Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Roles: Beyond Their Stations

(edited)

Here is the thread to chat about the Downton Abbey cast members in other roles, whether past (such as Dame Maggie Smith's Oscar-winning roles in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brody and California Suite), present, like Hugh Bonneville's role in  The Monuments Men or future, like Theo James' reprising his role as Four in the Divergent sequel Insurgent, which should be out next year. While some of the parts are award-winning or award-worthy, some, not so much-like, say Iain Glen's role in Kick-Ass 2.

Edited by DollEyes

My first exposure to Brendan Coyle was North and South where he played Nicholas, I absolutely adored that character and his relationship with his daughters and the other children he eventually took in.  I also enjoyed him on Larkrise to Candleford, although his character could be a bit insufferable at times, he was sorely missed in the final season.

I find it hard to reconcile Hugh Bonneville's Lord Grantham with his clueless character in Mansfield Park or his absolutely horrible character in Daniel Deronda. I guess it really goes to show that these people are actors and pretty good ones to pull off the parts.

I still prefer the actress who plays Isobel (completely blanking on her name) from Wives and Daughters. Her character there was just so perfect and so different from the harpy she played in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Penelope Wilton (Isobel) also played Shaun's mom Barbara in Shaun of the Dead, and MP Harriett Jones in Doctor Who (not that I am writing a fanfic crossover)

Dan Stevens hilariously ruined my childhood fondness for the 1970s Tomorrow People by taking the voice role of TIMM in the new CW version after leaving Downton. (I think even he was a little ashamed, he was in most of the episodes but it's an uncredited role)

• Love 1

Edna is in the ITV docudrama about World War I: The Great War: The People's Story. She plays Dorothy Lawrence who disguised herself as a man because she wanted to be a war correspondent and she thought if she was at the front lines as a soldier she would get stories.  

Both Mr. Molesley and Mr. Spratt (The Dowager's butler) are in the BBC series "The Crimson Field."  I think it's scheduled to play in the US, but I'm not sure when or what network although it will probably be either PBS or BBCAmerica.  

Edited by Badger

I haven't actually watched it yet but I DVR'ed "Breathless" which is being shown as part of "Masterpiece Mystery" and Zoe Boyle who played Lavinia Swire is in it.  Also Catherine Steadman who will be on "Downton Abbey" this season.

Both Hugh Bonneville and Penelope Wilton were in "Iris."  Hugh played Jim Broadbent's character as a young man and Penelope Wilton was a reporter.

I just found out today that Carson(Jim Carter) was "Deja Vu" in the Zucker-Abrams-Zucker Elvis movie/WW II spoof Top Secret! with Val Kilmer! His part during the shootout scene always makes me laugh!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I just found out today that Carson(Jim Carter) was "Deja Vu" in the Zucker-Abrams-Zucker Elvis movie/WW II spoof Top Secret! with Val Kilmer! His part during the shootout scene always makes me laugh!

He really WAS funny in this movie....A great spoof flick!

I couldn't figure out where to post this.  I hope this is okay but the actor that played William in seasons 1-2 is a dead ringer for Darren #1 in the old Bewitched TV sitcom.  He could be Dick York's son.

• Love 2

I watched a movie called "My Mother's House" last week and Phoebe Nicholls was in it.  She was known as "Sarah Nicholls" then and was about 10 or so.  

Kevin Doyle is playing "Joseph of Arimathea" in "A.D." which is the sequel to "The Bible."

Recently become a David Tennant fan and in catching up with his work, I've run across the following Downton people:

Jim Carter played the surgeon who treated Tennant's character in the TV movie, Recovery.
Hugh Bonneville's BBC series, Twenty Twelve and W1A are/were both narrated by Tennant. They also costarred in Glorious 39.

Kevin Doyle was in Blackpool, playing the prospective son in law of the lead couple. 
Maggie Smith was in The Last September and rejected Tennant's character as a suitor for her niece.
Joanne Froggett played his wife in the first episode of True Love.

Jim Carter was in the Red Riding Trilogy.

Hugh Bonneville has brief but memorable cameo in the pilot eppy of DaVinci's Demons.

Lily James will star in Cinderella, also Pride , Prejudice and Zombies.

Penelope Whilton played a mean spirited shrew in Match Point.

Pretty sure Ed Sphleers starred n Eragorn.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba

Elizabeth McGovern is hosting a series on the Smithsonian channel called Million Dollar American Princesses. It's about rich American girls who married cash-strapped British royalty in the 19th and 20th centuries. Not sure how many episodes there are in total, but the first episode laying the groundwork and discussing Jennie Jerome (Winston Churchill's mother) aired this week.

