Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's thunder storms with heavy rain south of Annapolis - how's the weather in Baltimore?

Game was delayed a perfect amount of time for us to finish a couple bottles of wine and a fabulous dinner!  And then, a walk-off grand slam!  All in all, a damn perfect birthday!!

• Love 6

Last night was chicken Parmesan (without the sauce and cheese - don't know what you would call that) and rigatoni in Alfredo sauce with french bread.  I had never made chicken like that before, but I liked how it turned out.  Put the chicken breasts into a gallon Ziploc 1 at a time, covered the Ziploc with a kitchen towel and smacked the hell out of it with the bottom of a cast iron pan.  Oddly therapeutic.

I use the 3 step breading process - coat with flour, dip in egg then dip in breadcrumbs, but I started to go with a blend of corn starch and flour.  I think it keeps the meat moister when cooking.

Tonight will be part 2 of the chicken since the pack I bought had 3 good sized chicken breasts / approx. 3 lbs total.  I only cooked about 1/2 last night and that was ample for 4 people.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Game was delayed a perfect amount of time for us to finish a couple bottles of wine and a fabulous dinner!  And then, a walk-off grand slam!  All in all, a damn perfect birthday!!

Happy belated birthday - sounds like a great night.

2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Last night was chicken Parmesan (without the sauce and cheese - don't know what you would call that) and rigatoni in Alfredo sauce with french bread.  I had never made chicken like that before, but I liked how it turned out.  Put the chicken breasts into a gallon Ziploc 1 at a time, covered the Ziploc with a kitchen towel and smacked the hell out of it with the bottom of a cast iron pan.  Oddly therapeutic.

I use the 3 step breading process - coat with flour, dip in egg then dip in breadcrumbs, but I started to go with a blend of corn starch and flour.  I think it keeps the meat moister when cooking.

Tonight will be part 2 of the chicken since the pack I bought had 3 good sized chicken breasts / approx. 3 lbs total.  I only cooked about 1/2 last night and that was ample for 4 people.

Chicken cutlet? Sounds delicious whatever you call it. 

So hot and humid, we're having salad for dinner tonight, probably with some grilled steak on top.

• Love 2

Went wine tasting in Napa and finished with an early dinner at Ad Hoc Thomas Keller's set menu family style restaurant so we had endive and arugula salad, roasted pork belly, lobster bolon else, a cheese course and chocolate caramel pudding. It was delicious and a lovely end to a great but hot day, it was lovely to get back to SF where it was 20 degrees cooler!

• Love 5

We're going for Cuban food tonight for the last gasp of the "eat all you can birthday weekend"!  I'm fairly certain I'll have the vaca frita (again!)  What could be better than shredded, crispy flank steak?!?!?

• Love 1
On 8/19/2017 at 0:47 PM, DeLurker said:

Last night was chicken Parmesan (without the sauce and cheese - don't know what you would call that) and rigatoni in Alfredo sauce with french bread.  I had never made chicken like that before, but I liked how it turned out. 

That could be called two things: chicken schnitzel, or chicken Milanese.  Serve with lemon wedges.  Or, do like Ina does and plop some vinaigrette dressed greens on top of the crispy chicken breast.  Love both!

Tonight will be Summer Spaghetti where you cut up tomatoes, onion, garlic, some green olives, parsley, basil, toss w/ red wine vinegar and olive oil and keep in fridge, then pour over hot spaghetti.  I make it early in the day and love the idea that supper is already made :>)

• Love 1

Panzanella was my alternative to use up a shit ton of basil. Maybe I'll make some tomorrow, to have for the week.   A week of scorching sun, followed by 24 hours of torrential rain, has sent the basil into overdrive. 

Sausage, onions, & peppers.  I have some Brioche hot dog type buns that I need to use asap. Hopefully the buns will work well with the flavors.  Dessert will be watermelon slices.

• Love 2

Tonight I am having something I call Chicken Slop. My Mom use to make it for me and my sister when we were kids. It is kind of like a chicken casserole. Basically you cook boneless chicken breasts and then cut the meat into cubes, put in a casserole dish stove top dressing and cream of chicken soup(no water added) and bake it. It comes out like a sloppy mess so that is why my sister and I called it Chicken Slop, but it tastes good.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, harrie said:

Surely you jest - can there be such thing as too many tomatoes???

