Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: The Basement Wife

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

And sadly, we are going to be seeing a lot of it on our fave reality tv shows.  I don't know if I'm triggered by it or weirdly fascinated by seeing these people going through exactly what we all went through at this time a year ago.  It's all just bizarre.

As for the Weddingk of the Century, Pudge/Audge version?  I don't care what they wear, or how they adorn their armpit hair.  I am, however, very interested in the ceremony.  I doubt Mariah will ask Kody to officiate because he's a bigger attention ho than she is, and she can't have that.  I picture Pudge stopping mid-way down the aisle to do a down-dog in a romper two sizes too small, to the astonishment of the guests seated behind her.  After the vows, instead of throwing rice at the newlyweds Mariah will ask everyone to release bees from tiny organic cages, which will then angrily swoop back down and sting the guests.  The reception dinner will include vegan hot dogs and soy milk lattes, with dessert being a life-sized sculpture of Pudge's head created by Meri and made from Rice Krispie treats.  Musical accompaniment will be Van Lady Love, with Meri's pop-up LuLaRoe shop stationed at the exit, staffed by BlairMichael - and you cannot leave without purchasing at least two pairs of leggings and a slightly used LuLaRoeSarah cardigan.

Omgawd this is awesome. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lamadeleine said:

Is someone going to break it to Christine that she can actually have that kind of relationship with other women...ACTUAL FRIENDS who are not also your sister-wives.

But, but, but...........monogamists!  Evil!  And scary!

She flipped a switch about the kids joining a Christian church group because she didn't trust those unsavory types.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

But, but, but...........monogamists!  Evil!  And scary!

She flipped a switch about the kids joining a Christian church group because she didn't trust those unsavory types.

Christine is probably hardcore polygamist.  She's been conditioned since birth and never had any outside influences, unlike Janelle and to some extent Meri, who were out in the general workforce and were able to see that non-plygs are not as loathsome as she had been led to believe.  She should get out more, maybe even join a book club, (she already has the "liberry")

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Kid said:

She's woke???  No wonder I cannot stand her snarky tone and know it all attitude.  I usually fast forward through her scenes for the aforementioned reason.

Same, at least this episode. I hate the wedding crap on this show. 

And anyways Mariah is fake woke. She need to appear as if she cares about things (like bees) but leaves the work to everyone else. She makes a quick post about some cause, then finds a new one the next week or month. 

It doesn’t even look like she does yoga anymore. It’s unlikely she could hoist her body I to the more difficult positions now (she pleads almost obese to me). I think of all the things Mariah has made a big deal about, yoga was the thing that puzzled me the most—I learned of it studying Hinduism. Mariah has never had the state of mind to take to the practice well. She’s just too angry. 

• Love 6

What caught my eye during the Christine/Robyn conversation was the red toaster on the counter. Christine used to be deathly afraid of toasters but I guess has changed her mind. 

It also occurred to me that the conversation should have been more interesting otherwise I wouldn’t even have paid attention to the background.

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
33 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I think of all the things Mariah has made a big deal about, yoga was the thing that puzzled me the most—I learned of it studying Hinduism. Mariah has never had the state of mind to take to the practice well. She’s just too angry. 

She is the antithesis of a yogi.  An instructor should be inwardly content and contemplative and free from over sentimentality. Plus adaptable, at ease, open, and able to surrender to the present moment without feeling the need to act or change anything.  Absolutely none of these attributes applies to Princess Snowflake.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Shelbie said:

What caught my eye during the Christine/Robyn conversation was the red toaster on the counter. Christine used to be deathly afraid of toasters but I guess has changed her mind. 

It also occurred to me that the conversation should have been more interesting otherwise I wouldn’t even have paid attention to the background.

I barely follow their conversations - because they're boring and non-sensical (e.g., Christine says, "It's no personal.  It's about identity.")  I counted coffee makers on the counter: She had a Keurig, an espresso maker and a kettle.  I didn't spotted the automatic drip or French press yet.  I also noted how many poinsettias in the background.

The premise of Robyn's visit and conversation was so fake: Robyn was so concerned about Christine's feelings a few weeks earlier that she confronted Christine, unannounced, one random midmorning.  Robyn seemed to have no idea how the Browns lived in Lehi, even though she joined the fambly and lived nearby and, soon after, they all moved to their own homes again and again.  More importantly, she harps on and enforces "the family culture" every single episode.  

