Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Pashion Footware; Souper Cubes; Byoot Company; Sienna Sauce

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Kendra Scott, Kevin, Lori, Barbara

Sexy and comfortable high heels for women; Storing food in squares for more effective storage and food eating results; Bathing suit brands for women that look sexy and solve a problem of comfortability; Barbecue sauce that can be used in food recipes

Pashion Footwear-convert from high heels, to flats.  However, since the shoe is arched for the high heel, they look like elf shoes when they convert to flats.  (My mother and her friends would take high heels, and if a heel broke, or something, a shoemaker would cut the heels off, and turn them into flats.   Their toes would stick up, and the ball of your foot is what's hitting the sidewalk, not the entire shoe).  The high heels to flats did nothing for me.   I would rather carry a tote with a spare set of flats, than carry spare parts for shoes that looked rather uncomfortable, especially for the price.  No deal.

Souper Cubes-better way to freeze soup or other leftovers, in rectangles, pop the top on, freeze.  When you want to use one cube, pop it out and heat.    Lid, and containers look very sturdy, and have patents pending.    They sold over $900k in 2018, They're looking for a mentor.   Sharks look very enthusiastic.     It looks like a great product, and the cubes look like they would hold at least one big serving, depending on what it is. They have a 2 cup size and 1 cup size.  This would be great for people who prep food once a week.    They made a deal with Lori.  This be so successful on QVC, and I bet they will keep expanding.    If you meal prep, or do scratch cooking at home, I think this product would be very useful.   They looked sturdy, the lids looked very thick too.    For the price, you could reuse this product endlessly. Great product.  (I have ads for Souper Cubes all over my screen too).    

Byoot Company-Comfortable bathing suits?  I'm not we need another swimsuit company.  If they're aiming at the 40 plus age group, there are a lot of swim suits out there.    I didn't like the style of the suit, and I didn't care about their little skit.  Kendra Scott made the deal.   I agree with Kevin, take the suits out behind the barn, and shoot them.   The problem with body suits, and other clothing with snaps at the crotch is the snaps don't always stay closed, and I guess you don't sit down on them either.    I didn't find the suit attractive at all.    

Sienna Sauce-BBQ sauce, it also works in other foods. Very crowded space in the stores.   However, it's hard to find a BBQ sauce without High Fructose Corn Syrup, and this product doesn't have it.   The mother is so impressive, but the daughter is even more impressive. I looked and they only sell at Wegman's, and in HEB and others in Texas.    Considering this week's horrible weather, I hope they're OK.     I hope Kendra finds them a co-packer, and this will be available all over the country, and a lower price point would really help sales too.    I think Target would stock it, they have a lot of other Shark Tank foods, and they actually have a huge grocery section now.   Kendra Scott does the deal.   

I hated the bows on Lori's sleeves.

Kendra Scott is a very popular designer of high end jewelry, if you look at her web site, you'll probably recognize a lot of the items. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I don't get the sales or need for the souper cubes.  Find it hard to believe there aren't other people ducts out there like it, but the sales are impressive.

The high heel shoe conversion I think was the best idea.  Would seem to have the biggest market even if she didn't get a deal.  It's matter of if her money can keep up to stay in business.  

Sauce......sounded good but hard to judge without tasting it.  

Women's swim suits I have no idea about that market. But again have a hard time believing there aren't similar products out there.  Plus they didn't touch on it but with the name it marketing it really does nothing to point out the supposed problem or how this product solves it. 

The heels idea seems like a good idea, but I didn't love the look of those heels. Granted, I am not a shoe person. I think most heels are ugly, I wear them as little as possible. 

The containers seemed like they would be nice to have, but I don't think I'd spend much money for them.

I don't get the need for the swimsuit with snaps.  I agree that it is a pain to have to go to the bathroom when your bathing suit is wet, but the solution is to buy tankinis. They have the convenience of two pieces, but the top fully covers your midriff area. There are millions of them out there already. The idea of snaps looks like it would be much harder to work, and have to undo/redo all the time. I don't know why no one brought up the idea of competition and similar products.

