Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17/E18: Where Are They Now? Angie J. Parts 1 and 2

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Do not speculate on any government benefits that may or may not be received by any poundticipants, their families or friends.   It is a rule across the board for the My 600 Lb. Life Forum. 

• Start Topic

Right when Angie starts to succeed in Dr. Now's program, her marriage falls apart and her life is thrown into chaos. Angie moves ahead despite dire difficulties, but when her body starts to break down, Angie fears the worst and faces it alone.

This is the regular episode thread.  It will be open after the initial US airing. 

Original air dates: Part 1 2021.04.14; part 2 2021.04.21

Angie did not disappoint.  Stoned out of her mind the entire episode.  Thinking her uterus was under her rib cage.  Shocked, shocked I tell you!!! that her husband left after she told him she was going to divorce him.  She is such a charming, lovely, little lass who has simply had such a hard life during which no one has ever cared for her.  My heart breaks. /snark 

• LOL 11
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Thinking her uterus was under her rib cage.  

Maybe all that fat shoved everything upward and her lady parts really are in the wrong places. Or maybe she's just nuts. And stupid.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I am watching addict Angie now and will comment more later but my favourite so far was constantly demanding for Dr. Now to apologize. For what?!?! Doing his job? “ I made sacrifices and Dr. Now is not giving me the help I need in time.” I....I don’t even know what to say...I can’t right now. I am not trying to be mean but is Dr.Paradise a little person? Sorry if this isn’t the correct term.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

s Dr.Paradise a little person? Sorry if this isn’t the correct term.

I am wondering that too.  I am guessing he is borderline (height) because he is very much in proportion head and body wise.

Or maybe Justin is 7 feet tall?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

but is Dr.Paradise a little person? Sorry if this isn’t the correct term.

According to the Mayo Clinic website:

Dwarfism is short stature that results from a genetic or medical condition. Dwarfism is generally defined as an adult height of 4 feet 10 inches (147 centimeters) or less. The average adult height among people with dwarfism is 4 feet (122 cm).

Based on known heights of a few patients who are 5 feet or just under, it seems he might be around the 4'10" mark, or maybe slightly above. But we don't often see him standing next to them, and never for very long, so it's hard to gauge.

In general, the disorders are divided into two broad categories:

• Disproportionate dwarfism. If body size is disproportionate, some parts of the body are small, and others are of average size or above-average size. Disorders causing disproportionate dwarfism inhibit the development of bones.
  • Proportionate dwarfism. A body is proportionately small if all parts of the body are small to the same degree and appear to be proportioned like a body of average stature. Medical conditions present at birth or appearing in early childhood limit overall growth and development.

If he does have some form of dwarfism, he's apparently in the latter category. (It also says, "Some people prefer the term 'short stature' or 'little people' rather than 'dwarf' or 'dwarfism.'")

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I don’t remember Angie J at all or what season she’s from 

This season has been a FLOP. Most if not all the 600pounders never have the WLS.  They have to resort to doing ‘Where Are They Now’ to show some success

Can’t they screen for better WLS candidates, this is extremely boring zzz zzz  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Angie did not disappoint.  Stoned out of her mind the entire episode.  Thinking her uterus was under her rib cage.  Shocked, shocked I tell you!!! that her husband left after she told him she was going to divorce him.  She is such a charming, lovely, little lass who has simply had such a hard life during which no one has ever cared for her.  My heart breaks. /snark 

I was laughing out loud @ Angie diagnosing all her ailments in the ER with DrNow. He was so patient with her . I would have snapped and said STFU ! Your diagnosis is you’re 600 pounds!!!🤬

Calling Dr. Mo , Dr. Curly , Dr. Angie 📣 

• LOL 12
  • Love 7

Ummm yea.... wouldn't we all like meds for our pains and mental issues.  Oxy and Xanax.... I'd love some of those, but I learned the hard way they're extremely addictive and lead you down the road to hell.  She was going through withdrawls at the hosp.  And she wants Dr Now to give her pain meds??  Bwaah haaa haa...

Her husband was a real catch.  And of course he stole her pills.  That's what addicts do.  She's going to need rehab before any weight loss surgery. And realize she's not getting pain pills afterwards.....

She has a loooong, uphill road ahead of her.  