Christine talked about how uncomfortable she is at other wives' homes, because she doesn't know who she is there.  Robyn rationalized that the discomfort is due to their shared roles - as if Christine is also raising Robyn's children or Robyn does anything beyond being Kody's goon.  

Edited by Grifter Lives
  • Love 12
39 minutes ago, Grifter Lives said:

The premise of Robyn's visit and conversation was so fake: Robyn was so concerned about Christine's feelings a few weeks earlier that she confronted Christine, unannounced, one random midmorning. 

And Robyn expected to be served breakfast during her unannounced visit since she hadn't eaten breakfast before leaving her mansion.

Are they no longer Mormons?  How many coffeemakers do non-drinkers of caffeine need? Or does the AUB-KootieKult branch allow coffee but not pork?

Perhaps Christine is undergoing exposure therapy so that she can learn to tolerate the presence of toasters.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 12

Remember in the beginning we would get scenes of the entire Brown family together for their religious service? Haven't seen a scene like that in years, at least since the move to Flagstaff. Viewers were led to believe this is an important part of their lifestyle; at a minimum a reason to bring them together, a bonding event to solidify the family. Good job Kody. We are in agreement that you are the main reason for the most of the tension. Building something is easier than managing it, and obviously maintaining this lifestyle is above your paygrade.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Remember in the beginning we would get scenes of the entire Brown family together for their religious service? Haven't seen a scene like that in years, at least since the move to Flagstaff. Viewers were led to believe this is an important part of their lifestyle; at a minimum a reason to bring them together, a bonding event to solidify the family. Good job Kody. We are in agreement that you are the main reason for the most of the tension. Building something is easier than managing it, and obviously maintaining this lifestyle is above your paygrade.

I wondered if that makeshift altar with drop cloths over boxes served to met the criteria of a church.  If it was enough to justify being a place of worship, they may have gained tax status in that respect.  If there is an angle, the Browns will find and exploit it.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I wondered if that makeshift altar with drop cloths over boxes served to met the criteria of a church.  If it was enough to justify being a place of worship, they may have gained tax status in that respect.  If there is an angle, the Browns will find and exploit it.

I highly doubt it.  There quite a few hurdles to get tax exempt status as a church.

• Love 2

I have totally lost track of the time line.   They just took a trip to see the Dargers in Utah and were claiming they felt unsafe because they could be arrested for polygamy, but they just went venue shopping up in Utah without a care in the world in that regard.   So did the decriminalization take place between the 2 trips?

On 3/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, Sandy W said:

I was a bit confused.  Didn't the manager of the facility they all liked say that Utah is closed for business on Sunday, then that was glossed over and it appeared that Sunday the 29th would be OK. ???

I thought she said they/the business was closed on Sunday.  Then someone mentioned the olden days in Utah when blue laws were in effect or businesses just closed because of tradition.   I would bet most businesses are open on Sunday in Utah now just like they are almost everywhere else.   The business will get publicity if it is shown on the show so she decided to open on that particular Sunday to be on tv.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, Art Of Noiz said:

Its interesting that Janelle's kids had their needs met 1st. 

I wonder at this. I've 8 wondered if Janelle's income was always a  veiled threat. Its not really UNspoken. For some reason, Janelle still presents as the "logical" one. Or as coming from a "financial" perspective. I think she might have used this as her subtle power base. 

This bugged me.  I could see her treating Janelle's kids equally with her own, but I wouldn't think she would purposefully put hers last.  I guess maybe because my idea of polygamy is that all the moms are supposed to co-parent all the children, but this seems to be a misconception on my part.   The only analogy I can see is a person operating a day care center would put the needs the children whose parents are paying her above her own kids, but then Janelle wasn't paying her.  I can see her helping Janelle's kids with school work before she helped her own.