I liked that the girl who made the sauce just casually mentioned being homeless, and didn't seem to be trying to use it as a sob story.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 7

The shoe idea sounded good, but 1) there was another heel replacement shoe on Shark Tank a few years ago, 2) the shoe material looked like plastic and not very comfortable.  I don’t wear heels anymore, and even when I did, I didn’t spend a lot of money on shoes.  I guess in today’s fashion circles, $150 is not a lot of money for a pair of shoes, but I don’t think people are paying $150 for plastic shoes, are they?  The young lady made a good pitch though, and knew her stuff.

The freezer storage trays looked like they will solve a problem for some folks.  Not me, but I can see them doing well.

Bathing suit was not interesting to me.  I am one of the 40+ consumers she was pitching to.  You know how I solved the hard-to-get-on-when-wet swim suit dilemma?  I switched to wearing board shorts and a coordinating tankini top. Game changer!  

Mom and daughter sauce company had a great story, and I’m glad they got a deal.

Regarding Kendra Scott...you guys? Did you know she started a BILLION a dollar business??? From right inside her own home??  And she’s from Wisconsin??  And also, people told her she would never succeed, but she DID!  She has a BILLION dollar business!I  dislike her more than the SPANX Shark, but not nearly as much as the Drybar Shark (My most despised Guest Shark will always be that smug douchey cowboy shirt wearing asshole who always reminds everyone he was in on the ground floor of Uber). Why do these guests have to read and re-read their resumes and list their achievements and aaaallllll the times they were told ‘no’ every.single.time. they open their yaps?  

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I came here to post about tankinis also. You guys beat me. That suit looked ridiculous and seemed difficult to maneuver. 

I’m interested in the souper cubes. They seem to be a great improvement on my existing plastic containers, which sometimes get damaged in the freezer and done offer the convenience of popping out the food and stacking neatly. Lori was right to call it a hero product. 

I’d love to try those sauces. 

• Love 4

The shoes would give me pause because once the heel is removed, there's an open slot in the sole. Which can get packed with dirt, grit, and gravel. She should be selling some kind of cover or a pick to get all the garbage out. Also, with so many people working virtually and bars/clubs mostly closed there isn't much call for nice shoes at all right now.

Wrestling a wet swimsuit off to use the bathroom is absolutely a pain in the butt. It's almost as annoying getting it back on. I'm not convinced her solution is such a good one though. I mean bodysuits often come with snaps at the bottom for the same reason. Buttons have to be wrestled with and would be even worse with wet material.

$19.95 for silicone freezer trays? Hard pass. Kevin was a lot more flexible with the sauce offer even though they were looking for similar terms.

• Love 1

The convertible heels needed a piece to go in that space after the heel and that stiff insert came out. As someone above mentioned, debris could get in that space. Also it might overcome Kendra’s objection. BTW, is Kendra from WI or TX? She said both.

If you are swimming in the ocean, just pee there! 😏

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Tankinis were a game changer for me.  

Apparently high heel sales are down 70+% due to Covid and may never fully rebound.  The shoes are an interesting idea, but not enough market.  

Edited by DEL901
11 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Regarding Kendra Scott...you guys? Did you know she started a BILLION a dollar business??? From right inside her own home??  And she’s from Wisconsin??

Shoe pitch: “I’m from Wisconsin!”

Sauce ladies: “I’m a Texas gal!”

🤔

The removable high heel may be a good concept, but I don’t think this one worked. It looked rubbery and you’d be walking right on that divot in the bottom. I can imagine that would be very uncomfortable after a while as well, like two sharp edges cutting into the sole of your foot. You would have to then store the heel somewhere, and if you’re going to put it in your purse you might as well just bring a pair of flats to change into.

