Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

It's been a week and a half, but I can't get over the clusterfuck of insanity that was Amber Heard's testimony. There were "tears" and details and I guess that's supposed to make it believable. That just made me believe even more that she was lying. If I hadn't seen Kyle Rittenhouse's testimony, I would have called Heard's testimony the most transparent pathetic attempt to snow a jury with crocodile tears in a very long time (but it did work for him.) I love that on the first day, she couldn't squeeze out any tears.

Knowing how image conscious, she is, I'm sure she poured over all the reviews and saw people pointing it out. So, the next day, she continues her damndest, but also brings along her visual aid tissue so she can wipe away non-existant tears and snot (while also still "wiping" with her hands for some reason.) At one point, I thought I was watching Suzanne Stone come to life (I know the movie To Die For was based on the real person Pamela Smart, but still...) She's doing her pantomine of crying and wiping and notices a photographer and stops with the tissue to her nose for a photo op - as you do when you're so traumatized retelling horrific abuse. 

One of the main things her testimony made me realize was that if I was ever in need of help from a psychologist/psychiatrist I would go to Dr. Curry over Dr. Hughes in a heartbeat. Not only did Dr. Curry seem more professional and was willing to admit that men can be abused by women, but her analysis basically foretold Amber's testimony.  I'm surprised  not to see too much of this given all the videos out there, but I wish I saw more people splicing together Dr. Curry's testimony with Amber's. The way Amber can shift from one emotion to another on a dime. I've seen it not just in her testimony. Sometimes she'll be talking to her attorney, laughing, then notices the jury or cameras and in her head it goes "Oops, victim mode reactivated" and the smile will fall instantaneously. You would think that kind of skill would make a her a better actress but her performance in most of her movies and on the stand shows that's not true. Her ultra-flowery language. She may not have plagiarized a movie, but her descriptions of falling for him were cringe. The way she would describe, even alleged attacks, with more details than necessary. 'He dragged me across a very beautiful carpet.' Is she describing abuse or writing for a literary magazine? The exaggerations were the worst. It's not just the first time he hit her.  It's not just that he was high. It's not just that he was doing cocaine. No. He had a JAR of cocaine. Something Miss "Me Do Hard Drugs...Never" didn't realize at first. He didn't just attack her with a bottle. No, it was a broken bottle. Or, what she suspects is a broken bottle but doesn't bother going to the hospital to check out because she could just walk it off and deal with it by taking sleeping pills and going on James Corden's show. And, of course, one of the only times her punching Johnny is eyewitnessed, it's a tale not only of Amber jumping to the defense of her baby sister (something Amber was spurred on to do not by all the alleged times Johnny almost killed her but by the memory of a rumored of something that happened to someone else) but, according to Amber, it was the first time she ever landed a hit on Johnny. What a coinky-dink! There was so much detail, but it all sounded so inauthentic and performative.

One of the things I can't get over as well is, say what you will about Depp's testimony, but to me, the guy on that stand didn't sound that different from the guy in those tapes and him during his deposition. The Amber on the stand sounded NOTHING like the Amber in those tapes or in her deposition. I, honestly, don't think there's an authentic bone in her body. She presents the version of herself she wants to based on what goal she's trying to achieve.

Her side hasn't rested yet, but I hope she has more to back-up some of these claims. She says Johnny grabbed her friend's wrist because he was jealous of her. Did the friend provide an affidavit of this or is one of her witnesses? She claims that Johnny kicked her and threw things at her in front of a plane full of witnesses. Are any of those people going to testify (and I mean by more than just a text?) She claims to have called the police more than once. Records of that? She claims many times she thought she was going to die and received many injuries from a man hitting her repeatedly while wearing clunky jewelry. Any medical records whatsoever? Or was she always able to just walk it off because many people would love to know her secret if she could easily heal from a broken nose with no medical intervention whatsoever. That kind of thing doesn't just heal because you slap Anica make-up over it.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, CynicalGirl said:

My point was, they announced he wouldn't be part of Pirates 6 TWO months before Amber's op-ed. And he is claiming that op-ed is what caused him to lose jobs. And yes, I think maybe DISNEY might care about hiring a drug addict. Because they're ya know, Disney.

