream, refried beans, avocados, tomatoes....  

Seems counterproductive. 

• Love 6

I've got a chuck roast in the slow cooker with a balsamic marinade (?).  It'll be shredded and used to make sandwiches.  I'll make a horseradish cream sauce for myself to go with it.

I've never made it before, but it smells pretty darn good so I am still optimistic.

• Love 4

Ginger ale & saltines?  Uh-oh.  Hope you feel better.

Tonight's supper was homemade chicken soup (to use up old celery and carrots, rotisserie chicken, etc) and Razzleberry Pie for dessert (w/ no sugar added vanilla ice cream...can't get too carried away, right?)

• Love 2

Having company tonight so it’s a tenderloin roast done medium rare, mashed potatoes with gravy from the drippings and some beef broth, asparagus blanched, then reheated in a pat of butter and sautéed mushrooms with a hint of Port. Will also be serving a Pinot Noir named Meomi. Gosh I hope that I don’t mess this up!

A friend came over for movie night last night, and we always just order in dinner (she's a vegetarian, and has pretty boring taste - e.g. only likes those white button mushrooms, no other mushrooms - so I, quite frankly, don't bother cooking for her [we order in at her house, too; she doesn't cook much]), but I make appetizers.  Last night I made spinach balls - thawed and drained a package of frozen spinach and mixed it with grated Parmigiano-reggiano, finely chopped scallions, some whole wheat breadcrumbs I'd seasoned with oregano, granulated garlic, and onion powder, a little bit of melted butter, and two beaten eggs, then formed them into balls and rolled in a very light coating of some more cheese, and baked 15 minutes.  Right up her alley, and pretty tasty. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

it’s a tenderloin roast done medium rare, mashed potatoes with gravy from the drippings and some beef broth, asparagus blanched, then reheated in a pat of butter and sautéed mushrooms with a hint of Port. Will also be serving a Pinot Noir named Meomi. 

Come to Umami, baby! (Sounds insanely good, Mindthinkr --have fun entertaining!)

12 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I love MC chicken pot pies.

They are the best.

28 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For a good reason - my husband loved them until he looked at the calories and fat content.

La la la! I can’t hear you!

I seem to have recovered from whatever was bothering me last night and food is no longer something to avoid. Tonight is meatloaf and baked potatoes. 

• Love 1

Last night we went to the Corner Bakery because I had an intense need for their baked potato soup.  Sadly, they were out of it already.  On the plus side, we went at 6:30 PM and the place was pretty empty and quiet.  Around here, most places are both loud and packed at that time.  Every other time I've been there has been in the morning or lunch time and they are full up at both those times.

• Love 2

Today is my husband's birthday, so I stopped at the local seafood store and got jumbo lump crab cakes - made with fresh Maryland crab. I thought they were $19.99 a piece - what a nice surprise to see they were $14.99 each.

• Love 6

Tonight I’m going to my brother and sister-in-laws house for a traditional Japanese dinner. They had lived over there for a number of years and she really does a bang up job of it. Can’t wait. 

Update: The menu

homemade potstickers with a dipping sauce

homemade miso soup with seaweed 

tonkatsu with dipping sauce 

sticky rice with freshly ground black sesame seeds

cabbage, radish, cucumber salad with homemade ginger dressing 

I’d like to add that my sis-in-law is Irish. She had a lady over there (in Japan) that taught her these delicious dishes. It was outstanding and a lot of work. The table had chopsticks with blue fish holders. Dishes for the sauces. Beautiful Japanese rice bowls. Simple flower arrangements. She really went all out and I was floored at how outstanding everything was. There was wine especially paired for the meal and sake. A lovely time with family. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
To add the menu
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tonight I’m going to my brother and sister-in-laws house for a traditional Japanese dinner. They had lived over there for a number of years and she really does a bang up job of it. Can’t wait. 

Here's a virtual "like"

I love Japanese food, especially if you can master eating with chopsticks, and a good sake. 

Enjoy!

edit. just noticed I can "like" in the old fashioned way, yay!

Edited by Zola
  • Love 1

A friend who had dental surgery a few days ago os coming over so I am making cream of mushroom soup, a salad for those of us who can chew, and butterscotch pudding.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

My local grocery store had their boneless ribeyes for $6.98 lb, so I picked up several  So it's a steak for dinner with a pouch of some kind of cheesy/noodle-y mixture and the last lemon cupcake for dessert.  

