Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

ohh can you please give me more details on the burgers

Here is the Recipe.

Our regular pizza place gives you a free pizza for your birthday so we redeemed my boyfriends for sausage, mushrooms and peppers.

• Love 1

Dinner tonight at Osteria Morini near Nats Park.  We had sopressata, smoked trout, and gorgonzola dolce cheese for the antipasti.  I had the pappardelle with duck ragu.  And we had a bottle (or 2) of Montepulciano di Conero 'Piancarda' | Garofoli.  

It's been a fine few days of food.  To be followed up by my birthday dinners week!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Went out to dinner tonight. Had meat. Wrong choice. Animal activists are my neighbors. Oops! 

You serious???

Oh dear how awkward! 

Did you have an ok time or was it a disaster?

Pomelo prawn salad and spring rolls tonight. 

• Love 1

I used to have him in the kitchen on his bouncer watching me work and I'd give him a basil leaf to sniff and gum after he got bored of his usual baby gumming food. 

I was buying some basil plants the other day and the guy behind me rubbed a leaf then invited the woman he was with to smell the aroma. She didn't seem to understand so I plucked a leaf and gave it to her and she got what I suspect was her first whiff of one of the most wonderful scents in the world. Or just learned that people in check out lines are weird.

I have just over a cup of pulled pork that I'd like to stretch over maybe four meals and don't want to just divvy it up onto big rolls. Do you cooks think it would make for a good burrito if I added pinto beans, cheese, brown rice and some fresh salsa? Or would the vinegary taste of the meat overpower the rest? Feedback, please.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

You serious???

Oh dear how awkward! 

Did you have an ok time or was it a disaster?

Pomelo prawn salad and spring rolls tonight. 

Very serious! They all had fish which I'm allergic to. It was also weird as they asked me out and then made the waiter split the check 3 ways (I come from the school of if I ask you out then I pay). I had dosh in my purse so no problem. I brought most of my dinner home (rigatoni with a meat ragu) as I was uncomfortable eating it.  Can't wait to eat it later as it was yummy. I almost went for a steak lol, can you imagine? The dinner topics included this woman (they made a movie about her and Claire Danes won an Emmy playing her and my neighbor has met her over 30 times) and how animals go to slaughter. Yes, wonderful slaughtering methods discussed (not). Hmmm, maybe I should have brought up gill net fishing (just kidding) anyway they're nice ppl who love animals but I wish I'd had a clue so I didn't feel so awkward. Dang and there wasn't even a salad option on the menu. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I was buying some basil plants the other day and the guy behind me rubbed a leaf then invited the woman he was with to smell the aroma. She didn't seem to understand so I plucked a leaf and gave it to her and she got what I suspect was her first whiff of one of the most wonderful scents in the world. Or just learned that people in check out lines are weird.

I have just over a cup of pulled pork that I'd like to stretch over maybe four meals and don't want to just divvy it up onto big rolls. Do you cooks think it would make for a good burrito if I added pinto beans, cheese, brown rice and some fresh salsa? Or would the vinegary taste of the meat overpower the rest? Feedback, please.

Yes I do think it would make a good burrito.  Remember that hot sauces like Tabasco, for instance, have a vinegar base so I don't think it will be overpowered. I would add a greeen pepper for some crunch and extra freshness. 

I'll put leftovers of pulled pork on top of red beans and rice along with some chopped onions, celery and peppers and hot sauce.  It lifts the dish from ho hum to divine. Getting hungry for them writing this lol. I get the Camelia brand beans from New Orleans. They are so good. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The dinner topics included this woman (they made a movie about her and Claire Danes won an Emmy playing her and my neighbor has met her over 30 times) and how animals go to slaugh

You should mention to them that Temple Grandin supports people eating meat as long as it's ethically sourced.

• Love 6

Heh heh.  I might've been tempted to order steak-medium rare.  You're a better person than I, MINDTHINKR :>)  Heck, if they weren't treating, they shouldn't have invited another person out (or, made it clear from the start that they were going out and if anyone else wanted to go along, that would be fun).  Actually, I'm kinda sensitive about lamb, baby cows, antelope, deer & elk.  Won't eat 'em.  Egads, they were discussing animal slaughter? Ya shudda brought up gill net fishing.   Enjoy the leftovers!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Heh heh.  I might've been tempted to order steak-medium rare.  You're a better person than I, MINDTHINKR :>)  Heck, if they weren't treating, they shouldn't have invited another person out (or, made it clear from the start that they were going out and if anyone else wanted to go along, that would be fun).  Actually, I'm kinda sensitive about lamb, baby cows, antelope, deer & elk.  Won't eat 'em.  Egads, they were discussing animal slaughter? Ya shudda brought up gill net fishing.   Enjoy the leftovers!

I had them for lunch. Delectable. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

Turkey with Turkey gravy, Mashed Potatoes, and Corn.

Every year at Thanksgiving I am reminded that I like turkey and tell myself I am going to eat it more throughout the year and every year I forget to do it!

Shrimp scampi and broccoli rabe.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Every year at Thanksgiving I am reminded that I like turkey and tell myself I am going to eat it more throughout the year and every year I forget to do it!

Shrimp scampi and broccoli rabe.

This is like a Turkey Loaf, not a full Turkey. I am only cooking for 1 so cooking a full Turkey unless I would have company over would be too much. Even if I wanted to have a ton of Turkey leftover sandwiches.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

This is like a Turkey Loaf, not a full Turkey. I am only cooking for 1 so cooking a full Turkey unless I would have company over would be too much. Even if I wanted to have a ton of Turkey leftover sandwiches.