Souper Cubes looks great, but don’t products like that already exist? I’m almost certain I’ve seen things like that at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I liked the sauce women. They seemed genuine and they did not use their former homelessness as a sob story like so many others would have. No fake tears and ploys for sympathy. Their product sounded good but food is something I’d have to taste first before buying. 

I hated the bathing suit thing. First of all, what the hell is the name supposed to mean? Why is it misspelled so idiotically? “Byoót” instead of “Beaut”? How does that even relate to a bathing suit? It also was ugly and it seems to me it would be more difficult to get those buttons reattached than to simply pull the suit up. Hasn’t that woman ever learned to just pull the bottom aside when peeing?

• Love 4

I was surprised with all the Sharks reactions to Souper Cubes. Maybe because they had good sales, but jeez, you would think this was the most revolutionary product. How is there not something already like this? And is it really that much trouble to use a basic Glad container, freeze it, and create my own portions when I want it again vs spending $19.95 for it? I guess it makes sense with the current saturated meal prep market but I guess I was just surprised at how well their sales were. Right when they started I thought this was going to one of those, “This is a product not a business”.

Edited by TM101
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TM101 said:

I was surprised with all the Sharks reactions to Souper Cubes. Maybe because they had good sales, but jeez, you would think this was the most revolutionary product. How is there not something already like this? And is it really that much trouble to use a basic Glad container, freeze it, and create my own portions when I want it again vs spending $19.95 for it? I guess it makes sense with the current saturated meal prep market but I guess I was just surprised at how well their sales were. Right when they started I thought this was going to one of those, “This is a product not a business”.

This is exactly what I thought. I couldn't believe they were all so thrilled and that the products sell so well. My two roommates and I have three freezers and rely heavily on using Glad containers of several sizes to freeze leftovers. Lots of people don't even bother buying those, they just use containers that came with cottage cheese or sour cream. 

• Love 1

I have souper cubes and I love them.  I use them for stock and soup = freeze them in the trays, then pop them out and store.  It's a very efficient way to use my limited freezer space, the lid makes freezing easier and they are sturdy and well made.  Well worth the price.  I also liked the couple - their friend not so much, that was pretty amateurish. 

I thought the swim suit was a total loser - yes, it is a problem but there are a lot easier solutions out there.  Good luck educating your potential audience.

The removable heels - boy, those flats looked totally uncomfortable, especially with that huge hole in them.  Then you have to carry your heels around.  I think it's a very limited market.  I did think  he young woman was awesome and will do well.

I liked the sauce duo, the sauce looked good.  I think I'm like a lot of people,  I love sauces and condiments especially since we no longer go out to eat.

I have no idea who Kendra Scot is, and don't really care.  I recognize that self-promotion is the point but I feel sorry for any entrepreneur who is stuck making a deal with a guest shark.  Has anyone looked at guest shark/original shark outcomes?

Finally, I just have to say how ugly were those bows on Lori's dress.  Ugh.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

The shoe idea sounded good, but 1) there was another heel replacement shoe on Shark Tank a few years ago, 2) the shoe material looked like plastic and not very comfortable.  I don’t wear heels anymore, and even when I did, I didn’t spend a lot of money on shoes.  I guess in today’s fashion circles, $150 is not a lot of money for a pair of shoes, but I don’t think people are paying $150 for plastic shoes, are they?  The young lady made a good pitch though, and knew her stuff.

The freezer storage trays looked like they will solve a problem for some folks.  Not me, but I can see them doing well.

Bathing suit was not interesting to me.  I am one of the 40+ consumers she was pitching to.  You know how I solved the hard-to-get-on-when-wet swim suit dilemma?  I switched to wearing board shorts and a coordinating tankini top. Game changer!  

Mom and daughter sauce company had a great story, and I’m glad they got a deal.

