Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Swordfish steaks and rice with roasted pineapple & habanero sauce.  The sauce is from Costco.  I love it.

eta - orzo would work well with this too.

Edited by ariel

When I need to clear out some produce I make either soup or pizza. Last night it was pizza to get rid of onions, red and green peppers and one lonely sausage. I was a little too heavy handed with the red pepper flakes and baked it a bit too long but it was still excellent. Leftovers tonight.

I also plan to put some taco soup in the slow cooker overnight so I can bring it for lunch tomorrow. It will be my first time trying this recipe but it is becoming soup in the slow cooker season. and I have half a bag of tortilla chips that need consuming too.

@Qoass - All the other ingredients were as expected with the exception of the ranch dressing packet.  If you include this in your version, can you give me some feedback as to what it does for it and if it makes a material difference in the final product?

4 hours ago, Qoass said:

Well, I'll try but I've never had taco soup at all so I have no baseline for comparison. I'm a pretty awful cook and one of the reasons is that I choose bad recipes.

Do yu have Mexican restaurants nearby? It's called Tortilla Soup. Even El Pollo Loco has a good one. Or any fast food Mexican place.

8 hours ago, Qoass said:

When I need to clear out some produce I make either soup or pizza. Last night it was pizza to get rid of onions, red and green peppers and one lonely sausage. I was a little too heavy handed with the red pepper flakes and baked it a bit too long but it was still excellent. Leftovers tonight.

I also plan to put some taco soup in the slow cooker overnight so I can bring it for lunch tomorrow. It will be my first time trying this recipe but it is becoming soup in the slow cooker season. and I have half a bag of tortilla chips that need consuming too.

I will be interested in how you enjoyed your taco soup. I looked at the recipe you linked to and it is not like any taco soup I've had. Of course there are many different recipes for every dish in the world, but the ranch dressing doesn't sound very "taco-y."  IMHO, I don't add actual corn because the corn aspect of the taco shell is represented by either serving with crushed Fritos on top or eating with corn chips. I have a super easy recipe if you want to try a different one. And it freezes beautifully. That ranch dressing has me puzzled, so I look forward to your review.

The recipe I use for tortilla soup is from a restaurant chain, too - El Torito, in my case (minus the potatoes and carrots).  I also use its recipe for cilantro pepito caesar dressing (NOT the jarred version sold in stores; the fresh recipe used in the restaurants).  The food is pretty "meh" in general - and it's very Americanized Mexican food, despite a few recent additions to the menu - but a friend loves it and they do make great Cadillac margaritas, so I've been there many times over the years and developed a taste for those two things and started making them at home from time to time.

That taco soup recipe looks like a mess of jars and packets, and I join those who don't understand how the ranch dressing mix fits in, so I'm curious to hear how it comes out.

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Quof said:

I make BF Contessa's chicken tortilla soup.  It's nothing the linked recipe for taco soup.  That looks like a watery chili.

I use hers as a base but up the heat.

Spaghetti and meatballs, the sauce and meatballs from the freezer.

I'm having kind of an odd dinner tonight.  I did errands this morning and worked in the yard this afternoon, so I don't feel like making anything complicated.  So, I'm cooking a hamburger patty (I thawed out a bit of hamburger yesterday, but decided on something else for dinner--pizza--so it's either cook it or toss it), the leftover pizza (warmed up in the toaster oven) and some ice cream (Blue Bell 'Camo 'n Cream') for dessert.  

Leftovers!  I have a few items in the freezer and fridge which need clearing, including a pasta bake, roast chicken (freezer) and riced butternut squash (putting all three in the oven and reheating).  I also have some broccoli which I'm steaming tonight.  Eating that with some cheese and crackers. 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:00 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Ham steak, whipped potatoes, and Greek salad for supper/dinner tonight.  I thought autumn was here, then it got warm and humid again~~sigh.

For the first time in my life I bought a ham steak.  How do you cook/serve it?  I saw recipes for a glaze that looked interesting.

Tonight I made Giada's recipe for chicken piccata and it came out fantastic!  I served it with leftover home fries hubbie made for breakfast.  Yum.

10 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

For the first time in my life I bought a ham steak.  How do you cook/serve it?  I saw recipes for a glaze that looked interesting.

Tonight I made Giada's recipe for chicken piccata and it came out fantastic!  I served it with leftover home fries hubbie made for breakfast.  Yum.

This is what I do:  I cut off a lot of the fat; place it in a dish (& dig fat out of that bone section too).  Then in a small bowl I mix some Gulden's mustard and French's yellow mustard, add some dark brown sugar and ground cloves, then add some juice from canned pineapple slices.  I pour that mixture over the ham steak. I place the pineapple slices on top, sprinkle a little more ground cloves on top, & bake it at 350 degrees for half an hour.