• Love 6
11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Made lasagna in the crockpot for the first time yesterday. It worked beautifully! I mean, firm, perfectly cooked all the way through; I was impressed with myself. 

Please share the recipe! I’ve always been skeptical of trying it in the crockpot but I’m willing to give it a try on you recommendation.

I made roasted broccoli soup with gruyere for lunch, and chicken pot pie with biscuit topping for dinner. Plenty of leftovers from both for the week. I’ve made a pretty good dent in my freezer and pantry supplies this month. 

• Love 2

That was pretty much every week in my house. A lot of it by choice (because I like to cook) and some of it because shit happens.  I'm not going to know what to do with myself if I ever ended up in a situation where the other person does shit like feed me. Probably just say thank you a lot.

Tonight I think I'm going to hit the gym at work before I go home, which means some sort of quick dinner for the kids. I'm thinking it's an excellent night to go quesadillas. Cheese for the girl and some sort of vegetable on the side, maybe broccoli. I'll throw in some spicy sausage into the mix for the boy, and maybe I'll slice up an apple for him, since he likes that when I give him something sandwich-like.

Or maybe I could do a cup of tomato soup with the quesadillas. Sort of a take on the tomato soup and grilled cheese lunch they like.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What is this "hub's week to cook" you speak of? ;-)

22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow...and, yeah! However did ya get such a deal?!?

9 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

It does exist! I will use this as proof.......

We both work and made a deal long ago to alternate cooking week by week. To be honest, he's covered my butt more than I have his, and he's also a better cook.  (Somewhere along the line my cooking mojo took a powder. ) 

Tonight is a delicious-smelling lemony chicken soup.

• Love 4

Have a couple of guests around for dinner tonight, so might try my culinary hands with an old favourite - Spicy Hunter's Chicken. (my guests do like spicy foods)

Which is essentially char-grilled chicken breasts, smothered with un-smoked back bacon, melted cheese, diced onion, BBQ sauce or Tabasco sauce, served with a side of fajitas and chilli chips (fries).

(and a huge pitcher of water no doubt!)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Qoass said:

I used my ham bone from last week's baked ham dinners to make my annual 15 bean soup for this week.

I just had a bean soup discussion with a friend thirty minutes ago. I do believe the universe is telling me that my weekend is going to include making bean soup.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I just had a bean soup discussion with a friend thirty minutes ago. I do believe the universe is telling me that my weekend is going to include making bean soup.

Hmmmm...you've just inspired me to make Red Bean Sausage & Pasta Soup (adapted from Jersey Girl blog's recipe) this weekend when the weather is going to be, possibly, dicey (they keep calling for snow, we keep getting nervous about ice, and then--nada!)  I was going to make Ina's Italian Wedding Soup but I dearly love that bean and sausage soup.  I like to use the "rings" for pasta so that I don't end up with lots of soggy macaroni, and the soup needs seasoning so I just taste test and add.  Thanks for the good idea, JTMACC99.

• Love 2

A WW chicken stir-fry recipe that is so simple, but the marinade makes it. Other ingredients in the stir-fry are asparagus and green onions. My husband says what makes it good is putting toasted sesame seeds on the finished dish.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Sort of eggs benedict. Instead of ham, red bell pepper and red onion sauteed on an English muffin with poached eggs and a blendar hollandaise.

I've done that, replacing ham with chopped mushrooms & sage (fresh or dried) sautéed in butter & a little dry sherry.  Even the carnivores loved that version.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Qoass said:

@chessiegal, can you share the marinade recipe for that stir fry? I have a spicy one that's my go to but a more mellow one with asparagus sound really good.

2 T. low-sodium chicken broth, 1 T. minced fresh ginger (I use the stuff in the squeeze tube), 1 T. reduced sodium soy sauce, 1 T. Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp. packed brown sugar, 1 tsp. cornstarch, 1 T. Asian (dark) sesame oil.

Huh, I haven't looked at the recipe in awhile, and I see it calls for minced garlic and red pepper flakes. I think I'll add the garlic next time, not sure it needs the pepper flakes. It also calls for watercress - I've never done that and don't intend to.

• Love 5