Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Promotions, Podcasts and Magic Tea

ESS
  • Start Topic

Ben needs a serious haircut and shave and it might make him feel better; he’s starting to resemble a mountain man. Let’s hope his podcast doesn’t cost him and Darlene serious money before he starts making money, assuming he does

Glad to see Darlene get a promotion into management; hopefully she doesn’t piss off upper management and get herself into trouble

Jackie had a wild trip. Let’s hope she made a breakthrough

• Love 15
39 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Ben needs a serious haircut and shave and it might make him feel better; he’s starting to resemble a mountain man. Let’s hope his podcast doesn’t cost him and Darlene serious money before he starts making money, assuming he does

Agreed on all of this. 

14 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

The Jeopardy tag scene with Becky, Jackie and Harris was really funny. Great job. 

I liked that, too :D. 

• Love 10

Insert weekly non-use/improper use of masks grumbling here.

It's sweet that Becky's first reaction to Darlene's promotion was congratulations and being a little sad they wouldn't be working side-by-side anymore - only then did she hit her with the threat as union steward.  And her "Yeah, that would make more sense, right?  But, no, it's this bag of sadness" when the family assumes she's the one who got promoted.

Ben is painful to look at by this point, I have to remind myself it accurately reflects his mindset.  It helps that he still makes me laugh each week; I love the "Uh, well, yep" when Darlene asks him if he needs another drink and he demonstrates that his drink is empty, so clearly the answer is yes.

I know there really isn't a quiet place in that overstuffed house, but the kitchen table is not choice one for taping a podcast.  I know they want to film it on the main set, but it's distracting that he's not in the bedroom or something.

Jackie's trip was nowhere near as good as when they were all stoned in the original series' "A Stash From the Past" ("The jig is up!"), but it had some moments.  They can miss me with her now being interested in Neville, though - way to perpetuate the myth that if you just refuse to accept a woman's rejection and hang around long enough, she'll eventually be charmed into dating you.

So we're picking back up with the ridiculous scenario of Mary living there - where has she been, then?  I wondered if this was shot earlier and aired out of order, since Louise and Neville are back, but I don't think previous episodes have played like Darlene was management, so I guess they just didn't write Mary in/her scenes got cut before.

I continue to like Robin, especially how she busts Becky's chops.

And I liked the Jeopardy! tag.  "I'll give you that one, but watch the swearing."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11
51 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I didn’t care for this episode overall. Darlene getting the promotion was good, but everything else was meh. Ben is morphing into David 2.0 and it’s getting old really quick. 

But David always had charm even in his sad sack persona maybe because Johnny  Galeki plays it well and has hella chemistry with Sara Gilbert which I just don’t see with the actor who plays Ben.  I just see a guy who was jealous at his girlfriend’s small amount of success.

The jeopardy tag was funny and so was the poker scene where everyone was trying not to mention drugs in front of Mary.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12

Was this episode shown out of order?  Ben had the same “haircut” as the Halloween episode but in the episode with his dad dying, it was much tamer.  I’m not feeling it this season.  Everything feels very hodgepodge and inconsistent plot lines.

• Love 12

Has Ben even listened to a podcast? Most of them are part time gigs that are done for the love of the topic and hopefully some extra cash. Even ones that have patreon (where you pay for extra podcast contents) still have their full time jobs. Plus Ben needs a major shave. I am hoping Dan cuts his hair and shaves him while Ben is asleep.

I do like Robin, Becky and Darlene dynamic. Hopefully we see more of her. 

Didn't care for the tea scenes. I liked it better when Roseanne and Jackie got high on some weed they found.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

All that facial hair and that mop on his head definitely make him look like a wolfman.

I think he looks like a cuddly Wolverine 😁

Well, at least he finally realized that a paper magazine full of mugshots is no longer a viable business (was it ever?) But I don't like jealousy as the spark for that revelation nor the whole rushing into the venture without giving it any thought. But yeah, he's turning into a Conner by osmosis.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 9

Stoned Jackie in the OG series was far more hilarious than Epiphany Tripping Jackie this time around. ("Is this the sink? AM I SHRINKING?!") But hopefully it created a "breakthrough" so she can move past well, basically her entire life. Louise did a good job. You get the impression that's not the first time she's walked someone through a bad trip/experience with substance.

Podcasts can be successful, but they are a dime and dozen now, so monetizing them is not easy. Ben is not a dummy - you think he would know this. 

• Love 10

I'll have to re-watch at some point, because I missed the whole tea explanation. I did laugh heartily when, after Jackie announced she had to throw up, Neville asked "where should I throw up? Are you guys picky about that?"