Those shoes looked like stripper heels to me. They looked cheap and I agree with others about the open channel in the bottom when you convert them to flats. I am not a market for heels, though, convertible or otherwise.

I am also in the 40+ (+10) demo the suits were supposedly aiming at and I 100% agree on the board shorts and tankini top solution. Their suits looked lke they were kind of aiming for a 50s vibe but she isn't a designer and missed it.

I was so impressed by the sauce company women. I went to Amazon this morning and bought a three-pack (exactly the same price from Amazon as buying direct). We shall see.

2 hours ago, mjc570 said:

She always dresses way too juvenile. Those bows were idiotic.

• Love 1

A cousin of mine who married into the military in the 70s taught me to make frozen food leftovers in ice cube trays and Tupperware. She learned it from other military wives. I have been doing that ever since, I guess the souper cubes would be handy for portion control. But you can do it with what’s already in your house.

How about just never wearing heels again? That’s my take away.

• Love 5

My favorite frozen trick is to slice up lemons and limes, freeze them on a cookie sheet, then pop them into a plastic bag for storage (they stay separate because they are frozen).  Wonderful for chilling white wine, without worrying about ice dissolving.  Also gives a nice citrus pop.

• Useful 1

When the shoe presenter left the tank, the heels were back on her shoes and it looked like they were awkward to walk in-so along with comments about how it may be hard to walk in them without the heels, it may also be true that it would be hard to walk in them with heels.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

When the shoe presenter left the tank, the heels were back on her shoes and it looked like they were awkward to walk in-so along with comments about how it may be hard to walk in them without the heels, it may also be true that it would be hard to walk in them with heels.

I noticed that too - she could hardly walk in them back down the hallway.

I’m not a heels person anyway, but if I were, I’d spend the money on one pair of heels and one pair of flats - done. These are too expensive for what they are (and I get that that’s a scale thing), particularly since these styles were not especially professional looking.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't get the sales or need for the souper cubes.  Find it hard to believe there aren't other people ducts out there like it, but the sales are impressive.

There are so many other products like it. I don't know how they are going to get a patent approved. Did they ever say what they thought was unique about theirs'?

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The high heel shoe conversion I think was the best idea.  Would seem to have the biggest market even if she didn't get a deal.  It's matter of if her money can keep up to stay in business.  

The shoes looked really cheaply made, and when she was wearing it with the heels it didn't look like it was giving her arch support in the right spot. No wonder her feet hurt!. I can't see a market for them outside of teenagers or college students. Anyone with more disposable income and common sense would decide to wear shoes that are appropriate for the occasion or bring a spare pair with them to change into.

• Love 3
On 2/20/2021 at 9:58 AM, TM101 said:

They tried to make it sound as though the only alternative to their product was a freezer bag. Also, Kendra's claim that it was almost impossible to get one serving of baby food out of an ice cube tray was pretty stupid. Did it ever occur to her to empty the entire tray into a freezer bag, then take the portions out one at a time? It's not rocket science. How was their 2T mold any different than an ice cube tray?

• Love 5
On 2/20/2021 at 4:11 PM, jabRI said:

Sorry, but Lori always looks ridiculous, no idea who styles her.  I cringe when I see her in the 'Sargeant Pepper' outfit.  

Any time she wants to stop her "I'm giving you a Golden Ticket" as though that is supposed to be some sort of advantage the other snarks don't have, it won't be soon enough. Lori: You just aren't as special as you think you are.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, GussieK said:

I came here to post about tankinis also. You guys beat me. That suit looked ridiculous and seemed difficult to maneuver. 

Is "ridiculous" a synonym for "ugly?" They looked like the sun suits that little girls used to wear in the 1960s. It might have been cute on a toddler, but it still went out of style and never came back for a reason.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, BusyOctober said:

I wear a Danckin leotard with shorts. The fabric is much more forgiving than the spandex used for traditional swim suits, so it is no problem to get in and out of when wet. As far as it not being fashionable: I don't care.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

Is "ridiculous" a synonym for "ugly?" They looked like the sun suits that little girls used to wear in the 1960s. It might have been cute on a toddler, but it still went out of style and never came back for a reason.