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, suev3333 said:

Ummm yea.... wouldn't we all like meds for our pains and mental issues.  Oxy and Xanax.... I'd love some of those, but I learned the hard way they're extremely addictive and lead you down the road to hell.  She was going through withdrawls at the hosp.  And she wants Dr Now to give her pain meds??  Bwaah haaa haa...

Her husband was a real catch.  And of course he stole her pills.  That's what addicts do.  She's going to need rehab before any weight loss surgery. And realize she's not getting pain pills afterwards.....

She has a loooong, uphill road ahead of her.  

Her answer to everything was “I need more drugs”.  Even if she gets clean (I couldn’t stop laughing when she described herself as a “recovering addict” when she was no such thing), gets WLS, and loses weight she will still be a horrible nasty person.

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I am wondering that too.  I am guessing he is borderline (height) because he is very much in proportion head and body wise.

Or maybe Justin is 7 feet tall?

A six foot tall person has his eyes at five foot six so if the person is staring over a shorter person’s head, the shorter person is under five six. A six foot person’s shoulder’s are at five feet so if the shorter person, like Dr Paradise, doesn’t come up to the person’s shoulder, he’s less than five feet. A door knob is at three feet, and Dr Paradise is clearly taller than that. I’m guessing he’s 4’10”.

Paradise is totally in proportion so I guess he comes from short parents. A term sometimes used to a short person who is confident and successful, like Paradise, is “short king.” It’s like calling a fat lady a big, beautiful woman.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Justin stealing Angie’s drugs was a switcheroo on the Assanti brothers in which Steve stole Justin’s drugs. Besides Xanax, Angie’s other addiction is attention. She wants to always be the diva at the center of the drama. While Dr Now is making it hard to get Xanax, he’s feeding her fame whoredom.

• Love 11

Well the live chat was on fire last night! I was laughing so hard at all of the quips and comments I couldn't keep up. Angie J is simply the worst. A mean, stupid narcissist. I don't like making definitive statements ,especially about people I don't actually know, but she'll never get better. Even if by some miracle she manages to lose weight or get sober, she'll always be toxic and vile. I'm glad her daughter put her foot down. I notice even after the breakup she didn't go stay with her. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Thanks for the info @ams1001. He looked very short when he walked into the apt. He might just have a very small build.  I am an avid watcher of this show and noticed he us short but this evening the contrast seemed much greater than I remember.

i think angie is just talented at making all the objects and people in her orbit look smaller than they appear

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

angie possesses exactly zero redeeming qualities. i wonder what made her decide all of a sudden that she loves dr now? he’s NEVER going to give her any drugs, and that pleases me so. IF (and that’s a biggggg ass if) he ever performs surgery on her, she’s not leaving the hospital with anything stronger than 800 mg ibuprofen. 

justin is pure scum, though (not that angie doesn’t deserve him) - stealing her friggin heart medicine. i’m surprised she didn’t accuse him of attempted murder like she did her landlord for originally giving her an apartment without a fireplace. how in the hell did she manage to worm her way into dave’s living space? i refuse to believe angie j has any oral skills besides making food disappear down her gullet at the speed of sound. 

cannot WAIT for part 2 next week!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Thanks for the info @ams1001. He looked very short when he walked into the apt. He might just have a very small build.  I am an avid watcher of this show and noticed he us short but this evening the contrast seemed much greater than I remember.

I don't know if it's on purpose, but they don't often film him in such a way that you can really tell how tall he is. It's obvious he's well below average, but usually when we see him standing he's just holding the door open for the poundicipant to lumber through, and the camera focus is on them, while he's more to the side of the shot and often not even fully in it. When they do focus directly on him it's usually just his face while he's talking, or if they show a full-body shot during the session he's sitting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think I had mentally blocked Angie.  Did she pick her nose while she was talking to Dr. Paradise and then inspect it?  Gross. 

I can't get over her attitude, blaming everyone else for her problems.  Expecting Dr. Now to apologize to her, as though she's doing him a favor by consenting to be his patient.  🙄

• Love 5

Yes, next week is Part 2 of Angie J., WATN.    It should be a lot of snark, and no weight loss, probably a lot of gain.

For the person that said they never ate Pork Roll, it's in the refrigerated meat section at the store, very salty, and awful stuff.   Don't try it.