Enjoyed the episode overall. Made me laugh more than the last few, and it was good to finally see DJ again.

• Love 8

I thought this was one of their better episodes actually.  The writing was pretty sharp.  I liked the Jeopardy scene at the end and also Becky's line "People who eat people are the luckiest people in the world".  I thought that was clever.

Interesting how this show has always been fairly pro-drug.  I'm glad Jackie decided to give Neville a chance, but she is coming off as a complete loon right now.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I did laugh heartily when, after Jackie announced she had to throw up, Neville asked "where should I throw up? Are you guys picky about that?"

I can't stand Neville, but I laughed damn hard at that.  Great delivery.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I thought this was one of their better episodes actually. The writing was pretty sharp.

I agree - I haven't been a big fan of this season (and/or, the nostalgic love I have for the original show is finally running its course), but this episode felt like a step above. The plot flowed more naturally, and it felt like there were more real conversations happening between characters with the jokes coming up more organically within the dialogue (at least with the Darlene/Ben storyline). I was even able to tolerate and actually laugh at Jackie more because at least her zaniness was being explained away for once by the tea!

And once again, Michael Fishman makes the most of the few lines he's given. Maybe it's a case of 'less is more', but I find DJ to be one of the more reliable characters who makes me laugh consistently and doesn't say anything too cringy.

• Love 8

3 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I seriously thought that Ben was wearing a Davy Crockett hat at the poker game. Get it cut!!

Seriously!  At one point I thought he had donned a particularly bad toupee for some reason.  His beard is growing INTO his hair; soon it's going to start crawling across his face.

3 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Stoned Jackie in the OG series was far more hilarious than Epiphany Tripping Jackie this time around. ("Is this the sink? AM I SHRINKING?!") But hopefully it created a "breakthrough" so she can move past well, basically her entire life. Louise did a good job. You get the impression that's not the first time she's walked someone through a bad trip/experience with substance.

My husband blurted that out while we were watching the show last night.  I 'bout died laughing.  "It's just me.  Just me and my ganja."

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

My husband runs a popular podcast. He earns fairly good money from it. Ben's right, it DOES take a shit ton of work. My DH didn't quit either one of his jobs, though. I understand where Ben's coming from but literally quitting before he's even tried recording anything, and during a pandemic, is grossly irresponsible. If I were Dan, I'd make him move out. And I like Ben. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't stand Neville, but I laughed damn hard at that.  Great delivery.

I liked Dan's line about "Neville thinks he's a butterfly.  If he comes in here, don't tell him any different", or something like that.

44 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

If I were Dan, I'd make him move out. And I like Ben. 

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I might be tempted to tell him he needs to get a job.  But really, if Darlene gives Dan their share of the rent, it really should be between her and Ben.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I liked Dan's line about "Neville thinks he's a butterfly.  If he comes in here, don't tell him any different", or something like that.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I might be tempted to tell him he needs to get a job.  But really, if Darlene gives Dan their share of the rent, it really should be between her and Ben.

I wouldn't let my adult daughter pay both her AND her boyfriend's bills in my house. Shit happens. People lose jobs. People get sick. That's not what happened here, though. Ben willingly gave up his job without good reason. If Darlene and Ben want to live in their OWN place and she wants to support their household while he gets his podcast going then that's one thing. In my house, however, everyone contributes. It's only between the two of them when it's actually just the two of them. Right now it's not. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 11

After the weirdness of the last two episodes, this one was mostly fine, although I agree that it felt oddly out of order with Neville & Louise suddenly showing up again. 

And yes, Ben needs to shave. NOW.

I wonder if the Jeopardy! tag was shot after Alex Trebek died. Sigh, Alex. :'( 

ETA: Oh yeah, and I could get around them eating at La Casita Bonita during the pandemic since it was just them there after hours and since Louise owns the place and knows all of them personally. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, UYI said:

ETA: Oh yeah, and I could get around them eating at La Casita Bonita during the pandemic since it was just them there after hours and since Louise owns the place and knows all of them personally. 

Except for the fact that this is based in Illinois and the restaurants  have been closed for indoor dining since before Thanksgiving until just last week. Many restaurants have had their food license suspended for having anyone inside their building. Plus we’ve got a wanna-be-famous lawyer sueing  the state on behalf of restaurants and bars and losing every time. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Meant sueing not during
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 1/27/2021 at 9:51 PM, DanaK said:

Ben needs a serious haircut and shave and it might make him feel better; he’s starting to resemble a mountain man.