Yes, Disney, who are behind the Marvel movies. Remind me again who starred in their biggest franchise as Iron Man? Again, Hollywood does not give a crap if you're an addict. As long as you can get yourself clean or can hide it. Hollywood loves a good redemption story. That's one of the reasons why a lot of celebrities go to rehab when they get in trouble. But there's no rehab for being a wife beater. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

It does to me. 

It isn’t to me. The people on the jury are the only ones who need to ignore that. 

I care about both. 

I do. 

I doesn’t but it does make them more likely to be enablers. 

Sure but it also makes no sense to pretend that a large number of them aren’t fanatics and/or misogynistic. Everyone is responding from their own perspective and to what they are seeing. Everyone Is going to have their own opinion and none of us can really know what happened. 

Great, you care about all that stuff. I don't. As for the UK case, I said it's irrelevant to this case and I stand by that, but of course it's the main thing Amber Heard fans can point to try and shut down debate.

Who's pretending that some of them aren't crazy? I'm pretty sure I said all actors/movies/tv, etc. have a share of those people in their fanbases. But, what I'm seeing is people painting ALL of his fans with the same brush and acting like no one can have a valid reason for believing his side. There are people who claim they see them both as abusers, but I have yet to see the same level of disdain heaped on Amber Heard stans from those same people. 

None of us can know definitively what happened, but we can look at the evidence and come to our own conclusions and act accordingly.

I’d be concerned that the jury is intimidated by the crowds and that they would feel too scared to vote against the whim of the fans.  

Why? We've got juries in this country who have sent mobsters to jail. People who are far crazier and threatening.  All the jury sees of these fans is them on their best behavior in the courtroom. 

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Yes, Disney, who are behind the Marvel movies. Remind me again who starred in their biggest franchise as Iron Man?

A man who had been sober for 5 years before he got that role. That’s not at all comparable to Depp. 

Again, Hollywood does not give a crap if you're an addict. As long as you can get yourself clean or can hide it.

But Depp didn’t get clean and he wasn’t hiding it. His career was suffering due to his own actions before the op-ed was published. 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

A man who had been sober for 5 years before he got that role. That not at all comparable to Depp. 

But Depp didn’t get clean and he wasn’t hiding it. His career was suffering due to his own actions before the op-ed was published. 

How is it not comparable? The person I was replying to made it seem like Disney would have nothing to do with an addict, period. Well, Robert Downey, Jr. shows that's not true. 

I don't know how you can pretend to know that for sure when he was still getting work and that started to dwindle AFTER this accusation. Trying to pretend her accusations had nothing to do with it is ludicrous to me. Again, Hollywood doesn't care about drug use - even Disney. Especially when we're talking about a franchise that was still making billions. Depp has never really hidden his hard partying ways and they never cared before, but suddenly - coincidentally - after these allegations, they cut ties. Yeah, sure. Just a monumental coincidence.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

How is it not comparable?

Because an addict in recovery and one who is not are not the same thing. 

The person I was replying to made it seem like Disney would have nothing to do with an addict, period. Well, Robert Downey, Jr. shows that's not true. 

That’s not how I read their post. Even if it is it still not a comparison that can be made because Disney had nothing to do with hiring Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man. That happened before Disney bought Marvel. By the time a Disney was involved RDJ was cemented in the role and had proven to be stable enough to not be a risk. It a pretty well known story that Favreau had to fight for RDJ to get the part because of his history. Even though he had been sober for a few years it was considered a risky move. 

I don't know how you can pretend to know that for sure when he was still getting work and that started to dwindle AFTER this accusation.

I’m not pretending to know anything. He lost the role in Pirates before the op-ed. The Rolling Stone interview detailing how his image a taken a hit in the year prior was before the op-ed. His reputation as an out of control addict was cemented before the op-ed. It’s impossible to pinpoint the op-ed as what impacted his career or to know what would have happened without the op-ed.

You can just as easily blame #Metoo for the damage to his career since it led to studios being less likely to take a risk with controversial celebrities. 

Trying to pretend her accusations had nothing to do with it is ludicrous to me.

Again I am not pretending that. It absolutely had something to do with it but those accusations were public before the op-ed. The case isn’t about if Amber Heard hurt his career. It’s about if the op-ed specifically was a lie and if that lie hurt his career. 

Depp has never really hidden his hard partying ways and they never cared before, but suddenly - coincidentally - after these allegations, they cut ties.