So Angie says a burglar took her dad's ashes?   My guess, that's where the stash was hidden, and Justin is enjoying every bit of it.   I bet dad's cremains ended up in the landfill years ago.      After lasting through every second of this episode, and seeing the previews, I really can't wait for the last part of "Angie's Journey".    Any guesses on her actual hospital diagnosis?   My guess is STI/STD, or she has something that made her lose weight, because it certainly wasn't because of her eating habit.     Dr. Now saying Angie looks like she lost weight was concerning.     I suspect she's very constipated, because of her opioid use.    So this really was a s($* show.    

Her 'suicide' ideation, and her medical woes were pathetic attempts to get drugs, from Dr. Paradise, and Dr. Now.    Too bad that psychologists can only prescribe psychotropic meds, and only in some states, and with certain limitations.   Dr. Now will not prescribe Angie the massive amount of drugs she's demanding.      

Only Angie would have the gall to rag on the man who is taking her into his home (in return for her furniture I bet), while he's moving your stuff.   I wonder how long she'll last at Dave's apartment?  (I think Dave was his name, but maybe not).  

• Love 8

I’m really hoping that wherever she called in the preview tells here there are no available beds!  Nasty Ang sleeping on a park bench surrounded by her bags is a sight I’d be happy to snark at.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

For the person that said they never ate Pork Roll, it's in the refrigerated meat section at the store, very salty, and awful stuff.   Don't try it.

lol...That was me, and I don't plan to. I've never been a huge fan of pork (though I will eat a pork chop or bacon once in a while) or sausage-type things in general. 

14 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Only Angie would have the gall to rag on the man who is taking her into his home (in return for her furniture I bet), while he's moving your stuff.   I wonder how long she'll last at Dave's apartment?  (I think Dave was his name, but maybe not).  

Dave is either super nice and super naïve, or he's getting something from her...

• Love 5
On 4/15/2021 at 11:05 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Her 'suicide' ideation, and her medical woes were pathetic attempts to get drugs, from Dr. Paradise, and Dr. Now.    Too bad that psychologists can only prescribe psychotropic meds, and only in some states, and with certain limitations.   Dr. Now will not prescribe Angie the massive amount of drugs she's demanding.      

I was cracking up when she started pulling that "anxiety attack" or "heart attack" or whatever it was, when meeting with Dr. Paradise, and the suicide threat. Obviously a play for attention and DRUGS.

Then the paramedics got there from the Fire Dept., and said her heart sounded just fine. And later on in the hospital Dr. Now (I think it was) said her vitals were good. I'm sure she was just spitting mad about those comments because hey she is IN PAIN and SICK and NEEDS DRUGGGGSSS!! 

I couldn't quite follow all the sh*t she was telling Dr. Now about her pain, and where it hurt, and omigod CANCER runs in her family and her lady parts hurt, and maybe she has an STD . . . and what the hell ever else she was making up as she went along. I think she left out hemorrhoids, acne, athlete's foot, and influenza, but given long enough she'd probably have claimed them too. 🤣

What a piece of work.

Edited by Jeeves
Fixed strange formatting
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7

We've seen Dr. Paradise standing next to some short poundticipants when he was showing them out of the office. I think he is a proportional little person, well under 4'10". And hands down the wisest person associated with the franchise, including Dr. Now.

• Love 12

Still watching but the whole “ I am so offended, I will never forget what Dr.Now said to:me about going to rehab” ...is...is she out of her fucking mind?!?!?! I also loved it when girlfriend was super supportive on the phone and then never came. Maybe she comes later but that made me laugh. Why is Dave taking her in? She will never leave Dave! “Are you going to come around and help me or do you forget what your job is?” Ungrateful asshole. He already shot her a look of contempt so I hope she ends up out on her ass.

“I am a mess” Dr.Now “Tell me something new” 💀 

“will you do the surgeries of my area” Nothing happened yet Angie! She is exhausting to watch. “You scanned the wrong spot, I am dying, I have an STI” some people just love being sick for one of three reasons: attention, mental illness or wanting drugs.  Spoilers, she wants drugs.

Ange and the garbage bags on the bench 😳Am I watching ‘Intervention’?

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, IvySpice said:

We've seen Dr. Paradise standing next to some short poundticipants when he was showing them out of the office. I think he is a proportional little person, well under 4'10". And hands down the wisest person associated with the franchise, including Dr. Now.

I Googled Dr Paradise and it auto filled Dr Paradise height so apparently others are curious. He has a website, matthewparadisephd.com, along with a Twitter feed and podcast. He’s a Stanford grad, so likely smart. He’s available for appointments, including video appointments so you can hit him up if you want to tell him your step sisters were mean, your parents divorced when you were five, food was love in your family, kids made fun of you because you weighed 500 pounds, or when you visited the zoo, elephants threw peanuts at you.