Oh, god, I wore those as a little tyke in the late fifties.  They were all gathered like bloomers at the bottom with string ties at the shoulders. 

• Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, BusyOctober said:

Bathing suit was not interesting to me.  I am one of the 40+ consumers she was pitching to.  

She didn't know who she was pitching to. At first she was talking about pregnant woman, except none of the suits she showed were maternity wear. Then she switched to older woman, only a small percentage of whom would still be able to get pregnant. She left herself with a pretty small target market.

9 hours ago, eel21788 said:

The shoes looked really cheaply made, and when she was wearing it with the heels it didn't look like it was giving her arch support in the right spot. No wonder her feet hurt!. I can't see a market for them outside of teenagers or college students. Anyone with more disposable income and common sense would decide to wear shoes that are appropriate for the occasion or bring a spare pair with them to change into.

They had zero arch support when flat. She talked about the arch going away when it was flat like that was a good thing, but most flats have an arch built into the sole for comfort.

4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

She didn't know who she was pitching to. At first she was talking about pregnant woman, except none of the suits she showed were maternity wear. Then she switched to older woman, only a small percentage of whom would still be able to get pregnant. She left herself with a pretty small target market.

She said at one point the suits had nothing to do with being pregnant. She just happened to be pregnant when she came up with the idea, and I guess that was why she was wearing a one piece? But I think she just wanted to mention that she'd had a baby recently. It seemed to confuse the Sharks though.

2 hours ago, jabRI said:

I can't picture the bathing suit even working.   To me, rebuttoning once they are all wet would be just as much of a headache.  

Yes! Plus, a bigger pain with one piece bathing suits is going to the bathroom when you have on a dress-like cover up on, or shorts and a T-shirt over the suit. Her buttons don't solve that problem at all, you'd still have to take the shirt/dress off to get to the buttons. But I will point out again, this is another problem tankinis solve. Do they not sell them in Iowa or something?

• Love 3

Also, Kendra's claim that it was almost impossible to get one serving of baby food out of an ice cube tray was pretty stupid.

I was curious if there was souper cube competition being sold so I did a bunch of googling. Whole bunch of silicone freezer trays out there with smaller compartments specifically marketed and labeled for baby food. And they are like $7-$10. Also a lot of giant ice cube trays that are 2" x 2", that would work just fine for soup. One was $5.99 and I'm sure saran wrap or aluminum foil could cover it , and some came with covers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On 2/20/2021 at 12:22 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

The shoes would give me pause because once the heel is removed, there's an open slot in the sole. Which can get packed with dirt, grit, and gravel. She should be selling some kind of cover or a pick to get all the garbage out.

I had the exact same thought.  They also looked like really cheap vinyl.  For $150+, I expect more

On 2/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, mjc570 said:

She looked so twee.  One bow - maybe.  Three on each sleeve - nobody over the age of 16 should wear that dress.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, Quickbeam said:

A cousin of mine who married into the military in the 70s taught me to make frozen food leftovers in ice cube trays and Tupperware. She learned it from other military wives. I have been doing that ever since, I guess the souper cubes would be handy for portion control. But you can do it with what’s already in your house.

How about just never wearing heels again? That’s my take away.

We freeze lunch portions all the time, but we want something that you can pack in your lunchbox to take to work (ok, not lately).  You need individual containers for that.

I've also just given up on heels.  Life is too short.  When I go to a big shindig these days, it's all about the dancing, and you need decent shoes for that.  I have some really cute comfy flats (including sparkly silver!) and I wear those.