I kind of want to make appointments at the salon or barber for the entire cast.  They are all looking kind of rough.  Ben's appearance is the worst, and honestly, it's to the point where it is a distraction from the story.  He just looks terrible.

2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I wouldn't let my adult daughter pay both her AND her boyfriend's bills in my house. Shit happens. People lose jobs. People get sick. That's not what happened here, though. Ben willingly gave up his job without good reason. If Darlene and Ben want to live in their OWN place and she wants to support their household while he gets his podcast going then that's one thing. In my house, however, everyone contributes. It's only between the two of them when it's actually just the two of them. Right now it's not. 

Wouldn't this just end up driving away both of them?  If the situation was reversed and it was your daughter being supported by her boyfriend, would you demand she leave, or would that be considered okay because it is a woman living off a man?  That's how I looked at the episode.  Ben was making bad decisions, but I did think part of that was because he felt emasculated with Darlene being the higher wage earner.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Except for the fact that this is based in Illinois and the restaurants  have been closed for indoor dining since before Thanksgiving until just last week. Many restaurants have had their food license suspended for having anyone inside their building. Plus we’ve got a wanna-be-famous lawyer during the state on behalf of restaurants and bars and losing every time. 

Fair point. I thought it might be different because I thought it was technically closed, but fair point. (I don't live in Illinois so thanks for letting me know, I know state laws and regulations on dining during the pandemic differ right now.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I kind of want to make appointments at the salon or barber for the entire cast.  They are all looking kind of rough.  Ben's appearance is the worst, and honestly, it's to the point where it is a distraction from the story.  He just looks terrible.

Wouldn't this just end up driving away both of them?  If the situation was reversed and it was your daughter being supported by her boyfriend, would you demand she leave, or would that be considered okay because it is a woman living off a man?  That's how I looked at the episode.  Ben was making bad decisions, but I did think part of that was because he felt emasculated with Darlene being the higher wage earner.  

Neither Darlene or Ben are young.  And where did Ben have an extra $400 ?  Just last week people had to hide food behind a toilet.  It made me think Ben had been holding out. 
He is not very likable right now.  He did not need to quit his job.  He had a gig job that he made his own hours.  There are really people struggling right now.  They could have made this stories with them struggling Relatable.   Right now even if you hate your job you keep it.  

instead protesting Harris could be volunteering.
Becky story could be about struggling being a working single mom.  Why is she so confused over her feelings for Beverlyrose dad (forget his name ).  Is she afraid to open her heart again after Mark?

Darlene has enough stories.  

• Love 7

I was wondering if there was a full moon when I saw Ben. I liked the scene with them all sitting around playing poker. It gives me anxiety, but I like it.

I was laughing about the geriatric chimpanzee. She just lays there and picks at herself. Jackie: it's almost like there's a camera in my bedroom. Me too Jackie, me too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is it legal in Illinois to consider sick time to be vacation?

Some companies offer something they call PTO, which combines sick, personal, and vacation time together  in a single pot. You don’t have to specify which  it is. 

This joke sounded more like the company wasn’t going to offer paid sick time and you would either need to use vacation or be given a reprimand for calling in sick.  I don’t think there’s a law yet that says a company of a certain size has to offer paid sick leave, 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is it legal in Illinois to consider sick time to be vacation?

Thank you. I forgot to mention this. Darlene announcing that sick days are now vacation days especially during a pandemic when anyone can get sick with covid and be off for a minimum of 2 weeks to however long it takes them to get better rubbed me the wrong way. It has to be illegal.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, nokat said:

I was wondering if there was a full moon when I saw Ben. I liked the scene with them all sitting around playing poker. It gives me anxiety, but I like it.

Come to think of it...it was a huge full moon while I was driving home from work yesterday... (I didn't watch the episode until Thursday). "The first full moon of 2021 — the "Wolf Moon" — shines bright in the sky tonight. The first full moon of the year will light up the night sky on Thursday, January 28, 2021"(cbs news)

1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Thank you. I forgot to mention this. Darlene announcing that sick days are now vacation days especially during a pandemic when anyone can get sick with covid and be off for a minimum of 2 weeks to however long it takes them to get better rubbed me the wrong way. It has to be illegal.

I don't know about Illinois, but in NJ they have to give 6 sick days (which my company already did but we got an info sheet about it when the law went into effect anyway). I googled for IL a little and saw something about 1 hour for every X hours worked but I didn't looked much further. Even if it's companies over a certain size, I would think a plastics manufacturer would have enough employees to qualify.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Come to think of it...it was a huge full moon while I was driving home from work yesterday

Yes, it's been annoying because even with curtains and blinds it shows through my bedroom window like a spotlight. 