On the chat people guess the weight of poundparticipants. My guess is Dr Paradise is a trim 4’10” and weighs 99 pounds.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I'm catching up with part 1 since we walked in the door from a family vacation at 8 last night and I spent the rest of the night getting my older kiddo ready for school today. 

But I was not at all surprised. Justin, still trash. Angie, still trash and an uber entitled, horrible person. Desiree, doing a GREAT job of keeping that boundary up with her mom and mom'son/off again. 

It always amazes me that people like her exist. "It's the doctor's fault. It's my daughter's fault. Justin's fault, mom's fault, the aliens' fault." As she sits there hoisting food into the cavern that is her face. 

OF COURSE Justin robbed the place. What do you expect? He's shown he's not trustworthy in general and has zero interest in remaining clean long term on top of that. Frankly, I don't think she's that interested in it either. And if this friend that's coming from Ohio is the one from the original episode, I find her rather suspish too. 

• Love 6

I have a mad crush on Dr. Paradise.  Knowing that he graduated with honors from Stanford makes him even dreamier.  He's probably about a foot shorter than I am, but I think we could make it work.  😍

• LOL 9
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, Concerned said:

Justin stealing Angie’s drugs was a switcheroo on the Assanti brothers in which Steve stole Justin’s drugs. Besides Xanax, Angie’s other addiction is attention. She wants to always be the diva at the center of the drama. While Dr Now is making it hard to get Xanax, he’s feeding her fame whoredom.

I don’t think her husband stole her drugs. I think she took them all.  She most likely was taking them at higher than the prescribed dose and ran out of the pills more quickly than she should’ve run out of them. That’s why she didn’t want to go to the hospital because she knew they would do a tox screen.

And if they would’ve just given her drugs for her “mentality” everything would’ve been good.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 8

I am wondering why we are getting a two-parter on her.  Part 1 didn't have much 'meat' to it and could have been condensed... so it's either they are desperate for usable footage (then it's sad) or there is something so weird/unusual/funny/evil/otherwise out of the ordinary in Part 2 that it was worth splitting the follow-up because it would not shine as strongly mixed with all the other stuff as it will on its own...  I guess only six more days until we know. 🙂

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...That was me, and I don't plan to. I've never been a huge fan of pork (though I will eat a pork chop or bacon once in a while) or sausage-type things in general. 

Dave is either super nice and super naïve, or he's getting something from her...

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Oh boy. I’m from New Jersey and pork roll/Taylor ham is practically a National dish here lol. I’m not really into breakfast meat, so I don’t eat it, but my husband loves it. I don’t understand how it came into this conversation - did Angie eat it, lol?

28 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I am wondering why we are getting a two-parter on her. 

They like giving multiple shows to trainwrecks. I know the Assantis got a few. Or maybe Covid has messed up filming, and they need to stretch out the season. I'm sure the trainwrecks get higher ratings. 

Last night's chat was a blast. 

• Love 6

27 minutes ago, Smoothcoat said:

Oh boy. I’m from New Jersey and pork roll/Taylor ham is practically a National dish here lol. I’m not really into breakfast meat, so I don’t eat it, but my husband loves it. I don’t understand how it came into this conversation - did Angie eat it, lol?

In the live chat, someone mentioned the preview scene which shows her in her wheelchair in the park (apparently trying to find a shelter that will take her, so I guess Dave kicked her out), someone else responded and used the phrase "park roll" and then someone else said they read it as "pork roll" (speculating that maybe that was because they were from NJ), to which I responded "Me too!! (Confession: I've never had pork roll.)"

And that is how we got on the subject of pork roll and why I should not try it.

• LOL 5
16 hours ago, DNR said:

This season has been a FLOP. Most if not all the 600pounders never have the WLS.  They have to resort to doing ‘Where Are They Now’ to show some success

One thing I have definitely noticed from the WATN episodes is that Dr. Now used to require far more initial weight loss, routinely requiring 100 lbs in 2 months.  Now it's only 60 lbs in 2 months.  I wonder if that is because the medical world considers 50 lbs a month to be too much so he changed, or if he found that too few people were able to do 50 lbs/month and there wouldn't be a show anymore if he kept requiring it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

A note of warning, eating pork roll with the high salt content will (as my late grandmother used to say, she was so much fun) "bloat you up like a poisoned toad".        