Before the allegation that the case is about. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

Again I am not pretending that. It absolutely had something to do with it but those accusations were public before the op-ed. The case isn’t about if Amber Heard hurt his career. It’s about if the op-ed specifically was a lie and if that lie hurt his career. 

I know what the jury has to look at, but that's not really what I'm arguing nor what I see what most people are arguing about here either. I'm not on the jury so I don't specifically have to care about that. For me, it's not about whether the op-ed specifically hurt his career but whether her allegations, period, hurt him and whether those accusations are lies.

4 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

The history of violence doesn't matter - and I'm not sure what your point is bringing up Amber's age.

It matters because they're documented red flags to potential domestic violence that appeared long before he met Amber.  It's important for everyone to recognize them.

• Love 24

Yelling and slamming cabinet doors are indications of abuse, but Amber admitted on the stand to hitting Depp which by that metric would also make her abusive. But that's being ignored or explained away. And yes, she was arrested for domestic violence against another partner. I was waiting to see if anyone else would bring it up, she's perjured herself under oath.

On her initial statement, Heard described not really knowing anything about Johnny Depp before meeting him on the set of 'The Rum Diary'.

However, new evidence suggests the exact opposite and confirms Depp's own statement about how they met. For Johnny, he recalls Amber as a flat out groupie of his as she constantly flattered him with references and compliments. That's what made him fall in love with her during that production. In that old interview, Amber Heard talks about how much she reveres Depp.

But the initial statement about Johnny Depp on this trial, she brushed off knowing Depp before getting the role to play his co-star. It's pretty evident that her legal team told her to say that but they yet again perjure themselves with resurfaced videos like this one. The SheKnows Youtube channel interviewed Amber Heard back in 2011 when the press junkets of 'The Rum Diary' were taking place.

... Heard gushed about getting a chance to share screen time with such an iconic actor. It's clear she had a mild obsession about him but suddenly she forgets? These two sides of Amber Heard's stories don't match with each other.

The interview is embedded in the article.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Dani said:

A man who had been sober for 5 years before he got that role. That not at all comparable to Depp.

But as you've correctly pointed out, RDJ was considered a risky prospect as far as being cast went due to his substance abuse history and legal troubles. He may have been sober for a bit before 2008, but I checked IMDB out of curiosity and most of his work before he was chosen to play Tony Stark is forgettable. Working as an actor isn't the same thing as working as a successful actor. He's a success story in that he pulled himself out of that career slump, but if he'd gone on screwing up, not even Favreau would have been able to help him.

For me, if it's true that Depp's drinking and drug use spiraled once he and Heard got together and she did nothing to get him some help or convince him to seek help, that isn't exactly not abusive. Fine, it isn't her job to make sure he gets clean, but she was his wife and presumably they loved each other once.  Is her argument that she didn't know his substance use was out of control? I haven't watched the testimony except for bits and pieces, but that doesn't seem even a little bit possible.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

One of the main things her testimony made me realize was that if I was ever in need of help from a psychologist/psychiatrist I would go to Dr. Curry over Dr. Hughes in a heartbeat. Not only did Dr. Curry seem more professional and was willing to admit that men can be abused by women, but her analysis basically foretold Amber's testimony. 

I forgot to address this.  It would depend on why you need therapy on who you'd choose.  Dr. Curry's expertise isn't domestic violence.

Dr. Hughes also said men could be abused.

Dr. Curry had a five hour dinner meeting with Depp and his team before being hired to evaluating Amber.

Dr. Curry spent 12 hours with Amber listening to her tell her story.  It wasn't some fancy analysis that made her guess how Amber would testify.  It was from seeing how she acts when sharing her experience.

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

For me, if it's true that Depp's drinking and drug use spiraled once he and Heard got together and she did nothing to get him some help or convince him to seek help, that isn't exactly not abusive.

He didn't think he had a problem.  It's hard to convince someone they have a problem if they don't feel the same way.  And get confusing messages in general about it.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yelling and slamming cabinet doors are indications of abuse, but Amber admitted on the stand to hitting Depp which by that metric would also make her abusive. But that's being ignored or explained away. And yes, she was arrested for domestic violence against another partner.

It definitely seems likely that she was also abusive. Personally, I’m not ignoring that or explaining it away it’s just not all that relevant to the case. She can be abusive and abused. She can be abusive and not guilty of slander. She can be a horrible person and still deserve to win the case. He can’t be abusive and win the case. 