I guess part of the reason Janelle is for the group house and still supports polygamy is that, until TLC came along, she contributed significantly to the family financially with her outside job, using her inheritance to buy the Lehi property  (I think that is where it went) and all or part of her retirement fund for something else that benefited the entire family.   Janelle has a right to resent that, and I would like to see her explode over that.  I don't think Janelle is a brilliant financial whiz, but I do think she is the one who most clearly sees the financial disaster ahead.  That being said,  I would think she would be doing a better job of hustling her Strive with Janelle  schtick.   I sometimes think they are gaslighting us about the financial predicament they are in, but in that case they probably wouldn't be in arrears on parts of Prairie Dog Flats or taking out money from Robin's credit card     house.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, deirdra said:

Are they no longer Mormons?  How many coffeemakers do non-drinkers of caffeine need? Or does the AUB-KootieKult branch allow coffee but not pork?

No wonder they're all miserable.  

They need some bacon in their lives.  🐷🐖🐽

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 3/9/2021 at 8:28 AM, chuckity said:

RE:  Showergate

I went back last night and watched the first couple of shows from Season 1.  

Kody and Christine stand in her unit and Kody talks about how sometimes he showers at Christine's and gets dressed at Meri's while Christine nods approvingly.  Or showers at Meri's and gets dressed at Christine's.  (Because he has clothes in all 3 units.)  

So there's that.

Also, Kody calls Meri a "blessing", the very first time Sobyn sits on the interview couch she dry cries and Janelle is gone working from 615am to 7pm and has Logan and Christine basically raise her children.  

If you have the opportunity and a strong stomach, going back to watch the first season is a treat.

Quoting myself because I feel like I'm taking one for the team by watching the old episodes.

Re:  Housegate

In Season 1, Episode 4 (Robyn's wedding - Robyn also lives in a single family home near the Brown's home and the origin of "Basement Wife") .... Christine says she can't wait for the day they're all in one big house living altogether.  

Also, Kody asked the OB/GYN how much in vitro was (alluding to Meri) while standing right next to Christine has she was in active labor in the hospital with Truely.  Talk about not reading the room.

After watching several of the first episodes I really believe that Meri brought up marrying Robyn hoping that Kody would say no.  She threw that out there not realizing that Kody would take the bait - or hoping he wouldn't.  

And finally, while on the interview couch Christine brought up that she felt it was entirely unfair that Robyn had been put into rotation and had equal wife rights without being a wife.  Meri & Janelle actually agreed.   Robyn said they didn't realize how hard it was to be building a relationship from scratch.  

On a positive note, Robyn was actually thin and pretty before she started turning into HR Pufnstuf's Witchy Poo.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 3/9/2021 at 7:28 AM, chuckity said:

I went back last night and watched the first couple of shows from Season 1.  

Where did you watch Season 1? I tried last night to find out DISH ripped me off, lol. Only two shows, reunion and a special - no episodes. All the other seasons, but not S1.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, smarty2020 said:

Do you wonder if maybe Christine was lax on discipline so it put Meri in the position of having to be the mean mom?  Based on the Christmas tree jumping we've seen allowed at Christine's house I sense she might have been more laid back.  

speaking of Christmas,  I think this is where Christine praises Robyn for pushing back with Kody about celebrating Christmas.  He says he didn't care for the commercialization, but all I could think was he didn't want to have to spend the money it would take to have presents for 4 wives and the 16 children they had produced.  

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Where did you watch Season 1? I tried last night to find out DISH ripped me off, lol. Only two shows, reunion and a special - no episodes. All the other seasons, but not S1.

Did you try the TLC GO app?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Twopper said:

I would bet most businesses are open on Sunday in Utah now just like they are almost everywhere else.   The business will get publicity if it is shown on the show so she decided to open on that particular Sunday to be on tv.

Especially after a year of COVID lockdowns and lost income, most will open whenever someone wants/needs them.  Though perhaps just showing the venue was enough free advertising without having to dill with the Brown Clowns through all the wedding planning and the full day event.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Comcast/Xfinity.  

I just can't quit cable.  Sigh. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, chuckity said:

I just can't quit cable.  Sigh. 

Yeah, me either. Dish here, and it costs more than it really is worth but living alone...it is a voice in the void. But I am not paying for other streaming channels... no way! All the "+" channels can jump off a pier, no loss to me... 

• Love 6
Just now, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, me either. Dish here, and it costs more than it really is worth but living alone...it is a voice in the void. But I am not paying for other streaming channels... no way! All the "+" channels can jump off a pier, no loss to me... 

I get you.  I won't pay the bastards to watch their streaming options either - and Real World Homecoming New York only being streaming has pissed me off to no end.   That ain't right.  