I suspect anyone the producers get two or more hours of film on, will make the screen.    They had very restricted filming leading up to Covid, and had to stop filming, so a nothing burger like Angie makes the 4 hour WATN.   However, the 'suicide threat', miscellaneous fatal diseases, misplaced gizzard, was entertaining.    It reminded me of Joyce, and her faked heart attack.

I'm so glad that Dr. Paradise had the camera crew with him at the apartment.       Angie's flopping was world class, but didn't fool Dr. Paradise, or Dr. Now.  

If nothing else, there was a lot to snark on last night, and if the preview was accurate, next week will be fun too.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, steff13 said:

I have a mad crush on Dr. Paradise.  Knowing that he graduated with honors from Stanford makes him even dreamier.  He's probably about a foot shorter than I am, but I think we could make it work.  😍

I was a hospital candy striper when I was 15 and worked with an elderly volunteer who was a hoot.  She had teased hair, long frosted-polished nails, and was heavily perfumed.  One day, she and I were talking and I said I liked tall guys. Her reply was that it doesn't really matter once you lay them down.  😉😛😄

Edited by readheaded
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Concerned said:

I Googled Dr Paradise and it auto filled Dr Paradise height so apparently others are curious. He has a website, matthewparadisephd.com, along with a Twitter feed and podcast. He’s a Stanford grad, so likely smart. He’s available for appointments, including video appointments so you can hit him up if you want to tell him your step sisters were mean, your parents divorced when you were five, food was love in your family, kids made fun of you because you weighed 500 pounds, or when you visited the zoo, elephants threw peanuts at you.

On the chat people guess the weight of poundparticipants. My guess is Dr Paradise is a trim 4’10” and weighs 99 pounds.

I love how he describes himself on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/My600lbLife/comments/fqxixz/the_drs_are_all_tiny_on_this_show_it_makes_the/

Also, there's a disorder that Danny DeVito and Robert Reich have that gives a person short-stature:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_epiphyseal_dysplasia

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

One thing I have definitely noticed from the WATN episodes is that Dr. Now used to require far more initial weight loss, routinely requiring 100 lbs in 2 months.  Now it's only 60 lbs in 2 months.  I wonder if that is because the medical world considers 50 lbs a month to be too much so he changed, or if he found that too few people were able to do 50 lbs/month and there wouldn't be a show anymore if he kept requiring it?

I think he also varies things a bit based on his assessment of the patient. For example, his “I’m going to do a tox screen“ call on Angie. 

And in anticipation of the second part — https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-five-stages-of-grief-when-dealing-with-no-longer-being-able-to-see-the-scoop-there-it-is-geico-commercial.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

OMG, I love that commercial so much! I never can decide which character to look at because they all crack me up so much! I recorded it and sent to all of my family members that just have streaming/no commercials for their enjoyment!

i really don’t understand why TLC thought we needed two additional episodes of this twitface’s non-journey in addition to her first original fail of a story. She is just super unlikeable and frustrating.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, steff13 said:

ME too. I am all of 4'10" myself so I think we'd be fucking adorable and look like we belonged in The Wizard of Oz. I just wish he didn't shave his beard!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, GrammyPammy said:

i really don’t understand why TLC thought we needed two additional episodes of this twitface’s non-journey in addition to her first original fail of a story. She is just super unlikeable and frustrating.

As others have already said, she is good entertainment value. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

Awww.  I am sure the ad will be available online for those suffering from withdrawal.

Fun fact I learned recently:  'when it rains, it pours' is not some old sage saying, it's a Morton's salt ad tagline from the early 20th century that became a part of folklore and got a second life.   Some ads are that good.

PS  At least this season hasn't been plagued by the incredibly annoying commercials with the Care.com with the annoying kid or the dishwasher one...  haven't seen those in a while.

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

So, I actually shut this episode off 45 minutes early because I was just done with her Wednesday night. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to watch the rest now.

"Have you forgotten what your job is?" 

This woman IS a damn Cancer, and I'm disgusted I'm wasting time watching her. And we've got two more hours of this waste of time next week.

Also, is hot pink eyeshadow a thing? I saw this on Tammy of 1000lb. Sisters fame as well. 

I stalked her FB (one of many, but the most recent one updated) and she's appeared to have lost some weight in her neck and face at least. Still heavy on the filters though.

• Love 3