Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, harrie said:

If you have the tomato wine recipe handy, I might give it a try. Looks like it might be a good tomato year, and if I don't manage to use/give everything away, it may come in handy.

I tripped across a recipe for something called tomato butter yesterday and thought of you good folks with an abundance of tomatoes.  I did not bookmark it, so can't find that one but if you google you'll find a number of recipes.  The one I saw turned out red and did not add a ton of butter nor sugar like some of the others that pulled up today.

7 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Will do...

Here is a link to a forum I am in. The first recipe says it produced excellent results.

Tomato wine recipe

Here is another. Very simple. I would let it sit for a few months before drinking.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/62511/tomato-wine.html

5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I tripped across a recipe for something called tomato butter yesterday and thought of you good folks with an abundance of tomatoes.  I did not bookmark it, so can't find that one but if you google you'll find a number of recipes.  The one I saw turned out red and did not add a ton of butter nor sugar like some of the others that pulled up today.

Thank you, @ethalfrida and @DeLurker!  If I get the opportunity to do one or both, I will report back.

Tonight's dinner is Moosewood's Spinach Ricotta Pie, but with a mix of spinach, chard, and kale.

• Love 1

In NY for a week.  Tonight, we ate at RedFarm on the UWS and it's so fabulous.  I had veggie/peanut dumplings and 3 chili chicken.  Mr ebk had crispy beef and a scallop/rice dish.  Best friend of ebk had pork/crab soup dumplings and shrimp in lobster sauce with brussell sprouts.  I also may have had a couple of glasses of wine.  

It's wonderful and dangerous that this place is around the corner from the hotel!!

• Love 4

ebk57, I know JTMacc mentions going to Virgils as well.  I've always preferred Hill Country.  Is there some secret menu at Virgils I should check out, because I have not enjoyed their food. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

ebk57, I know JTMacc mentions going to Virgils as well.  I've always preferred Hill Country.  Is there some secret menu at Virgils I should check out, because I have not enjoyed their food. 

Virgil's had a period of not being all that good.  We hadn't been there in several years before last night.  The thing that threw it to Virgil's was proximity to the theatre.  We were pleasantly surprised because it seems to have improved significantly.  I do love Hill Country, and I really love Dinosaur, but they're both a little out of the way.  And, we have both of those at home (we were just at Hill Country in DC last week! They do music in the basement and we saw Ray Wylie Hubbard after dinner)

Tonight's dinner, between shows, will be at NIOS at the Muse Hotel - for reasons too complicated to explain here.  Suffice to say it has to do with people I work with.

• Love 1

Making Fettuccine Aglio e Olio for dinner tonight (you are supposed to use linguine but I have fettuccine on hand. I am going to a football game this afternoon and won't get home till about 8pm. This dish comes together really quickly and taste delicious and sophisticated.

JTMacc99, was that an Impossible Vegetable Pie by any chance?  I make those sometimes when I have a bunch of fresh vegetables that need a good home -- any combination of vegetables & any kind of cheese will do.  My mom never made the "impossible pie" recipes because those didn't show up until I was an adult, but she would have loved them because they're quick & easy & versatile.

• Love 1

I have been craving Puerto Rican food and there is no real great places in the city so i am preparing a feast of shrimp and tostones, bacalao fritters, pernil, pigeon peas and rice, mofongo, and flan for dessert. I invited a lot of friends so hopefully there will be enough food!

Well, here's my day.

I was heating up some leftovers for lunch, when I dropped the dish. So I had to clean it up the pieces of the dish, along with the food that went all over the floor - under the stove, under the radiator.  It was pasta, with fresh tomatoes.  And corn.   So picture me on the floor reaching under the radiator to pick up kernels of corn one by one.   I expect I will miss some.  How long before you think it starts to smell? 

• Love 3

Corn probably won't smell and will just dry up. Especially if it is GMO corn because it has been grown to not deteriorate like that.

I kept a loaf of bread on my kitchen table for 6 months. It didn't mold or go stale. It was still soft when I tossed it.

9 minutes ago, Quof said:

when I dropped the dish. So I had to clean it up the pieces of the dish, along with the food that went all over the floor -

This morning my boyfriend was sleeping in and so I was making a scramble for myself and listening to a podcast and he quietly came into the kitchen and startled me so much I ended up throwing my egg scramble on him and dropping the pan on his foot! It was awful because it was a really good scramble with peppers and onions and the last of my salmon! 

Yeah, I was really looking forward to that pasta.   I had taken the time to remove the kernels from 4 cobs of corn yesterday, which I hate, so I had already cleaned up all of that mess.  And now it's gone. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Quof said:

Yeah, I was really looking forward to that pasta.   I had taken the time to remove the kernels from 4 cobs of corn yesterday, which I hate, so I had already cleaned up all of that mess.  And now it's gone. 

4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

This morning my boyfriend was sleeping in and so I was making a scramble for myself and listening to a podcast and he quietly came into the kitchen and startled me so much I ended up throwing my egg scramble on him and dropping the pan on his foot! It was awful because it was a really good scramble with peppers and onions and the last of my salmon! 

We need those sad face emoticons in the forum. So sorry this happened to you guys.

And I am afraid I would have to pick up my salmon and rinse it off. I wouldn't serve it to anyone but I'd eat it myself.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Linguini with clams. A split of  Moët Chandon Rose. Maybe a salad. 