At least HBO was like, "You subscribe?  You get HBO Max for free!"  

lmao.  I have lots of issues. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

Did you try the TLC GO app?

Does the app work on the computer or just phone? Not a fan of viewing on the really small screen, can tolerate the medium screen.

Can't keep up with the growing number of streaming options and to lazy to do the research and math on cutting the satellite cord and going all roku/hulu/amazon prime/apple tv/youtube tv/peacock/disney/hbo max/netflix/sling/cbs all access/etc. I'm on my last nerve getting nickel and dimed with my health insurance after paying a fortune for the premiums. The thought of this torture going on with frickin' tv is too much for my brain to handle. I chose to lower my expectations, keep the cord, and go retro and read books.

So strange DISH wouldn't offer S1 with On Demand, yet have everything else. I thought about calling, but doubt they would have an informative answer or give me an answer that sounds like Meri and Kody speak.🤪

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

This bugged me.  I could see her treating Janelle's kids equally with her own, but I wouldn't think she would purposefully put hers last.  I guess maybe because my idea of polygamy is that all the moms are supposed to co-parent all the children, but this seems to be a misconception on my part.   The only analogy I can see is a person operating a day care center would put the needs the children whose parents are paying her above her own kids, but then Janelle wasn't paying her.  I can see her helping Janelle's kids with school work before she helped her own.

I guess part of the reason Janelle is for the group house and still supports polygamy is that, until TLC came along, she contributed significantly to the family financially with her outside job, using her inheritance to buy the Lehi property  (I think that is where it went) and all or part of her retirement fund for something else that benefited the entire family.   Janelle has a right to resent that, and I would like to see her explode over that.  I don't think Janelle is a brilliant financial whiz, but I do think she is the one who most clearly sees the financial disaster ahead.  That being said,  I would think she would be doing a better job of hustling her Strive with Janelle  schtick.   I sometimes think they are gaslighting us about the financial predicament they are in, but in that case they probably wouldn't be in arrears on parts of Prairie Dog Flats or taking out money from Robin's credit card     house.

What stood out for me when Christine was voicing her "basement wife" theory is that Meri chimed in talking about how she doesn't like "queen bee" and that yes, basement wife is a polygamy term.  However...even with Christine mentioning how she put Janelle's kids over her own back then and how overwhelmed she was...Janelle was oddly silent.  There was one talking head where Janelle only responded to the term "basement wife" and could only take it literally.  Living in the basement vs being at the bottom of a pecking order.  Yet nadda on the subject of Christine caring for all the kids.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Does the app work on the computer or just phone? Not a fan of viewing on the really small screen, can tolerate the medium screen.

Can't keep up with the growing number of streaming options and to lazy to do the research and math on cutting the satellite cord and going all roku/hulu/amazon prime/apple tv/youtube tv/peacock/disney/hbo max/netflix/sling/cbs all access/etc. I'm on my last nerve getting nickel and dimed with my health insurance after paying a fortune for the premiums. The thought of this torture going on with frickin' tv is too much for my brain to handle. I chose to lower my expectations, keep the cord, and go retro and read books.

So strange DISH wouldn't offer S1 with On Demand, yet have everything else. I thought about calling, but doubt they would have an informative answer or give me and answer that sounds like Meri and Kody speak.🤪

I watch it on my iPad...it does ask you which cable provider you have.  I don’t have DISH network but my cable provider shows season 1 on the app....I downloaded TLC GO APP from the App Store free. I’m not sure if the choices are different depending on your provider once you sign in but Dish is listed as one of the choices.  It’s listed on their regular TLC website but you have to change where it says season 15 to Season 1 once you get to the Sisters Wives page https://www.tlc.com/

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 1

Thanks Panda!!! I'll give it a try. The S1 Special I watched last night was very interesting. They had energy, were hopeful and positive. They looked fresh. I was taken by Janelle's face-she was very pretty. Unfortunate she couldn't get a handle on that pesky weight and she'd be a stunner. Robin also was very attractive.

Christine was full on plyg cheerleader and Meri didn't make me want to put bag over her head. The years and Kody Chaos have taken their toll on the wives. Kody was the same bot he always was. His once love tank is now filled with anger, frustration and defeat. They showed a clip of Meri and Kody on the beach in Mexico or Hawaii and it looked like to me they were enjoying an umbrella drink, sans umbrella. 

