Type keyword(s) to search

Barbara Corcoran: Tough but Fair

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Mine too.  She might be no-nonsense shoot-from-the-hip, but at least she doesn't BS around like some of the others do.

Like when Lori offers up lavish praise to people, only to say that she doesn't want to invest with them because "they don't need her."

My problem with Barbara is that she can get really personally mean with some of the "contestants".  Of all the Sharks, she's the one who will often tell someone, "I like your product, but for some reason, I just don't like you", or  "You just don't look like a success", or "You don't look like someone I'd want to be in business with.  I don't think I could trust you." 

Remember when she told the BBQ sauce guy that he looked like the piggy mascot?  (She was right, but still--she's on TV!)

• Love 1

Interesting interview with Barbara, who was initially rejected in lieu of a "younger, busty blonde." No, not Lori. The woman isn't named, but it makes me wonder.

http://www.businessinsider.com/shark-tanks-barbara-corcoran-on-being-rejected-2015-2

Interesting.  My first thought was Suzanne Sommers but she's in her 50s.  I think she'd drive Cuban nuts so that would be fun.  Here's the email Barbara sent:

http://www.sharktankpodcast.net/barbara-corcoran/

Barbara does commercials for a local real estate tax appraiser who helps you fight the assessment on your home.  In it, she calls him a true shark. 

IMO, it really cheapens the brand and Barbara's image.

• Love 2

She does a local commercial here for an individual realtor (not a realty company), who she also calls "a real shark".  Apparently her endorsements are for sale.

• Love 2

She does a local commercial here for an individual realtor (not a realty company), who she also calls "a real shark".  Apparently her endorsements are for sale.

She shills for a local realtor here in San Diego, too.  Personal endorsement, indeed.

I have heard Lori on the radio advertising some local (I think) company out here on the East Coast, though I couldn't pay enough attention to remember anything about it.

She shills for a local realtor here in San Diego, too.  Personal endorsement, indeed.

IMO, it cheapens her image but also the show.  Did she get clearance to use the shark label?  Is that then implied endorsement fro the show?  Seems sloppy and cheap.

For the most part, I like Barbara.  I find her digs at Lori to be a little off (though Lori would annoy me big time) and I think her 'feud' with Kathie Lee Gifford to be silly and beneath her.  This to me seems worse.

• Love 2

IMO, it cheapens her image but also the show.  Did she get clearance to use the shark label?  Is that then implied endorsement fro the show?  Seems sloppy and cheap.

For the most part, I like Barbara.  I find her digs at Lori to be a little off (though Lori would annoy me big time) and I think her 'feud' with Kathie Lee Gifford to be silly and beneath her.  This to me seems worse.

I agree, Lola16.  Barbara was one of my favorites, but the minute I saw her local endorsement cheesy ad she lost some major points.   :-(

• Love 2

I've met Barbara. She sold at a company event I attended. She was awesome-funny, personable, and very pretty in person. I was actually a bit surprised at how attractive she was, she has serious charisma in person.

• Love 3

From Barbara's AMA: "In my opinion Robert should come out of the closet."

I assume she was serious? If so, I think it's none of her business to blab that.

Read the whole thing. In context she appears to be joking. 

Kill, marry, fuck, do business with: Mark, Kevin, Daymond, Robert?

[–]barbaracorcoran 1417 points 3 days ago

Sleep with Mark Cuban any day – and do business between the sheets. From what he looks like in a suit, I’m sure I wouldn’t be disappointed.

Like everybody else I’d like to kill Kevin on a daily basis for all the right reasons.

In my opinion Robert should come out of the closet.

I’d like to have a beer with Daymond because he is the funniest man alive.

Did I get off topic?

I agree, Lola16.  Barbara was one of my favorites, but the minute I saw her local endorsement cheesy ad she lost some major points.   :-(

Same here, and she endorses a local realtor in Chattanooga, TN. I guess she'll endorse most anyone if the price is right. How disappointing.

• Love 1

Barbara doesn't seem to check out her endorsements very well. She uses the exact same endorsement language for everyone. I watched the clip from my area and two agents from Hawaii and the intros are the exact same. She does personalize it when she talks about why she would pick the agent she's endorsing, but it's very generic. For the Hawaii one she said "their marketing strategy is so effective that if your home doesn't sell on terms you're happy with, they'll buy it."

Also a company she endorsed is now embroiled in an SEC receivership. The company was apparently peddling "virtual concierge machines" that would have printable coupons and would make investors money by charging companies to put their coupons in the machine. Barbara endorsed the company that was selling this "business opportunity." They are now in receivership for being a Ponzi scheme. I'm curious how much checking she does into companies that she endorses. My guess is only as much as making sure that the check clears.

• Love 1

Same here, and she endorses a local realtor in Chattanooga, TN. I guess she'll endorse most anyone if the price is right. How disappointing.

She has millions and does what makes her money wherever she chooses.  I say Bravo and see nothing wrong with doing advertising. It is no different that a celebrity being the face of Este Lauder or being in a commercial for a product.  

• Love 1

She has millions and does what makes her money wherever she chooses.  I say Bravo and see nothing wrong with doing advertising. It is no different that a celebrity being the face of Este Lauder or being in a commercial for a product.  

I think there is a difference. If a celebrity promotes Este Lauder, the customer is paying for say a lipstick. If the lipstick puts the desired color on the person's lips, it's done what it is supposed to do. The consumer knows what they are getting for their money.

Barbara appears to be endorsing investments. She's telling people to put their money into something to get more money in return. Sure people should be skeptical and do more research, but the ponzi scheme is troubling. If something smells rotten, but people trust it because of Barbara's say so, that should diminish her reputation. 

• Love 1