Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Quof said:

I've never eaten a chestnut before, always been curious.  Do they taste like anything else I might be familiar with?

They kind of taste like a buttery cashew to me. Nutty but not a strong flavor. 

We bought the kind imported from Italy. They taste much milder than the ones in NYC in my youth which were smoky.

I bought some at a Christmas Tree lighting we attended last weekend-roasted over an open fire :) they were yummy! Not like most any nut I’ve ever tasted and they were really meaty tasting. No one else in my family cared for them. 

• Love 1

You are a very good friend.

I still have my Thanksgiving turkey in the freezer. I bought it just to have at a good price but went elsewhere for dinner. I'm thinking of maybe making it on Oscar Sunday.

• Love 2

French onion soup with Le Gruyère cheese. Then very thinly sliced rib eye steaks covered in a garlic butter. 

56 minutes ago, Qoass said:

You are a very good friend.

I still have my Thanksgiving turkey in the freezer. I bought it just to have at a good price but went elsewhere for dinner. I'm thinking of maybe making it on Oscar Sunday.

I should have bought one when they were cheap. I never had leftovers or my favorite sandwich with turkey, cranberry sauce and dressing. (With mustard. Yeah, I know, not to mot people's taste). 

I want to be at your place Oscar Sunday! I'd bring champagne ? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Wow. Tablet gone wonky. Was missing a lot of letters.
  • Love 2

I bought three turkeys and smoked one for Thanksgiving. Not sure when I’ll cook the others. We usually make one on Fourth of July. 

Tonight I’m making Chicken with broccoli, bacon and cheese and a side of rice. Last nights dinner was a fail (I liked it but the kids and spouse did not)- I made simple ground beef and cauliflower with a cream sauce. I gave up long ago trying to please my family at meal time. The kids can go hungry and the spouse can make something else if he doesn’t like it. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

They taste much milder than the ones in NYC in my youth which were smoky.

I have fond memories when I was a kid getting the smoky NYC chestnuts & seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center

• Love 4

I bought three turkeys and smoked one for Thanksgiving. Not sure when I’ll cook the others. We usually make one on Fourth of July.

Is it okay to leave one in the freezer that long? I want to make mine over a holiday weekend or something so I can enjoy it over a couple of days. With just me and @Mindthinkr (in spirit) I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

• Love 1

Family dinner at a Chinese restaurant.  It's likely one of those multi-course meals of which I only eat half of what they serve (I don't eat most seafood (other than fish and scallops) nor do I eat duck or most types of soup they have (usually has some sort of crab in it)).  

48 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

Just wish I could find 20% fat ground beef...

That's what I use, and the three markets (one local, two chains) at which I shop all carry it, but they don't put nearly as much of it out as they do the leaner versions, so sometimes I have to go to another store or the butcher shop in order to get it, but usually I luck out (I don't buy it all that often).  The only thing I use ground beef for is hamburgers, and I don't want lean for that!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's what I use, and the three markets (one local, two chains) at which I shop all carry it, but they don't put nearly as much of it out as they do the leaner versions, so sometimes I have to go to another store or the butcher shop in order to get it, but usually I luck out (I don't buy it all that often).  The only thing I use ground beef for is hamburgers, and I don't want lean for that!

I agree. I want m burgers to be juicy. I saw some 20% last month but, as you say, not much was put out so I couldn't find it next time.

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Have you tried buffalo?

Yes, I have tried buffalo and it is delicious. But like with the 20% Albertson's doesn't put out much so it is easy to miss out.

• Love 1

Holiday Party day here at work. In this thread, I get to mention the good things about it. TONS of really good food. I'll usually hit the cured meats and cheese table to start... a little of everything including some olives and bread. Then who knows what will interest me. Carving stations, sushi, raw bar, little sandwiches, hot food, cold food, its a real smorgasbord. 

Heh, one doesn't get to use that word very often in the literal sense and not as a metaphor, so I seized the opportunity.

And as long as I've ventured into language instead of food, why does the word seize have the e before the i?

• Love 3

Unbridled rage and canned soup.

(Kidding. Sorta. Been that kind of day.)

