Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Bourbon (well, whiskey in general, but we'll stick with bourbon) makes pretty much everything better, but I do particularly love a hint of it in whipped cream.  My favorites of the nationally-available brands are Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, and Woodford Reserve. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yum. Now that I've learned this I don't think that I will ever go back to plain vanilla. I'll have to try the Bourbon next. Good suggestion. 

9 hours ago, ariel said:

What's your favorite Bourbon?

I can't imagine you could get a more perfect bourbon for this application and for drinking in general than Knob Creek Smoked Maple

If I do nothing else good today, I will feel really good about sharing this information with you, because it's fantastic and I really hope anybody who likes bourbon seeks out a bottle of this.  A friend told me about it and described it as like drinking a pancake. I bought a bottle of it for my brother for his birthday a couple months ago. I saw him yesterday pouring a glass and I asked him if that was the one I bought him. He noted that this is actually a new bottle because he finished the one I got him.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bourbon (well, whiskey in general, but we'll stick with bourbon) makes pretty much everything better, but I do particularly love a hint of it in whipped cream.  My favorites of the nationally-available brands are Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, and
Woodford Reserve. 

I like all three of those a lot! I would tack on Buffalo Trace and Angel's Envy as additional nice bottles to try. The former also has the quality of being slightly less expensive. 

• Love 4

Vegetarian chili with Morningstar griller crumbles. It's based on a WW recipe that I've altered based on a recipe by Jazzy Vegetarian (swapped out eggplant for zucchini) and some of the ingredients in Panera's turkey chili, which I love.

• Love 2

I made spaghetti sauce over the weekend and added sausage meatballs. I think sauce tastes better after it has been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days so I'm looking forward to having it over spaghetti tonight.

• Love 3

We went out for TG dinner at a nice waterfront restaurant. 4 course fixed price menu. I had cream of crab soup, a spinach and beet salad with dried cranberries and goat cheese, local rockfish (sea bass) on arugula, tomatoes, and fingerling potatoes with a nice sauce, and pumpkin cannoli with chocolate chips for dessert. My husband chose the traditional turkey dinner with pecan pie for dessert. All washed down with a bottle of Prosecco. It was delicious. Beautiful clear blue sky fall day. Perfect.

• Love 6

Scallops, shrimp, oysters (harvested 2 hours prior) done on the grill, tortellini (pesto and sun dried tomato) with caramelized onions from a pork roast braised in the onions and pecan pie. It was a feast that my neighbor had done for his visiting son, daughter in law and granddaughter that my granddaughter and I were invited to. Just too good for words. 

• Love 7

Miso soup, seaweed salad, and a huge platter of sushi. I love you Spanish mackerel and a slice of lemon. No cooking and most of it was sashimi so few carbs and I didnt cook any of it, it was a delicious respite from the last few days.

• Love 2

I made a 'cheat' sausage jambalaya for lunch (sliced beef sausage added to a Zatarain's mix instead of a scratch recipe) and will have some for dinner.  I worked hard today (more fall housecleaning and some weed-pulling in the front yard) so I'm also going to have some dessert (single serving cherry pie).  

Since we were out of the country on Thanksgiving, my husband and I had [Last name]-giving on Saturday, with a Turkey & Stuffing en Croute from Trader Joe's, and garlic sour cream mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rolls (my great grandmother's recipe) and a mini pumpkin cheesecake.

Tonight was the rest of the Turkey en Croute, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce and some cauliflower.

@EllieH, would you recommend the TJ's Turkey en Croute? I tried to buy one for the holiday and they were out but I wouldn't mind getting one for New Years. Especially if they made one with ham.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Qoass said:

@EllieH, would you recommend the TJ's Turkey en Croute? I tried to buy one for the holiday and they were out but I wouldn't mind getting one for New Years. Especially if they made one with ham.

I would be interested too! 