Link worked Panda!! Thank You. Excited to watch!!

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

Thanks Panda!!! I'll give it a try. The S1 Special I watched last night was very interesting. They had energy, were hopeful and positive. They looked fresh. I was taken by Janelle's face-she was very pretty. Unfortunate she couldn't get a handle on that pesky weight and she'd be a stunner. Robin also was very attractive.

Christine was full on plyg cheerleader and Meri didn't make me want to put bag over her head. The years and Kody Chaos have taken their toll on the wives. Kody was the same bot he always was. His once love tank is now filled with anger, frustration and defeat. They showed a clip of Meri and Kody on the beach in Mexico or Hawaii and it looked like to me they were enjoying an umbrella drink, sans umbrella. 

Link worked Panda!! Thank You. Excite to watch!!

Glad it worked 😊 Meri and Robyn were skinny during the first season and none of them seemed nearly as miserable, hid it better, or were just happy about the TLC money.  I realize Mariah has annoyed me from the very beginning.  I hate when they debate about the wedding finances when TLC usually covers most of it.  It was nice reliving Christine’s fear of toasters as we have Janelle jamming sweet potato in toasters lol.

It was also nice contrasting season 1 Christine with the Basement episode Christine.  I think Christine finally realized or at least expressed that all of her basement dwelling with the kids gained her no favor with most of the family.  I think Janelle’s probably the only one that saw the value and honestly it’s because Janelle clearly didn’t want to be a SAHM.  Sometimes I think maybe Christine treated Janelle’s kids “better” because she realized a lot of her financial survival depended on Janelle because Kody wasn’t going to step up totally.  As much as Robyn annoys me, I’m kind of glad that she just steamrolled over Kody for her kids.  I don’t think it was equitable, but she’s about the only one that really just demanded shit and got it.  I don’t really count Mariah because it’s easier to get one kid things when you have the same amount of money as somebody with 5 or 6 kids.  I honestly don’t know how Christine controls her rage when she talks to Kody.  It was like this episode, you could see some sort of realization on her part that Kody just does not give a fuck.  I don’t think I dislike these people as much as many others do, but every time I see Truely, I want to drag Kody around by his straw curls. If I throw in Ysabel’s scoliosis, I get even more disgusted.  I’d be on fire if my kids were going through that and we were worried about million dollar “rennals”.   Christine is not innocent in this, but Kody is such an awful husband and leader. He just makes one bad decision after another.  I hope Christine and Janelle leave whenever the TLC money runs out.  The only reason I’d want Meri to stick around would be to annoy Kody by awkwardly flirting while wearing a toddler-sized vest.   I’d also really want to see what Robyn will do once the gravy train ends.  I hate how she plays the go between in this episode, but even if she wasn’t trying to insert herself into everything, none of these fools can complete a thought without their walls coming up and storming off.  

• Love 20

Glad it worked 😊 Meri and Robyn were skinny during the first season and none of them seemed nearly as miserable, hid it better, or were just happy about the TLC money.  I realize Mariah has annoyed me from the very beginning.  I hate when they debate about the wedding finances when TLC usually covers most of it.  It was nice reliving Christine’s fear of toasters as we have Janelle jamming sweet potato in toasters lol.

They may have put on a better show during season 1. OR, TLC told them to ramp up the drama to avoid getting cancelled. The Bravo network is famous for telling the reality show "participants" that if there isn't enough drama, they'll be fired. I wouldn't be surprised if TLC doesn't do the same. Sad as it is, nobody really wants to watch your happy family do laundry. They want to watch someone go after their fiance with a machete (Teen Mom reference). 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

It's either the end of Season 1 or the beginning of Season 2, there is quite a long scene of Meri, Janelle & Christine sitting around on a picnic with the kids (while Robyn & Kody were on their ELEVEN day honeymoon, of which the length irritated the heck out of the moms and they weren't shy about saying it) talking.

All three - especially Meri - were quite communicative and open about their lives and feelings.  It is a shocking contrast to the more current seasons where Meri doesn't feel safe (insert eye roll) talking.