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Holiday Party day here at work. In this thread, I get to mention the good things about it. TONS of really good food. I'll usually hit the cured meats and cheese table to start... a little of everything including some olives and bread. Then who knows what will interest me. Carving stations, sushi, raw bar, little sandwiches, hot food, cold food, its a real smorgasbord. 

YUM -- I love an excellent buffet - have fun!

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh, one doesn't get to use that word very often in the literal sense and not as a metaphor, so I seized the opportunity.

And as long as I've ventured into language instead of food, why does the word seize have the e before the i?

Perhaps because the rule says I before E, except after C, & the word sounds like C at the beginning (shrugs)?

• Love 1

Stress has me on a severely limited diet - although it is not the worst diet ever.  Fortunately my kids aren't stressed too, unfortunately that means they need to eat things other than Asian Cole Slaw and plain Greek yogurt with dried cherries & granola tossed in.

Last night I decided my stomach could tolerate my ultimate comfort food - KFC mashed potatoes and gravy.  So I went and bought the $20 fill up bucket (8 pieces of chicken, two large mashed potatoes, gravy, cole slaw (they subbed fries for m son) and 4 biscuits.

The potatoes & gravy were fine and the biscuit was no problem either.  When I tried a bit of chicken though, my stomach sad "I am not happy".  Phoeey.

• Love 1

Did you make them yourself?

I've never had them, but they always sounded so fancy I expected them to be something you only have out.  I'm befuddled at what all day breakfast place would make a decent Eggs Benedict.

• Love 1

Sort of: toast an English muffin, top with Canadian bacon. Plop a couple poached eggs on top. Top with Hollandaise.

My poached eggs would never win an beauty contest and the sauce comes out of a Knorr packet but oh, yum....

• Love 1

I use the packet so that I can pretend I'm not really eating three egg yolks and  a stick of butter over four sittings. Please don't mess with my fantasy world.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 4
On 12/6/2017 at 5:14 PM, ariel said:

I have fond memories when I was a kid getting the smoky NYC chestnuts & seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center

Funny--I have fond memories of the aroma of those smoky NYC chestnuts and seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center (and the fabulous dept store window displays, and the jingling bells, and snow falling, etc).  We never bought those chestnuts--maybe my parents didn't care for them??

Tonight's dinner will be salmon sauted in Asian seasonings, angel hair pasta in peanut sauce, and some kind of tossed salad.

• Love 1

Making spaghetti from tomatoes,guaranchile, perperonchini, half an onion and garlic. Serving with a bottle of La Crema (red).  Also making garlic bread. It's all packed up for me to make at my friends house while she works. 

Darn iPad doesn't recognize the guaranchile word so I couldn't get a space up there between words after the comma. Tried 3X 

4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

A typo I made! But Bibimbap is a Korean mixed rice dish with a runny egg on top. 

Tonight i am going to make a mushroom and pepper lasagna with polenta "noodles".

It reminds me of an Indonesian rice dish called Nasi Goreng. I love Korean food and will have to try that. Anything with Kim Chee is loved by me! 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It reminds me of an Indonesian rice dish called Nasi Goreng. I love Korean food and will have to try that. Anything with Kim Chee is loved by me! 

It's actual quite different from nasi goreng which I also love (I studied abroad in Indonesia in college), but quite tasty!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bibimbap is an excellent late morning meal when you had a wee bit too much to drink the night before. 

If you have it in you to make it!  Or are you talking leftovers or a restaurant? 

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bibimbap is an excellent late morning meal when you had a wee bit too much to drink the night before. 

I can see that. At one point in my life, I had achieved a master level of figuring out exactly where "a wee bit too much" was, and hitting it perfectly like an Olympic gymnast sticking the landing. Never "way too much" but somehow rarely "just the right amount" either. 

And as I was looking at the pictures in that recipe for bibimbap, I wasn't thinking it was good hangover food. And then the last picture shows "Mix it all up and enjoy!" and mmm... comfort food.

My stomach is not pleased with me at the moment after looking at that picture. Just offee and a piece of fruit for breakfast and a good 3 1/2 hours until lunch. 

22 hours ago, Qoass said:

I use the packet so that I can pretend I'm not really eating three egg yolks and  a stick of butter over four sittings. Please don't mess with my fantasy world.

I've used the packet, too, but I squeeze in some fresh lemon to brighten it up at the end. That helps the taste tremendously!

• Love 1