On 2/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, eel21788 said:

They tried to make it sound as though the only alternative to their product was a freezer bag. Also, Kendra's claim that it was almost impossible to get one serving of baby food out of an ice cube tray was pretty stupid. Did it ever occur to her to empty the entire tray into a freezer bag, then take the portions out one at a time? It's not rocket science. How was their 2T mold any different than an ice cube tray?

I also made huge batches of baby food and froze it in a dozen ice cube trays, and then I transferred them to large Ziploc bags.  I never once thought that this was a problem that needed fixing.

11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Seriously! Why didn’t they have snaps instead of buttons? 

I think that snaps would be more likely to pop open and - SURPRISE!  But they were very fugly suits.  And that mesh that she added in was not stretchy - it was just there - gaping and wrinkling.  Kevin was right about the barn.  Honestly, a tankini is just so much easier to deal with.  I will not buy or wear any other style anymore.

• Love 3

I get why Kendra tells the people that she was turned down, that people said she’s crazy for wanting a jewelry business when there’s thousands of them out there , etc . because sometimes people need to hear not to give up and that they can make it happen even when people say you can’t . That being said , she comes off very thirsty for attention and cuts the other sharks off . She seems to like to hear herself talk a little too much . And omg we get it , you made a billion dollar business . But wtf , where she’s from seems to be dependent on where the entrepreneur is from . 

Kevin’s  really the only “ shark “ on the show . Maybe Barbara too ., but the rest of them give off the phony nice vibe . Kevin’s royalties are annoying and he almost never gives a person just a straight equity deal or a deal anyone would want  , but I like that he tells it like it is and doesn’t tip toe around these people , especially their sob stories . He just wants to know numbers , as he’s investing in a business . 

Edited by Jax7917
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

I get why Kendra tells the people that she was turned down, that people said she’s crazy for wanting a jewelry business when there’s thousands of them out there , etc . because sometimes people need to hear not to give up and that they can make it happen even when people say you can’t . That being said , she comes off very thirsty for attention and cuts the other sharks off . She seems to like to hear herself talk a little too much . And omg we get it , you made a billion dollar business . But wtf , where she’s from seems to be dependent on where the entrepreneur is from . 

I love jewelry, but I've never heard of her.  So, I checked out her website.  She's got some ok stuff, but there is really nothing there that makes me ooh and aah and think that what she has is so unique and different.  I've seen it all before - a lot of it at lower price points too.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, aemom said:

I love jewelry, but I've never heard of her.  So, I checked out her website.  She's got some ok stuff, but there is really nothing there that makes me ooh and aah and think that what she has is so unique and different.  I've seen it all before - a lot of it at lower price points too.

I also found it weird that I never heard of her but she has a billion dollar company .. and I’m into jewelry too . 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

I also found it weird that I never heard of her but she has a billion dollar company .. and I’m into jewelry too . 

46 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Same here for me.  I just never heard of her either.  I looked up her jewelry, and it seems middle of the road.  How could she have a billion-dollar company with that?

• Love 1

I’ve seen Kendra Scott jewelry at many department stores— it’s usually the stuff on racks, not behind the counter. And always on sale. It’s not particularly special, but it’s a good price point if you want to sell high volumes of merchandise and it’s inexpensive enough that customers will be able to buy more of it as jewelry trends change.  She’d be a good partner if your company wants to sell mid-level retail merchandise, but I’m curious what else she’d actually bring to the table besides money. 

• Love 1

the footwear lady is again making a very complex solution to a no-brainer problem.  Rather than take the heels off and put them in your pocketbook, pull out a pair of foldable ballet flats and dance all night long.  End of problem

• Love 4
On 2/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, KaveDweller said:

She said at one point the suits had nothing to do with being pregnant. She just happened to be pregnant when she came up with the idea, and I guess that was why she was wearing a one piece? But I think she just wanted to mention that she'd had a baby recently. It seemed to confuse the Sharks though.

I wondered if she had to got to the bathroom more often when pregnant?

The suits were ugly though.  Looked like something a toddler is supposed to wear.