Well, someone in my winemaking group said they had too many this year. They canned, they ate and still there were so many left. 

We have recipes for any type of wine one might need and since you have an abundance seems perfect to make some.

BTW, I envy you your homegrown vegs especially the tomatoes.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Tomatoes are among the easiest things to grow. If you have a sunny porch you can grow them in pots. Big pots, but pots. I grow 18 plants in my garden and two in pots by my garage. The cherry tomatoes go in pots so that I harvest them regularly. They get eight feet tall if I feed them all summer. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Tomatoes are among the easiest things to grow. If you have a sunny porch you can grow them in pots. Big pots, but pots. I grow 18 plants in my garden and two in pots by my garage. The cherry tomatoes go in pots so that I harvest them regularly. They get eight feet tall if I feed them all summer. 

I strongly disagree.  Every time I try to grow tomatoes, they will do extremely poorly.  I have exceptionally good luck with volunteer tomatoes (the ones that just randomly grow because a seed or two fell in some soil or a pot on the way out to the compost.  The volunteer ones will only do well if I ignore them completely.

hehe we once spent about $100 in plants, pots, tomato dust to kill the disease that was plaguing our plants, fertilizer trying to grow tomatoes. We got like 5 tomatoes! The big ones! We gave up since vine ripen tomatoes sell for $2 a pound in summer here.

Cherry tomatoes fared better though! We spent $4 on seeds, no dust or fertiizer needed and we harvested a huge and constant crop! Cherry tomatoes are like $7 a pound here on sale.

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I strongly disagree.  Every time I try to grow tomatoes, they will do extremely poorly.  I have exceptionally good luck with volunteer tomatoes (the ones that just randomly grow because a seed or two fell in some soil or a pot on the way out to the compost.  The volunteer ones will only do well if I ignore them completely.

I tried to grow cherry tomatoes once & they ended up like marbles, very hard and had to be tossed.  It's been so long since I've had a delicious tomato from a garden (the ones at the farmer's market have no taste IMO). I think they've finally bred that really wonderful sweet taste out of the plant.  So I buy Campari tomatoes in the supermarket--for some reason they still have that sweet taste. 

• Love 1

Tonight is flounder fillets, instant pot mac & cheese, store bought blood orange sorbet.  I have some fresh lima beans that I need to use soon, so they will also show up in some form for dinner.

• Love 1

I had a bunch of leftover polenta so I spread it onto a sheet pan and chilled it for a few days and then cut it into "noodles" and made a veggie lasagna with mushrooms, peppers, zucchini and goat cheese. Plus, we had a bunch of ripe bananas so I made banana pudding for dessert. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Well, someone in my winemaking group said they had too many this year. They canned, they ate and still there were so many left. 

We have recipes for any type of wine one might need and since you have an abundance seems perfect to make some.

If you have the tomato wine recipe handy, I might give it a try. Looks like it might be a good tomato year, and if I don't manage to use/give everything away, it may come in handy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Crab cakes, Red Robin seasoned steak fries, and steamed asparagus (odd side, but I have some that needs to be used.)

Asparagus is one of my favorite sides to go with crab cakes.

• Love 1

Took the kids and the old man Labrador for a walk in town today. While we were out I bought a pizza dough from one of the pizza places. Made a pizza dotted with some of the pesto I made last weekend. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, harrie said:

If you have the tomato wine recipe handy, I might give it a try. Looks like it might be a good tomato year, and if I don't manage to use/give everything away, it may come in handy.

Will do...

Here is a link to a forum I am in. The first recipe says it produced excellent results.

Tomato wine recipe

Here is another. Very simple. I would let it sit for a few months before drinking.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/62511/tomato-wine.html

Edited by ethalfrida
to add recipes
  • Love 1

I'll be having a quick ham, egg and cheese on an English muffin. I still have quite a bit of leftover asparagus in the fridge but I've used it several ways and I think I may let myself just toss it with only a smidgen of guilt.

• Love 2