In my head I just cook a breast or leg!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

Even if it was just myself I love leftover turkey a especially when there is a ton of it. So many things to do with it.

When you said turkey loaf it brought back memories in early of Clifton's Cafeteria's Vienna Loaf, a turkey croquette textured loaf made with leftover turkey wrapped in pastry like Beef Wellington served with gravy. It was one of my favorite things there and when the last Clifton's reopened under a new owner after many years, although they owned the old recipes they brought none of the old recipes back.

They are nothing like it was before. Over priced horrible crap.

I miss my Vienna Loaf. :-(

Edited by Giselle
AC keeps splitting leftover into left over.
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Even if it was just myself I love leftover turkey a especially when there is a ton of it. So many things to do with it.

When you said turkey loaf it brought back memories in early of Clifton's Cafeteria's Vienna Loaf, a turkey croquette textured loaf made with leftover turkey wrapped in pastry like Beef Wellington served with gravy. It was one of my favorite things there and when the last Clifton's reopened under a new owner after many years, although they owned the old recipes they brought none of the old recipes back.

They are nothing like it was before. Over priced horrible crap.

I miss my Vienna Loaf. :-(

I call this Turkey Loaf but it looks more like a Turkey Log. It comes in a tin full of Turkey Gravy that it is already in. You pop it in the oven and cook it for a few hours and it is done. Then you slice it. It is really simple and taste pretty damn good with corn and cranberry sauce.

Truth. I'm getting spoiled. The single Italian man next door cooked me steak and mushrooms. He wanted to make salad but it was a fail. As in it never got served (how do you screw it up that badly?) To me it's a win as I do great salads. So next time he does the grilling and I do the rabbit food (the mushrooms were burned and almost inedible) but I give him an A for effort. PS...he makes great espresso. 

• Love 7

Tonight I'm making rosemary chicken kabobs. I thread the chicken chunks right onto the branch of rosemary and the flavor infuses from the inside out, then grill them. They will be accompanied by a fresh salad with artichoke hearts and Gorgonzola. The app is mozzarella pearls individually wrapped with half a cherry tomato in a fresh basil leaf and then drizzle some aged balsamic over them. I'm considering making chocolate mousse for desert. Depends on how much time I have. It might have to wait until tomorrow. Also because I'm seeing my brother and he would have a smile the size of the Grand Canyon if I brought some to him (his wife as well. I just use those small Mason jars. His other favorite is my maple pecan tapioca and they both travel well). 

• Love 3
On 8/14/2017 at 3:37 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I might've been tempted to order steak-medium rare.

This reminds me, I was out at this little hole in the wall bar/food joint on Sunday, and at the bottom of the menu it says "All burgers served medium."  Didn't seem like that was up for discussion.

Tonight is grilled Italian style turkey sausage, both hot and sweet. I think I will serve it with corn on the cob and a green salad. 

• Love 2

Pozole. I made it before and the flavor was so authentic I was besides myself. Usually, when the recipe says it is Mexican or Asian it usually involves a packet of some seasoning. This one is from scratch and uses real chiles that have to be soaked, seeded and deveined. I cannot wait for dinner.

On Sunday, I went to buy the pork for the soup at the store I shopped at for the first recipe. There were picketers in the parking lot. I respect unions and picketers so I listened to why they were on the line. They told me about unfair wages and rat poo-poo in the chicken. I turned right around and shopped closer at another store. Living in L.A. County we have a lot of major Mexican and other cultural markets so I got what I needed. And why is it that Mexican men can say poo-poo without damaging their machismo?

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, ethalfrida said:

...  And why is it that Mexican men can say poo-poo without damaging their machismo?

Probably the same reason that they can walk Chihuahuas & similar little dogs prancing on leashes, without looking like sissies.  It's all in the attitude.

• Love 2

After a refreshing evening watching my bros grandson play ice hockey (oh yes, here in the south where you can't even breathe because the humidity is so high) I was taken out to dine. 

Artichokes In lemon sauce and followed by chilled (icy) grilled watermelon and burrata salad. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

ohh do you have them yet?

They made them earlier this year in Sydney for some reason! 

Not that I know of. In some areas they are more plentiful than others. I have to travel over 30 miles to get them. Although the little train trip is pleasant it is not always convenient. I am going to do a search right now to see availability.

In the summer, I often Can't Be Arsed (CBA) to actually cook dinner, so I do a variation of a ploughman's lunch. Bread, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, sliced ham.   

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Quof said:

In the summer, I often Can't Be Arsed (CBA) to actually cook dinner, so I do a variation of a ploughman's lunch. Bread, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, sliced ham.   

That calls for a good beer or two.

3 hours ago, Quof said:

Tonight was turkey sandwiches at my house, so a slight deviation...

Friday night means probably ** "Cod Fish & Chips" from the local fish & chips bar - not a particularly healthy option admittedly, but as a monthly treat it's richly welcoming.

** This is the current plan, but subject to late change if friends drag me out for an outrageous evening of wine, women and song, lol

My sister is coming over for the evening so Indian Takeout from a local place called Sizzling Bombay. We will just decide on a bunch of stuff and mix and match. Plus we will have quite a bit of Wine for the evening as well.

• Love 1

Going to my favorite near-the-ballpark place tonight for my pre-game birthday dinner - Sobo Cafe.  If any of you are near the Federal Hill 'hood in Baltimore, eat there.  It's wonderful, and the staff is so friendly!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Going to my favorite near-the-ballpark place tonight for my pre-game birthday dinner - Sobo Cafe.  If any of you are near the Federal Hill 'hood in Baltimore, eat there.  It's wonderful, and the staff is so friendly!

It's thunder storms with heavy rain south of Annapolis - how's the weather in Baltimore?