Kody is a dolt but it's obvious that TLC and the very minor fame that came with it, destroyed the Browns.  That's not to say that I think they were over the moon thrilled with sharing their moronic husband, but it seems that there were genuine warm feelings between all of them.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Meri and Robyn were skinny during the first season

I beg to differ.  The best any of this crew has done during the course of the show is normal weight.  Skinny is really thin and I've never seen one of the four manage that.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I beg to differ.  The best any of this crew has done during the course of the show is normal weight.  Skinny is really thin and I've never seen one of the four manage that.  

Well, I was comparing them to how they look today.  English is not my first language so sometimes I use words interchangeably that maybe shouldn’t be.  Basically I guess I mean they didn’t look like a can of busted biscuits especially Meri.  Robyn has gained weight but I mostly notice it in her head and jaw.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, Irate Panda said:

Well, I was comparing them to how they look today.  English is not my first language so sometimes I use words interchangeably that maybe shouldn’t be.  Basically I guess I mean they didn’t look like a can of busted biscuits especially Meri.  Robyn has gained weight but I mostly notice it in her head and jaw.

Ah, that explains it.  Yes, skinny means thinner than average even unattractively thin.  Right, those two weren't pudge balls at the beginning of the show.  The theory many people had was that Meri had purposely dieted before filming began.  

• Useful 5
10 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

I was taken by Janelle's face-she was very pretty.

I have to revise my previous comment. Thanks to Panda's suggestion, I was able to watch a few episodes of S1. What I saw was regular Janelle. The very pretty Janelle I saw on the Natalie Morales Special appears to be the creation of NBC's hair and makeup. They do great work. Anyone think they make house calls? I could use a session😊

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, deirdra said:

And Robyn expected to be served breakfast during her unannounced visit since she hadn't eaten breakfast before leaving her mansion.

Perhaps Christine is undergoing exposure therapy so that she can learn to tolerate the presence of toasters.

They’re not Mormons. And they’ve been loosening the rules of their offshoot “religion” bit by bit. For example, they used to wear shirts under tank tops for modesty but this week in her talking heads, Robyn was wearing a top that allowed peekaboo glimpses of cleavage. I’m not being a bitch; I’m glad to see them edging toward the mainstream and I hope the women eventually all head in whatever direction makes them genuinely happy. It’s the only reason I watch - hoping to see them revolt against this ridiculous “marriage” that doesn’t seems to be working for anyone (not even Robyn).

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ah, that explains it.  Yes, skinny means thinner than average even unattractively thin.  Right, those two weren't pudge balls at the beginning of the show.  The theory many people had was that Meri had purposely dieted before filming began.  

I’m confident that I would be eating my feelings like mad if I had been brainwashed into sharing my spouse. 

I think Kody also looks terrible. In the early footage and pix from their younger days he didn’t seem to have developed his black-eyed Charlie Manson death laser. He had really nice hair, which I’m sure he’s sorry to be losing, but turning it into a Medusa head and randomly shaving areas of his skull is not a great solution. He looks demented half the time as he glares, admonishes the women as if they are children, and makes his various pronouncements. 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

The theory many people had was that Meri had purposely dieted before filming began.  

I can't blame her for that.  I would go on a diet if I knew I was going to be filmed.  

Directv only had the wedding episode in the folder for S1, but there is a folder for specials.  Actually the wedding episode they have seems maybe to be a blend of 2 episodes as it is a real mish-mash although i like one of the ads with a jogging cat.

Meri and Kody looked happier.  They even kissed.   She was helping him with his bow tie, I think.  In a way it was icky because it looked more like a mom helping her son get ready for the wedding.   You could tell the jealousy was just under the surface as she said she wished it were her wedding night.

I am confused about the house in Lehi.  From the angle they show it, it looks like it should be two identical two storied apartments at each end with an apartment in the middle instead of Janelle upstairs and Christine in the basement.   I would love to see the floor plan. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I am confused about the house in Lehi.  From the angle they show it, it looks like it should be two identical two storied apartments at each end with an apartment in the middle instead of Janelle upstairs and Christine in the basement.   I would love to see the floor plan. 