3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I was waiting to see if anyone else would bring it up, she's perjured herself under oath.

Or she lied in the interview. She certainly wouldn’t be the first celebrity to do so. I wouldn’t be surprised if she lied on the stand but comparing her testimony to everything she has said in the press. 

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But as you've correctly pointed out, RDJ was considered a risky prospect as far as being cast went due to his substance abuse history and legal troubles.

That was my point. Even sober he was still considered a risk because his addiction had impacted is ability to do his job. It is clear that Depp’s addiction was impacted his ability to do his job so it stands to reason that Hollywood would consider him risky. 

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

For me, if it's true that Depp's drinking and drug use spiraled once he and Heard got together and she did nothing to get him some help or convince him to seek help, that isn't exactly not abusive. Fine, it isn't her job to make sure he gets clean, but she was his wife and presumably they loved each other once.  Is her argument that she didn't know his substance use was out of control? I haven't watched the testimony except for bits and pieces, but that doesn't seem even a little bit possible.

You can’t save an addict. They have to decide to save themselves. Amber may have tried to get him to stop or she may have fed the addition but no one can know purely from him continuing to use. 

10 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Why? We've got juries in this country who have sent mobsters to jail. People who are far crazier and threatening.  All the jury sees of these fans is them on their best behavior in the courtroom. 

First of all, the fans have to be on their best behavior in the courtroom.  That's how courtrooms operate.  And you can't say that any of the members of the jury have had zero interactions with fans outside the courtroom.  Unless this specific courthouse has a separate parking lot and entrance for jurors and the jurors are completely sequestered for break including lunch, then they are seeing the fans outside of the courtroom where anything can happen.

• Love 5

Again, Hollywood doesn't care about drug use ...

They unfortunately don't necessarily care if you abuse women (or men) either. 

Does Amber have supporters acting the way a not insignificant subset of Johnny's supporters are acting about this case? As in, treating it like it's a TV show, making it a spectacle, infantilizing her, etc? I haven't seen anything like that but I could have missed it since I'm not trying to be actively involved in this shit lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, xfuse said:

I am because I think it makes it so much harder for women who have been abused. 

She has just gotten too many facts/times wrong.

I agree that this whole thing is making it harder. I don't think I would lay that on Amber, however.

As for facts/times, people who go through traumatic experiences (or even not) do jumble around times.  And Amber's testimony isn't the only one with questionable recollection.  Johnny's has claims contradicted by his own communication and communication from others around him.

17 minutes ago, xfuse said:

He got fired from Pirates four days after AH published that story and  he got fired from Fantastic Beast.

He got paid for Beasts and there were reports he was out of Pirates 6 before the very generic op ed.  The idea that the op ed was worse for him than the Rolling Stone article he participated is not something I can agree with.

• Love 16
15 hours ago, ouinason said:

all of this Depp/Heard stuff hasn't changed my negative opinion of both of these people, but the reactions have been quite enlightening.  I don't mind people disagreeing with me about something (I'm an adult), but the way some people have behaved over it has been very disheartening.  

I learned that even his devoted fans think he is a shitty actor, because I keep seeing that she is an actress, she is acting in her statements, but nothing about him acting. He can't act enough apparently (I even saw some comments admitting exactly that: "He must be telling the truth because he is not that good of an actor").

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I don't quite understand where that notion comes from that Johnny Depp's career is in the crapper. While he's out of a tired old franchise like Pirates and another franchise that's been tainted by all kinds of issues at this point (Fantastic Beasts), it's not like he's not working.

Let's face it, he's getting too old for Jack Sparrow and no one wants to see 60year old Johnny Depp wandering about at a beach anymore even if all this hadn't happened. And his casting for Grindelwald was a mistake to begin with IMO. People hated him. And that second movie was terrible even if he hadn't been in it.

The quality of the movies he's been in has been terrible and that includes both big and small movies, so maybe he should think about his choices and whether it is absolutely necessary to be in blockbusters all the time.

This circus show is not going to make him more bankable for the next franchise that might or might not come along. His alcohol and drug issues won't be helping there either.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He got paid for Beasts and there were reports he was out of Pirates 6 before the very generic op ed.  The idea that the op ed was worse for him than the Rolling Stone article he participated is not something I can agree with.