• Love 1

I was near Trader Joes today and picked up a lemon and rosemary spatchcocked chicken thinking it could be grilled, but I see the cooking instructions call for baking in the oven, so I'll do that. Serve it with baked potato and steamed broccoli. The next 3 days are going to be crazy, so I picked up some frozen meals for the next few nights.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

This is what I do:  I cut off a lot of the fat; place it in a dish (& dig fat out of that bone section too).  Then in a small bowl I mix some Gulden's mustard and French's yellow mustard, add some dark brown sugar and ground cloves, then add some juice from canned pineapple slices.  I pour that mixture over the ham steak. I place the pineapple slices on top, sprinkle a little more ground cloves on top, & bake it at 350 degrees for half an hour.

Thanks, that sound really good!  And easy too!  I'll try it and post back.

• Love 1

Tonight - bratwurst, saluted red bell peppers and onions.  I wanted to serve them on a brioche hotdog type buns, but ciabatta style was only one that what they had at my local market.  Dessert will be Klondike bars.  They were on sale half price.

• Love 2
On 10/17/2017 at 4:17 PM, ariel said:

Tonight - bratwurst, saluted red bell peppers and onions.  I wanted to serve them on a brioche hotdog type buns, but ciabatta style was only one that what they had at my local market.  Dessert will be Klondike bars.  They were on sale half price.

That's what we're having tomorrow night--brats (w/ sauerkraut), potato salad, big tossed salad.  Got company this week (my stepdaughter & family from Minneapolis).  Tonight will be Ina's Herb-Marinated Loin of Pork, baked pilaf, and Greek Salad (creamcheese bars for dessert).

Last night was a fundraiser for one of the groups at my daughter's high school where a % of the the profits from the sales go to the group.  Since it was at a locally owned, independent pizza place we like, we went.  I had a salad with artichoke, chicken, bacon and feta cheese, my daughter ordered the chicken alfredo and my son always gets the pizza.  The salad is substantial and delicious, so I always get 2 meals out of it so I know what I am having for lunch!

• Love 2

In the last month or so, I've become really adept at baking fish en papillote (in parchment paper). I grew up eating a lot of steamed fish, but I'm currently in midst of moving and trying to find a better steamer. Instead, I've been taking salmon or trout (or any oily, steamable fish), throwing it with some vegetables (tomatoes, beans, even cabbage), a bit of oil or butter, herbs, s&p and wrapping it all up. I usually do it at 375F/350F Convection for about 12-20 mins depending on the fish and amount. It's delicious and super quick. I do need to steam fish on the stove again though since it'll be better than using all this parchment. 

• Love 3

My friend has a problem where every time she goes to a winery and she likes the wine she joins the wine club and she goes to a lot of wineries so because I am such a great friend, I let her bring over a few bottles every month and I cook dinner. Tonight it's will be goat cheese crostini with fig jam, beef bourgounuon with egg noodles, and a plum clafouti with homemade honey ice cream and a few different Pinot Noirs.

• Love 6

My boyfriend is from Ann Arbor and our friend brought us a bunch of goodies from Zingermans including a huge loaf of bread. I used the leftovers to make a delicious panzanella because we also still have a bunch of great tasting tomatoes and banana splits for dessert. 

Last night was rice vermicelli noodles with shrimp, green onions, celery, carrots, bean sprouts and boy choy.  I will happily eat my leftovers for the next several days for lunch and dinner.  I'll have to figure out something else for the kids, since they don't care for the rice noodles.  I love them so much (the noodles), that I am rather happy that don't eat them too. 

Edited by DeLurker

Tonight was leftovers from my granddaughters Sweet Sixteen. Beef with gravy, scalloped potatoes, squash casserole and some Ferro Rocher chocolates for dessert. I had salad but was full so will eat it for lunch tomorrow with an avocado and some feta. 

10 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Blackened salmon, a big slice of sourdough bread & butter, and a salad with Benihana dressing.

You can find recipes for the dressing online.

I use a Frankenrecipe of that for my salad dressing and it makes me very happy. 

I had Asian coleslaw (cabbages, carrots,, edamame & sliced almonds) with that last night.

I am slurping my way through a pot of taco soup made from one of those add water and tomato packets and it's not very tasty but it is quick and hot. I made maple cranberry walnut muffins to go with it and they are divine.

• Love 1

Was treated to dinner by my company on Wednesday night with a family style Italian meal. I scooped up some of the extra chicken parm and roasted garlic broccoli. Tonight I'll boil up some pasta, heat up the chicken in the oven (and make a soy chicken patty parm for the vegetarian) and that will be an excellent  low effort Friday evening dinner.