Imagine the left side and the right side are two separate apartments.  Janelle had the left side top and bottom.  Meri had the right side top, and Christine had the right side bottom.  Here is a video explaining it: https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/sister-wives/videos/tour-the-brown-family-home

• Useful 4

if Robyn is so great at helping out the other relationships, why have two of them steadily gone downhill? And if Robyn is always having to correct Kody’s selfish, inconsiderate behavior to the other wives, why does she still like him? Also, if she keeps staying and keeps liking Kody, she has to think the trouble is someone else’s fault. 

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Robyn is a stealthy assassin and wants that awful man to herself which is kind of crazy given his behavior. So she's going to try to quietly pull all the other relationships apart. By being "helpful".

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 16
54 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Robyn is a stealthy assassin and wants that awful man to herself which is kind of crazy given his behavior. So she's going to try to quietly pull all the other relationships apart. By being "helpful".

Anyone who has been around kids would recognize Robyn's "tells" that she's lying.  That perplexed look of sincerity isn't fooling anyone.

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Anyone who has been around kids would recognize Robyn's "tells" that she's lying.  That perplexed look of sincerity isn't fooling anyone.

This group doesn't have a clue. The kids actually might see it, I'd pay money to have Truely say something.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, chuckity said:

I won't pay the bastards to watch their streaming options either - and Real World Homecoming New York only being streaming has pissed me off to no end.   That ain't right.  

Once they've released all of the eps (there's 1 per week, only 2 are available so far), you can do a free trial of Paramount+, watch, cancel 👍

• Love 1

ALSO, all this queen wife/basement wife lingo gives the distinct impression that these men are not expected to be solvent enough to provide additional homes or an equitable plyg home before taking on extra ladies. How did Kody’s (male) elders okay him housing two or three ladies in a trailer? The term basement wife suggests (male) elders all over this practice are sanctioning unions where bankruptcy and welfare are possible outcomes. There’s something disturbing about a man being allowed to just shove a whole woman somewhere/anywhere and get to work on her with no financial (or otherwise) expectations on himself. There’s a hint of sex trafficking in here and I’m not ashamed to be so dramatic.

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
55 minutes ago, Just Wondering said:

I’m not ashamed to be so dramatic.

Nor should you be, the FLDS cult has a long history of exploitation of young girls and ostracization of young boys and men (competition). There is also a significant amount of scamming (see: MLMs and "bleeding the beast"). The Mormon church was founded on scamming and the grift continues. It's a loudly whispered secret and if I weren't moving houses and had packed all my books, I'd pull out Under the Banner of Heaven and give it a reread.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
21 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Imagine the left side and the right side are two separate apartments.  Janelle had the left side top and bottom.  Meri had the right side top, and Christine had the right side bottom.  Here is a video explaining it: https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/sister-wives/videos/tour-the-brown-family-home

Thanks.  I can see how having kids constantly trooping thru Meri's living room would be a problem for her, but I wouldn't make them go outside in the bad weather.   This just seems like a bad design flaw to not have a connecting door on the basement level between Janelle and Christine or they could put in an ambulatory like churches have around the back.

I am watching the few older episodes I can get on my Directv, and they do seem a lot happier.  Janelle is constantly shown worrying about money.  I suspect that is why she is in a ranch while everyone else is in a much nicer looking house.   I was also surprised at the nice rentals they had in Las Vegas.

in one of them Kody and Janelle are camping in Arches National Park,  Before they leave Kody wants to buy new sleeping bags as the old ones have broken zippers.  Janelle refuses to spend money on new ones.  She also wants to take a quilt in case it gets cold at night;  Kody objects due to lack of space.  They take the blanket and Kody is glad they did because it gets cold at night.   (it is a desert, Kody).  He took his cute little convertible so I wondered if the TLC crew helped take the rest of the camping equipment for them.  The trunk of the convertible would probably be unable to hold no more  than the tent, quilt, and sleeping bags, plus a few backpacks.  Growing up we had a Buick Electra convertible (66 or 65 model) followed by another full size Buick convertible about 3 years later;  they were huge with massive trunk space.    Kody's car was a little 2-seater.

• Useful 4
23 hours ago, Just Wondering said:

There’s a hint of sex trafficking in here and I’m not ashamed to be so dramatic.

It is more than a hint.  Warren Jeffs' group and their Canadian Blackmore friends have been trafficking underage teen girls across the border to provide some new genetic material for decades. The LeBaron side of Christine's plyg royalty traffics young girls across the US/Mexico border.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5