I was curious and looked up the initial reports that he was out from before the op-ed and they mention that Depp was sued twice that year. Once by his former bodyguards over wages and a toxic work environment and by a crew member who said Depp hit him while working on a film. Depp settled the first one and the second is still pending. 

Johnny Depp leaves Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, say reports -October 2018

Johnny Depp Sued by Ex-Bodyguards Who Say They Were ‘Forced to Protect’ Actor ‘From Himself and His Vices’ - May 2018

Johnny Depp Sued for Allegedly Punching Crewmember on Movie Set - July 2018

On 5/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, cleo said:

It's ironic recently I was tossing around the idea of watching some News Radio eps but now probably not

With how Andy and Joe Rogan ended up (or were during filming. I wasn't a aware of behind the scenes stuff then), I don't know that I'll ever be able to rewatch NewsRadio which is very sad.

• Love 10
(edited)
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does Amber have supporters acting the way a not insignificant subset of Johnny's supporters are acting about this case? As in, treating it like it's a TV show, making it a spectacle, infantilizing her, etc? I haven't seen anything like that but I could have missed it since I'm not trying to be actively involved in this shit lol.

I don't think so.  Misogynists are the loudest group in this because both men AND women are misogynist.  So, a lot of women hate hate hate hate hate Amber.  

There's so much mud slinging and gaslighting going on online.  Anyone who defends Amber or sticks up for her is accusing of hating men or saying men can't be abused (????????).  Knee jerk deflection.  They have so many talking points they keep going to.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/05/why-do-so-many-people-think-amber-heard-is-lying.html?utm_campaign=thecut&utm_medium=s1&utm_source=tw

When I looked up Minamata's box office for you guys on Wednesday it said 1.7 million.  Google still says the same when you Google "Minamata box office".  But somebody went into Wikipedia and changed it to 70 million.  That's terrifying. 💀

The source that they used still says 1.7 million so you can judge for yourself:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt9179096/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

https://www.indy100.com/viral/amber-heard-johnny-depp-finger?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Main&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1652362600

‘Tone deaf’ bakery 'sends Amber Heard a severed finger cake and vodka bottle'

When I first read the tweet about this, I just read the finger part oh my god.

No matter what you think of Amber Heard, she doesn't deserve that. No one does.

• Love 20
(edited)
8 hours ago, FancyRhubarb said:

There's a real strain of co-opting the issue of domestic violence being perpetrated by woman to hide the misogyny at the root of it. Twitter is a cess pool of it.

For sure. Just look at the many men who have been accused of assaults/rapes in the double digits, and misogynists still try and discredit those women. Even if there are dozens of women. Bill Cosby is one example of this, but there are quite a few others. Why would so many women lie and have similar stories? There is no explanation for assuming they’re all vindictive liars other than misogyny.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

Amber Heard's Texts From 2014 Detail Alleged Assault by Johnny Depp: 'He's Done This Many Times'

Stephen allegedly reiterates that the man purported to be Depp has no recollection of the events that occurred. "He was appalled," Stephen writes. "When I told him he kicked you, he cried. It was disgusting. And he knows it."

"He's a little lost boy. And needs all the help he can get," Stephen allegedly continues. "He is so very sorry, as he should be."

Heard responds, "He's done this many times before. Tokyo, the island, London (remember that?!), and I always stay. Always believe he's going to get better...And then every 3 or so month [sic], I'm in the exact same position."

This is sickening

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GaT said:

Heard responds, "He's done this many times before. Tokyo, the island, London (remember that?!), and I always stay. Always believe he's going to get better...And then every 3 or so month [sic], I'm in the exact same position."

And how many repetitious cycles of the same behavior should it take before she finally realizes she's on a broken merry-go-round?😵

22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

So they really cut Amber’s screen time in Aquaman 2? Meaning that petition the Depp stand actually had an impact? Ugh.

I don't think it was the petition per se, but the producers cutting her role down to the minimum her contract will allow so she will not be doing any PR for the movie.  They don't want the Depp Stans to derail the promotion.  

• Useful 4
21 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Couldn't they have kept her role as is while still keeping her off the PR circuit?

They always had the option to keep Amber in the movie as written, but I believe they are afraid her presence will affect the box office.  And that is all that matters to Hollywood producers, getting the correct return on their investment.  The first Aquaman movie did over a billion dollars worldwide, and they expect the same results.  They are too skittish to risk it.  Which is also what Amber wrote about in that op-ed.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think it was the petition per se, but the producers cutting her role down to the minimum her contract will allow so she will not be doing any PR for the movie.  They don't want the Depp Stans to derail the promotion.  