Unlike Ben though, I only sprouted one new chin hair.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It's not quite the whole scene but it's the best I could find.

Thank you for posting this! You went above and beyond - I was just hoping someone could clue me in enough that I would know whether it was worth searching for (or putting up with "on demand") - but you saved the day.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Where I worked we had PTO - Paid Time Off. It was for anything you wanted it to be, sick, vacation, mental health, just as long as you used your allotted time, you got paid.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Thank you for posting this! You went above and beyond - I was just hoping someone could clue me in enough that I would know whether it was worth searching for (or putting up with "on demand") - but you saved the day.  

The one you missed was the first one when Becky asked a question and Jackie blurted out the answer "Bob Hope" and Harris goes "WHO is Bob Hope?" and Becky says Correct! and gives the point to Harris.   

By the way I have gotten the Final Jeopardy question right every day for a week now.  Even when the contestants got it wrong.   

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 1/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, greekmom said:

Has Ben even listened to a podcast? Most of them are part time gigs that are done for the love of the topic and hopefully some extra cash. Even ones that have patreon (where you pay for extra podcast contents) still have their full time jobs. Plus Ben needs a major shave. I am hoping Dan cuts his hair and shaves him while Ben is asleep.

I do like Robin, Becky and Darlene dynamic. Hopefully we see more of her. 

Didn't care for the tea scenes. I liked it better when Roseanne and Jackie got high on some weed they found.

It was nice seeing Louise again, but the bathroom scene wasn't my cup of tea (see what I did?).  I'm not fond of bathroom vomit scenes, or really any other bathroom scenes.  I even hate toothbrushing scenes.  (I know, I'm weird.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 1/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, MissLucas said:

I think he looks like a cuddly Wolverine 😁

Well, at least he finally realized that a paper magazine full of mugshots is no longer a viable business (was it ever?) But I don't like jealousy as the spark for that revelation nor the whole rushing into the venture without giving it any thought. But yeah, he's turning into a Conner by osmosis.

The gray and black side beard hair reminds me of a skunk.

Agree that Ben has turned into just another Conner.  Which makes me think he and Darlene are married, which they're not.  The are only girlfriend and boyfriend.  Why is Darlene "supporting" him or will be with her Wellman raise?  And he pulls the jealousy card out and gets drunk over it?  What happened to the got-it-together, on-the-ball with a business Ben from his first appearance in Lanford?

• Love 5
On 1/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, rmontro said:

I thought this was one of their better episodes actually.  The writing was pretty sharp.  I liked the Jeopardy scene at the end and also Becky's line "People who eat people are the luckiest people in the world".  I thought that was clever.

Interesting how this show has always been fairly pro-drug.  I'm glad Jackie decided to give Neville a chance, but she is coming off as a complete loon right now.

I'm still not feeling the love between Jackie and Neville.  I wonder if Jackie will backtrack her green light to Neville once she sobers up.  I do think that The Show will not show any lasting epiphany from Jackie and will keep writing her the same as always.  Mark my words.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

This.  And it would be a subzero day in Hell before I would support any boyfriend, let alone whilst semi-freeloading at my parent's home.  (Remember, they just started paying rent.)

Brilliant idea, Ben!  Just quit your job at Instacart which you can work with flexible hours to waiting for your first payday again.  Thank God they've shelved the baby crap.  Ben doesn't deserve to have a baby.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

This.  And it would be a subzero day in Hell before I would support any boyfriend, let alone whilst semi-freeloading at my parent's home.  (Remember, they just started paying rent.)

Brilliant idea, Ben!  Just quit your job at Instacart which you can work with flexible hours to waiting for your first payday again.  Thank God they've shelved the baby crap.  Ben doesn't deserve to have a baby.

Good point about Instacart. It's not even a 9-5 job...

It took my husband's podcast about a year to really make money and he was already a personality in his niche when he started it. By the time his own podcast came out he'd already appeared as a guest on dozens of others, had a big social media following, was writing for a popular website...Ben, on the other hand, is starting from scratch. 

He also didn't need $400 worth of equipment. We started out with an $89 snowflake mic, laptop, and Audacity (a free editing program). You typically don't invest in fancy recording equipment until you start recording and begin seeing exactly what you need. 

On the flipside, I think Ben and Becky should be co-hosts. They have good chemistry. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14