• Love 1

I got home late last night so I had a chunk of my "holiday season treat" brie and a handful of pumpkin seeds. I also had a piece of pumpkin pie which, strangely, was not enhanced by the pumpkin seeds. Go figure.

@Qoass and @spunkygal, it was pretty good but not something we've rushed out to buy again, if that makes sense.  It might be fun for a New Year's treat!  

I probably wouldn't bake it the whole 70 minutes (instructions say 60-70 minutes), it came out kind of crispy.

• Love 1

When the game is over, I'm going to use the last of the leftover turkey in place of chicken in a simple pasta alfredo - whole wheat fettuccine, broccoli, mushrooms, and turkey breast meat with alfredo sauce.

Last night I roasted chicken breasts and they were delicious.  I'd heard Bell & Evans chicken is really good so I decided to try them (bought them at Whole Foods).  They had skin on them (which we removed after cooking)...if I'd been more energetic I would've removed the bones but they were great as is.  Very little fat under the skin but just enough to keep them moist.  

7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Last night I roasted chicken breasts and they were delicious.  I'd heard Bell & Evans chicken is really good so I decided to try them (bought them at Whole Foods).  They had skin on them (which we removed after cooking)...if I'd been more energetic I would've removed the bones but they were great as is.  Very little fat under the skin but just enough to keep them moist.  

I think Cooks Illustrated rated Bell & Evans as the best tasting supermarket chicken. I've been impressed with the quality/taste.

Dinner was not chili mac, it was cereal. Chili mac tomorrow! 

• Love 1

Made this Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli yesterday. I found it when searching for Weight Watchers Slow Cooker recipes. I have had a lot of luck with that particular Google search finding things that are easy, healthy and don't involve a can of cream of something soup.

It calls for hot sauce. 

It needs the hot sauce. I think it's okay to make it with some and then dial it up to your own tastes once it's in the bowl. 

Also, slow cooker totally isn't necessary. You could make this in a Le Creuset dutch oven type pot and be fine.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tonight will be fresh flounder and scallops served with a green salad. Am trying to think of another side to serve with it but my mind is drawing a blank. 

That sounds great.  A side - if you do carbs hasselback potatoes.  They are easy to do & look very chefy.  Fresh green beans, blanched & then sautéed with shallots is nice too. 

• Love 1

I'm making roast turkey breast with apples and serving it with beet noodles, asparagus and carrots (probably steaming them all together).  The sides aren't exactly my husband's favourites (though he DOES like beet noodles).  

I made a stir fry with tofu and noodles and I learned that I don't hate cabbage, especially if it's doused in spicy sauce but I had trouble frying the tofu. I pressed the moisture out and coated it with corn starch but it still stuck to my pan with a vengeance.

Also, I'm happily noshing through my annual two pounds of brie. Last night I used crescent dough to make four individual bries en croute with some pear chutney and it was wonderful.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ariel said:

That sounds great.  A side - if you do carbs hasselback potatoes.  They are easy to do & look very chefy.  Fresh green beans, blanched & then sautéed with shallots is nice too. 

What are hasselback potatoes? I do have some potatoes in the pantry that need to get eaten. Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

What are hasselback potatoes? I do have some potatoes in the pantry that need to get eaten. Thank you. 

A tip to make them easier - put the potato on a wooden spoon (or similar) to cut them. The edges of the spoon will prevent you from cutting all the way through. Super easy!

• Love 2

Thanks for the info on Hasselback potatoes (which I'd never heard of), all; I hate potatoes, but sometimes I make them as part of a meal for other people.  When I do that, I just roast a variety of fingerlings and other small potatoes in pretty colors with rosemary and garlic, or make a scallop, potato, and herb puree, and now this is another simple but interesting option to serve.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ariel said:

I like the hasslebacks with just some melted butter & a little parsley or chives.  Some people load them up with all kinds of things

I'm growing chives. So pepper, butter and chives for me (I avoid salt as it burns my tongue). 

• Love 1