So the loudest voices won. Again.

And this is why women don’t report.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 17
On 5/16/2022 at 3:31 AM, MsTree said:

And how many repetitious cycles of the same behavior should it take before she finally realizes she's on a broken merry-go-round?😵

DV is a cycle. There is a set pattern of loving reconciliations, tensions building, and explosions of violence. People have stayed in abusive marriages for a lifetime. 

If you've ever worked with people locked into cycles of DV, this Amber/Johnny story is actually very familiar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So the loudest voices won. Again.

And this is why women don’t report.

Yep. It’s expected from some men, but the female misogynists make me truly sad.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Yep. It’s expected from some men, but the female misogynists make me truly sad.

They believe they’re feminists. That’s the sad part. You could make pretzels how much they twist themselves to defend Depp as their “poor little meow-meow.”**

**I truly despise that phrase and whoever they use to describe and whoever on Twitter created it ought to be ashamed of themselves.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

They believe they’re feminists. That’s the sad part. You could make pretzels how much they twist themselves to defend Depp as their “poor little meow-meow.”**

**I truly despise that phrase and whoever they use to describe and whoever on Twitter created it ought to be ashamed of themselves.

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard that word. Ugh. I don’t even really understand it! 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

You could make pretzels how much they twist themselves to defend Depp as their “poor little meow-meow.”**

Eww.  I completely agree (unless they're talking about an actual cat named Depp)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

“poor little meow-meow.”**

what the ever-loving fork? Is that really a thing people actually say? What has happened to humanity? 

While I think Amber is a lying liar who lies, I do not think Depp is some poor innocent victim of her evil scheme. I think they are both terrible partners, both have abused each other at various times and both need a lot of emotional help. 

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

what the ever-loving fork? Is that really a thing people actually say? What has happened to humanity? 

While I think Amber is a lying liar who lies, I do not think Depp is some poor innocent victim of her evil scheme. I think they are both terrible partners, both have abused each other at various times and both need a lot of emotional help. 

What does that term even mean? Are they calling Johnny Depp a cute cat? 🤦‍♀️ And it sounds like a word tweens might use, not adults. 

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

What does that term even mean? Are they calling Johnny Depp a cute cat? 🤦‍♀️ And it sounds like a word tweens might use, not adults. 

They don’t just use it for Depp, it’s a term used for people, real or fictional, that they want to woobify for one reason or another. Other examples include the likes of Kylo Ren.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Since when did Henrietta Pussycat  (of Mister Roger's Neighborhood) get in the act?

Seriously, do they have any idea how bogus and infantile they sound- to say nothing of having the worst taste?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
56 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

They don’t just use it for Depp, it’s a term used for people, real or fictional, that they want to woobify for one reason or another. Other examples include the likes of Kylo Ren.

They have to be tweens! lol. Now I’m more depressed about the world’s future than ever.

35 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Since when did Henrietta Pussycat  (of Mister Roger's Neighborhood) get in the act?

Seriously, do they have any idea how bogus and infantile they sound- to say nothing of having the worst taste?

Exactly! It’s actually disturbing to me.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

DV is a cycle. There is a set pattern of loving reconciliations, tensions building, and explosions of violence. People have stayed in abusive marriages for a lifetime. 

If you've ever worked with people locked into cycles of DV, this Amber/Johnny story is actually very familiar.

Yes, my mom and aunt, both DV survivors started out on Johnny's side and due to Amber's testimony ringing so alarminly familiar to both of them switched to believing her more.  My mom has been in two abusive marriages, and the cycles were similar with both, even if the actual abuse was different.  It took her way too long to admit that that second relationship was abusive because it wasn't as physically violent as the first, but once she did it was very clear that the underlying vibe was the same.

• Love 4

They believe they’re feminists. That’s the sad part. 

It's not the conversation for this thread but this is my problem with choice feminism. Women will never behave as a monolith. Feminism can't be defined through everyone's personal ideology and opinions. Arguing over who is the most correct or the most feminist just ends up in rhetorical tangles and accusations of harm on all sides. Within reason, I think it's okay to accept fractured coalitions and rest in your personal convictions without trying to push them on others (unless, for example, they are harmful to the collective). 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2