@Quof and @biakbiak Sorry to hear about your kitchen disasters. 

Linguini & clams is one of my favorites.  It has become very pricey at the restaurants near me & I'm not that far from the ocean.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ariel said:

Linguini & clams is one of my favorites.  It has become very pricey at the restaurants near me & I'm not that far from the ocean.

I'm lucky that my Italian neighbor is making this for me. Bless him. He called his cousin in Italy this morning just to make sure he'd get the recipe correct. I'm sure it will be perfect. Everything he makes always is. I just find it so cute that he tries so hard. I'd be happy with a peanut butter and honey on toast! 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@biakbiak Sorry to hear about your kitchen disasters. 

My boyfriend was mad that I was more upset about the scramble then his hurt Foot! He didn't care that it was the last of my perfectly poached salmon. He has some nerve, it was all his fault! :)

• Love 3

Dinner sucked. He didn't want to listen to me when I stated that we should wash the clams off first. It was too salty and again making a rue...dang. You learn a lot about someone when you cook with them. At least I got up and did the dishes. I kept it pleasant but it wasn't the evening I had hoped for. Ah well. 

I took a random container of leftovers out of the freezer and I'm not entirely sure what's in it...

Update: veggie stir fry over pasta. Not bad for pot luck.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

Another mystery box from the freezer. Will report back later...

It's chicken and dumplings I vaguely remember making awhile ago. Believe it or not, the flavor got better in the freezer.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

@Mellowyellow - how much time do you spend meal planning and cooking every week?

Meal planning not too much time (hehe this is probably where my problems lie) but I do spend a fair bit of time cooking! 

I was actually talking to Mr Mellow about how so much of my time is spent making food. The problem is we love our food, are really picky about restaurants, don't particularly like take away food, love a good solid meal and have a kid with a huge appetite so it all centres back to me having to cook! I love cooking but it does seem to dominate my life a bit! I made a tiramisu cream cake for dessert as well tonight! tumblr_ovg6nfUtm21w82zyqo1_1280.jpg

• Love 9

I've warned you, @Mellowyellow, one of these days I'm going to show up on your doorstep for dinner! (not a stalker, promise)

I love the depth you got with the sliced almonds on the side.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Going to take leftover rice and ham from the freezer to make a broccoli and cheddar cheese casserole. 

That sounds good. I haven't made that kind of casserole in a while, thanks for reminding me.

It's been raining since before dawn, so I got some crab cakes to serve with oven fries and zucchini (no grilling today).

5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I was actually talking to Mr Mellow about how so much of my time is spent making food. The problem is we love our food, are really picky about restaurants, don't particularly like take away food, love a good solid meal and have a kid with a huge appetite so it all centres back to me having to cook!  I love cooking but it does seem to dominate my life a bit!

I hope your husband and kid take care of all the rest of the household chores; with all the time you spend cooking for them, they'd better make sure you never touch a vacuum, washing machine, etc.!

There's a hole in the wall Italian joint down the street from my friend's house, and we went there for the second time last night, fully intending to try different things than we had the first time we went (which was several months ago), but we'd so thoroughly enjoyed our previous orders that we wound up getting the exact same meal.  Guess we'll just have to go again!

Tonight I'll be making lamb chops, as I took two out of the freezer this weekend and then wound up going out every night, but I haven't planned side dish and salad yet.  Asparagus will probably be involved in one or the other, as I have a lot of it right now.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Going to take leftover rice and ham from the freezer to make a broccoli and cheddar cheese casserole. 

I have all of these things in my freezer/pantry, just taking up valuable real estate (it could be better used for salty snacks and ice cream). Would you share the recipe?

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I have all of these things in my freezer/pantry, just taking up valuable real estate (it could be better used for salty snacks and ice cream). Would you share the recipe?

I use this as jump off recipe. I usually chop up bout a cup of ham, some bell peppers, and some cayenne because I like spicy things.

• Love 3

@Bastet they are pretty good with the chores. They do the washing up and all the house cleaning!

My trouble is that I'm super picky and a lot of the "easy" dinners that they will eat, I don't want to eat myself! I am making them a creamy chicken, mushroom and kale pasta tonight which is easy to make and also freezes well. But I can't eat it so I also need make myself something that I actually want to eat. 

Going to have a nice plate of bruschetta with spicy salami and tiny gherkins methinks! 

55 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I am making them a creamy chicken, mushroom and kale pasta tonight which is easy to make and also freezes well. But I can't eat it so I also need make myself something that I actually want to eat. 

Going to have a nice plate of bruschetta with spicy salami and tiny gherkins methinks! 

Me wants both!

• Love 1

Vietnamese Beef stew aka Bo Kho! Will feed us for 2 nights and also lots leftover to freeze!

I cut up 6 pounds of meat last night and then asked MrMellow if I should use the 10L pot or the 7L pot. 

Response: When in doubt always go for the bigger pot darling. It's going to end in tears if you use the small pot.

The man is a genius and knows my habit of trying to use small pots so well! I ended up using the 10L pot and the meat and liquid have hit 7L already. Once I add the carrots and onions we'll be at the 9L line! 

• Love 4

Well, yesterday I had my last mystery box from the freezer which was baked chicken with quinoa and peas so today I'm back to the burritos I made out of leftover pulled pork and froze a couple of weeks ago. I'm proud to say I went through some recipes last night and made up a grocery list of ingredients so I'll have some fresher options next week.

• Love 3