• Love 2

Michelle Dockery and Jim Carter had good supporting roles in the superb miniseries Cranford.

Kevin Doyle (Molesley) played a doomed, gambling-addicted math teacher in an episode of Foyle's War.

Harriet Walter (Lady Shackleton) was not at all nice in Emma Thompson's Sense & Sensibility.

• Love 2

Elizabeth McGovern is hosting a series on the Smithsonian channel called Million Dollar American Princesses. It's about rich American girls who married cash-strapped British royalty in the 19th and 20th centuries. Not sure how many episodes there are in total, but the first episode laying the groundwork and discussing Jennie Jerome (Winston Churchill's mother) aired this week.

The episode is available on the Smithsonian channel website if anyone missed it and wants to see it (at least the Canadian channel).

• Love 1

Thanks you guys, I'm going to see if I can check this out tonight or tomorrow. For anybody who is interested in stuff like this I highly recommend The Titled Americans by Elisabeth Kehoe, In a Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess by Marian Fowler, and To Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl and Carol McD. Wallace. I especially liked In a Gilded Cage because it specifically focuses on the American women who married dukes and what a difficult transition it was for the heiresses most of the time.

It's crazy how much snobbish behavior Jennie had to put up with and on both sides of the pond too.

Thanks you guys, I'm going to see if I can check this out tonight or tomorrow. For anybody who is interested in stuff like this I highly recommend The Titled Americans by Elisabeth Kehoe, In a Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess by Marian Fowler, and To Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl and Carol McD. Wallace. I especially liked In a Gilded Cage because it specifically focuses on the American women who married dukes and what a difficult transition it was for the heiresses most of the time.

It's crazy how much snobbish behavior Jennie had to put up with and on both sides of the pond too.

Snobbish behaviour, yeah, but some from watching the Smithsonian Channel show, it sounds like some of these families are the equivalent of people like the Kardashians today.

Edited by PRgal

Huge Bonneville was in Tipping the Velvet as the kinda henpecked brother in the third(?) episode.(oh, and not Downton related, but Benedict Cumberbatch was in the first episode as the boyfriend). Lady Anstruth(?) Aka Duckface was in the second episode.

I have to say, in watching last night, whenever Simon and Cora were in scenes together, especially when they were taking about the painting and the French Revolution, all I could think of was "Percy and Margo!  Together again!"

• Love 1

Interesting factoid:  Harriet Walter is the grandniece of British horror movie icon Christopher Lee.

Also, Cara Theobold, who played Ivy, will be appearing on "Call the Midwife" this series.  

Rade Serbedzija, who plays Violet's old flame, is a quintessential "Hey, it's that guy!" with his countless "foreign heavy" roles. I'll always think of him as Boris the Blade from Snatch, and other recognizable parts include Murad from Taken 2, Gregorovich from the final Harry Potter film, Gredenko in season 6 of 24, and the bum who gets Bruce Wayne's coat in Batman Begins.

• Love 1

Sophie McShera is on Galavant as a maid.  I didn't even recognize her until she spoke...

Galavant is kind of a mess (I'm being kind) but the song she and the kitchen grunt/cook shared was frickin' adorable.  She has a surprisingly good singing voice too.  The rest of the cast could have taken notes on how to not act over the top from these two.    

• Love 1

I went to see the Imitation Game and can highly recommend it. A truly, wonderful movie. I'm going to see it again tomorrow, because I was so moved by it!

Allen Leech is in it as is Matthew Goode. So two Downton actors!

The whole cast is marvellous, especially Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightly and the young Alex Lawther.

Go and see it!

• Love 1

All this talk about Daisy's revival as an "interesting character" made me realize I had forgotten her husband's name, William Mason.  He was among my favorites as was the actor, who like Daisy seemed fresh and promising. Apparently after a part in "Anna Karinina" (which I vaguely remember) -- poof ..

Downstairs has seen a lot of young men come and go, but to me William Mason was special.  

Actor:  Thomas Howes http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2765309/

Lily James as Cinderella, in theatres March 13. Apparently, there is a controversy over her small waist. The news story I heard said 17" -- she could wear a necklace around her waist.

"Lily James is defending her "Cinderella" waistline after critics claimed it was altered to look smaller in the upcoming live-action version of the classic fairy tale.

"I have naturally a quite small waist," James told ABC's "Nightline" when asked about the speculation. "And on top of that I have a corset that was pulled me into the inch of my life ... And then the skirt is so big that the perspective and the proportions make it look smaller than it is."

• Love 1