Type keyword(s) to search

Mark Cuban: He's a Maverick

Lisin
  • Start Topic

He's great! But, I hold him responsible for the obsession I now have with all things Dallas Mavericks. I left a game on in the background one night because I knew it was his team and the next thing I know I'm yelling at the TV and bookmarking schedules and swimming in Mavs gear and waking up in the middle of the night to check if we're still in the playoffs...

I hope next season the Mavs ink a deal with NBA League Pass to have a special Cuban Cam at every game. I swear, sometimes watching him (over)react is more fun than watching the game.

• Love 2

So, flipping around last night, I find a shopping channel I'd never heard of before : ShopHQ. And there was Mark, along with a channel hostess (is that what they call them?), displaying several of the products and inventors he's invested in via Shark Tank. I saw the breathalizer via smartphone guys, the sugarscrub young lady, the lollacup (round, can't-spill sippy cup) young parents..who've now expanded their line to include rubber plates with rounded corners, and the powerpot guy (charge your cellphone via a pot of boiling water with special cords).  There were others, but I didn't catch them.  I loved how the inventors now look so much more polished, and how they're now such a "Team Cuban" kind of group. They actually have their own shopping channel team name: Marc Cuban's American Dream. How smart to put them all together like this. Here's a link to the channel's list of his products:

http://www.shophq.com/SearchM/Default.aspx?page=LIST∝=Mark%20Cuban%27s%20American%20Dream|4377&BreadCrumb=prop&catprop=4377

Edited by A Boston Gal

I adore this man.  

disclaimer- I have a crush on him and have for years. 

A deal that deepened my love was "I want to draw a cat for you" guy.  He usually only does deals, in his wheel house (tech) that  have the future to make millions.  He liked this guy, loved the whimsy and just thought I am going to give this guy a gift.  He makes 1000 on each drawing he makes.  Chicken feed for him but he helped someone that caught his heart.  Loved that.  

Edited by wings707
10 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm relatively new to Shark Tank. Today it dawned on me that whenever Mark is interested in a deal, it is far more interesting. Not sure why, possibly because he picks his spots, but it is definitely true for me. 

He’s the Shark that completes his deals and makes them successful, more than the others. If I walked in there, I’d want him offering me a deal.

Robert backs out the most on the deals after the cameras stop.

• Love 1

Mark loaned his private plane to JJ Barea to take supplies, including much needed generators, to Puerto Rico yesterday. JJ returned with about 30 people including his mom, grandmother and a man who needs surgery. Not sure, but I think he is letting JJ take the plane again on Friday. Props to Mark!!

• Love 7
On 9/28/2017 at 0:37 AM, Spunkygal said:

Mark loaned his private plane to JJ Barea to take supplies, including much needed generators, to Puerto Rico yesterday. JJ returned with about 30 people including his mom, grandmother and a man who needs surgery. Not sure, but I think he is letting JJ take the plane again on Friday. Props to Mark!!

Mark is the man!

• Love 1

On Friday, JJ Barea's wife took Mark's plane again to PR loaded with supplies. I sure hope someone is getting the stuff to the people in most need. Mark seems like a logistics guy so maybe he had something arranged in PR.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

This video was played on the Jumbotron at tonight's Mavs home opener. Whether you are a Mavs fan or not (and if you aren't, some of the basketball references won't be relatable) , you gotta hand it to Mark for dealing with this issue head on. Maybe other sports teams have done something similar...I don't know. But I like it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/920810935974993920

???  What issue?

While discussion of news affecting athletes and management are allowed, posts that contain personal political views are subject to moderation. Such posts will be considered off-topic under site rules and will be removed at the discretion of the mods.

Please remember that this topic is for discussion of Mark Cuban. Consider if your post is primarily about Mark before posting. If your post is primarily about the Mavs, please take that discussion to the Sports forum.

One thing that annoys me about Mark is that he calls people a gold digger because they came on the show for publicity rather than because they need the money. And he gets very offended. Who cares if the person wants PR? The sharks always talk about how the only important thing is how they will make money, and then he bashes them trying to make the money. 

• Love 1

I think Mark’s point of view is that if the company is already successful, they are making a bunch of money... what do they need the Sharks for? I ask myself that about people sometimes who just stare and can’t answer that question.

He also hates people who make health claims they can’t back up, like the kid with the rubber band wrist thingy, and the guy with the vitamin boost pills.

The Sharks hate people who come on the show with no intention of making a deal because it is a waste of their time. They don't want to sit their while someone else films a commercial, they want a chance to actually get some money for the time they spend sitting there.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The Sharks hate people who come on the show with no intention of making a deal because it is a waste of their time. They don't want to sit their while someone else films a commercial, they want a chance to actually get some money for the time they spend sitting there.

I dislike these type of people too, but I think he's getting mad at the wrong target.  It isn't like these people came and stood in line and everyone in line got on the show.  They had to have been screened in some way.  I'm be all over the screeners.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

They had to have been screened in some way.  I'm be all over the screeners.

Most everyone now is recruited by production. I do follow-ups on all the products and I keep seeing “we were at a trade show and were approached by the Shark Tank producers...”

It lessens the show for me, to some degree, especially since I know people who would kill it if they could ever get a call-back.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2018 at 10:22 AM, cooksdelight said:

Where did you read that? I’d be interested in reading also.

There's a in the "As Seen on Shark Tank" that goes into details by shark.  I think the % of deals is higher than 30% and varies greatly by shark, with Mark being the number one closer.  Also, remember, it isn't just because of the shark a deal doesn't go through:  the shark has to do due diligence before closing and if details were misrepresented, they aren't going through with the deal

ETA:  Or it might have been in the "Shark Tank in the media thread".

Edited by DEL901
On 1/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

I was reading that 70 % of the deals don't even go through post-tv so that kinda killed it for me.

Go over the the Shark Tank in the media thread.  There is a link to facts about Shark Tank.  According to this, 80% go through.  And the ones that don't... mainly it isn't the shark that pulled out.

I just watched a fifth season episode with the product that made the iPhone rotate on the table while taking pictures (Cycloramic). 

The entrepreneur initially wanted $90K for 5% I believe. 

Daymond, Kevin, Lori, and Steve Tisch (sub for Robert) all ultimately gave offers of $200-250K for 10%.

Mark lets them do that and then he sweeps in with his $1 million offer for 30% - more than 4 times the other sharks. That was such a sexy move by Mark!

• Love 1